Our "most excellent" dinner at the Flying Fish

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
Had been a couple of trips since we'd done FF so we were excited about going back. Dinner was set for 7:00 PM--a little later than our usual time, but necessary because we had the Backstage Magic tour for most of the day and we needed that extra hour to get ready. We arrived at the Boardwalk a little early and after the obligatory stroll from one end to the other, we wandered up to the restaurant at about quarter til seven. We were looking at the menu posted outside when one of the hostesses at the podium walked out and casually suggested we should try the restaurant. When we informed her we had ADR's for 7, she invited us in and said we could be seated immediately. So we got in early! That's when noticed the FF was not as crowded as usual. Last time there, it was SRO in the small lobby and folks were also standing outsde. They were turning away walk-ups. This nite it wasn't very crowded and the restaurant wasn't even full--.
Once inside, Mrs U and I had predetermined that we were NOT going to sit in the back "Cabana Room". Not a problem--our table was up front, in the open, and right in front of the kitchen. Just as at Citricos, we were along a railing that separates the kitchen and the walkway from the dining area. Yet another "poor mans" chefs table! So we had a great look at all the food being cooked over the open oak grilling pit--and the pit was full of burning oak. Remined me of my fireplace on a winter's night---.
First up were our drinks--Mrs U had wine, I had a Bass Ale from what is a pretty sad beer list. When the dinner rolls came out, they weren't much either. Round and rather hard--. But everything was fine from then on. For an appetizer, Mrs U had Chardonnay Steamed Mussels, with fennel, pesto cream sauce, and sourdough bread (for sauce dipping purposes, I guess). She liked it a lot and I was able to sneak a dip or two of the sauce as well--very tasty. My appetizer was the peeky-toe crabcake w/ Flying Fish Slaw. I'd had it before--the peeky toe crab is tasty-sweet. Great for an appetizer, but certainly didn't make me forget the Md. style crabcake. The slaw had just a bit of a "kick" to it, probaly from the chili remoulade.
Our entrees were (along with dessert) the meal highlites. I'd been observing the chefs cooking the steak over the oak fire, but noticed the Atlantic Salmon being grilled there too. So--I made it a point to mosey on up to the kitchen and get a closer look. The steak looked great--but they seemed to be charring it a lot on the outside. The salmon looked great also and when the chef saw me looking at it, he suggested that "The salmon is excellent tonight". So that decided it--Oak-grilled Salmon for me and Mrs U as well. It came with Roasted Fingerling potatoes. artickokes, Pancetta, cipollini onions, and roasted tomato jus. And it was GOOD!! The fish was cooked to order (medium) and the sauce did little to to take away from that fresh oak wood taste. This salmon is better--I think--than what you get at Artist Point. And that is good salmon over there.
Dessert followed and both selections were hits. Mrs U got a Chilled Fruit "soup"-- Fresh berries, California Reisling, Orange Cake, and Yogurt-style Ice Cream. I had a creme brulee--this one had caramelized bannanas and chantilly cream. Both were reasonanbly light and perfect to finish off an enjoyable meal.
I should note that the "Chef's Thunder" was back on the menu. I'd heard that once in awhile it dosen't appear, but this night it was right there. They had an interesting cheese selection as the dessert--.
Next up: Portobello Yacht Club.

Love the crab cakes at FF! We skpped FF on our last trip in February, but your review certainly makes me want to make sure to go there during the next trip to WDW.

No, don't go to Flying Fish...Uncleromulous is kidding you. It's really, really lousy so no need to go. Please, please don't go. Scratch Flying Fish from your memory. Go to 'Ohana or Citrico's but Flying Fish just isn't worth it!

See the damage control you make me do Uncle??? ;)

Regarding the steak, it is a "charred NY Strip." I'm not sure what the flour type coating is that it is rolled in prior to coooking but these steaks can be on that fire for a good 20 minutes and still be rare inside.

Great report Uncle.
pirate:

Pirate:
I'd say the steaks are a popular FF item--I counted 8 of them on the fire when I went up to have that "look".

My favorite meal last trip - and my current favorite Disney restaurant. And I love the decor - golden and purple.

Better salmon than Artist Point? Wow, I am definitely going to try the salmon on my next visit. Thanks for the review, I am looking forward to the rest.

I have a funny story about the PYC that I'll post on your thread if it seems appropriate once I read your review.

Glad you are giving Flying Fish a good review. We are going for the first time in September and I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for the great review, I wanted to try the Flying Fish on our next trip, DD wanted Citricos - she won!

Last trip to wdw was in March with my DD taking me for the first time! (She went with my DW last year) We walked the boardwalk and determind the FF to be for the spouses on our next trip. Now I am sure! Not only a great review, but one from those with similar tastes! :wave2:

Thanks! :woohoo:

Thank you for the review! That is our most favorite restaurant in the World! Our trip is not complete without our meal there. I always get the steak, and it is just incredible! When we were there in December, my DH got the Potato Crusted Red Snapper and it was outstanding. He was a little nervous when it came to the table, but even my 6 year old son loved it!
ef07d0ea.jpg

We were just there and were totally underwhelmed.
We liked Spoodles twice as much at half the cost in meal credits.
Crab cake was good but not scrumptious. Steak was gristly even though barely cooked. Chocolate souffle was eh.
No competition for reservations from us!

Thanks for the review. We have been wanting to try the FF for a long time but we are usually with other people that enjoy alot of the other resturants and are not into something new. DH and I will be there by ourselves in December so we will definately make ADR's for there. If we're there by ourselves we always try a couple of new places.

Michele

Enjoyed your review...Thanks for taking the time to share.

We ate at FF for the first time last month. The server was going over the menu and when he got to the steak, explained that some people have said it is the best steak they have ever had. We ordered it and when it came to the table we were a bit taken back at how "charred" it was. BUT, this steak did not have a charred, burnt taste at all and was indeed the best steak I have ever had.

Thanks for the review uncleromulus! We've debated eating here every time we stay at the BWV (our home resort), but never took the plunge. This year, I've decided that this is where I'll be having my birthday dinner. Really looking forward to it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter