• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Our Generation Doll Vs. American Girl?

disneymom3 said:
I would suggest just biting the bullet and getting the AG doll. I bought two dolls for DD figuring I would do the trying out thing. Didn't work. She didn't play with them at all. Once their hair got all tangled and gross she dumped them in her closet. Then we found a box of dolls I had when I was little--Chatty Kathy, Mandy and a few others. She started to play with them a lot. So, for Christmas last year I got her the AG doll she had been wanting for two years. She plays with her all the time! Jenna(the doll) has gone on two vacations with us, always sleeps over at grandma and grandpas, got a gift from me after I was out of town for a weekend (hey, it was the American Girl garage sale and gave me an excuse to buy a darling outfit for her) and will be getting a present for Christmas too.

Be warned though. It's addictive! I can't decide to give DD Emily, one of the new Girl of Today dolls or a Felicity I got off of ebay. I am already planning what I want to get at the garage sale next year! :rotfl:
What is the American Girl garage sale? Is this something I need to know about????? I love to get a deal!

American Girl is a much better product than Our Generation. I'm asking you to believe, because I know what I'm talking about.

I'm 13 years old, I have ten American Girl Dolls. I have no Our Generation Dolls...because I NEVER wanted one. Ever. My friends have them though and they don't like them either, at least not as much as American Girl Dolls.

So here's what I know about Our Generation......

Our Generation Dolls are not cute at all. American Girl Dolls are really beautiful.

Our Generation is a lot cheaper, for a reason! There not quality made at all. They are not made of the nice vinyl that AG dolls are.

Our Generation dolls hair is very frizzy.

Now here's what I know about American Girl.......

American Girl Dolls are beautifully made.
They are very durable and well made.
There hair is super soft and easy to brush.

IF YOU GO WITH AMERICAN GIRL

I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but if she's six and under I recommend the bitty twins or a JUST LIKE YOU DOLL. The bitty ywins are great for little kids, I have them too. The JLY dolls are fine too, as long as they have straight hair.

DO NOT GIVE A SMALL CHILD A DOLL WITH CURLY HAIR! Terrible Idea....hair will be ruined immediately....

If your daughter is little I don't recommend a girl of the year doll and I especially don't recommend a historical doll, seeing as these are collector dolls.

If you think your daughter is to young to appreciate how expensive American Girl is and after a while she will get tired of them and throw her dolls in the bottoms of a toy box, don't get here an American Girl.

All of my first dolls (I got them when I was younger) hair is not very nice, because of how young I was. I have to send them to the doll hospitals for new heads because their hair is so dry, frizzy and dull.

So take some time to think about, make sure you know what your daughter will do with the doll.

I hope this helped!

-Sarah

My friend and I were shopping last week at Once Upon a Child. Her 7 YO noticed they had an AG doll, and she begged for it. I would have bought the used one personally, she was in great condition.

My DD15 received her AG (it's one of the My AG so looks just like her) when she was 3 years old from her grandmother. Over the years, they have had matching outfits (some purchased and some home sewn). We have a large wooden cabinet that was custom built for the doll...a display spot, two closets and 2 drawers.

Even though she's in high school, her beloved doll still goes on vacation with us and sits in a place of honor in the bedroom.

For graduation, I plan to get the graduation gown for the doll.

I agree the money is high. I think even if you go with the less expensive doll, you'll still be looking later for the American Girl doll. Just don't buy all the outfits. Well, not at full price. We had the books--most were from library sales (25 cents) and we bought outfits from yard sales and some larger Hobby Lobby doll dresses.

I think AG is like Build a Bear...it's a special. And a treat. It's the clothes that cost!!

Have you looked into Gotz dolls? Gotz actually was the original manufacture of American Girl dolls back in the day when they were still made in Germany. They are made extremely well, hold up and look almost identical. Plus they are the same size and fit in the same clothes but they are half the price. PBK started selling them this past year but you can find them for less at independent toy stores. (Ours was $68). My girls do have AMG dolls. I had two when I was young and gave them to my oldest DD when she was 4. She has a few others. When my youngest DD started asking for one at 2 I wasn't willing to buy her a pricey doll at that age. I got her a Gotz and to this day, she still has no clue it isn't AMG. She wears all the AMG clothes that we have and she still tells people/friends that she has 2 AMG dolls. (She got Josephina for Christmas this past year). Good luck with your decision but if you feel like AMG is a bit out of budget this time around don't hesitate to look at Gotz. They really are amazing and even have the same neck strings that the AMG dolls have. I wish I knew how to post photos bc I would take a picture for you. But if you google them, you should fine a bunch. BTW, they are NOTHING like OGD!

I'm 22, and Felicity is still around. :goodvibes

My baby sister is 30 and still has hers! I had just kind of outgrown them when they came out, but remember being a little bit jealous that my sister was young enough to get one, lol

This thread is 6 years old. I doubt the OP still needs assistance making a decision.

She may not need assistance but I find it interesting. Picking on new people who did a search before asking the same question, I don't find that interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Well, the bumper is 13 years old.

It is a very nicely written opinion and I'm sure there are some Moms, Aunts, and Grandmas here who appreciate getting the opinion from her point of view.

American Girl for doll and clothes.

Target (Our Generation) for some accessories.

My daughter is 8 and will only play with her American Girl dolls now. She still wants one every Christmas.

She may not need assistance but I find it interesting. Picking on new people who did a search before asking the same question, I don't find that interesting.

She clearly was not searching for information about what to buy, considering she has such a strong opinion about them.

Additionally, creating a new thread with an actual question or opinion would have been more beneficial than bumping a 7 year old thread with an "opinion" to help the OP, who I am sure is not interested, since for all anyone knows the information from 7 years ago is now completely out of date for any newly-reading posters.

Third, while I may be roughly twice her age, I can tell you that the language and posting style is not of a 13 year old girl and I strongly suspect it's not actually what it seems. A 13 year old has no reason to be on the "budget board" of a disney travel forum. Especially if she wants to talk about dolls. Something else is afoot.

She clearly was not searching for information about what to buy, considering she has such a strong opinion about them.

Additionally, creating a new thread with an actual question or opinion would have been more beneficial than bumping a 7 year old thread with an "opinion" to help the OP, who I am sure is not interested, since for all anyone knows the information from 7 years ago is now completely out of date for any newly-reading posters.

Third, while I may be roughly twice her age, I can tell you that the language and posting style is not of a 13 year old girl and I strongly suspect it's not actually what it seems. A 13 year old has no reason to be on the "budget board" of a disney travel forum. Especially if she wants to talk about dolls. Something else is afoot.

If you Google "American Girl Our Generation Discussion" this thread is first on the results page. American Girl has a huge following around the internet and there our lots of girls out there who browse around wanting to discuss them.

As for whether or not she is truly 13 or there is some nefarious intent afoot, who knows? In fact, how do I know who you really are? Zombie threads get bumped around here all the time by people who are Googling a subject.

That is all your opinion. Your very strong and unwelcoming opinion. A thread of any sort does not in any way shape or form harm you nor any one else. People who find no interest in a discussion should just carry on and not bother with it. Oh wait are you one who writes to censors every time something you don't like comes on the TV or radio.?!?

Carry on.

What do you suppose is afoot? Is this some internet scammer trying to get unsuspecting Disney budgeters to blow their WDW funds on American Girl Dolls?

:lmao:

This thread may be over 6 years old (almost 7), but I believe the info is still relevant. Especially since nothing has changed as far as AG dolls are concerned. They are still greatly loved by many little and young girls. Their quality is still the same.

Since I know virtually nothing about OG dolls, I can't give my .02 on that or if the quality has changed since Target introduced them.

I can say this - my 5 1/2 yr old daughter loves her 2 Bitty babies. She has one that looks like a baby and one that looks like a toddler. She received the baby when she was 2 and immediately fell in love. I gave her the toddler Bitty baby last year when I thought she had more responsibility with the hair and all. She still favors the baby over the toddler.

She can't wait to get a big girl AG doll which my mom bought through Jill's Steals and Deals on the Today show last year for $50. Twice now I have seen AG doll stuff on that segment. Once was the AG doll my mom bought my daughter that she will get probably for her 6th birthday and a few months ago I saw a deal for the Bitty Baby. I was so tempted to buy another Bitty Baby but didn't. My daughter has the stroller, the crib, the changing table, the high chair (which they discontinued), and the baby carrier. My daughter wears hearing aids as well (she can't hear without them) and every time she sees the AG catalog she points to the hearing aid accessory and says, "I want that!!" So I will be buying that soon just so I have it for later in case they discontinue it. I hope they don't!

To anyone looking for AG info now, if your daughter is 3-6 buy a Bitty Baby. If she's 6 or older than go for a regular AG doll. They are sturdy dolls and I don't think you could ever get me to buy an OG doll after my experience with AG. BTW, sometimes you can find deals on Ebay or at garage sales or Craigslist. You just have to be patient sometimes. Occasionally AG will also run sales on certain dolls and they do clearance things they are discontinuing. There is also an AG outlet in Oshkosh, WI but you have to travel there and it's pretty much just clothes, accessories and furniture.

My daughter really wants an American Girl doll for xmas but it is killing me to pay that much for a doll I know she will get tired of. Is the Our Generation Doll much different than the American Girl dolls? Are they just as durable? The one she wants isn't a specific doll just the Just Like Me (I think that is what they are called) doll which a blonde hair, blue eyed doll should be fairly easy to find from Target. I could just get so many more accessories by buying that one instead of the AG one.

Not sure I have ever seen an Our Generation doll, but I can say that my almost 11 year old daughter plays with her AG dolls regularly and has since she got them. Has not gotten bored at all. They are a LOT of money, but I would say we got our money's worth with the amount of time they have been used.

Maybe this thread is old, but it comes up first in google research. All the answers are still so relevant!

I just noticed that Our Generation dolls showed up here in Europe exactly at the same time as our Corolle dolls disappeared from the market. As I need to buy a doll of this size, I was searching information about their quality and the difference between them and American Girl and Wellie Wishers.

I got all my answers here!

I really appreciated the comment made by Sarah (TokiDokigirl5000) in August 2013. I completely agree with her.

The quality is important!

Just a small story to confirm it:
Once my daughter got a baby doll. She was so impressed by the box! But once out of the box, the doll lost all its charm. The face was not realistic, the eyes had an empty look and the body was shabby. She never really played with this doll.
I like a good quality so I was searching for a long time and finally I found this Corolle old model 36cm (14") that was made in Europe. I had no choice, I bought a second hand one because they are not produced any more. But it was in so good condition! Much better than the new one after one week of playing! And my daughter loved this doll. She played with it for 3 years! And the doll is still in such a good condition!

But suddenly she stopped playing. I was wondering why?? And then I noticed my younger 3 year old daughter adopting this doll!

And than the second idea came up!

Whatever you may think the size is important! :rolleyes1
I had an idea and purchased Bebe Cheri that is 52 cm (20") and a miracle! She loved it! She is now 8 years old and it's been two years now and she is still playing with! Everyone is playing! her friends are playing, our baby sitters are playing!! The doll is so sweet everyone wants to give it a hug!

This was about baby dolls, but the same is about girl-dolls.

When she was 3, she got a barbie but she didn't know how to play with. It was impossible to comb and change cloths for such a small hands. Barbie is an adult so she couldn't go to school and play on the playground! My daughter could'n identify herself with the doll. What a disappointment.

So I bought, for her 4th birthday, a 14" doll (still Corolle), the same type as Wellie Wishers. And it was also a great success! But now I see that the doll "got smaller" and buying a bigger one would be an idea.

That's why I am looking for an 18" doll but of a good quality and a nice face and a nice glance..

That's why I was comparing OG dolls and American Girl dolls and lately I've also seen Glitter Girls dolls (althoug they have a strangely big eyes as they would say: "hey, that's strange, I don't understand..."), and Spanish Paola Reina and Nancy Famosa dolls, that both were historically close with Corolle.

I would like to thank all of you that contributed to this thread! It is still up to date.

Last edited:
If you Google "American Girl Our Generation Discussion" this thread is first on the results page. American Girl has a huge following around the internet and there our lots of girls out there who browse around wanting to discuss them.

As for whether or not she is truly 13 or there is some nefarious intent afoot, who knows? In fact, how do I know who you really are? Zombie threads get bumped around here all the time by people who are Googling a subject.

Maybe she just used her mother's login?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter