• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Our First WONDERful Adventure 3/29/2009- Updated 11/18--with photos!!

LivingtheWDWdream

Dreamin of Disney!
So I'm taking the plunge...no not :bride: that plunge :lmao: but the plunge into being a trip report writer on the DIS that is a big step for me with all the great writers that are writing now, before and I am sure after I am done!

Before we can go forward though we have to go back so that you can find out where this addiction....yes addiction (more later on that) all began.

Way back in August 2005 I was jonesing for a vacation, we had been to WDW many times could tell you where everything was located, wait time averages for different times of years without breaking a sweat but We had just gotten back in May from WDW and I wanted something different :scared1: Scary for a wdw addict I know but well time will tell if that stays my only addiction :rolleyes1

Well since My mom and I love to take Mom Daughter adventures I told her I was ready to start planning our 2006 vacation did she have any thoughts, her top choices were WDW and anything that included Disney. Hmmm Anything that included Disney...see where this is going yet ...no hold on its coming! :dance3:

Well I always wanted to try a cruise, secretly had ordered the planning dvd's for many years just to have something to watch but mom would be a hard sell she gets sea sick on the Ferry between Point Judith RI and Block Island surely she would veto a Cruise but I seceretly :surfweb: surf the Disney Cruise Website and covertly price out a 4 day Cruise on the Wonder, and a 7 day Eastern on the Magic. If your gonna dream...dream big right :lmao:

Well I waited all of maybe 2 hours then went running over to Mom's and shared all that I had found about pricing Itineraries, and dates. Well my first request was met with us debating it and the conversation ended with "can we book a cruise"
clubbing.gif
and well a not as violent response as that but sigh I waited a few more days and after :surfweb: about ways to prevent sea sickness and all the fun things on board well Mom being the spoiler that she is :cloud9: finally agreed to a 7 nighter :scared1: OMG she said yes and a 7 nighter :hug: thanks Mom but boy I hope it works out or we will end up flying home from St. Maarten!

Well we Left for our first Cruise on the Magic and had a really magical time! The staff was always working so hard to make our vacation even more magical then we dreamt about, and the room, the amenities, the spa, and the ports all were magical in their own way! When the cruise ended we both cried ourselves through customs, back to the airport, and all the way home. It was the BEST VACATION EVER!!!!! Including some of the most magical wdw trips the cruise won the honor of being our best vacation and we still talk about it! Dream about it and miss it!

So we rebooked on board for a Dummy Date in 2007 figuring we would move it to 2008 sometime. We did we moved it to the WB Repositioning Cruise in May 2008 but sadly we canceled that date and moved it to a date in 2009! Why you ask?

We moved to Orlando! Yes my friends Mom and I decided the cold weather was just not our thing anymore and wanted sunshine and to be within 45 minutes of the Port and we are 7 miles from DTD!!!

So My friends we moved our Cruise to the Magic May Tortola Sailing but with the economy and just moving the cost was just too much for us to spend so we moved it to the Wonder because DCL was offering a Buy a 4 day get a 3 day for 99 Dollar special
chicken.gif
Sweet! So that's 2 cruises for less then the 1 cruise we booked for May! I love this deal and I love Disney Cruising.

(we also booked 2 cruises for 2010 a back to back on the Magic but shhhh! thats a whole different report which if this one is popular will follow sometime closer to that sailing)

So we made the choice of the Disney Wonder on 03/29/2009 so that we would have time to pay if off, research excursions and not have to decide right away about all that before having to book it!

So let me introduce you to my mom and I so that you will know who the afflicted cruise addicts are!

First since I love to talk about myself :lmao: who doesn't be honest you all secretly want to share all your Disney Travels and addictions :hippie:

Hi My name is Amy and I am a Disney Cruise Addict just like the add You just can't take one Cruise! Potato Chips are similar but we all know what DCL does to people :woohoo: :lmao: I'm 26 years Young and only have 3 gray hairs :scared1: didn't know those were there! :rotfl: Just recently moved to Orlando and I read every guidebook or book in general on Disney, Disneyworld, Disneyland, and Disney Cruise Line. Yes I am addicted and there is no 12 step program to cure this!

Here I am:
323093025_VBgaq-M.jpg

That was taken at the AKL on my Birthday May 2008. Don't let the smile fool ya I was miserable I tell ya :lmao: I rather be cruising... Ok we had a great trip but I miss the ship!

Then there is My mom:

Her name is Angela but I call her Mom or Ma depending on the situation, and if she fails to respond then her real name is used but I think its the same for everyone we all call mom mom. Right? Right! She is 53 years old and has had 2 major surgeries 1 on her back and a knee replacement. She depends on me to help her when I can and also moved to Orlando not too Long ago. Its nice having family near by. She was the one against cruising in the beginning and by the end of the cruise she was the one trying to stow away in the steamer trunk :lmao: DCL created an addict in her and I am not complaining means more cruising for us and that deserves some more Chicken Dancing
dancing.gif
You thought it was going to be the other chicken didn't ya!

Well this is my favorite photo of my mother, she doesn't smile or get goofy often and I was lucky to get this time on camera!

321103318_94SdY-M.jpg

So now you know who these Cruise Addicts are and I will try and share some photos from our first cruise in a little while have to finish uploading them to smugmug!

Ok So I found our Cruise Photos from 2006 and Just had to post this one Your Fave Cruise Director and Mine...

417000979_j2ze8-M.jpg

Just sad that he won't be on the Wonder but maybe 2010 on the Magic I'll get Mr. Brent again!

My Mom and Mickey and I
417000930_8Gpre-M.jpg

Brings back such memories I just don't know How I will survive 99 days!!! More :surfweb: I am sure on the DIS you all are so helpful and I just hope everyone enjoys my report!

Also if you are cruising and want a PC mailed from the Orlando Area please let me know I would love to pass on some magic!

Steps up to the mike "hello is this thing on?"

Is anyone out there :( I was hoping even just one person would respond two would be better?

What can I do to get more responses?

Thanks!!! I hope so its our first time on the Wonder so we are sure we will have great service but totally new port, restaurant (tritons) and a different category room then we are used to!

HI - just signing in to say "hello" to some fellow Disney addicts! We took our first cruise in October and have already booked our next one for 2010 - it's amazing how it gets a hold on you after only one trip! Looking forward to hearing more - PS - you are so lucky living in Florida!

Hi Sarah! thanks for stopping by!!!

We just moved to Orlando 2 months ago and I love it!

I hope to have more soon! I am wiped out from all our errands today!

So in August we were approved for our lease and we moved in September 20th. We had about 3 weeks to pack up our house in CT and move it down to Orlando. :scared1: It was a lot of work and we are just now down to the last of our boxes which once they are done I will be dancing :dance3: I don't envy those who have to move often once was enough for me.

Our apartment is about 2 exits from the Magic kingdom which is great but the best part is how close I am to Port Canaveral. We have driven over 3 times so far to see the ships sail out and get some great photos!

Definitely not help calm the cravings for DCL but fuels them at least for me it does! :love: Having this cruise booked for February helps though because of the stress of moving its nice knowing we have a short stress free vacation not too far off in the distance!

Here are some shots of the port and the ships as they sailed out of the Port!

398410093_PFqyD-L.jpg

398410943_9Yada-L.jpg

398411439_uiiEe-L.jpg

So as you can see living so close has its perks but doesn't really help keep your mind focused :lmao: So thats why I turned to the DIS so I could :surfweb: and plan my next cruise!

So on our first cruise we were on Deck 6 Aft and we were in a Category 6 with the clear plexiglass verandah. We enjoyed it a lot but this time to try and minimize costs we decided to see what a category 7 was like. We ended up on Deck 7 and have a Navigator's verandah. (does anyone have any photos of what a navigator's verandah looks like??)

I have checked the stateroom reports for our Stateroom (7626) and it seems like its a good location and we were pleased to find out about the deck on the back of the boat that is accessible from deck 7. :woohoo:

I know not the most exciting update but since we only booked this cruise a week or so ago I am still feverishly trying to plan and research it all!

One last photo of the Magic (Dec 7th i'll be getting photos of the Wonder I have friends onboard that sailing and I am going to go photograph their departure from port)

398416683_Uv3R6-L.jpg

Thank you very much! I am getting better I only got my camera a few months ago and being a DSLR its much more complicated for me but once I learn it will be great!

I am enjoying your report so far..my family is going on our first Disney cruise in January!!! I have family that moved to Orlando last year and they are working at Disney!!!
Cannot wait to hear more about your trip!!
Renea

I hope you have a great time on your cruise!!! I love Orlando and I am on the waiting list for WDW as they are fully staffed at the moment.

Amy What a great start...I have never taken a Disney Cruise and am looking foward to reading all about yours....:flower3:

Congratulations on your move...so close to the magic...you're living my dream too!!!:)

Thanks :) I got over to WDW tonight for roughly 45 minutes went to the Grand Floridian to see the Gingerbread house! It was awesome!

Someday I will cruise on the Wonder during the holiday season to see those decorations onboard!

Such great pics. We have not been to "The Port" yet so it was great to see it. How fun would it be to work at WDW!

So went to the mailbox and we got our confirmation :banana: :banana: :banana: sweet! now it really feels real that we were leaving in 3 months and some days. We also got a booklet about Nassau and Castaway Cay and things to do onboard it was pretty nice but I feel bad for those who book a cruise and get that but never hear about the DIS or other websites about cruising on DCL and go in clueless! So a BIG THANK YOU! to everyone here for your wealth of information. Until you see how little info your given by DCL it makes you appreciate it here!

I also went to the local library and got 2 books on the Bahamas so I could research more about the ports and the history of the Islands so when I go I can appreciate more about what is there, why its there and what is worth seeing in person compared to what is good enough to just see in photos!

It is helping us pick an excursion, we are down to two both by DCL and our 3rd choice is to do a walking tour on our own but with our Mobility concerns that 3rd choice is a if all else fails plan!!

The back up choice is the Tour with the Aradastra Gardens and city tour and while that looks like fun its rated as active under the passporter rating for activity level so it worries us as with mom's back and knee surgeries walking a lot or standing a lot aggravates her issues. So this is a maybe if choice 2 is full.

Our first choice though is the Nassau Historic City Tour as this is rated leisurely and is pretty economical as well. We prefer booking with DCL even though in most cases the excursion can be done for less on our owns because of our Mobility concerns we trust their judgement on who to use, and making sure we get back to the dock area or close by better then our ability to navigate in an area we aren't familiar with.

We won't be able to book 90 days out so we are just going with the flow and when we are paid off before 75 days out we will book everything we can and if something is full we will try again when we get to the port.

So now that our excursions are lined up in terms of preference we just have to figure out the pre cruise stuff like do we drive and pay to park, hire a town car each way, rent a car each way or walk ....ok so we won't walk but have to figure this out before too long!

Well a quick update we had to change our sailing to March 29th instead of February 22nd due to an unexpected bill!

I will have a full update soon.

But if your reading and not responding please don't be afraid I don't bite....to hard really!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter