Our First DW Trip - August 2012

Hockeyfan17

Mouseketeer
It has been 6 months since I have booked our first ever vacation to Walt Disney World, and at this point it is getting very hard to wait. I have been doing a lot of lurking on these posts, and have learned a great deal about WDW.

For this trip, it will be myself (37), my DW (36), and my two DD's (4 and 7). We are travelling August 21-28, 2012. We are staying at POR in a Royal Room, and were lucky enough to get a free Disney Dining Plan (very excited about this savings).

We haven't told our DD's as of yet, because it would then be the longest 6 months of our lives (being asked everyday if we will be going soon). I know that they will be over excited, because everytime they see the WDW commercials on tv, they ask when we can go.

Because of this excitement, I thought I would share our plans, ADR's, and see what everyone thought of our plans for this first (but likely not last) trip to WDW.

We will be flying out of Buffalo, NY on the 21st, so that means leaving Ontario on the 20th, and staying overnight in Buffalo. Our flight leaves Buffalo at 6:10am, putting us into MCO at 8:45am. Our kids have flown many times before, and most of the time early in the morning, so having them up early is not an issue. They usually will sleep on the plane as well. So here goes with our daily plans:

Day 1 - Arrive at WDW and POR about 10:00am. Head directly over to Animal Kingdom, where we plan to spend the day. I'm thinking an early lunch at Flame Tree BBQ. Enjoy the day there, and we have an ADR at Boma for dinner.

Day 2 - Wake up early, and head to Epcot for the morning. Not sure what our list of attractions will be as of yet, but we plan to spend the morning there. Back to the resort for some rest/swimming in the afternoon, before heading back to Epcot for dinner and Illuminations that evening. We are planning dinner at Via Napoli this night.

Day 3 - Our very first trip to the Magic Kingom. Our girls will be so excited to see Cinderella's Castle. We plan on getting there for Rope Drop (actually EMH at 8:00am). Plan on staying there for the morning, and again heading back to POR for some R and R in the afternoon. We are going to leave invitations on the girls bed so that when we return, there will be an invitation for them to meet Cinderella at her Castle for Dinner. This will probably put my girls over the top. Back to MK and CRT for dinner, followed by the Magical Parade and Wishes to end the evening.

Day 4 - Later start to let the girls sleep in if they like (they are usually up by 6:30 anyways), and we have a free day planned. My guess is that we are going to go to either Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach for a bit this day. Dinner and shopping at DTD to follow, with an ADR at Raglan Road.

Day 5 - We are going to Holleywood Studios for the day today. We'll see how the day goes, and go back to the resort in the afternoon if necessary. Dinner at 50's Prime Time Cafe tonight.

Day 6 - Now that we have been to each of the parks, our final two full days, and our departure day are free to re-visit the parks of choice. My guess is that we will likely be visiting MK today again, as I'm guessing my DD's will want to go back. Dinner will be at Chef Mickey's, so easy to get to and from MK.

Day 7 - Final full day at WDW. Totally up to the girls as to where we go today. May do the other water park for part of the day as well. We are having dinner tonight at Whispering Canyon.

Day 8 - Today is departure day, but we don't leave MCO until 6:15. This gives us until about 1:30 at the park of our choice. Again, I will leave it up to the girls to decide. Possibility of going back to AK if we didn't get to see it all on day 1.

I really want to make this vacation special for our girls, and that is why we have left so much time for them to choose. Our TA is making our ADR's for us in a couple of days (I believe that they can be made on the 23rd of February), but as you can see we are making many of them at resorts so that we can visit the park of our choice for the day. We will not be getting park hopper tickets, because as newbies, we didn't really feel the need to spend the extra when we will be happy at one park each day.

I'm sure I'll have more to write in the future, but that's it for now. All comments are welcome and encouraged. Cheers.

Hey Hockeyfan!
Great to see you in the trip reports. I was just checking in to see if anyone going in August had started up a report yet and was happy to stumble upon yours.

I think its great you are planning some unplanned times in your trip. I need to look at my plan again but I dont think any of our park days overlap. Just the friday at the waterpark I think. How did you decide which park to go to?

Have you booked a hotel in Buffalo yet?

Thursday is our ADR morning. I was planning to book the Hoop de doo revue but it looks like it is closed for refurbishing while we are there. Now I have to redo my plans and revisit some stuff. Still I am looking forward to thursday. I'm going thorough a TA too but I like to make my own ADRs. Normally I hate getting up early but for Disney-No problem.

Sounds like a great trip!
Is this your first trip, too? Or just your daughters. Sounds so well planned for a first trip! Haha.

I think its great you are planning some unplanned times in your trip. I need to look at my plan again but I dont think any of our park days overlap. Just the friday at the waterpark I think. How did you decide which park to go to?.

I looked at the crowd calendar on Touring Plans, but also the schedule of events for the parks. I felt that going to Animal Kingdom on the first day may be good, because after flying, the kids wouldn't be able to handle much more. This way it can be an early evening. Magic Kindom on Thursday because of the Parade, and we can't deprive the girls. Other than that, it was based on crowd expectations.

Have you booked a hotel in Buffalo yet?.

We Have. I booked through Trinity Reservations, and am staying at the Staybridge Suites for $105 taxes and parking included.

Hopefully we may run into each other around the resort, or on the free days. Cheers, and happy planning as well. Keep me posted.

Sounds like a great trip!
Is this your first trip, too? Or just your daughters. Sounds so well planned for a first trip! Haha.

It is my first trip as well, and thanks for the compliment. I am a research freak, and will do whatever it takes to make any vacation/purchase a good one. I have been on the forums for some time now, and am just hoping that this vacation is magical for my children (and us too). Cheers.

I ran across this in allears weekly.

Beginning at 3 a.m. Eastern time on February 23, Disney's reservation system will be unavailable until later in the afternoon that day as it undergoes an enhancement that will affect operations. The reservation system update will affect bookings for: Walt Disney World, Disneyland Resort, Aulani, Disney's Vero Beach Resort, Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, and the Hotels of the Disneyland Resort. You will not be able to book room-only or vacation-package reservations by phone or online at this time. This includes making new resort reservations, making modifications to existing resort reservations, providing confirmations or making payments. This will also affect reservations for dining, dinner shows, tours, recreation, children's activity centers, and Cirque du Soleil's La Nouba at Walt Disney World, as well as Disney's Online Check-In Service. Note that this enhancement project also will affect systems on February 27 from 4 a.m. to 7 a.m. (Dates and times are subject to change.)

I'm thinking this means we won't be able to make our ADR's tomorrow morning as scheduled. I've been looking forward to it for so long the thought of waiting until the afternoon is quite a disapointment.

I'm sure we will run into each other but we have different park days. When I did my planning I had to fit in our friend's dates who are there from the 19-25. If you haven't yet check out easywdw.com for another look on which park days are good. I belong to touring plans too as well as TGM. We're not big on parades or fireworks so I didn't have to work around those. We'll do Fantasmic though. Here's my quick overview.

Tues 21-arrive noon, MK evening Crystal Palace (it's tradition for us)
Wed 22-DS Sci Fi (paying out of pocket for lunch)
Thurs 23-EP Was supposed to be Hoop De Doo now maybe Teppan Edo?
Fri 24-waterpark probably TL 1900 Park Fare
Sat 25-MK Chef Mickey's
Sun 26-AK Tusker House for breakfast, maybe DTD and Disneyquest evening?
Mon 27-EP Akershus for breakfast, Garden Grill dinner
Tues 28- waterpark, fly out at 4.

Hi! Your plan sounds great and I'm so excited for you and your family to experience this for the first time together! Especially your daughters!

It will be me and my son's (age 9) first trip as well in August. So far, I have our ADRs in, but no idea how else to plan. I feel kind of overwhelmed. So, your planning helps me figure out what how we are going to go about it. =)

I did my ADR's and got most of what I wanted. Then I changed my mind. I'm thinking about switching one at least and maybe two.

Hope you got what you wanted.

We've got 176 days left until we get there. I wonder how many more times I will change my mind between now and then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter