• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

our first DREAM cruise....does this mean we're pirates?

Great job on the shoes!

Love the maxi skirts, I would love to know how to make them. So far my daughter's skirts and baby gear are as far as my sewing skills have gone.

The pillow cases are perfect, can't wait to see what they look like with signatures on them!

Your Halloween costumes are AWESOME! Amazing job!!!

Been super bad about getting on DIS the last few weeks! But just wanted to say that your shoes, skirts, pillowcases & costume are AWESOME! Getting close! Woo hoo!!!!

Hi Lori! I'm joining in, or should I say.. Jumping On Board!

Love your PTR so far- I went on the Disney cruise when I was I think 10 with my Dad & the most I remember about it was all the kid areas where adults weren't allowed! I remember one night at them we made Flubber!

The towels you made are so great!

I didn't realize they do a Halloween party on them, your costumes ARE SO CUTE! Love the idea. You are very talented!

I also adore your bathing suit & maxi skirts!

I want to eventually go on the Disney Cruise, but it would just be me & my fiance so I don't know if we should wait to go with kids. We actually were thinking of going to the Bahamas for ~4 day for our honeymoon and then to WDW for the rest of it..so a Disney Cruise could possibly work for that too.

Look forward to reading more!

Thanks for joining in!! I love when new people pop in!

I hope our kids have such great Disney memories when they're grown up!

Thanks for the compliments! Making stuff for our trips really helps me pass the time!

We've never cruises before, but I'm sure the cruises are not just for kids--CRUISE, lady, CRUISE!!! :sail: I think you'd have an amazing time! (Well, I can let you know for sure when we get back!)

WHAT? You don't need kids to go and have fun with Disney!
Unless you want to borrow a few? I have a couple... LOL

Agree! And I also have some practice kids you can borrow.....wait, how about you just take me and we'll leave the kids at home!

Great job on the shoes!

Love the maxi skirts, I would love to know how to make them. So far my daughter's skirts and baby gear are as far as my sewing skills have gone.

The pillow cases are perfect, can't wait to see what they look like with signatures on them!

Your Halloween costumes are AWESOME! Amazing job!!!

The maxi skirts are SSSSOOO super easy! I seriously don't know why I didn't make some sooner! You can find easy to follow directions on Pinterest (with a cute fold over waistband like yoga pants or a maxi you'd buy) but here's what I did. Found knit fabric, cut it to the right width, seamed it, cut elastic a couple inches shorter then my waist size. Here's the trickiest thing I did. Marked the elastic and fabric with pins in four equally spaced places. Pinned the elastic to the skirt. Stretched the elastic to the fabric and sewed around with a zigzag stitch. Then I put it on and marked where I wanted the length. Took it off and cut off the extra. You don't even have to hem it because the knit won't ravel, it just rolls up a little all cute like. Done! If you can see things for your daughter, you'll have no problems with a maxi skirt. Are you on Pinterest? We could follow each other!

Been super bad about getting on DIS the last few weeks! But just wanted to say that your shoes, skirts, pillowcases & costume are AWESOME! Getting close! Woo hoo!!!!

Glad you're back to the DIS! I am SO ready to do some cruising!!!

Just some more random questions for anyone.....

So we're vacationing with the X's, but we didn't book our trip together or anything. How can we get it so that we and the X's are table mates for dinners? Do we just call them when we can book things and let them know or would we need to make a special request somewhere?

Does anyone have any tips for our castaway cay day? Is there kids club on the island? I doubt we'd use it but, they might want to go. Anything we shouldn't miss? I already heard we should do the snorkel thing right away before the sand gets all kicked up. I want to find that sunken Mickey and Minnie!

What nights are there fireworks and where is a good place to see them from? I've read that people have missed them because they were standing in a bad spot and couldn't see anything. Any advice would be great!

Just some more random questions for anyone.....

So we're vacationing with the X's, but we didn't book our trip together or anything. How can we get it so that we and the X's are table mates for dinners? Do we just call them when we can book things and let them know or would we need to make a special request somewhere?
I think you can call DCL and if you have their res. # you can link your reservations together so you can be seated at the same table

Does anyone have any tips for our castaway cay day? Is there kids club on the island? I doubt we'd use it but, they might want to go. Anything we shouldn't miss? I already heard we should do the snorkel thing right away before the sand gets all kicked up. I want to find that sunken Mickey and Minnie!
There is a kids club area on CC, we didn't use it either though. It's away from the water but I believe there is a splash play area. Sorry I can't comment on the snorkel thing, my older kids did the parasailing and didn't think it was worth the $$ for 10 ish minutes in the air. We mostly staked out a spot on the beach and stayed there for the day.

What nights are there fireworks and where is a good place to see them from? I've read that people have missed them because they were standing in a bad spot and couldn't see anything. Any advice would be great!
The fireworks are on pirate night, we had a great spot on the deck above the main deck where the pool is ( they cover up the pool with decking and do a pirates in the Carribean show) but you will want to stake out a place early, it gets pretty crowded up there. I think we were on the left side of the ship facing the big screen. Also don't miss the late night buffet after the pirate party ( if you're still hungry)

I think you can call DCL and if you have their res. # you can link your reservations together so you can be seated at the same table

Kelly is totally right. Call, and they will be happy to cross-reference your booking numbers so that you'll be seated together at dinner. Just make sure that you each chose the same dinner seating (early or late) when you booked! If not, one of you will need to change so that you're on the same seating. Then they can cross-reference the bookings. :cutie:

Thanks for the tips on everything, me hearties! (sorry, but you know I had to throw in some pirate-y ship talk!) I have another question, of course. on party nights, like pirate or Halloween party night, what's the best plan of attack? I don't actually know when the parties start, and I'm pretty sure we signed up for early dinner, so i'm wondering what's the best way to plan the night? since we've never been, I don't really know what all there is to do, but I know we'd like to trick or treat and meet jack and sally at the Halloween party and i'd like to see the pirate show, the fireworks and hopefully meet jack sparrow at the pirate night (and I hear the buffet is awesome--i'd love to check that out). any advice from someone who's done it? thanks!

so I know this PTR is sadly neglected! this waiting until you've paid to plan anything on the cruise thing is driving me nuts! fortunately, we're paying the cruise off at the end of this month, so then i'll finally have some idea of what we'll be doing to share with everyone!

another question--what's everyone think of the photo options for the cruise? is it worth spending the money on the disc to get the pictures? would I do ok just asking CMs to use my phone to take pics and save myself some gold doubloons? thoughts?

what else have I been up too? I finished the skirts for the girls to wear on pirate night. turned out pretty cute!

IMG_1270.JPG

Maddie modeled hers for me....she was in full on tattoo queen mode that weekend. we got a little carried away with princess tattoos, what can I say? (look how impressed DH is behind her! sarcasm, anyone? :rolleyes2)

IMG_1269.JPG

I also made this for the X's oldest. He's 17 and didn't want a hooded beach towel, of course--not cool....but this was ok with him.

IMG_1538_2.jpg

and.....I also finished our first day shirts for all 9 of us and pillowcases for Hannah, Maddie, C and L to drop off for characters to sign. the only thing I have left to sew is skirts for the girls to wear on arrival day.

IMG_1162.JPG

and--best thing--yesterday we were in the double digits until we leave!!! woohoo! or whatever the pirate or love boat equivalent would be...
IMG_1518_2.jpg

and, I couldn't let the chance for movie nights go by! I have three planned for before we leave; the first one is next weekend! be on the look out for a movie night update soon....popcorn::

i'll leave you with this picture of Madison. we found a snorkel/flipper set for her and she was super excited to try them on. she's even excited to go to the beach and swim in the ocean! (after I assured her no sharks would be there....)
IMG_0665.JPG

Yeah for doing the double digit jig!

Those first day shirts are super cute - great job with all your sowing!

I assume your movie nights won't feature Titanic or Swiss Family Robinson ;)

My haven't you been BUSY!!! It all looks amazing!!! :goodvibes

YAY for double digits!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance3::dance3:

you did such a cute job on everything! the shirts might be my favorite! but the skirts!!! Everything!!! Just adorable!!!!!! I wish i could sew!!!

Just WOW on everything you made! Honestly, I am so paying you next time I take a family trip to Disney to make some shirts or something for us! I love your stuff!

I don't know how the Halloween thing works but for Pirates Night, all activities are scheduled around the dinners so you are fine with whatever seating you have. Usually they have special characters out before/during/after each dinner seating so you can fit it in (lines are SO long for Pirate characters, just a warning!). Then the 'show' usually starts at 10 I think. It's pretty short, maybe 15 minutes? With fireworks shortly after that.

As for the photo package- it's really up to you. It is expensive. I personally think it's a better deal for the longer cruises vs the shorter cruises due to the price & photo opportunities. For the MOST part, you can hand off your camera to a 'handler' for the characters. The only place you could not do that is the professional backdrop pictures. When we did our 5 day Dream, I didn't buy it & I don't regret not buying it. For the 7 day Fantasy I did buy it and I am glad I bought it. For both, I made the choice to wait till I was on the ship before buying/not buying so I knew what my photos looked like and if it was worth it.

Let me know if Maddie wants my shark research so she knows where to get in the water based on shark sightings/attacks. :rotfl2:

:dogdance:Yay! An update! I love the new stuff you have made! You all are going to be so cute and full of pirate spirit!

When we went on the cruise photo packages were not available, so I am no help with that.:guilty:

Double digits that is so exciting. The summer goes so fast you'll be boarding before you know it!

My haven't you been BUSY!!! It all looks amazing!!! :goodvibes

YAY for double digits!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance3::dance3:

I am so excited to be in the double digits!! Can't wait for this trip!

you did such a cute job on everything! the shirts might be my favorite! but the skirts!!! Everything!!! Just adorable!!!!!! I wish i could sew!!!

Thanks! I really like doing iron ons. They always end up looking so cute and the hardest part is just peeling off the paper from the transfer sheet!

Just WOW on everything you made! Honestly, I am so paying you next time I take a family trip to Disney to make some shirts or something for us! I love your stuff!

I don't know how the Halloween thing works but for Pirates Night, all activities are scheduled around the dinners so you are fine with whatever seating you have. Usually they have special characters out before/during/after each dinner seating so you can fit it in (lines are SO long for Pirate characters, just a warning!). Then the 'show' usually starts at 10 I think. It's pretty short, maybe 15 minutes? With fireworks shortly after that.

As for the photo package- it's really up to you. It is expensive. I personally think it's a better deal for the longer cruises vs the shorter cruises due to the price & photo opportunities. For the MOST part, you can hand off your camera to a 'handler' for the characters. The only place you could not do that is the professional backdrop pictures. When we did our 5 day Dream, I didn't buy it & I don't regret not buying it. For the 7 day Fantasy I did buy it and I am glad I bought it. For both, I made the choice to wait till I was on the ship before buying/not buying so I knew what my photos looked like and if it was worth it.

Let me know if Maddie wants my shark research so she knows where to get in the water based on shark sightings/attacks. :rotfl2:

I would LOVE to make stuff for your cute girls!! I'm serious--if you need something next time, let me know!

Thanks for the Pirates night tips. I really just want to meet jack sparrow cuz....well, I don't have to explain it to you....

I'm thinking no photo package this trip. It just seems so dang expensive for such a short trip.

Oh, that girl! I didn't really think about the fact that she would of course assume sharks would be there since Octonauts and wild kratts have told her sharks live in the ocean. I told her there is a net to keep the big fish and sharks out of the swimming area. I hope that's right or I am gonna be in BIG trouble! She may want your research just to reassure herself, or prove to me why she's not swimming in the ocean! :fish:

:dogdance:Yay! An update! I love the new stuff you have made! You all are going to be so cute and full of pirate spirit!

When we went on the cruise photo packages were not available, so I am no help with that.:guilty:

Double digits that is so exciting. The summer goes so fast you'll be boarding before you know it!

I am so ready for this cruise, Jackie.....I know I just got some Disney, but I am so burnt out at work and ready for another get away!

Yeah for doing the double digit jig!

Those first day shirts are super cute - great job with all your sowing!

I assume your movie nights won't feature Titanic or Swiss Family Robinson ;)

Yes! Double digits!! I'm sure I did some sort of piratey jig. Thank goodness there is no photographic proof!

Lol! No titanic or Swiss family, but there will be some muppety pirates.....

Love, love, love all of your sewing projects! Those first day shirts are so cute! And YAY for double digits!!!!

Thanks for the Pirates night tips. I really just want to meet jack sparrow cuz....well, I don't have to explain it to you..

I made my husband (the one and only Cap't Killjoy stand in the Jack Sparrow line with me and he was SO PI$$ED because it was SO LONG and he absolutely could not see why I would want to stand in it... and I'm all like.. DUH, it's JACK SPARROW!!!! BTW- our picture turned out sucky because he was pi$$ed and two of my kids were as well since they were tired by the time we got to the front! Hahahahaha!

Oh, that girl! I didn't really think about the fact that she would of course assume sharks would be there since Octonauts and wild kratts have told her sharks live in the ocean. I told her there is a net to keep the big fish and sharks out of the swimming area. I hope that's right or I am gonna be in BIG trouble! She may want your research just to reassure herself, or prove to me why she's not swimming in the ocean!

There is a net- she is safe. Phew. :) Now the adult beach is a different story.. but I Don't think she'll be on that side!

DOUBLE DIGIT DANCE TIME!

dgs.gif

Thanks! I really like doing iron ons. They always end up looking so cute and the hardest part is just peeling off the paper from the transfer sheet!
I'm doing my iron-ons in a couple weeks and I'm STRESSED about it! :scared: And when I say "I'm" what I actually mean is my Mom. I really hope they turn out okay! I've got 6 iron-ons between three shirts to do. Nervous!

oh, I'm sure I'd never want to ditch my children....cough, cough, wink, wink..... :rolleyes:

yay! I'm so glad you're here! hopefully I'll find out good info to share with you for your future trip!

more goofy :goofy: jokes! something about going on this cruise is making me giddy! watch out--I plan to use poop deck sometime! fair warning....

oh yes, watch for a sewing/iron ons post for sure! there are so many cute ideas on that dang pinterest!

happy limo....I'm making notes. thanks!

also noting to look up above the bunks and every where else! I keep seeing all the pretty chandelier pics! I can't remember--have you all been on the dream before?

thanks for following over!

kids club--definitely a selling point! I'm so excited just thinking about having free time where I don't have to worry about what the girls are doing.

I agree--the porthole is cool, but the veranda does tempt me. lucky for us, the X's are a family of five and had to get a bigger cabin. I think they have a veranda. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if I snuck in to try it out, right?

yay! I'm so excited you're here!

don't ever worry about writing too much! i can't have too much info. I feel like I'm floundering :fish:(there's no flounder or ariel so this will have to do) here. this cruise planning is all new!

I've heard the hyatt is a little pricey. what do you think? I'm thinking the convenience might just make it worth it when I factor in the cost of a cab to another hotel (if we don't stay in a Disney resort) and the time involved. I've also been thinking about checking out the dark side and going a day early, staying at universal and doing a day with the girls there. I'd love them to see the dr suess area and the minions while they're still little enough to find that fun.

what all do we have to do when we get on the boat? get bands from kids club, do the safety muster thing....do I need to do meal planning or anything like fastpasses like when we go to the parks? do I sound totally stupid? feel like I should stamp CRUISE NEWBIE all over this ptr! :blush:

While the Hyatt may cost a little more, we find the convenience is worth it. Plus we fly in from the West Coast, so it tends to be later in the day. The hotel is clean, good service and plenty of dining options. Disney has it well organized and makes it pretty much stress free getting to the port. We do the DCL transfers, but we are only a family of 3. Plus my daughter needs a wheelchair lift/ramp and going through Disney, we know it will be handled. Have a wonderful time on the ship (we never get off except for Castaway Cay and Alaska). Way more fun than going into the ports.

I don't think there is an actual "trick or treat" in the traditional sense on the ship. Your cabin steward will leave a bag or two of candy in your cabin, would be fun though if they did have a real trick or treat around the ship.
We didn't pay for a photo package either, just paid for our photos individually. I felt a little guilty only selecting about 6 or 7 photos out of the probably 45 or so we had in our folder at shutters ( where you go to view your pics) I was amazed at how many there were to look at and I didn't think we stopped for that many photo ops!
Oh... Try to catch one of the CM photographers on Castaway Cay who take pics of your family playing in the water, they generally turn out really great
Yea for being under 100 days!!!:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter