Our first family trip - which resort?

Butler_chic07

Mouseketeer
I need help from this incredible DVC family! My husband and I are planning our vacation for next year, but this year our planning is very different. Up until now it's only been the 2 of us traveling, but next year we will have our 6/7 month old son with us! I thought maybe staying along the monorail might be a good choice next year, but I just don't know! So now we need your help and advice.

We are so excited to take our first family trip, and enjoy all the aspects of Disney we haven't necessarily enjoyed in the past. We are excited to take an even more relaxed vacation.

So any suggestions on where we should stay for our first family vacation?

Thank you all in advance and we can't wait to hear your suggestions!

need to know what your home resort is and when you want to go next year.

Being able to roll a stroller onto a monorail or boat vs taking s bus is sooo much easier on the parent.

Overall a trip at that age is for you (and your memories) vs the child, so it's fine staying near the parks you most enjoy.

I do think that is a perfect 1st trip age. They generally enjoy a lot of stroller time, yet are alert enough to notice some sights. Congrats and enjoy!

Thank you! Our home resort is AKL, and the nice thing is we have more of a choice this year on when to go. I'm a teacher, so usually we are limited to the summer, but this year I'm taking some time off, so we have lots of options.

I know it is a trip more for us, we didn't go last year, so we wanted to use our points this year. We really enjoy all the parks, so aren't attached to any.

I just keep going back and forth because I think it would be nice to stay on the monorail for ease, but I also think staying in the Epcot area might be nice as well. I'm just torn!

I agree about the monorail resorts, although we didn't do that until Feb, when our kids were 5. We have twins, so it was a double stroller or 2 singles for a while! Buses are a pain with strollers, but if you're not going at peak season it's really not terrible.

He's not going to care if there are animals at AKL or a fireworks view at GF, so just go with what you want.

We surprisingly loved OKW for the big beautiful rooms, nice pool and boat rides to DTD.

Monorail resort for ease of getting stroller on and off the monorail without folding it up. I'd suggest BLT.

Thank you! Our home resort is AKL, and the nice thing is we have more of a choice this year on when to go. I'm a teacher, so usually we are limited to the summer, but this year I'm taking some time off, so we have lots of options.

I know it is a trip more for us, we didn't go last year, so we wanted to use our points this year. We really enjoy all the parks, so aren't attached to any.

I just keep going back and forth because I think it would be nice to stay on the monorail for ease, but I also think staying in the Epcot area might be nice as well. I'm just torn!
For varieties sake, I'd attempt EPCOT this trip, Monorail next trip (because MK will matter more), then AKV (enjoyment of animals) after that.

Just remember Disney peak is not necessarily DVC peak (like F&W through NYE)

And FWIW, you can roll a stroller onto a Friendship Boat from an EPCOT resort and go to EPCOT or DHS (2 parks) just like you can roll a stroller onto a monorail and go to 2 parks (MK and EPCOT). MK has more rides without height restrictions, but it depends on how many days you plan to spend in MK vs DHS)

Last edited:
The one time we stayed at BLT, every time we boarded the monorail at the CR, guests were told to fold up their strollers.

The one time we stayed at BLT, every time we boarded the monorail at the CR, guests were told to fold up their strollers.
You do have to fold up a stroller to use the escalator from the concourse up to the monorail platform.
But there is an elevator, if you want to wait for it.

We're monorail platform CM's making strollers folding up? Was that a peak park opening time?

Since you are a member and will be staying at all of the resorts, just pick one and go for it. Keep a journal of the resorts pluses and minuses so you can compare notes for your second go around. Much of your decision will be based on room availability at 7 months.

:earsboy: Bill

You do have to fold up a stroller to use the escalator from the concourse up to the monorail platform.
But there is an elevator, if you want to wait for it.

We're monorail platform CM's making strollers folding up? Was that a peak park opening time?
It was told to guests just before the monorail arrived at the CR, after they rode up the elevator or escalator.

It was not at peak opening time. Maybe later in the morning or just after lunch time? They explained that the monorail coming from the MK would be full and all guests needed to fold up their strollers.

As you go along, you'll find that you enjoy each resort for different reasons. One thing for sure is you won't be disappointed in any of them. Just be sure to book as far out as you can to ensure your best chance of having multiple options.

Since this is a trip for you, I'd suggest you figure where you're going to want to spend time/which park you like. We went this past summer with our 10 month old and stayed at BLT because we knew we'd want to take him on a few rides and MK has a bunch with no height restrictions. It was easy going to EPCOT as well as walking over to MK. It was also nice when he was napping in the morning for me/wife to run over and get in a ride or two in. We did do two days at the Poly and he absolutely loved the kids' splash area. Loved both, would stay at either.

I need help from this incredible DVC family! My husband and I are planning our vacation for next year, but this year our planning is very different. Up until now it's only been the 2 of us traveling, but next year we will have our 6/7 month old son with us! I thought maybe staying along the monorail might be a good choice next year, but I just don't know! So now we need your help and advice.

We are so excited to take our first family trip, and enjoy all the aspects of Disney we haven't necessarily enjoyed in the past. We are excited to take an even more relaxed vacation.

So any suggestions on where we should stay for our first family vacation?

Thank you all in advance and we can't wait to hear your suggestions!
I would definitely look into BLT. You can enjoy great and convenient meals on the monorail and have easy access to Epcot and MK. We went when our son was 6 months old, but didn't go in any parks. Just rented boats and strolled around the resorts and Downtown Disney and ate, ate, ate.

BLT- too bland----POLY- construction my pick would be VFG studio

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter