Our magical 10th Annivesary at AKL - June 2 - 8, 2006

AKLGoofy

Mouseketeer
I have been going round about with this in the "Resorts" forum on the AKL thread there and thought that I should add our report to the archives here as well. I have actually put it on a personal website rather than trying to post here as it is rather... long, particularly for such a short trip.

In a nut shell, there are no "cute kid" stories, no "smilies" and no witty "sigs". There ARE plenty of pictures, some humorous moments and a lot of personal opinion. You will get the good, the bad and the ugly (that would be me), not some puffed up "fanboi" glossing over of "less-than-magical" parts in order to convice you that we experienced some unatainable construct of fantasy existence.

So, go or stay, your choice. If you go, make sure you have a LOT of time on your hands - final page count in Word was 47 pages, single spaced with half inch margins and no pictures.

http://www.susanandbob.com

Bob

Heheh, somehow I knew that having no "cute kid" stories would relegate this report to the depths of the thread in no time. Ah well... amybe someone, sometime will get some use out of it... :happytv:

I just finished reading your entire trip report and I really enjoyed it!! It was interesting to me because we are currently planning a "childfree" trip ourselves for our 7th anniversary. I was so impressed by all the trouble you went to planning this for your wife!!! I am sure she was completely overwhelmed. I am not sure how you are going to top this for your 20th. :) I hope you both have many more years of happiness and many more trips to the World!

I am definately on my way to reading it. To me it doesn't matter if their are kid stories or not. Sort of thanks for sparing the bandwidth on the DIS, there really are no more rules. I remember just a few short years ago, 3 sentences were only allowed-but that was just on other boards on the DIS, not on the Trip Report Board.

reading thru the pages and pages of this report, but I am glad I did. Thanks for an escape from my "3 screaming angels" on this blistering hot and stormy day in the midwest. I thoroughly enjoyed jumping into your alternate "kid-free" universe, complete with a doting and romantic husband. Someday when they are a little older and my husband's hair is peppered a similar grey I hope we can manage a similar trip. (Although I think I will be able to manage an indulgent smile at all the little darlings who are not traveling with us! You would be amazed at how much easier it is to tune out other people's children after you have lived through your own. ;)

Temporarily not KC&DMom,

Cheers on your 10th!

Susan

Thanks for the read, it was very interesting to read all the preplanning and such you put into it!

Happy 10th Anniversary!

Great report.............read the ENTIRE thing and some parts TWICE. We mustv'e had the same kind bus driver at the TTC. Made the same mistake - took the monorail instead of the bus. Driver took us right to our resort.......mucho pixie dust when you have tired, blistered tootsies.

BeckyEsq said:
I just finished reading your entire trip report and I really enjoyed it!! It was interesting to me because we are currently planning a "childfree" trip ourselves for our 7th anniversary. I was so impressed by all the trouble you went to planning this for your wife!!! I am sure she was completely overwhelmed. I am not sure how you are going to top this for your 20th. :) I hope you both have many more years of happiness and many more trips to the World!

Heh, me either.. still can't figure out how to get Susan a passport without giving away a trip to Ireland...

I've already begun looking into another one, maybe early next February while it's still "value" season. Sadly, the DIsney Travel site won't let you check on availability if your arrival time is after Dec. 30, this year.

I think the many "tours" are really the way to go for an "adult" trip. I found all of the ones we did fascinating and there was still time to get some "rides" in. Next time, though, I think I'll only schedule one tour per day, if possible. That way we'll have more wandering time. I know Susan felt a little pressed at times and I'm sure she wished we were doing more shopping and less walking!

Bob

kc&dmom said:
reading thru the pages and pages of this report, but I am glad I did. Thanks for an escape from my "3 screaming angels" on this blistering hot and stormy day in the midwest. I thoroughly enjoyed jumping into your alternate "kid-free" universe, complete with a doting and romantic husband. Someday when they are a little older and my husband's hair is peppered a similar grey I hope we can manage a similar trip. (Although I think I will be able to manage an indulgent smile at all the little darlings who are not traveling with us! You would be amazed at how much easier it is to tune out other people's children after you have lived through your own. ;)

Temporarily not KC&DMom,

Cheers on your 10th!

Susan

It's a pleasure to hear from another Susan. :)

I hope that the parents out there can understand my reference to getting into trouble by paying attention to other people's children these days. I thought long and hard about removing that line but in the end left it because that is how I feel.

Yes, some parents still believe in the general "goodness" of people and actions that were fine 50 years ago are still considered innocent. Sadly, in the world of today however, any outward indication of interest can be misconstrued and quite often is. Several years ago it became apparent that, particularly being male, the best thing to do was simply to try not to walk on them and leave it at that.

I hope you enjoy your break, when it comes. I know folks think that "I" maybe did a lot for Susan, but I couldn't imagine all the hard work that would go into taking 3 children to WDW. You have my utmost respect and I stand in awe of your viritual mountain of patience. *bow*

Bob

AKLGoofy said:
Heh, me either.. still can't figure out how to get Susan a passport without giving away a trip to Ireland...

I've already begun looking into another one, maybe early next February while it's still "value" season. Sadly, the DIsney Travel site won't let you check on availability if your arrival time is after Dec. 30, this year.

I think the many "tours" are really the way to go for an "adult" trip. I found all of the ones we did fascinating and there was still time to get some "rides" in. Next time, though, I think I'll only schedule one tour per day, if possible. That way we'll have more wandering time. I know Susan felt a little pressed at times and I'm sure she wished we were doing more shopping and less walking!

Bob

Tell her you are thinking of going on a cruise and you will need your passports since the rules about that are changing. THEN, surprise her with Ireland. Or even better, Ireland AND a cruise! I enjoyed your reports. :goodvibes

lookingforward said:
Tell her you are thinking of going on a cruise and you will need your passports since the rules about that are changing. THEN, surprise her with Ireland. Or even better, Ireland AND a cruise! I enjoyed your reports. :goodvibes

Ooooh, now THAT'S a good idea! Thank you kindly and I'll be trying to remember that for our next "biggie"!

Bob

WOW! I just finished reading your trip report. Sound's wonderful! Susan is a lucky lady. We are going to WDW in 2 weeks and can't wait. My husband is turning 40 and we always seem to go on vacation the week of his birthday. I've been planning small surprises and I can only hope we receive just a little of that pixie dust. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. :thumbsup2

Anne

Hey, just started reading your trip report and I think it is great. You have really put a lot of work in to this.

Just to answer you query about the connection of celtic and Canada. Much of Canada was settled by immigrants from Ireland and Scotland. Celtic music has always had a strong following in Canada, especially Eastern Canada. Check out a band called Great Big Sea, I think you will like there music.

declansdad said:
Hey, just started reading your trip report and I think it is great. You have really put a lot of work in to this.

Just to answer you query about the connection of celtic and Canada. Much of Canada was settled by immigrants from Ireland and Scotland. Celtic music has always had a strong following in Canada, especially Eastern Canada. Check out a band called Great Big Sea, I think you will like there music.

Ahhh, thanks a lot for the info, was kind of wondering how that worked.. since the cliche' belief is that Canada is all about France! I got a nice email from someone else that let me in on the fact that there's even a nice Celtic festival up there, too!

I'll get out there and see about that band, thanks for the tip. Interestingly enough, I was introduced to that "style" of music while in Florida by a group called 7 Nations. We went to several of their "local" concerts and their original music was great. They have since lost their original bagpiper, though, and the "flavor" has changed so much that I don't really care for their newer music. It will be great to maybe find a replacement!

Bob

:teeth: I have started the report, but alas, I have to work once in a while. :guilty:

I am, however, enjoying it immensely. I did roll my eyes in agreement with the comment about getting in trouble with other people's children. I have 4 kids and even I get strange looks when I talk to other people's kids....I can only imaging what would happen if I did so without the drooler hanging onto my leg. :) Ah, well, a sign of our times. :sad1:

We will be in the world at the beginning of February (5th through the 16th). I am planning some surprises for my husband, including hopefully the V&A's Chef's Table.

Living close to Buffalo and the Ontario border, I did think of this trick for your passport dilemma: Passports will soon be required to cross into Canada. Since SD is somewhat close to the border, perhaps you could plan a short Canada trip for something and get the passports for that, or even SAY you are thinking about a trip and get the passports just in case. Voila!! I actually am using the new regulations myself in order to get my hubby to get a passport, as he has been dying to go back to Bamberg?, Germany, where he was stationed when the wall came down. :thumbsup2

2Princes2Princesses said:
Living close to Buffalo and the Ontario border, I did think of this trick for your passport dilemma: Passports will soon be required to cross into Canada. Since SD is somewhat close to the border, perhaps you could plan a short Canada trip for something and get the passports for that, or even SAY you are thinking about a trip and get the passports just in case. Voila!! I actually am using the new regulations myself in order to get my hubby to get a passport, as he has been dying to go back to Bamberg?, Germany, where he was stationed when the wall came down. :thumbsup2

Oooo, another good one! Now this one is probably very doable since we've talked about taking a short trip up there sometime now that we're so close.

Good luck on the Chef's Table at V & A. I had thought about that but for our purposes it was probalby better being in the main dining room. Next time, though, I'll definately be on the phone the morning of the first day we're allowed to try and will be trying for it!

Bob

AKLGoofy said:
Ahhh, thanks a lot for the info, was kind of wondering how that worked.. since the cliche' belief is that Canada is all about France! I got a nice email from someone else that let me in on the fact that there's even a nice Celtic festival up there, too!

I'll get out there and see about that band, thanks for the tip. Interestingly enough, I was introduced to that "style" of music while in Florida by a group called 7 Nations. We went to several of their "local" concerts and their original music was great. They have since lost their original bagpiper, though, and the "flavor" has changed so much that I don't really care for their newer music. It will be great to maybe find a replacement!

Bob

Glad to be of some help. If you do want to come up for a celtic festival, come to the east. There is a great festival in a place called Cape Breton in Nova Scotia. The festival happens in the fall and it is called Celtic Colours. You hear some great music and see some amazing scenery.

I just finished your report and I must say it sounds like you had an amazing trip. I do have a beef with you though. How are the rest of us ordinary men suppose to live up to that anniversary trip?? ;)

declansdad said:
Glad to be of some help. If you do want to come up for a celtic festival, come to the east. There is a great festival in a place called Cape Breton in Nova Scotia. The festival happens in the fall and it is called Celtic Colours. You hear some great music and see some amazing scenery.

I just finished your report and I must say it sounds like you had an amazing trip. I do have a beef with you though. How are the rest of us ordinary men suppose to live up to that anniversary trip?? ;)

Hehehe, weelllll.... just don't let your wife read the report! Steal all of my ideas and claim you made the all up yourself. :teeth:

THanks for the tip about Great Big Sea. I've listened to some of their samples and intend on getting a couple CDs. I miss the bagpipes, though, I must say. When 7 Nations had their original piper I really thought that added a lot to their sound. I like these guys, though, and look forward to adding them to my collection!

Bob

AKLGoofy said:
Hehehe, weelllll.... just don't let your wife read the report! Steal all of my ideas and claim you made the all up yourself. :teeth:

Bob

She's the one who showed me your report. :lmao:

Glad you like Great Big Sea. They are a great group and fun to watch live if you get the chance.

Take care.

declansdad said:
She's the one who showed me your report. :lmao:

Yes she did-hoping you'll take a FEW hints since our trip will start the day after our 12th anniversary. :rotfl2: :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter