Our First Pop-up Camper

Gizerd

Earning My Ears
Here's the proof Bama-Ed!

Now, my husband and I are avid tent campers and backpackers. We have a 4x4 Wrangler, Sahara with full tow package and a portal tent...We love it.

But....planning to camp at Walt Disneyworld for two weeks and admittedly getting older...has made us start to look at more comfortable, time saving options.

Insert our very first pop-up!

This being said, we're taking it slooooooow and trying not to invest too much until we're sure we like RVing. After looking and looking, I found this old baby (1999 Flagstaff) at a Going-out-of-Business Sale for only $1,000!! It has the shower toilet, hot water heater, propane stove and 3-way refrigerator--no rust and everything is in working condition. The canvas has some rips and there is a soft spot in the wood of the roof where I'll need to replace the wood and create new screw holes for the canvas attachment. Might invest in a whole new canvas eventually but this one doesn't leak (we've had some pretty good rainstorms and I left it up to test it out).

All in all, it's a nice purchase. We took it out for the first time last weekend to a nearby state park, just 2 hours away. Far enough to try out driving a trailer for the first time but close enough to be able to save our butts if something went wrong. Me being a complete newbie, something DID go wrong. I had never learned to downshift (we have a manual) and I rode my brakes the last 20 miles of our trip on the side roads. Got to the park and popped on the e-brake and it immediately started melting and smoking like crazy!

Needless to say, I have since learned to go slower, let people pass me and downshift on the hills rather than ride the brakes. We LOVED being in the camper, but we did NOT like the people next to us that had 3 barking dogs...we need to find some good spots to go, lol!

I am currently in the process of making new curtains and reupholstering the cushions. It didn't smell bad, like water mold or anything, but it did smell old--so we're washing and replacing all the soft materials first (I have a sensitive nose) I'll post more pictures as I work on it.

The insides...sans cushiony thingies...and pre scrub down (it was pretty dirty but good old soap and water made it white as new)

My silly husband.

-e

Nice, can't wait to see the pics after the remodel.

Glad you were able to get it turned right side up, lol!

We started with a pop up after tent camping. Lots of happy memories ahead! Congrats!

OKAY, okay, "UNCLE". I bow down to you, gizerd, you have pictures so it happened. :rotfl2: :worship:

Looks like a nice unit. Age is not so important on a used popup if it's been cared for or kept in good conditions. That fact that the appliances are in good shape is a good sign.

Take care of your roof first and foremost. I kept a container of DampRid inside the door while it was closed up to take up any moisture that might be inside. Also while you are refurbing the unit, if the axle hasn't been repacked lately, or you don't know when it was, repack the bearings in fresh grease (youtube or your popup service dealer is your friend) to keep that in good shape. Canvas can be had by companies like "Canvas Replacement" or "Bear Creek Canvas". Expect to pay about $1,000 but folks who have done it are very happy with it. A 2" memoryfoam mattress topper makes those popup mattress with the flat board underneath feel a WHOLE lot better. I promise!

Popup tires are good for only 4-5 years. You don't want to have a flat tire on the way to the Fort (don't ask me why I say that :rolleyes1). Buy camper radials if you can (that are the right size of course).

I have probably a year camping in tents on the ground as a Boy Scout in my youth and as a Dad of two Eagle Scouts who went on all their campouts. I've done parts of the AT and Pinhoti. I had 5 trips to Philmont, a BSA High Adventure Camp in the New Mexico Rockies, and my best trip was to the Grand Canyon in April 2009 on the Corridor Trails. So I know what you mean about wanting to get off the ground at a certain age and into a popup.

Seriously, I'm happy for you. And please don't make fun of DH like that. I have to stick up for him and me. We guys love our campers too. :smokin:

Bama Ed

PS-I recently traded in my beloved Jayco popup that had 175 nights camping in it and got another popup, a hardwalled Aliner Expedition. I could have moved up to a Travel Trailer, Hybrid, or more, but wanted to keep it simple with a popup. We took it on every vacation we went on in the last 10 years except one (Washington DC between Christmas and New Years) and the Aliner will hopefully keep us off the ground and ready to "grab and go" easily.

Holy cartoon! I feel like I just went to RV school...GREAT tips. I don't know what half of the stuff you said actually is, but I turned it into a "To Do" list and am seriously looking forward to Googling it!

I think I will take your first piece of advice this weekend and start with that corner of the roof before the canvas rips fully off and we do have leakage.

I'm considering a butt load of white duct tape for the canvas holes until we commit to investing in a new canvas :)

Do you know how hard it is to replace a canvas on your own?

How do you know when camper tires are bad? Tread? the same as a car?

:teacher:I'll throw my 2 cents in. Don't don't don't overload the trailer. The leaf springs on popups are not heavy duty. They sell canvas repair kits online and places like gander mountain/ bass pro shop. Or you can do what we did and cut squares from a old tent and stitch patches on the canvas. I think joAnnes sells the special heavy duty needle and thread. Make you sure you use seam sealer on the stitches when done. Its 3 bucks at wally world. Replacing the canvas is not hard at all. As for tire's, the big thing is dry rot from sitting. We pulled our skamper popup with a full size van so we didn't know it was back there most of the time. With your jeep, you might be getting some sway back there, so maybe a anti sway bar. It helps a lot. Just remember to unhook it 'every time' you back into a camping spot. My last bit of advise from many years of popup camping is open it up when you get home and let it air out.
Happy camping

Congratulations! A very smart move to get a rv on a 'very' entry level! ;)
Especially, if you're not too sure of the move 'up'!

If you've been that avid a tent camper for so many years - you may not like getting off the ground - but my take is that you will love it! ::yes::

Many happy camping trips ahead to you!! :)

Holy cartoon! I feel like I just went to RV school...GREAT tips. I don't know what half of the stuff you said actually is, but I turned it into a "To Do" list and am seriously looking forward to Goggling it!

I think I will take your first piece of advice this weekend and start with that corner of the roof before the canvas rips fully off and we do have leakage.

I'm considering a butt load of white duct tape for the canvas holes until we commit to investing in a new canvas :)

Do you know how hard it is to replace a canvas on your own?

How do you know when camper tires are bad? Tread? the same as a car?

I only know something about popups because I made just about every mistake you can under the sun with one....

I had some light gray vinyl canvas that had a few small pieces of duct tape of a similar color on it. You will fit right in with all the other popups.

Bear Creak Canvas' website has two short videos about canvas replacement. It doesn't seem hard, just a little awkward since some of the pieces of canvas can be big. You might want to search the forums at http://www.popupexplorer.com too. Those folks know a lot over there and have seen it/done it.

Tires are stamped with an alphanumeric code indicating when they were manufactured. http://www.tirebuyer.com/education/how-to-determine-the-age-of-your-tires#.U3VDwO9OXIU Also as I said if you should need new tires (don't forget the spare) make sure you get camper-specific tires (radials preferably). My dad worked for BF Goodrich (back when that company actually built the tires sold under their name) and the factory would get contracts to make off-brand camper tires with specs my father called "paper mache". So go for camper radials.

Bama Ed

PS - forgot to mention check the caulk along the roof panel down where it comes down and fits over the bottom part of the camper. The transition between the big smooth roof panel and the external edge trim is probably caulked and cracks in the caulk allow water to possibly leak in. I kept my pup in the garage so I had to only recaulk once in the 10 years I had it. If you have soft wood in a corner of the roof I would check the outside caulk over that location for possible cracks. If you have to replace the caulk, use a marine (boat) grade caulk (the type recommended for RVs as well). A regular household caulk won't cut it.

1) Absolpositively.
2) SMART, VERY SMART.

I agree! We went from

1) Camper van
2) Camper van with pop up
3) Camper van with Hybrid Toy Hauler and finally
4) Camper van with travel trailer bunkhouse

Stepping upward allows you to find out if you really like RVing as a whole and what you really like and don't like in a camper.

Notice the camper van is still a constant. Man, I love that thing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter