Our mother/son, too much fun, SURPRISE ENDING vacation! May 7-13, 2008

The picture of your son passed out is HYSTERICAL!!!! It also brought tears to my eyes because I started thinking about how he got so wiped out! ( I am seriously considering getting a stroller for my 10 YEAR OLD when we go, she get's seriously cranky (mean) when she's tired!) I could just say she's a very tall 6 year old!!!

How wonderful you guys went to Disneyland the next day!!!! Then you can hit Paris, then Tokyo,.....:rotfl:

Great TR. I have a son the same age. I want to take him for his 5th birthday maybe a mommy/son trip. I've ben trying to figure out if we need the stroller for Nov. We'll need a new one as he's almost 50 lbs if I decide yes.

Oh wow! I love Michael Landon. I remember the day he died :sad1: DS and I have been reading the Little House books lately, and I can't picture Pa as looking like anyone else!

I know what you mean!! This was before Little House on the prarie, but I knew who he was, so it was still exciting!!
Can't wait to hear what happens next!!

The picture of your son passed out is HYSTERICAL!!!! It also brought tears to my eyes because I started thinking about how he got so wiped out! ( I am seriously considering getting a stroller for my 10 YEAR OLD when we go, she get's seriously cranky (mean) when she's tired!) I could just say she's a very tall 6 year old!!!

How wonderful you guys went to Disneyland the next day!!!! Then you can hit Paris, then Tokyo,.....:rotfl:
LOL I'm not QUITE ready for THAT long of a flight w/ him yet :) I saw plenty of 10 year olds in rental strollers so you wouldn't be the only one!

Great TR. I have a son the same age. I want to take him for his 5th birthday maybe a mommy/son trip. I've ben trying to figure out if we need the stroller for Nov. We'll need a new one as he's almost 50 lbs if I decide yes.
Thanks! We would have had a VERY different trip if we didn't have the stroller. Our AK morning was the only time we didn't use it. Walking back the Safari, I carried him for a bit (UGH he's 54 lbs) mostly because he kept stopping right in front of people, and the rest of the time we stopped every 5 mins so he could rest (at his request). I already had the stroller from when he was younger so it was an easy choice, but you have some time so I'd start watching Craigslist for any Maclarens that might come up. You can resell it when you're done so you'd only be out minimal $$.

I know what you mean!! This was before Little House on the prarie, but I knew who he was, so it was still exciting!!
Can't wait to hear what happens next!!
I will try to get it up today! We're off to the park before it starts raining :sad2:

We arrived at DLR around 11:30 and only had to wait a few minutes to get our last MYW day magically turned into a one-day DLR ticket. From what I'd read, it was supposed to be a single-park ticket since we didn't have hoppers, but she gave us a hopper! I really did not have any desire to ride Buzz again, and DS had never been to California Adventure, so we decided to just do DCA for a few hours and then head home (we still had a 90-mile drive ahead of us!)

Once we made it in, we headed straight for Soarin' to get FP's for later. I love the Soarin' building there. It was a little disappointing to see how it's crammed in a little corner at Epcot. Here it gets the attention it deserves!

IMG_0863.JPG

then we spent most of our time in "a bug's land" and Flik's Fun Fair - it was so cute! (See ALL those people under the sign? They are all STOPPED there taking care of various business. :confused3

IMG_0889.JPG

This "land" has ITTBAB (which was closed that day), a "farm" area, and a bunch of kiddie rides. Here are a bunch of pics:

Francis' Ladybug Boogie (Teacups, Jr)
IMG_0875.JPG
IMG_0892.JPG
IMG_0894.JPG

Flik's Flyers (another incarnation of Dumbo!)
IMG_0871.JPG

Heimlich's Chew Chew Train (cute but soooo short and... mellow)
IMG_0891.JPG
IMG_0877.JPG
IMG_0878.JPG

Tuck and Roll's Drive 'Em Buggies (aka bumper cars)
IMG_0868.JPG

Bountiful Valley Farm
IMG_0900.JPG
IMG_0905.JPG
IMG_0896.JPG
IMG_0882.JPG

A few other cool park shots
IMG_0881.JPG
IMG_0887.JPG

Somewhere in there we went to give away our Soarin fastpasses (DS decided he didn't want to ride) and had our best giveaway reaction of the whole trip! :cool1: Then we had some lunch and DS was very excited to spot a hidden Mickey in his lunch (BTW food is more expensive there... Mickey Bars are $4 and kids meals are $5.99!!!):

IMG_0888.JPG

As we were eating, he suddenly looked at me and said "MOM! I got my wish for an extra day! My wish came true!!!" :hug:

Then we went to see Muppets 3-D since that didn't happen on our cranky DHS day, and got mouse ears (when I tried them on he said "Mom you look like Mickey's butt!" It's so hard not to laugh when they say inappropriate things!!!!)

IMG_0886.JPG

I finally let him get soaked (had dry clothes in the car)

IMG_0909.JPG

then let him choose a balloon

IMG_0915.JPG
IMG_0917.JPG

and that was the end of our "bonus" Disney day! We left the park about 3 and were through our front door before 5 pm. I was EXHAUSTED the next day (this was supposed to be our rest day before returning to work/school :lmao:) but we had so much fun and it was cool to do something totally spur of the moment, after all the planning I'd done for WDW!

Awww that is so cool to have a bonus day like that! How fun! Thanks for sharing your trip with us! Your little guy is too cute!

Allyson

Aww fantastic ending :)
I'm so happy you guys got to go to WDW and DLR all in one trip!! I'm not jealous at all!! :rotfl:
"MOM! I got my wish for an extra day! My wish came true!!!"
That's a fantastic quote from your DS!! Yay for Disney magic!!! :thumbsup2 pixiedust:

Oh my goodness. What an awesome extra day. Your son is too cute and its so magical that you squeezed in an extra day and made his wish come true.

-Becca-

Thank you guys for reading!! This was fun to do, and it was cool to know I had someone following along :thumbsup2 (Yikes! They moved the smileys around!)

Awww that is so cool to have a bonus day like that! How fun! Thanks for sharing your trip with us! Your little guy is too cute!

Allyson
Thank you! It was a ton of fun. So many memories I'll never remember them all!!

AWESOME ending!! What a fantastic trip & special memories for you and the little guy. Thanks for sharing. This was a great report!! :goodvibes
Thanks!!! I am so glad you enjoyed it.

Aww fantastic ending :)
I'm so happy you guys got to go to WDW and DLR all in one trip!! I'm not jealous at all!! :rotfl:

That's a fantastic quote from your DS!! Yay for Disney magic!!! :thumbsup2 pixiedust:
LOL I can hardly believe it myself! Yep I'm officially nutso :) I really hope he remembers how much fun we had.

Awesome bonus day!! Thats so cool! WHens the next trip?
We probably won't be back to WDW for 3-4 years. We've done day trips to DL the past two years, so we'll probably continue with that though. For "big" trips, next year we're planning an Alaska cruise with Gramma & Grampa, and then after that I have a million ideas! Seattle, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Washington DC, etc. I grew up vacationing in an RV every summer, and although I have no desire to camp :) I would love to go back to all the national parks I visited as a kid.

Oh my goodness. What an awesome extra day. Your son is too cute and its so magical that you squeezed in an extra day and made his wish come true.

-Becca-
Thanks!! I guess I wasn't quite ready for the magic to be over!!

~~~~~~~~~~

So, final thoughts. I am SO glad I took the plunge and did this trip. I was super nervous going in... kept thinking about all the things that could go wrong. I'm actually kind of glad it was just the two of us! I didn't have to worry about planning around anyone else's wants/needs/energy levels. We were free to do whatever, whenever. Even though I didn't get to do a lot of what *I* wanted to do, you know what, it's ok. I wanted my baby (sorry, big boy) to have the time of his life and that MORE than made up for anything that I might have missed.

I think when we do go on another trip, I will be a lot more comfortable. Even with allllll the research and planning, it was still kind of like flying blind. I hadn't traveled with him alone before, didn't remember much at all from my previous trip... landing in MCO and having to figure out the monorail and find ME, then once we go there, figure out the buses... not to mention navigating the parks!! Our first day in Epcot, I got soooo turned around in FW (more than once) - it looks so nice and easy on the map :confused3 I'm glad I felt confident about all that stuff going in, otherwise I would have been completely overwhelmed!

I keep thinking about all the stuff we didn't do... man you could go for a month and not get bored. Here are my mini-reviews of what we did mostly for my future reference!

Dining
ASMovies food court - not bad! Turkey & muenster sandwich was super yummy. Kids meal breakfast was a ton of food. Fresh whole fruit was relatively cheap, DS liked grapes which were $3.29 though. Pizza delivery was handy although not impressed w/ the pizza.
AK - Flame Tree BBQ - delicious! Would go back here again.
MK -Cosmic Ray's - good variety. Weird setup, different food at each set of window and you can't cross-order. Good burgers/hotdogs and roasted chicken was decent (like supermarket roasted chicken)
MK - Pinocchio's - eh. DS wanted pizza and that was where to get it.
Epcot - Mother's Day Brunch - Decent but overpriced, would skip if I were there for it again.
DHS - Sci Fi Dine-In - Very fun, would go here again, but not a must-do more than once.
Ohana - Would definitely do again! Breakfast was yummy and characters were great. Atmosphere seems less "sterile" than Chef Mickey's (from pics) and family style is the way to go for us.

Pirate & Princess Party - this was fun, but we didn't really do much "party" stuff other than the parade & fireworks. The line-free evening was great though! I'd have to think pretty hard about whether a party would be worth it to do again, it was almost $90.

On the list for next time
Pirate Cruise - if he's not too old. I couldn't get a reservation for this that worked with our schedule. I wish they had an afternoon option, 9:30 was too early for our rest mornings, and it wasn't enough time to hit a park beforehand.
Shows - I didn't get to see any shows and would have loved to see Lion King, Beauty & the Beast, or Nemo.
Fantasmic & Illuminations - I was worried Fantasmic would be too scary and I've seen it at DL plenty of times, so I didn't schedule it in. Would like to see it there someday. We switched our Epcot night to MK so we didn't see Illuminations either. It seems to get mixed reviews, kind of a love/hate, but I'd like to see for myself!
DTD - didn't make it over there at all!
Water parks - DS is kind of at an in-between age and size right now. Next trip he'll enjoy this.

That's all I can think of for now... well thanks again for reading!!! Have a magical day! (lol)

What an awesome trip! You are such a great mom!!

I love our spur of the moment trip to DL - way to keep the magic going!:thumbsup2

What a wonderful way to end a trip of a lifetime! I think you had the right plan and the right idea to make this your sons special trip! It really will be a wonderful memory for him his entire lifetime!
I really enjoyed your reflections also. It was so nice to hear how you summed everything up!
I really enjoyed your report and thank you for sharing your memories with us!

so far i've read only the frist page/ plan to read the rest/ i'm going with ds5.5
in aug staying at asmo and i'm learning what to do and not to do from your trip.:thumbsup2 thanks for all the help your giving me:worship:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter