Our First Trip- What do you think?

DisneyFirstTimer10

DIS Veteran
I would LOVE any advice from those that have been to Disney before- we are total newbies

Background info: 2 adults, 2 kids (4yo ds, 1.5 yo dd).

Saturday May 22nd: arrive at MCO 11am, check in POR, relax at resort or head to MK (depending on mood of kids). Dinner at Ohana 5pm. After, head to MK for POC, Aladdin, Parade, and fireworks (if kids arent too cranky- hoping toddler will fall asleep in stroller)

Sunday May 23rd: DHS for SWW- will have GAD fastpasses
DS is a huge SW fan. We would LOVE to get him into Jedi Training, but really? I am a bit nervous that it will be mobbed- even first thing in the morning. We are not sure if we should just skip it until our next trip (hopefully in 2 yrs). If we skip Jedi training we would head over to TSM area, knock all the kid stuff over there out and grab cs lunch at Studio Catering- Bit nervous that with the crowds we will be waiting forever for food- I am considering adding 50s Prime Time for lunch at 1pm. Thoughts?
We will leave early (estimating around 3ish)- back to POR to unwind a bit, and then take boat to DTD

Monday May 24: MK- will have GAD fastpasses
8:05am ADR CP, then fantasy land to start the day
Lunch- break at resort, or CS in MK
5pm ADR Kona
After Kona, return to MK if we feel like we missed something, or back to POR to relax

Tuesday May 25: AK
8:20am ADR Donald's Safari Breakfast, then safari
not doing any other big rides (kids too little), just going to walk around, hoping to catch either Lion King or Nemo, and enjoy the park

Either 2:45pm ADR at Sanaa or 4:30pm ADR at Boma still undecided

Then back to POR for the rest of the day

Wedesday May 26th: Epcot (finally) World Showcase Day
9:30am ADR akershus (4yo request)
lunch CS anywhere we choose around WS (praying kids nap in strollers)
6pm ADR Le Cellier
Illuminations

Thursday May 27th: Epcot Future world day- and departure day :(
No ADRs
Plan is to get there early, explore as much of future world as possible and leave around 1:30 for POR
Must catch ME at 3pm from POR

Due to the ages of the kids we are skipping most of the big rides (except Soarin- DH really wants to try it)

Are we planning to much?
Is there something you would change?

Thanks for the help!

Since you're going to DHS during SWW, if your young Jedi isn't selected for the Jedi training, try the Padawan Mind Challenge. It's only offered during SWW, and I haven't experienced it, but I know that young Padawans and their families lead the SW parade at DHS on the day they participate. It's cute to see all of the kids in their Jedi robes and carrying their light sabers in the parade! I'm sure there's more info about it somewhere on the boards.

Also, you mentioned you're thinking about adding a lunch ADR...DEFINITELY do that! We've been to SWW the last 2 years, and it's so nice to have a break from the crowds and the heat at lunchtime. And, it's crowded at SWW, so without a reservation, it will be next to impossible to get a TS lunch. I would definitely make an ADR if you haven't already.

Some preparation thoughts
Don’t make a big deal of where you are going or the air plane ride to Florida. New adventures can be scary for a little one.

* The best thing you can do before you go is to buy a Disney Sing-along Fun video and or watch as many Disney Movies as possible. You can find them online or at a Disney Store or your local library. This way the child will get the full experience and will know the majority of the characters from the movies.

* When you are in the parks go on a character hunt (turn it into a game for the little ones). When they find a character have them get their autographs.

* If your four year old knows about the trip already share your excitement about what you may see at Walt Disney World (WDW), how much fun it will be, adventure to sleep in hotel and go swimming etc.. Don't overdo it! Slide your trip into conversation. You can even talk about Tinker Bell and her pixie dust. Lots of reassurance that Mom will be there.

* Use a coutdown calendar/paper chain links to tear off as you get closer to date. Also let them help pack. Ask aboutt their favorite snacks, shirt to wear, or what other special toys they want to bring.

* If you have a chance visit an event that has costumed characters (Chuck E Cheese?). Some children are afraid of the characters as they are just so HUGE to little ones. Also, If you view a Disney movie and are dealing with a scary part of a movie like the witch in Snow White. Teach your little ones to say "boo" to the witch on Snow White. So if you go on the Snow White ride with the little ones. They can “boo” when they feel scared.

* Finally, taking a four year old to WDW involves getting yourself ready! Abanded your own mindset and commando agenda. You need a willingness to let your child set the pace and let go of your own ideas. Let go of your conviction that the ride would be more fun for him (maybe, maybe not) and just let him enjoy what caught his eye. It’s no fun spending a lot of time arguing or trying to convince a small child to do something else.

* First day at the park: start with some shows and mellow rides and work your way up! If Magic Kingdom is your first day, Fantasyland is perfect place to start. For example fly with Dumbo (remember the movie), then do Peter Pan, Pooh, Small World, etc. Skip Snow White (Very Scary Witches unless you taught them to “BOO”) and maybe head to TuneTown for Barnstormer. It'll give them confidence going on rides.

* While you are in the parks you will be able to tell the parents who are commandos trying to survive marathon days. It is easy to tell because their kids are in exhausted hysterics by evening. My suggestion is to break up your day. The best schedule is to go to your chosen Park early in the morning, then return to the resort by noon (have lunch), taking a break relaxing at the resort and then go back. If you choose to stay in the parks in the middle of the day there are some oasis for the kids. At Disney Hollywood Studios you can use Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground. To de-stress at the Magic Kingdom visit Tom Sawyer’s Island. There is a quiet boat ride over an unstructured play area with caves to explore. Animal Kingdom has a similar spot called The Boneyard in Dino-land, where there are slides, caves, tunnels and places to dig in the dirt.

* Here’s what NOT TO DO: Start the day at Animal Kingdom and have the first ride be Dinosaurs. :scared1: Now image your little one on this ride! Your child will now think all the rides are scary and horrible! If this happens proceed to line up your child for therapy for the next 5 years.

We will be there the same time but are arriving Friday night and will also be at POR. We also plan to be at SWW on Sunday and MK on Monday too and I have a 4 yr old SW freak too, small world!

Anyway I think you plan looks good, not too agressive, a nice mix of sit down TS places to break up the heat and exhaustion. Just be sure and take those mid day breaks or you will regret it as much or more than your children will. One think about Jedi training is you may want to prepare your 4 yr old, a CM will be asking them ?'s prior to selection and they will have to be able to answer, its easy stuff like name, do you think you will be scared of Vader, etc, but oru 4 yr old (week from 5 when we go) can be really really shy so around strangers so we are trying to prep him beforehand so he doesn't get eliminated b/c he refuses to talk to the CM.

And go with the Boma ADR, it is fabulous, not to be missed in our book. I hear great things about Sanaa too but we can't break away from Boma to try it. Boma will also have a decent selection of kiddie food (corn dogs, mac and cheese, spaghetti, etc) to keep the little ones happy.

Looks like at AK you will be skipping the big rides, I hope this doesn't mean the Safari it is an experience not to be missed, unique and something your kids will love.

Also check into child swap so the adults can ride the bigger attractions they are great and you will be doing good 'reasearch' for your next trip when you little ones might be big enough to ride.

Pirategirl-I can't believe you will be there at the same time- too funny! Thank you for the tips.

Boma- I like that if we go to Boma we can first walk around AKL a bit and checkc out the animal viewing areas.

with Sanaa, I like that it is earlier (getting us back to our resort sooner for our chill out evening), and has the animal viewings of course

It really is a hard choice lol! I am leaning towards Boma, and I think DH is leaning towards Sanaa

Edited to Add:

Tabitha- we are still doing the safari! Also- on your DHS day- what are you doing meal wise?

Hi,

I have to agree with the pp about not going commando and listening to your children. Your vacation will go a lot smoother and you will enjoy it more. I think your schedule looks good except for the Epcot WS day. You don't have a break in there, I would suggest like others to make sure you go back to the resort or find down time some where. That will be a long day and night.

I am not sure of your flight on your departure day but the ME will pick you up 3 hours before your flight time. I am not sure if 1:30 would be enough time to get back if you have to still check your luggage at the resort.

AK is one of my favorite parks. There is so much beauty there I am glad to see that you are going to go and explore it. Make sure you take the walk through safari, and the drive one it is amazing. The Lion King Show is awesome, my daughter loved it.:)

Thank you Bobbie-

I was just looking over our World Showcase day- it probably makes sense to head back to the resort for a while around lunch time! Our flight leaves at 6pm, so we have to catch the magical express by 3pm from POR. We will have already checked out, and given them our luggage first thing in the morning before heading to Epcot (however- we are completely ok with just hanging out at the resort on departure day if we feel the need).

I really love everyone's advice about not being commando, and rather going with the flow. I think so much of disney is enjoying the atmosphere and allowing time to take pictures, sit on the benches to people watch, etc. I promise to allow myself, and the kids time to soak it all in- and if that means we miss some rides (and possibly some adrs- which I will cancel of course) then so be it.

CANT WAIT!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter