Our lunch at The Sand Trap Bar and Grille

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
Question--is there a lunch spot at WDW that is open and airy, quiet, has a nice view, is nearly kid free, has great lunch- only type food, where the service is excellent, and you can get wine and beer?? The answer of course is yes. The Sand Trap.
As I've mentioned seveal times before, we were led to the Trap by a server at V&A's. A golfer himself, he often had lunch there and noted that it was known around the WDW "inside world" as great place for qiuet lunch. So we tried it that first time and have been going back ever since.
The Sand Trap is located at the Osprey Ridge/Eagle Pines Golf Course, which itself isn't too far from Old Key West and Dixie Landings. As I noted, it's a light, open and airy spot, with a fine view of the course from the window area at the rear of the restaurant. The tables are well spaced and there is a nice size bar in the front of the restaurant.
The menu is strictly lunch--no real chance of ordering that big meal that you really didn't want at lunch, but ordered anyway because it sounded good. The menu here is mainly specialty sandwiches, burgers and salads and they are big and they are good!! There are daily soup and sandwich specials and as I said, beer and wine are available. In fact, at "beer challanged" WDW, the beer selection is pretty good, with Newcastle and Sierra Navada being among the offerings.
This day Mrs U and I boh opted for a salad. For her, the Ceasar, with added blackened chicken. For me--the Cobb, with added Grilled chicken. The Ceasar was a pretty straight forward Ceasar, a large portion, and according to Mrs U, "perfect". My Cobb was a huge portion--would easily be enough for two light eaters to share, and even the powerful and stalwart Uncleromulus had trouble finishing the entire thing. This Cobb is a variation of the one at the Brown Derby. The ingredients are all laid out on top of the lettuce in a large bowl, and you get to mix everything yourself. And the lettuce is more shredded than chopped, as in the Derby offering. Plus--you get a choice of dressing to put on (including Blue Cheese which I don't recommend as there are already lots of blue cheese crumbles in the salad).
All this went just fine with the wine Mrs. U ordered, and the several Sierra Nevadas I had. Our server was Veronica and she did a great job. Also at the bar that day was Mike (Orlando Mike on the Disboards) and it was nice to see him again. Manager Carlene also stopped at our table to say hello and inqiuire as to how things were going. And the answer to that, as you may have guessed was "Just fine!!"
So--have a look at the menu and make plans to have lunch at the Sand Trap next time you are at WDW. And if you go, and if you see Mike, Veronica, or Carlene , be sure to say hello and tell them Uncleromulus sent you!!

I have always wondered about this restaurant. Thanks for the review will definitely will try it for lunch. Looks like a nice oasis from the rest of the busy world.

Thanks for the great review, and it was nice to see you again also.

Just an added note.

For those of you without your own transportation, and if you are staying in a Disney owned resort, simply go to the front desk and ask for a voucher to Eagle Pines and Osprey Ridge. A chariot (OK OK a yellow cab) will whisk you away for your lunch. After lunch, and perhaps a shopping spree in the pro show, simply ask the bartender, or anyone in the pro-shop for a voucher back to your resort and the chariot - er - Cab will be provided back to your resort free of charge. The Sandtrap is open for Breakfast (6:30-10:30) Lunch (10:30-3:30) and Light Dining, mostly sandwiches(3:30 -5:30).

We welcome all Dis'ers! Since we got a favorable review on another site, we have seen numerous people come in and mentioned that they read about us on the Internet. It's nice to have new guests!

Thanks for the review. After having seen the other favorable review referred to by OrlandoMike, I thought that we would try to stop in at the Sand Trap during our next trip, as DH wants to play some golf. HOWEVER, DDs 11 and 9 also want to play, so we will probably play the Oak Trails course, which is in a different location. Will put this one on "The List."

Uncleromulus said:
So--have a look at the menu and make plans to have lunch at the Sand Trap next time you are at WDW. And if you go, and if you see Mike, Veronica, or Carlene , be sure to say hello and tell them Uncleromulus sent you!!

Is the menu online anywhere? This looks just up our alley :goodvibes

We enjoy the SAnd Trap too although we haven't eaten lunch there the last few trips.

I also like their version of the Cobb. The one at the GF Cafe is similar. In fact, the only Cobb salad that I haven't enjoyed at WDW is at Wolfgang Puck Cafe. Too much finely chopped egg white in that one.

The Sand Trap is a great undiscovered secret, don't tell too many people. Mike is a great bartender and the other staff are very friendly. I love to stop off here after a round of golf. This is one of the most reasonable restaurants in WDW, and they take the DDE (I think).

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

Part of the reason I enjoy golfing at Eagle Pines and Osprey Ridge is the Sand Trap. It is a great place to relax before the round, and to unwind after the round.

A fellow server, Judith, is transferring over to the Sand Trap in a few weeks so she can get a day shift. If anyone sees her on a future visit, tell her "Heada Lettuce" says hello!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter