Our 1st cruise, a Wonder wander from Van-San Diego Sept 2015 w/Navigators COMPLETED 11/11/15

12072705_10153154787917066_8243348924888657310_n.jpg

Ok I was just testing photos - my hubby also had a ton on his phone and he made an album on Facebook and tagged me in them. Turns out I can copy the url and paste it here! So anyway, this was a 'test' photo and glad it works so I'll be able to add more photos. And it comes up bigger than photobucket...hmmmm....the things one learns while writing their first trip report!

Ok I was just testing photos - my hubby also had a ton on his phone and he made an album on Facebook and tagged me in them. Turns out I can copy the url and paste it here! So anyway, this was a 'test' photo and glad it works so I'll be able to add more photos. And it comes up bigger than photobucket...hmmmm....the things one learns while writing their first trip report!

And the 2nd and the 3rd and the 4th and .... :rotfl2:

I found your TR! ;)

I am pleased to read that you could go to Wavebands instead of the horrid line in the lobby to get tickets for meets. That sounds eminently more sensible than what I endured... phew!

It's funny- we got a lot of pressure to register the kiddo for the kids clubs at Port, and we just ignored them (politely). It seems to take forever no matter where you are.

Good luck with the rest of the TR.

A couple more photos before I continue the end of day 1:

12109047_10153154781827066_2641196004543667027_n.jpg

The Wonder docked at Canada Place

12107992_10153154781872066_3715040632449611391_n.jpg

First beer onboard:

11218868_10153154782062066_1284540038453401406_n.jpg

Soon it was time for our first show, All Aboard! After doing a bit of unpacking - and the girls had sussed out the channels for cartoons - we headed down to the Walt Disney Theatre.

Tried to scurry the girls past Preludes but they saw POPCORN don't ya know. So we bought the bucket for $7-ish, knowing that we'd probably take advantage of the $3.50 refills during the rest of our cruise (we did). Alas, the poor bucket it did not make it home to Canada; while it made it to Anaheim it was Anaheim where it stayed because we purchased too much stuff at Disneyland and well, something had to go.

This was where we had our first interaction with Clayton, the Carlton-dancing cruise director (if he had been at the Sail Away party, which I'm sure he was, we somehow managed to miss him). Gotta love the energy of this man. WHO'S ON VACATION?!!!!! WE'RE ON VACATION!!!! Good times, good times.

All Aboard was a decent enough show, not the most entertaining but still well done. Gabi fell asleep in my husbands' lap at some point, as it had already been quite the event-filled day. And we hadn't even gotten to dinner yet.

The show ended just after 7pm and we decided, foolishly, to check out what the shops onboard had to offer. As did the HUNDREDS of other guests who came filing out of the Walt Disney theatre. Oops. We squeezed our way around the shop, making note of things we might like to purchase near the end of our cruise and somehow found our way out the other end and back to our cabin. Mickey Mouse went on the tv and we got dressed for dinner.

Our first dinner was at Animators Palate. It was everything everyone had described on the DisBoards and more! What an awesome dining experience.

This was to be our first introduction to our dining team and for the life of me I cannot remember their names!!!:worship::worship::worship::crazy::crazy::crazy: Oh my god, how much do I suck? But they were great, I can that for sure!

We also met our tablemates for the first time. I have to say DCL did a great job matching us up. Our dining companions were a family of 4 from the Bay Area, the nicest people. Their daughter, A, was the same age and grade as Gwen and their son, J, was the same age and grade as Gabi.

So what did we eat? yeah....that memory loss from before also extends to a lot of other things, including what we ate :sad2: I do, remember, however that I ordered the truffle pursettes as one of my appies, and they were delicious!! Thanks again to all those on the DisBoards who recommended those.

Anyway, so dinner went on and so did the show.

12072789_10153154782212066_8951336310187995404_n.jpg

Here is an incredibly unflattering photo of myself, the back of Gwen and the top part of Sorcerer Mickey:

12107100_10153154782297066_5513172430394142726_n.jpg

As wonderful as the dinner/show was, it was no match for the two youngest at our table. Gabi fell asleep in her chair (before dessert I believe) and J nearly passed out in the arms of his dad. Time to call it a night!

And so, we did ....after dessert :P

I found your TR! ;)

I am pleased to read that you could go to Wavebands instead of the horrid line in the lobby to get tickets for meets. That sounds eminently more sensible than what I endured... phew!

It's funny- we got a lot of pressure to register the kiddo for the kids clubs at Port, and we just ignored them (politely). It seems to take forever no matter where you are.

Good luck with the rest of the TR.

Yay, I'm so glad you joined in :thanks:

Day 2: Victoria
The girls woke at their usual early time (some time after 7am) and quietly (hahaha) turned on the tv until dh and I got up. We had 9:15 tickets for the princess gathering so we decided to be lazy and stay in the cabin until then, take the girls down and then go for breakfast. Now Gabi, who is usually quite outgoing, was proving to be anything BUT this trip. She had already made a face in our embarkation photo (rendering it awful, poor girl!) and now was refusing to wear one of her princess dresses to meet the princesses! Not sure what was going on with her, because before we left for trip it was all she could talk about "I'm going to meet Elsa, I'm going to wear my Elsa dress!" But she was having none of it. Gwen put on her Aurora dress and we went down to the Walt Disney theatre. Gabi refused to be in any of the photos *sigh* I swear in a few years she's going to want to see photos of this cruise and will wonder why she wasn't in many photos!

But Gwen was:

12106931_10153154782392066_2610250377337184916_n.jpg

12115513_10153154782462066_7307594821258019032_n.jpg

Oh well, whatcha gonna do?

After meeting the princesses Gwen wanted to change so Frank took her up to our cabin while Gabi and I went to deck 3 and got some fresh air. We met them near the elevators closest to Parrot Cay and went to breakfast.

"mommy" Gwen exclaims "the ship isn't moving any more!!! Why did we stop?" Because we're in Victoria, we told her. "Is the cruise over now?" Haha, no thank goodness ;-)

We had a fairly hearty breakfast at Parrot Cay (although those mickey waffles eluded my belly the entire cruise, grrrrr!) This was also our first taste of coffee from an MDR and I have to say, it wasn't half bad. It wasn't fabulous, but honestly we thought it wasn't awful, not like so many on the boards seem to think it is. Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

After breakfast the girls were dying to go to the kids club, but first I wanted to start delivering our FE gifts, taking advantage of many people being off the ship so we delivered the first 6, leaving the last 4 for later on. When we were done we dropped them off at the club and then we went to see Inside Out (dh was rather reluctant as we'd already seen it but knew I wanted to see it again on the ship). I love that movie :0 Well as hard as he tried I know DH was a bit bored so we left half way through (my idea) and went to explore the ship some more.

We checked out the various bars/clubs on deck 3, went to see the Duty Free shop (which was closed so we pressed our noses up against the glass) then went up to deck 9 and enjoyed some rather warm sunshine! It was nice being in port, but not getting off the ship (we've been to Victoria and Vancouver Island loads of times so we felt no desire to get off). I had a lovely mojito and then tried to kick my hubby's butt at ping pong ;-)

I can't remember what we did for lunch that day (actually all of the days we just grabbed something from the quick services places up on deck 9 by the pools) but I do know we had a LOT of ice cream cones :banana: so yummy!

That afternoon the girls went for a swim in the kiddie pool and it was super busy! DH had brought his beer stein up from the cabin and I got in trouble by the lifeguards a couple of times because I was drinking too close to the pool:confused3 oops.

12049215_10153154782537066_1122278060096930575_n.jpg

12108974_10153154782582066_4931719175709567795_n.jpg

After a long while we decided to grab the kids out of the pool and put them back in the club to suss out some more adult entertainment. Before that though I think we ended up delivering our remaining FE gifts.
We ended up playing bingo (yes I know kids are allowed in there)....not the best $40(US) we have ever spent haha:rotfl: but it was fun. Didn't win but came close. I was standing during a couple of the rounds and on the last one, which was a blackout game, I was only 2 numbers short when someone won. Darn it. After that I think we vowed no more bingo mwahahaha We grabbed a couple of coffees from Cove Cafe and walked around the deck again, before heading to our cabin and spiking themparty: then we went back up to get some sodas and came back down and spiked them with Vodka party:

Soon it was time to go to our 6pm show, The Golden Mickey's. We'd heard this was a popular show and while we didn't have any problems getting a seat the first night we thought we'd show up a bit earlier this time and I'm glad we did. DH went to get seats while I filled our popcorn bucket. Gotta say I think the Golden Mickeys was everyones' favourite show. It was so well done.

It was also during this show that I felt movement on the ship for the first time (and then every time after that when we were in the Walt Disney theatre I always felt movement). At first I thought perhaps I'd overdone it with the vodka and soda, but honestly we hadn't had that much to drink. When we left the theatre I was still feeling movement and by the time we were back in our cabin I was really feeling it. And not feeling too well. :sick: Uh oh.

I was glad for the hour between the show and dinner and I laid down while the kids watched tv. The movement didn't get any better so I finally relented and put on my seabands. Gabi is also prone to sea sickness (she was horribly sick on a boat ride in Cabo San Lucas 3 years earlier), but she said she didn't feel the movement and didn't want the bands.

At dinner that night (Parrot Cay) I was still feeling the movement. Our tablemates did not join us that night (they had gone to Palo for dinner and put the kids in the kids club) so we had the table to ourselves. I drank a lot of ginger ale lol and didn't really eat too much dinner. I ordered dessert, not sure why as I barely touched it. Ugh, I felt awful. Going out on deck, getting some fresh air, did nothing to help. So after dinner we went back to our cabin, put the kids to bed and I laid down and prayed for our room to stop moving. At this point the room was also creaking and the noise was getting on my nerves.

At this point I was getting a bit upset, thinking I'd feel like this the whole time and how would I enjoy the rest of the trip? And would I ruin it for the rest of my family? :confused: Read on to find out......

Oh no, sorry to hear you were feeling the movement. I am one of those lucky people who never gets seasick but I know a few people were on our PC cruise this year and I really felt for them Must be awful. Hope it got better. Really enjoying your trip report.

I was worried about getting seasick, but neither of us had an issue luckily. We took pills right before we got on that were recommended by the pharmacist that works at my hospital & never took them again.

You daughter is super cute in her aurora dress!

Day 3: Sea Day

Tuesday morning I awoke and felt........much better! Honestly, I think the movement actually helped me sleep more soundly (and I even got used to the creaking sounds of the room, though admittedly we could have done without it). Although I still felt some movement on the ship - and would continue to feel some movement for the rest of the cruise - it never bothered me again. Did I suddenly grow my 'sea legs?' The seabands never made a reappearance and stayed packed in the luggage.

We had left a room service tag on our door the night before as DH and I had a 10am reservation at Palo for brunch, but we wanted the girls obviously to have breakfast before we took them to the kids club (and we figured it was less hassle to get room service than to get them dressed and take them to Parrot Cay for breakfast). We had asked for a delivery window of 8:30-9:00 and breakfast arrived about 8:35.The girls enjoyed having their cereal and pastries in bed while watching Mickey Mouse cartoons for the umpteenth time, while DH and I got dressed for brunch.

Around 9:40 we took the girls to the kids club and then headed up to deck 10. Except we took the wrong elevator and ended up in mid ship instead of aft so we decided to take a nice fresh morning walk on the deck to get around to Palo.

FRACK!!! The weather had changed, now that we truly were 'at sea' - the sun had disappeared, the clouds were thick and man it was chilly outside. And windy. So much for my carefully-arranged hair. Brrrr.....dh laughed as I held my dress down ala Marilyn Monroe over the steam grate. As soon as we reached Palo I bolted into the ladies room to fix my hair :rolleyes2

We were early and the first to show up so we just stood in the main waiting area, looking at the books, etc in the glass cabinets. A few other couples arrived in the next few minutes and then the doors opened. Being it was the first block of reservations we received a great table right by a window.

12077046_10156184913305245_1055626113_n.jpg

12081614_10156184913225245_407112025_n.jpg

We met our server, a lovely gentleman from Slovakia (of course I forgot his name, apparently I'm pathetic at remembering names!!) We ordered mimosa's and after a nice big sip we were then brought around the buffet and shown all the gloriousness that is the Palo Brunch! Oh my.....where to begin??

Alaskan king crab legs? Yes please! Caviar? Don't mind if I do! Pastries galore and scallops together? You bet!

As for the entrees you can order, I was torn between one of the pizzas or the chicken parm; ended up ordering the chicken upon recommendation of our server and I was not disappointed. Can't remember what DH ordered (and I just asked him and he can't remember either LOL) Oh well, fairly certain he enjoyed it.

We declined ordering a second entry each and instead took yet another crack at the buffet:

12067934_10156184964230245_1988060387_n.jpg

12077321_10156184964275245_1424243084_n.jpg

Oh I lied, we did order something else each, strawberry soup!! A lovely ending to a fanastic meal!

12086822_10156184913395245_1182128511_n.jpg

Oh my oh my......it really was a fantastic meal. And not just because it was child-free :yo-yo:

DH later looked at the Palo menu for dinner, thinking maybe we'd try and get a reservation, but we actually vetoed that idea, thinking it didn't look 'special' enough for another upcharge. If anyone HAS done Palo for dinner on Wonder, feel free to chime in and let me know your experiences.

So at this point in the cruise we felt we were really settling in.....enjoying ourselves.....knowing the kids were having fun (both with and without us!)....we took the elevator down to deck 6 (no more walking outside without a jacket thankyouverymuch) and went back to our cabin to change. More FE gifts had been delivered so we brought in any that were for us and left any that were for the kids in their pockets for them to discover.

Looked over our navigators again to see which activities we'd like to do next....when out of the corner of my eye I spotted (not for the first time) the order form for a future cruise. Since I now I had my sea legs and was still glowing from the Palo brunch I seized my opportunity and pounced on dh re:booking onboard :worship:

Now I have to say even before we took this cruise I had already approached dh about cruising to Alaska in 2016 to celebrate our 40th birthdays. "but we haven't even taken our FIRST cruise yet!" he said, quite rightly so. I told him all the advantages of booking onboard and was met with "well let's just see how we like the first cruise and take it from there."

Well apparently I am a very persuasive wife because our next stop was the Future Sales desk on deck 4!

And yes, WilmaBride, we DID rebook onboard!:rainbow: The last Alaskan cruise for August 2016 (Aug 15-22 2016). We booked another inside room to save/cut cost but booked a deluxe inside room instead of standard - an extra 30 sq feet and split bath for only $100 more (total)? Sold. Coincidentally our 12th wedding anniversary happens to fall on the last full day (August 21) of that cruise, too. Oompa! More to celebrate! And Gwen will turn 8 on August 10th! Huzzah!

And then I took DH up to Cove Cafe for a stiff drink because I'm pretty sure he needed it :rotfl2::drinking1

Oh shoot, no actually I lie (geez I do that a lot!) we went down to Diversions and played a trivia game (but dh did order a drink, no lie there!)

After trivia I think we went up to the kids club and pulled the girls out for a bit, knowing we'd need to put them back in later that afternoon as we had a mixology with our cruise meet group booked for 4pm. We didn't mention the Alaska cruise to them (and still to this day have not told them) because there was still a chance that we might have to cancel it (but hopefully we won't!!!)

It really had not warmed up much so instead of going up to the pool deck or playing some foosball and ping pong up on deck 10 we blew some cash in the arcade for a bit. Then it was all "mommmmmmmm....can we get some ice cream???" Ah, what the heck. So we got cones and quickly scrambled back inside to eat them! Wandered around the ship some more, stopped for some character photos, looked at our photos thus far at Shutters and took a brisk walk around outside.

12118861_10153154782762066_7418104948273406017_n.jpg

The sun was now shining, but it was still quite breezy.

Then it was back to kiddie club because mom and dad had some drinkin' to do in the cadillac lounge!!!

We arrived just a few minutes before 4pm and most of our group was already seated so we joined in a couple of empty chairs near one end and struck up a convo with some lovely ladies from California and Alberta.

Our mixology host was a lovely fellow from Mexico, who, will quite informative, did talk on and on....and on......I tried to show interest but honestly I tuned him out a little, especially once all the drinks were in front of us. Less yappin, more drinkin! Because, you know, I'm classy like that.

There were 5 drinks total and for 4 of those drinks, a new group of 3 people was selected to come up to the bar and make their own. DH was called up for one of those groups and he was a very willing participant, let me tell you :rotfl:

All in all it was quite fun and for $20 or $25 it was a good way to get a bit sloshed and make new friends.

12115538_10153154782852066_7373025488264217046_n.jpg

Ok I had intended to make Day 3 one entry but it's getting late. So I guess pirate night, etc will have to be left for my next entry!

Last edited:
Awesome TR so far!!! Tagging along as I'm still waiting for my very first cruise to happen in February (torture to book so early and have to wait a year).

Awesome TR so far!!! Tagging along as I'm still waiting for my very first cruise to happen in February (torture to book so early and have to wait a year).

Thanks for joining in! So exciting, you have 2 cruises booked for next year, where are you sailing to?:boat:

Thanks for joining in! So exciting, you have 2 cruises booked for next year, where are you sailing to?:boat:

First one is just DH and I (to try it out) on a 3 night (yeah I know, not long enough but its a start) Bahama on the Magic. Then the 2nd one is 7-night with the two youngest kids still at home on the Fantasy to Western Caribbean. I would love to do the entire family in 2017 with my oldest two and a soon to be spouse but Im thinking we will be priced out by then. May do an OBB anyways just for a placeholder and can always cancel if it doesnt work out

I'm IN!!! I'm just starting your Victoria Day. Great start! We were just off the Wonder on Friday (our 2nd time on Wonder). Really interested in your take of a repositioning cruise. Booked a placeholder for hopefully 2017 Alaska, Panama Canal, or repositioning. We live in LA area so would love to avoid flights period or any lengthy flight. Can't wait for more!!!

I'm IN!!! I'm just starting your Victoria Day. Great start! We were just off the Wonder on Friday (our 2nd time on Wonder). Really interested in your take of a repositioning cruise. Booked a placeholder for hopefully 2017 Alaska, Panama Canal, or repositioning. We live in LA area so would love to avoid flights period or any lengthy flight. Can't wait for more!!!

:welcome: At the end of my TR I will also write a 'final thoughts' post, including what we thought about a repositioning cruise in and of itself.

Joining in!! I'm so glad to be able to finally see a picture of you! Your daughters are adorable.
Wasn't Palo brunch delicious? It looks like we had the same food on the Magic. I agree, I wasn't sure if the Palo dinner was really worth missing out on another MDR. I thought brunch was great though and would like to do it again.
Looking forward to more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter