Our "Once in a Lifetime Trip to Disney"...yeah, right

Love your trip report so far! I can't stop laughing! Can't wait for more!!

hugs,

first of all let me say something. you had talked about people writing great reports that everyone just loves. ( you are now in that same company...gratz & thanks for the report). 2nd. did your daughters eye get better? 3rd & i am not picking on you just teasing but man by the time you get this report done you will have to start your next trip report. LOL. awesome report keep it up please. oh one more thing. i actually got teary eyed when you were saying good bye to your dad at the airport. & the coment about the girls-gone-wild. loved it.

Thanks for the good natured ribbing about taking so long to get this report done. Boss is gone today, therefore I shall type!!

Ok, Tink had been granted temporary custody of the autograph pen and we decided to hop the boat over to Norway for our surprise lunch. And to answer your question, no, we really never consulted the park map. Our touring style was to just wander aimlessly and hope we got lucky. I know, you commando-types are covering your mouths in horror. And yes, there were times that this laid-back attitude caused its own share of problems. But it also allowed moments of pure discovery. Such as Princess spotting the Tinkerbell bush. Or my boys taking a break on the little carved tree stumps.

So we hopped on the boat to take us around the lagoon, and as it turned out, we ended up riding clear around the lagoon almost back to where we started. Oh well! A pretty ride and we were basically the only ones on the boat. We walked past Mexico and on to Norway. Now, you'll remember that this lunch was a surprise for Princess. I had been agonizing over my decision to just take her in street clothes and not dress her up in princess clothes. We didn't have a stroller or big back pack to stow it in once we were done, so I had decided to focus on the experience. Well, it sounded good at the time. As we got closer to Norway, it was impossible to ignore the hordes of mini-Cindy's. I started getting that sick feeling in my stomach. What had I done!!?? Was I so selfish that I would deny my child the opportunity to fully immerse herself in the fantasy and don appropriate Princess garb? Would this experience not reach its full potential because my Princess was dressed in a t-shirt and shorts?

As we stood in line and Princess took in all those standing around her, she leaned over and whispered, "Sheeesh, they sure look hot. I'm glad I don't have to wear one of those." :thumbsup2
She did admire one outfit that she found especially beautiful - it was homemade.
So, while I might have done things differently if she had been younger, if it had been cooler, if I had known that so many little girls would be dressed up, - I just wanted anyone that's debating the same thing to know she was not emotionally scarred because she didn't wear a princess dress.

As our family name was announced, we wound our way over to Ariel's grotto for photo ops. Ok, yes, this would have been cuter with the girls in princess dresses. (Then again, I would have felt pressure to buy the photo package. My digital shot was just fine.) We were shown to our table, which ended up being about six inches away from the cold appetizer table. Convenient, because the kids could get their own and I didn't have to follow them like a hawk. So really, they could get up and down to refill their plates as much as they wanted. Except...there wasn't a whole lot on there they wanted. I was glad to see the basic ham, and plain cheese and bread. I can't remember what Bear and I ordered, but the kids got the pizza and pasta. The place was absolutely packed and the tables are very close together, which made the princess interaction a bit difficult. But we got some pretty decent pics of the girls and the princesses. (Dude just kept his face down in his plate, turning red when the princesses would ask the girls who the handsome prince was.) Because of the long line waiting outside, we felt like we should hurry with our meal and leave. We weren't made to feel that way, we just didn't want to linger when we knew other little girls were wanting to come in. All in all, it was a good experience. (Except when Bear had a little nicotine break-down. I don't even remember what it was about, I just remember wishing this storybook lunch included a wicked witch that would come turn him into a toad.) So, like I said, good - but not....I don't know....totally enchanting like I was hoping. Just too crowded, hurried characters, so-so food.

So, lunch over, on with the sights. Well, since we were there, we decided we might as well do Maelstrom. Want to hear something funny? I remember a boat....that's it. :confused3

We wandered over to China and took in the Reflections of China film. Was actually quite informative. Went past Germany and Italy pretty quickly. Unless you're shopping, not a whole lot to see. Before I get flamed here, let me bring up again that it was very hot and I honestly believe we would have enjoyed the World showcase area much more if we hadn't just been zeroed in on someplace cool. I realize that we didn't explore and give each country a chance. We did enjoy the American Adventure. I think the kids got more out of that 30 minute history lesson than they ever have at school. Looked around Japan pretty quickly and missed the dancers in Morocco. Walked past France and United Kingdom, then Bear decided he wanted to check out Canada. While not thrilled, we agreed to go to the Canada movie. (Mainly because it was cool down there.) We did not care for this movie as much as the China one. Maybe it was because, being the second one, we weren't as impressed by the circle vision as the first. But a lot of it had to do with how outdated it was. I understand it was a huge undertaking to make the film, but I think its time for an update.

We agreed we were ready to leave the cultural, educational part of Epcot and go back to the cheap thrills. Unlike every other living breathing human being that entered Epcot's gates that day, we had not proceeded at break-neck speed directly toward "Soarin'". We decided to try it now. OMG - all the hype about this attraction is completely worth it. I just can't put into words the freedom and exhileration. It was without a doubt - our favorite part of the day. Made our way to "Honey I shrunk the Audience" and thoroughly enjoyed it. Then Princess and I got a drink and looked around at the vehicular eye-candy (somehow felt like traitors -we're a Ford family) while the other three did Test Track. They thought it was awesome. Then came the ultimate dilemma: to Mission Space or not to Mission Space...that was the question. It was a no-brainer as far as me and Princess. Tink debated for a while and decided to go for it. (Actually, she really surprised me on this trip. She was much more adventurous than I would have ever guessed) Dude was absolutely going, even if he had to go alone. Bear decided to be brave and try it.

Princess and I looked around, you guessed it, the gift shop and called home while we waited for the rest of the group. I hung up the phone quickly though, when I saw my very green husband and somewhat subdued children emerge from the ride. Bear weaved toward me and said, "Move over, I've got to sit down." I looked at the other two and asked how it went. "It was cool. VERY intense." Bear groaned. And with that...it seemed like a good time to call it a day.

Welcome Back! :cheer2: :woohoo: I was so excited to see the last post was by you. Thanks for the tip about the princess character meal, we are doing this for DD8 and I am too debating the whole dress up thing, in August those princess costumes would seem sooo hot! I guess we will definitely have to bring a change of clothes. :thumbsup2

Don't stay away so long this time. :goodvibes

Another big Welcome Back from me. :wave2: Your writing is always so funny, and honest. Looking forward to more. :Pinkbounc

It is great your back in writing mode your family sound familar.. :thumbsup2

You are not the only one without a park map..I knew the general direction of the must do's but thought it was a blast to explore the parks on the laid-back as you go style and let the kids make the discovery.

My little princess refused to wear her "scratcy" dress up clothes to CRT dinner which didn't bother her one little bit... we are raising independant thinkers! I also took her to the gift shops while waiting for the older ones to get back from the "we don't do" rides.

I loved your comment about not having to watch them like a "hawk" at the buffet, such a relief to actualy sit down at disney for a few momenets... until everyone needs mutliple potty break just as your food arrives.

Looking forward to more! popcorn::

I have been to Epcot many times but i don't think I have ever seen the tinkerbell bush, Where is it? :confused3 Great report.

You think it was miserable for you walking around World Showcase? I had to do it by myself in the middle of Tropical Storm Alberto while my family slept in! I was definitely glad to be wearing flip-flops and the trusty old Disney rainponcho (which is now clear, rather than yellow--helps you figure out which rainponchos ahead of you are yours!). Anyways, I'm glad Tink didn't freak out when she saw all the other little girls in princess dresses. My girls actually did wear princess dresses to CRT, but we did have a backpack and stroller to pack them into after b'fast. I'm not sure how some of these little girls can stand to wear those itchy dresses all day in the parks! Did your DH and kids do the intense version of Mission Space? I decided not to risk it and did the less intense version. Who wants to spend the rest of the day feeling like you've got to carry a trash can around with you?!? Hope his nausea didn't last too long. Can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter