Our First Trip

trayletha

<font color=red>Sign me up<br><font color=indigo>Y
Hello,

My DH and I are going on our FIRST trip to WDW this October (13-18) with our four-year-old DD. We've booked with DU, were staying at the GF. We've got tickets for MNSSHP on the 17th, other than that and breakfast with Cindy; I'm just not sure what we should do. What would be best with a four year-old? She doesn't like the dark or loud sudden noises, but with a penlight and earplugs I figure we can get around some of that. (Those ideas from all of you thank you :D all. Plus I've ordered the ID inside band (Thank you, for that too.)
I want to do everything we can do, but don't want to drag everyone around like General Sherman on his way to Atlanta. SO - with a four-year-old and two adults who've never been what should we put in our itinerary? Where are the best places to eat? And can you give me an idea of the weather in mid-October. Thank you all so much. I can believe I'm this excited and its still almost 4 months away.

well it can be HOT, it can also not. We love the magic kingdom with our little ones. Go on the Fantasyland rides, see the characters, soak up the magic of Disney. We love to eat at Chef Mickeys at the contemporary and the Pooh breakfast at Crystal Palace. Oh so many great things to see and do. make a list of your priorities and anything else you see will be gravy.

We were there a couple weeks ago with our 3 and 2 yr olds.

The first night at WDW, we ate at Chef Mickey's. My kids loved it! Every time we went pass the Contemporary Resort my kid's talked about the characters they met there. It really helped get them even more excited about going to the parks the next day!

That is a very busy restaurant, but it is fun! At times I wondered how I managed to eat anything b/c of all that was going on! :D

I also highly recommend the Crystal Palace for meeting Pooh and his friends. They have wonderful food!

Also, take a break for part of the day. The parks really wear you out, especially little ones. We usually lasted until around 1 and had to go back to the hotel. The rest for a little bit, even if just to cool off and watch cartoons, did wonders! We all were refreshed and ready to go back to the park or try a new one.

Have a great time! :)

My suggestion would be to buy a guide book, probably the Official Guide Book since it has a simple format. Read about each attraction then make a list of all the must dos, these would be attractions that you feel pretty confident you all would enjoy. Then make a list of the maybes, attractions that you would like to try if time allows. I think if you know ahead of time you won't see it all it helps to enjoy yourself.

I also recommend chef mickey's. It was the highlight of DD (then 4yrs) trip! So much more fun to have the characters come to your table rather than waiting in line for them at the parks! Beware, it is not a quiet dining experience. There is lots music and dancing. That said, my daughter is very sesitive to sound (covers her ears when her class gets too roudy I'm told by her teacher) but she was having SO much fun, she was one of the first to stand in her chair and swing her napkin when the music started the third time! Great photo opt I can tell you especially when Pluto came to get in the shot!
We're planning to make that our first night event on our next trip.

Sci-fi Dine-in theater is a fun experience if you're at MGM. Our lunches have been so-so but dessert is great! My DD's love "eating in a car!"

Since your 4 year old doesn't like dark or loud scary noises, avoid any rides that might frighten her. And please DO NOT take her on Snow White's Scary Adventures. The witch does a lot of children in.

Many of the rides, even in fantasy land, are dark and have sudden noises. Make sure you know ahead of time which rides might scare your daughter. Buy a guide book or two, read all you can on the internet etc.

As for as pace, let your daughter be the lead. This will probably make it the most enjoyable for all of you.

My DS is 2 yo and I thought you might want to see our itinerary. We are going next week, but I think the parks will have shorter hours when you are there which could make a difference:
Sun- check-in, MGM catch show & parade
Mon-MK Fantasyland, lunch Cinderella's Catsle, back to hotel
4ish Blizzard Beach
Tue-8:45 Chef Mickey's, Epcot FW
swim at hotel, maybe go back to MK
Wed-Animal Kingdom, back to hotel, amybe swim
dinner Epcot WS Teppanyaki, Illuminations fireworks
Thur-MK, try to stay until parade at 3:00, but may not make it
swim at hotel
Fri- 9:30 1900 Park Fare, MGM finish up
swim at hotel, maybe go back to MK

This was just to give you an idea. I agree, read the guide books, and this board. I have learned a lot the last couple months.
You will have a great time! Be prepared & flexible!

Disnee Dad Says.............................We did Disneyland when our DD was 4,5 and 6. She had no problem with any Fantasyland rides, she's no tough guy, but she did all the rides no problem. She is the best travelling child ever!! At 7 on our first trip to WDW, she picked a ride she wanted to go on, and the wait was 30 minutes, I told her we could wait till tommorrow and get on with no wait(a Fantasyland Ride), great, let's go some where else.
She does not get input on what we do, for the first two trips to WDW it was because she didn't have enough knowledge about the parks. On our last trip it was because at age 11 she had too much knowledge, and had too much energy,and I had a hard time keeping up!!! OK she gets a lot of input, but it is very smart and savvy. If I don't work out I won't be able to keep up!!! With small children you need to dictate the pace and the areas you you want to see , they have no clue.

You'll have such fun!

Our first trip was when my son was 4. He's something of a daredevil, and the only attraction he did not ride was Rock and Roller Coaster, because he missed the height requirement by a tad. Your DD may surprise you, so try not to give her any preconceived notions about what she will or won't like.

It's true that most kids prefer the Magic Kingdom, but it has never been my son's favorite park. He prefers both Epcot and MGM to MK, and likes AK as well. Be open to flexing your plans according to what she wants to do.

Also, don't miss out on attractions because your DD won't do them. The bigger rides all have a kid swap feature to allow parents to wait in line together then ride separately while handing off the kid to the waiting parent.

I am new hear and I keep reading about it -
But what is-
What is MSNHP?
We are going 10-13 to 10-23 first trip ! Is that something we don't want to miss!

Get the lay of the land before you go. Disney is (as you probably know) 4 parks - each of them is rather large. Just moving around can be intimidating for a first time visitor. Don't plan on running from the Jungle Cruise in AdventureLand to Buzz Lightyear in Tomorrowland - and if you want to move between parks - give yourself plenty of time to get there. Understand the FastPass system before you arrive.

And there are plenty of rides your daughter will enjoy. Start slow - with the not so scary rides in Fantasyland. Disney really doesn't have a ton of thrill rides.

MNSSHP stands for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party and it is definitely a don't miss event. It is ticketed separately and a limited number of tickets are sold. There are trick-or-treat stations set up throughout the park and there's a special Halloween parade. We took our kids (5 and 2) and they had a great time. Since the party runs until 11pm, the kids fell asleep in the stroller, but cast members were still dumping candy in their laps, so by the time we left the kids looked like they were wearing blankets of candy. The candy was all good stuff too, we ended up taking home almost 5 pounds of candy.

hi there, this will also be my forst trip with kids DS will be 4yrs old and twins will be 2yrs old. We will also be at the MNSSHP on Oct. 17th. We paln on doing whatever the kids can handle. I plan on booking breakfand one day with Pooh at the crystal palace buffet and a dinner at chef mickey. We are also bringing stroller for all of our kids. Nothing worse than hearing the kids want to be picked up all the time. So when they get tired, they can relax while we do all the work. I ot two differend disney books with great info. in planning the trip. There is also a bunch of info on this website. But i got the frommers disney guide and the Birnbaum one. Whatever you do, I am sure it will be great, everything is great in disney. Have fun. Ann

just remeber that the Crystal Palace will be closed from July to December so if you want a Pooh bear breakfast, you'll have to book elsewhere 1900 park fare.

Wow! Is ten days going to be long enough!
I think I should stop reading all there is to do! This is the first vaca I book early and research - usually I book within a month ahead and just go - Maybe I should stop reading now so I won't know what I am missing!
I have no itinerary and only 2 schedualed events! Am I taking this all to lightly?

:cool:

Just curious to know...
Why is the Crystal Palace being closed from July to December? We love that restaurant and can't imagine it being closed!

I read on another link that the crystal palace is being renovated. Bu have not checked it out with disney yet. I hope there will be a replacement where i can take the kids to have a character meal with pooh and tigger. Thats my favorite!!!! Ann

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter