Our first Christmas at the World...Update 9/7 Pg 9

topdog

DIS Veteran
I am not sure exactly how to start this TR but here it goes. This is our 4th trip, my 6th trip and DW’s 4th trip but our 1st Christmas at the World. My first Christmas at the World was back in 1978. Things were a lot different at the World. Many of what we saw at this trip wasn’t even exist back then. I wish I can remember more of what happen back then but as I get older, my memory is fading away slowly.:laughing:

In any event, this is a much more relax trip than last trip. After 14th months of planning, 12 days at the World with 4 digital cameras and 1 video camcorder, lots and lots of planning, we walked away with plenty of magical moments and…some not so magical moments as well. Don’t worry…in the end, it’s all good. I even got a few moments in front of the camera during the Christmas parade taping. Just look for a goofy tall Asian with blonde hair waving a fairly large camera when Darius Rucker is singing.

Initially, this was a 11 days trip at the world plus one day at an offsite hotel. Then DW surprise me with a change of plan on our 17th anniversary and move the offsite day to the World. In case any one ask, we stayed at Wilderness Lodge the whole entire trip.

For the past year, I’ve been reading a lot on this board to prepare my expectation at the World such as CM or guest behavior and resort dining reviews. It was quite an eye opening experience through out the trip compare to what I read on this board. Some are spot on but some are quite the opposite.

So…let the trip report begins…:banana:

Next post…Sleigh will be pack and Rudolph is ready to go. :santa:

Subscribing! :D Can't wait to hear about your trip!

~Zara
(soaking up all she can, she's booking for a christmas at the world for '11) :D

Yipeee! I followed your last trip report and I know this one is going to be just as awesome! I cannot wait for the next installment! :jumping1:
Merry Christmas Mr and Mrs Topdog!

Yay I'm here! I can't wait to see all the pictures, especially with your GF1. I think I am totally going to get one, but just waiting to see what the price is for the GF2 and seeing if it's going to be worth it. :)

Oh, yay! I've been waiting for your start. I loved your last trip report!
Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoy this TR as much as the last one.
Subscribing! :D Can't wait to hear about your trip!

~Zara
(soaking up all she can, she's booking for a christmas at the world for '11) :D
This TR has plenty of "moments" to talk about. :eek: Congratulation for your 2011 Christmas trip. Hope my TR can gives you some pointers.
I am here! Can't wait to hear it!:cool1:
Hi Annie. I sure have a lot of stories to tell on this trip.
:wave2::wave2::wave2:

Me Too, Me Too!! I can't wait to hear about your trip and of course your amazing pictures.

:banana::banana:
Hello PFM. :wave2: There are plenty of pictures on this trip, I guarantee.
Thanks for posting. Merry Christmas.
Merry Christmas to you too.
Yipeee! I followed your last trip report and I know this one is going to be just as awesome! I cannot wait for the next installment! :jumping1:
Merry Christmas Mr and Mrs Topdog!
Thank you GoofyFairie. Merry Christmas to you and your family too. I sure have a lot of stories to tell on this trip.
Yay I'm here! I can't wait to see all the pictures, especially with your GF1. I think I am totally going to get one, but just waiting to see what the price is for the GF2 and seeing if it's going to be worth it. :)
The GF1 is an awesome little camera. I am sure the GF2 will be a great camera too but the GF1 features is good enough for me. You won't be disappoint with either one.

There are plenty of pictures for this trip but I must confess. However, I did not use the GF1 as much as my other new camera on this trip. I'll let you guess what other new camera I get. Nonetheless, the GF1 is a great compliment to my other new camera and came to my rescue when I need it. You will know what I mean as my TR progress.

BTW, I experiment a lot of my shots this time so they will look some what unusual. I will explain more later.

On another note, I wish all my DIS friend a Merry Merry Christmas!!! :hug: Hope Santa is nice to all of you. Ho! Ho! Ho! I should have something to post either tonight or tomorrow morning.

I loved your last TR!! My kids and I are going to see if we can spot you during the Parade!

Merry Christmas and can't wait to read your new TR!

Hooray -- TD's and spouse journey begins! TD -- no sign of you at the parade, too bad. Happy holidays, and looking forward to following your report into the New Year.

(Kind of hoping that not too many people use the "quote" feature to comment on your photos, [unless they remember to delete the duplicate photos from their posts] -- slows down loading and scrolling time).

:yay:popcorn::popcorn:::yay:

It’s Thanksgiving day. My alarm clock goes off at 4:30am preciously. Annoy the heck out of me. The sky is still pitch black. (We have no street light where we live.) Temperature wasn’t bad. It’s was in the mid 50s. I pushed my DW off the bed so she can take her morning shower while I catch a few more minutes of snooze. My eyes were still tired from finish packing 4 hours ago. Yes, I am a procrastinate packer. It’s not as easy as I thought to pack 2 weeks worth of clothing. Nonetheless, it took me under an hour to have all my clothing packed and DW was packed days ago. Then again, if I didn’t know better I thought she was packed to go away permanently. I lost count on how many suitcases and bags she used.

After the suitcases were packed, I moved on to pack my camera gear and all the necessary electronic accessories. For this trip, I have purchase a new camera just for the occasion. The new camera literally arrived days before the trip. Then there are also the cameras from the last trip as well. Since I will be using the new camera, DW claimed she want to use my old camera. Let see how long that last. :rolleyes: Other than the cameras, I brought along a slew of prime lenses as well (that’s the kind of lens has no zooming capabilites), battery chargers, all kind of attachments, portable hard drive and a small mobile computer so I can copy over all the pictures every night. Pretty much, everything I brought from the last trip plus a few extra items.

Due to the new camera arrived so close from the departure date, I have very little time to learn how to use this new camera. Therefore, this trip became a learning experience for me. I also did a lot of experiment this time. I used to spend a lot of time to study how I want my shot look like before I hit the shutter. For this trip, most of the shot, I use a little imagination and let the camera take the shot for me. If you don’t know what I meant, all I did was aim the camera to the subject, some time high, some time low and some time to my eye level, then let the autofocus do the work for me. The result, I got a lot of unusual shot I normal wouldn’t even consider. Some were very good but some were very bad. Not to mention the learning curve for the new camera was hard. That’s okay. I want to try something new and work outside the box. Some of the guest saw the way how I took my pictures and they thought I was nuts because I wasn’t even looking behind the camera. LOL…

One more note, thanks to chunkymoney’s inspiration and her help, I was determine to take some self-portrait without any help. It took a lot of trial and error but I manage to get a few decent one.

DW didn’t take long to have herself all ready to go. Now I have no choice but drag my sorry behind out of bed and get myself ready as well. Once I took my shower and brush my teeth, I felt a little more awake. Yeah! Right!! Yawn!!! We made the bed and head downstair to begin load up the sleigh. We packed so much, I can hardly make room to see through the back window. :rotfl2:
P1010170.jpg
GF1
Other then all the suitcases and bags, we also brought all the Christmas presents for the family since our first stop will be my sister-in-law at North Carolina for a couple days. Then there are apple pies and pumpkin rolls in the cooler for Thanksgiving dinner as well. Because of what happened to my last trip with the camera bag, I double and triple checked everything this time. I think I would pass out if I forget my camera bag again. :faint:

Once the sleigh is packed…GPS is programmed…Ted has his LMGH…
P1010160.jpg
GF1
Ruldoph nose is lit up and the motor is running…
DIS_1895.jpg
D700
It’s time to get on the road. :banana::banana: Despite our best effort, we were able to leave around 6:30am. Since I am still only half awake, DW will have to drive first. Soon Ted decide to join Ruldoph to guide the sleigh for DW.
DIS_1898.jpg
D700
The road was so empty to a point, it was creepy. There was not a soul on the road as we drove pass Philadelphia area.
DIS_1896.jpg
D700
By the time we get to Maryland, it begins to rain but wasn’t bad. Going through Ft McHenry tunnel was a breeze.
P1010163.jpg
GF1

Once we got to Spotsylvania, Virgina, we stopped at WaWa, my favorite convenience store,
DIS_1899.jpg
D700
to refuel, bio break, get a coffee/breakfast sandwich and switched with DW so she can get some rest.

The rest of the trip was very uneventful. Since I was driving, therefore no picture for the rest of the driving time. We made it to North Carolina in record time. We arrived before 3pm. Then we just spend the rest of the day eating turkey and playing with our nieces.

I loved your last TR!! My kids and I are going to see if we can spot you during the Parade!

Merry Christmas and can't wait to read your new TR!
Merry Christmas!! So glad you can join us.
I watched the parade, but I didn't see you:(:sad2:

Can't wait for the next post popcorn::
I know. I didn't make the cut. It was so close though. Bummer!!
Hooray -- TD's and spouse journey begins! TD -- no sign of you at the parade, too bad. Happy holidays, and looking forward to following your report into the New Year.

(Kind of hoping that not too many people use the "quote" feature to comment on your photos, [unless they remember to delete the duplicate photos from their posts] -- slows down loading and scrolling time).

:yay:popcorn::popcorn:::yay:
Hello mecllap. I TiVo the parade and scan back and forth. Yet, I still can't find myself. Very disappointing. Oh well, maybe next time.

I wish you and your family have a great holiday too.

So happy to read another topdog trip report! I love your pictures!

Great start! I'm looking forward to the next installment. Love the pix of the stuffed friends with their WDW luggage tags on. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter