• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Our greyhound is faster than your ship- 10/25/08 Double Dip-4/09, The Home Stretch!

I am enjoying your trip report so much!!....and THANKS for the picture of Max....how adorable!!
Renea

I bet the tour was great
Neville has been on all the 3 cruises we have been on and is great friends with the boys A lovely fellow

Ok, so I owe an update...
Mom and Dad came to visit on Turkey day. I had to work. We all piled into the suv and went to a Keystone Greyhounds meet and greet on Saturday. Its where we try to get others interested in adopting. Around 15 greyhounds there, with 4 up for adoption. Tonight, Mom and Dad have their Keystone home visit. If I don't get much of an update posted, please understand. They promised to call once the visit is over.

The ship tour, with Neville. Our tour numbered around 15, which we feel was a nice, intimate number. We began outside Palo, where Neville explained a bit about the building of the ships. He told us how there aren't any Mickey Mouses (Mices?) in Palo, Palo was an homage to the Italy (where the ships were built), and the Italian glasswares in the cases. Knowing where the new ships will be built, I asked if the adult restaurant on them would be German-themed. Neville didn't know, but it got a laugh from him. No spoiler alerts here, as he indicated that there is still much to be decided regarding the new ships. The next topic was: carpeting. Please, please, contain your excitement. Neville discussed how many different carpet styles there are in the public areas of the ship. He also indicated that they get their carpets from the Phillipines, because that is the country of the largest number of crew members (we took this with just the slightest grain of salt). They have reserves on the ship to be able to replace all the carpets, save one: the Beat Street area. Let's see if I can recall elevator lobby carpets correctly: dolphins= guest rooms only on that floor, anchors= entertainment, the script WD= the Walt Disney Theater floor.

Moving forward, to the main lobby area, deck 5. Neville discussed the chandelier in the main lobby. We've seen other works by the artist at the Corning Museum of Glass (www.cmog.org), and found it interesting. What was really neat was the relief that goes around the lobby, just between decks 4 and 5 (I believe). Take a look at it sometime, as each of the characters represents a department on the ship. I got some photos, but need to reconcile with Photobucket (who's now gracious enough to resize the last ones I posted). Next, we went down to the WD theater for more carpet discussion. Following that, it was time to go outside on deck 4, where Neville showed us 2 interesting things: where the ship's halves were welded together, and the deployed (at the time) stabilizer fin. The tour was scheduled for an hour, but lasted slightly longer. It was very much worth out time. Neville seemed to genuinely enjoy his job, and is proud to be on such a ship.

One more thing, especially for those with little ones: someone asked on the tour about muster stations and the kids clubs. Here's what I remember: as soon as a muster station issue is suspected, the staff of all the kids areas are notified. They will return their young charges to their age appropriate kids club home base. Next, a system-wide page will go out to all kids club pagers, to come get your child. The child will remain at the club until picked up by a parent. If not picked up in 10 minutes (I might have that number wrong), children will be taken to their appropriate muster station by kids club staff. The staff will remain with them until a parent arrives there. Neville noted that the bracelet worn by each child contains a code (easily read) stating what muster station location to take the child to. Lifejacket? They have dozens of extras all around deck 4.

Must now go. Its greyhound call time.

Great update Sean - I honestly did not notice the different carpets! I think we will try and take that ship tour next time as it sounds so interesting. We liked Neville too - we had a good laugh with him on pirate night!

:tiptoe:
Shhh! Don't speak loudly. It appears that Photobucket has taken pity on us, and our photos are reasonably sized. And, oriented correctly, to boot!

Your author, his DW, and Minnie. Terminal, embarkation day. One of the highlights of the day.
1008DCLDoubleDip001.jpg

Beloved wife. Beloved friend.

WebDuramaxFamily.jpg

Pleased with Photobucket, I've decided to upload some more photos tonight. I'll let them ferment and see if my resizing is saved. I got one of the wall artwork I described on the tour.

In other news: Mom and Dad had their home visit last evening, and were given a choice of 2 greyhounds today. I'll be hearing from them shortly, as they work on deciding which one to adopt.

Okay Sean - how do you resize on Photobucket?? I just posted some pics on our thread, and they're HUGE!

Valerie

It was such a pleasure to meet you and Christine, Sean.

I agree..... take the day before the cruise off..... all of it!

Can I be the first to nag for more? LOL

Say hi to Max from the Gluttons :flower3:

YOU MET THE INFAMOUS LOVABLEGLUTTONS???????

OH MY GOD!!!

:faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

My New Year's resolution is to get back to writing this report.

My parents adopted their own greyhound yesterday! Something that has taken a bit of time over the last 2 months. Remember: it was this cruise, and hosting Max, that convinced them they wanted one, too.

How's that for a "little souvenir"?

Sean

Good New Years Resolution cause I am still waiting for the rest of the story.
I started a new thread from my actual trip report in case you are interested. Link is below in my siggie.
Happy New Year to you, Christine & Max!!!!!!!!!!!
party-animals.gif

The ship tour sounds interesting. Can you tell me when it is available?

My apologies for not answering this before: it was on the first sea day of our cruise. We spotted it in the Navigator. I think it was preview/listed in the voyage long Navigator.
Sean

Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen, Girls and Boys, this is your author speaking. It is currently around 20F out, with wind chills below 10F. As a result, afternoon walking with Max has been cancelled for today. The skies are sunny, though. After much delay, we return to the cruise:

After the tour, Christine and I went over to the port side of the ship, where we indulged in the wonderful deck 4 lounge chairs for a bit. Dinner(s) are, especially with the time passed, a blur. Part of me thinks that this is the night that DW discovered a Konked Kooler. After a couple of nights of water and soda selections, I think poor Sebastian's brain seized when Christine asked him if she could get a Konked Kooler with dinner. He asked her a second time what she wanted, then, with a puzzled look, said he'd have to look into it. As I continue to fight through the haze of time :hourglass , I think we were in PC for this meal, meaning that one of my favorite items of the cruise was on the menu: fritters.

Now, for me, fritters conjures up memories of summer. In Penn Yan, NY, there is a small fried chicken/ice cream shop called Seneca Farms. (pauses to wipe accumulating drool). They make their own corn fritters, and serve them with NY State maple syrup. (suction, please). I like to get the small shrimp boat, with 3 fritters on the side. Then, head to the front of the building afterwards for a chocolate chip cookie dough flurry, with soft serve vanilla. I think they open next month. Mom and Dad will likely be there week 1, and torment me with a telephone call as they sit at their booth. Please, allow me a moment of silent reflection...

Sebastian returned, and proudly proclaimed that, indeed, a Konked Kooler was being prepared for DW at that very moment. I must say, I think we've found a weak spot, and a hole in our budget. Once again, we skipped the show, and wandered the ship a bit. One of the things we enjoyed was just walking the halls and stairs of the ship, looking at all the art work. It meant a little more after the tour. (they really do think about things at that level of detail).

Tuesday dawned with rough seas as we approached the Mexican port of Cozumel. After rotating 180 degrees, the ship docked at the end of a pier, with a Caribe Trader ship on the other side. It seemed that Mr Caribe was intent on performing ship's maintenance that day, something that would later come into play (cue dramatic music).

We once again haunted Goofy's Galley (please open up more eating stations early, not just room service and GG, though we love GG). After meal #1, we headed to the deck 7 secret area at the stern, for group Yoga. DW is a former gymnast, and dancer, while I'm more of a rock (competitive shooter). I do work out around 6 days a week, but as you can see from my photos, I'm not on the cream or the clear. But, I do actually try new things once in a while. Peter arrived carrying what was quite possibly every mat they had in the fitness center. No sweat. No heavy breathing. One look outside, another at his watch, and he proclaimed that class would be moved to the fitness center. "I'll wait here for a few minutes, then be up to join you," Peter said.

Flash forward (literally) to the Fitness Center. There are 3 of us, plus Peter. It is me, DW, and another woman who appears to have a clue what she's doing. Peter begins the class. I'm thinking it was because we started late, but the speed of the class was up there with an over-caffeinated squirrel. Barely getting into a pose, on to the next. Peter did state that he was moving the pace along. Ummm, good for those in the class who had a clue. Not so good for me, who wanted to try something I've done a bit of on my own, but without formal classes/training. You know, when your fitness instructor shouts: SPARTANS, PREPARE FOR BATTLE! during your yoga class, its going to be a teenie bit on the intense side. Are the swords, shields, and red speedos coming out next? He's coming around, helping us all with our poses. I'm asked, "do you stretch much? You could use more stretching." It would appear that, on this day, my flexibility is approaching that of Gumby, after being in the freezer overnight. I reply that we have a couple's spa villa appointment that morning. "Good idea," I'm told.

Now, all witty commentary aside: Peter was a better instructor than anybody we've had on DCL since Melissa in 2005. He was genuinely enthusiastic about teaching the classes (we saw him doing spinning and more during our workouts). Also, he took interest in each student (small class), and did work with them, on their level, to help them get something more out of the class.

Notice the relief work. Each department on the ship is symbolized by a character:

1008DCLDoubleDip025.jpg

Formal night with The Mouse:

1008DCLDoubleDip028.jpg

Some instrumental music would be appropriate background for this post. Perhaps James Brickman's Disney collection. Or: something played at your local sushi bar...

We arrive at 1035 for our 1045 Couples Spa Villa time. After filling out forms requiring as much information as the average medical practice needs, we're led to the middle of the 3 treatment areas. There, we meet our 2 female attendants. They've got some suggestions already, based upon our confessed stresses and issues. Already, they've determined which of them will be paired with each of us for our massage. We listen to their suggested treatments, then ask about other options. Christine decided on the relaxation massage, with some hot stone work, while I chose the hot stone massage. We're then toured through the spa, all the while being told what happens where, etc. The jacuzzi has been filled with water, and now several reagents are being added to it, as part of the experience.

Next: more spa time, and "are you're hands made of asbestos?"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter