Our "last night at Disney" dinner at Jiko

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
Well--that last night of the trip has to come along sometime and what better way to spend it than dinner at Jiko. THis was our 7th dinner at Jiko and we now always reserve it for our last night meal. It does have a lot going for it--located at a beautiful resort, not to mention an excellent menu, wine list, and staff. It's officially Uncleromulus' (and Mrs U as well) second favorite dining spot in all of WDW.
Anyway--dinner was set for 6:00 and we showed up a fashionable 25 minutes early so we could view the animals and Mrs. U could shop in the store. Normally, all we ever get to see are a few sleepy cattle and some birds. This time tho, we saw a # of Zebra and Giraffe, along with those cattle and birds.

At 6:00 sharp we arrived at the podium and were led to the table by a very friendly hostess, who on the way asked us where we were from, what we did that day, was this our first visit to Jiko, etc etc. THis is a good start to any dining experience and indicates a staff that are proud of their restaurant and care about the customers. A small thing certainly, but after being led to our table other times (in other restaurants) by zombie-like staff, it's a pleasure to see.
We had asked for--and were fortunate to have-Ron as our server for the meal. He's been with the restaurant from it's opening and is an expert on the menu and on the fantastic wine list. In fact, he was able to offer Mrs. U (our family wine expert) several suggestions (which she took ) and she really enjoyed the wine she had that night. For Uncleromulus--beer. The beer list isn't particularly extensive, but then this restaurant showcases South African wine, so it's not unexpected. They had Tusker and Windhoek on the menu, so I tried Windhoek. Brewed in Namibia, it's made with imported german malt and hops. I found it to be a steady, basic lager, good with the food and would probably be enjoyed even by mainline Bud drinkers.
Now the meal!! JIko has a rather extensive menu by WDW standards (eleven entrees) and there is plenty of variety among the appetizers and salads. I'm a big fan these days of flatbread and Jiko had 3 on the menu that night. Mrs U had the Roasted Tomato and Spinich flatbread (which came with Manchego cheese and a clintro yogurt drizzle) while I had the Kenyan Coffee Barbqued Chicken flatbread (which came with Grilled onions, 4 cheeses and apple julienne). Both were out of this world tasty..and both were large enough that they could easily be shared by 2
For entrees Mrs U went with Baked buttermilk-curry shrimp, while I had my old standby, the berbere braised Lamb shank. THis has got to be the best lamb entree in all WDW!! IT's served with a berbere sauce that is actually quite mild, along with couscous that is cooked just right. I had couscous at the Marrakesh restaurant once and it was so coarse that it reminded me of what parakeet seed must taste like--. At any rate the lamb itself is served part on the shank, and a generous part already off the shank , piled on the plate alongside the bone. A fine presentation!!
When Mrs U ordered the shrimp, Ron was quick to point out that in spite of the "curry" in the name, the shrimp were not firey hot, in case that was a concern. It proved not to be--they had just a slight "kicK' and that was all. There were 10 shrimp in all, 5 to a skewer. I managed to coax Mrs. U into letting me try one (but only one!!) and they were very tasty. Should add that these were served with crisp jade rice-spinach cake and Sagh dhal drizzle.
We still had room (amazingly enough) for dessert--for me, the Jiko sundae and for Mrs U, Coconut Mhalba. MY sundae consisted of 3 kinds of ice cream (vanilla, chocolate, amarula) topped with meringue dots, roasted peants, chocolate sauce, whipped cream, and a small container of chilled espresso which can be poured over the sundae as desired. I poured all of mine and it added yet another flavor to this wonderful sundae. The mhalba was actually coconut milk pudding with coconut flakes, african autumn tea-vodka, and macerated dried fruits. Very smooth and mellow- -not "heavy" at all and just right after a big meal.
WE ended the meal with some coffee, and a vow to return again in May. Should note that during the meal, Chef De Cusine Anette Gray was in the dining room and stopped at our table to inquire how the meal was progressing, etc. It's always nice to see a chef walk about the restaurant like that (time permitting of course) and it is yet another indication that they do care that you enjoy your meal and want to return.
A word about dress--most of the folks were in "resort casual" attire, a # were in shorts, some in "theme park" casual, no one that I spotted in a dress or jacket that evening. And there were plenty of kids on hand as well.
To sum it all up--try Jiko. I think you'll like it!!

Next up--Victoria and Alberts.

Don't ya just LOVE Jiko? It's certainly the type of place to round out a wonderful WDW trip. Thanks for the very thorough review. You talked me into adding Jiko to our upcoming trip plans. I've tried to limit my PS as we are attending the F&W Festival, but we just have a hard time staying away from the favorites--like Jiko!

Thanks again....looking forward to the rest!

Thanks for a wonderful review!

We will be staying at AKL for the first time in 3 weeks and we already have a PS for our first night at Boma...
My kids (8&10) are not terribly adventuresome eaters but I know they can always find things on a buffet. How kid-friendly do you feel Jiko is? I would love to do our last meal there as it will be convenient and sounds special (not to mention that my DH loves lamb if prepared well).

I always love your posts and you provide great insight and guidance to many questions...

Do you have any other "can't miss" restaurants? We were toying with hitting DTD one night (never been there) but wonder if it's really worth the trip...we'll only be in WDW for 4 dinners and want to plan well, especially since I'm planning on doing counter service for most lunches.

Thanks again for a great thread!
Karen:wave2:

Wow, what a great review! I too love the flatbread which I ordered last time with that delicious salad with the watermelon dressing.

We have PS for this Saturday night and I am so looking forward to it. It will only be our 2nd time there! Last time I took 6 yr old dd myself and she loved it!! My picky 6 yr old loved the kid's salad--what a great place!

This time we're bringing dh along. Your review made me REALLY hungry!!

A great well written and informational review.Interesting and a joy to read,thank you for posting.::yes:: :wave2:

I love JIKO :)

I'm taking my parents there this Saturday night. I've been dreaming about the Monkfish since the last time we were there in December.

I just hope it's as good as I remember it!

Thanks Uncle! I love your reports...And I agree about Jiko, for sure!
pirate:

Thanks for the report, it sounds wonderful. We may be trying Jiko on our upcoming February trip. All adults this trip and we're staying 5 nights and doing Hoop Dee Doo one night. So I've printed up menus and having each of my guests choose a restaurant for dinner. Okay, I cheated a bit as I only printed off menus for the restaurants I've tried and love or that I want to try.:teeth: I'm going to take their choices and work them into our itinerary and make my choice last so it can be convient to where we're planning on being that night. I'm thinking maybe Jiko after our day at Animal Kingdom.

Thanks for the fabulous review, very insightful per usual. I loved Jiko's olive flatbread. I can't wait till May to get another.

Thank you for your thorough and descriptive review as always. Now I'm sorry Jiko isn't on our list for this visit!

Thank You!

I think I'll have to slip this in on our next trip!

Scratch
pirate:

vasoccermom:
Jiko--as are all WDW restaurants--is very kid friendly. I didn't get a chance to see the childrens menu, but the night we were there kids were well in evidence.
In DD, I like Wolfgangs Upstairs and Portobello Yacht Club. House of Blues is nice for dinner as well.

Thanks, Uncleromulus, for an excellent review. As usual, you gave a fantastic description of your meal. And I really liked the fact that you took the time to comment on dress and the presence of kids. These little things make a big difference to those of us who would like to try some of the nicer WDW restaurants but don't always know what to expect. :D

Uncleromulus, thanks for sharing your dining experience with us. We too love Jiko, especially the olive flatbread and the fantastic salad with watermelon dressing. I can usually fill up on just those two items but maybe next time (in just 9 days!) I'll give the lamb entree a try. We are also quite impressed with the selection of wines that they have. Yummy!

Please keep posting about your other dining pleasures. We are especially looking forward to your take on Blue Zoo. We are celebrating a birthday there and it will be our first time to visit the restaurant.

An outstanding review as always. Our trip to Jiko (#4) will be the second to last night of our trip and your deciption of Mrs. U's shrimp souds like something right up my alley. DH will most likely stick to his sirloin. These 2 dishes may provide and interesting sharing exprience. Sort of a Surf and Turf. I agree with your evaluation if the wine list. What I enjoy is when the server brings out several bottles to sample to help in your decision. Looking forward to the rest of your reviews.

And that's exactly what Ron did for Mrs U--brought out several bottles for a sample. Helped tremendously!! l

another great review -

ILUVDXL - a great surf and truf would be the sirloin and monkfish!

very yummmy!

Thanks for the great review. Jiko has been one of our favorites since our first visit there in 2001. I am going to have to try the lamb when we visit in December. After reading how much you liked it I have to give it a try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter