Our experience with the kids meal menu....

Status
Not open for further replies.
CathrynRose said:
And one more thing to keep in mind, regarding the DDP.

Many people, who are going now, or just getting back - already paid for their DDP included trip months ago. They (assumably) chose restaurants and the DDP based on their families likes and dislikes.

This menu was introduced *snap* over-night, and people whom already paid are now being forced to order something additional off the menu for their children, and pay out of pocket, if their child doesnt eat veggie-dip for dinner. Or cold chicken strips. Or Chicken Pizza on Pita bread.

As far as I'm concerned (and I have 15 & 11 y/o old adults, so this doesnt even apply to me) I see it as a bait and switch - quite honestly.

Disney is more than willing to allow changes to their reservations. Call and cancel the dining plan if the kids meals bother you that much. I am sure they would waive the charge for changing a ressie for such a situation, if you go high enough. I think i am the only person here who is actually happy that there are healthy choices for kids on the menu. Granted...my kids may not love it all...but they'd eat it rather than starve.

mackey_931 said:
Ahh, the "nature vs. nurture" argument....... yes some kids are naturally pickier than others and require more coaxing and patience. And even then they may not "like" a lot of things. However, that doesn't mean that these kids are born with a "chicken nugget gene" which keeps them from eating anything but. Don't tell me a kid will only eat chicken nuggets (or whatever), otherwise they'd starve themselves. The human race wouldn't have gotten very far if they did. The only reason we (particularly here in America) are even discussing this "problem" is because we as a nation are spoiled silly with so much food that we have the luxury of feeding our kids certain things. Send the Disney child’s menu over to kids in Darfur, I'll guarantee they'll eat everything. And I can’t imagine the early pioneers short order cooking for their kids, but they somehow survived.

I think you do have a valid point. We can be considered spoiled. Being a picky eater IS a luxury.

I personally had the luxury. I had parents who could afford to buy me food I like (which I'm happy to say did actually go beyond one or two food items). I also had the luxury of having patient parents who managed to find me things to eat. (ie. they'd bring jars of peanuts to family camp because they knew I'd reject most of the protein foods there).

On the same note, we all have the luxury of sitting on our butts, typing away on the computer, and debating Disney World menus.

Our lives are full of luxury. We're lucky. I'm not sure I'd call us spoiled. We're spoiled when we forget how lucky we are. And I guess part of the aim of your post was to remind us of this. We need these reminders.

Food is an insane issue in our country. It seems if we take a tiny wrong step in one direction, we're going to have super obese children. If we take a tiny wrong step in another direction, we might end up with anorexic children.

Most of us grew up with the "Clean your plate" syndrome. (although my parents were pretty patient, they did still push this "value")

Most of us work hard to give a different eating experience for our children. We try not to turn eating into a huge issue. We try not to force them to eat what they don't want to eat. We try not to say things like "Good job! You finished all your food!"

We're working our butts and our brains off to try and prevent both Anorexia and Obesity. Because according to the media, this is extremely likely to happen....if we don't watch out!

If we woke up and found ourselves in a starving country, I'm sure our values and concerns would greatly shift. Vegetarians would probably eat chicken (or the pet cat), Jews would probably eat pork, and picky little children would eagerly gobble down a chicken pita pizza.

As for picky-eating being a disorder or not. I don't know much about it. I do know there is something called "Sensory Intergration Disorder (sp?)" I wouldn't dare say something is not a disorder without knowing enough about it. It kind of seems vain to declare you doubt the existence of a disorder without doing some research. I do think some mental illnesses (in children and adults) are overdiagnosed. But I don't think that means they don't truly exist in some individuals.

Anyway.... In the scheme of things (looking at the BIG picture), whether or not Disney World gets rid of all chicken nuggets. What what we feed our children at home (pure health food diet, junk food diet, or somewhere in between), whether Olivia's allows us to take your dessert to go is all very trivial. We sit here debating trivial issues regarding Disney World. We HAVE that luxury.

In a way, we're making mountains out of molehills (aka sweating the small stuff). But, it's fun.

No child is going to drop dead of starvation at Disney World. But some of us see changes and we're not sure we like these changes. They might make our vacations a little less fun. A little less easy. A little more stressful. So we complain. We have the luxury to do so.

Other people like to defend Disney World. Or go through message boards and find parents who "need" advice and/or criticism. They have the luxury to do so.

We're all very lucky.

P.S-I understand for some families, eating is NOT a trivial issue. and for some families, it may not be making mountains out of molehills. My post is talking more about the average family and the typical picky-eater. Not picky-eating that is a result of some medical problem.

jenga1030 said:
I think the problem is that every single Disney restaurant (non-buffet) has the same choices......

So what if they offer an unhealthy choice or 2 (pizza, chicken tenders) at every restaurant? Just because they offered chicken tenders or pizza at every restaurant doesn't mean that people let their kids eat that every meal? One person may take their kids to Kona one night to eat healthy, but on my night there, my kids can have chicken tenders because they ordered the veggie dip thing at Olivia's the night before?

For the millionth time, there are three standard items, and two restaurant specific items, which can include things like hamburgers.

Do people not even read other people's posts?

I think some of the complaints are overblown BUT initially it looked like the extra two menu items weren't going to be restaurant specific. Early reports had many restaurants offering burger and mac cheese as the two kids pick options. A family staying 7-10 days has a right to expect more than 5 choices, particularly when the child may only like 2 of them. Variety doesn't require each restaurant offer additional menu items but does require restaurants have different menus.

Outback offers a steak and ribs on the kids menu. Many of the complaints would lose their validity if the two choices became restaurants specific and reflected the adult offerings of the restaurant. Some type of fish at Coral Reef and a steak at the Concourse Steak House.

Sammie said:
I think the problem is everyone wants Disney to specialize the kid's menu to fit the needs and wants of their child. That is impossible and I think that is the point mackey__931 is making.

Some want the fried junk food, some don't. Some want healthy choices but each child's idea of what they will eat and parent's version of what is healthy is different.

No restuarant offers a wide variety in kid's meals. If you were somewhere else on vacation and went out to eat every night and ordered from the kid's meals you would get very much the same choices. Disney is not going to be any different unless you do buffets.

For the cost of the kid's meal plan Disney is not going to offer alot of variety.

If you are not happy with the choices offered now, what did your child eat prior to the changes?

As to what happened at Olivia's it has already been proven that the outcome could have been different, which means that not everyone that is upset about the OP's experience is probably even going to experience it.

Many are upset and have not even been. If you go and your child literally can not find a single thing to eat while there, then you have a complaint. If they have to eat the same thing all week, it would not be any different if you were eating Kid's meals elsewhere. If you want variety you are going to have to supplement the meal. Buy one adult entree and share it with your kids.

I have to wonder though, does everyone fix different meals for themselves, and each child at home. :confused3 And I am not referring to anyone with allergies.

faindrops27 said:
This person said they just had these, and the chicken, is served COLD. :sad2:

This is the chicken meal offered at the Backlot Express, a counter service eatery.

It's not the chicken meal on the child's menu for the sit down restaurants, although they look similar. Their chicken may well be heated up. I've never had one of those meals. I'm 42, I'm not sure they'd let me order one...but the Backlot Express one is a great snack.

Sammie said:
I think the problem is everyone wants Disney to specialize the kid's menu to fit the needs and wants of their child. That is impossible and I think that is the point mackey__931 is making.

Some want the fried junk food, some don't. Some want healthy choices but each child's idea of what they will eat and parent's version of what is healthy is different.

And what is wrong with offering some of each? This really shouldn't be this complicated. Offer 2 "healthy" items, like on the "new" menu, offer 2 old standbys, like chicken fingers or hot dogs, and 2 dishes set to the theme of that restaurant (bbq, Italian, seafood, etc.) What's so hard about that? :confused3 And make the choices different for each restaurant.

Maybe Le Cellier has veggies and dip, chicken pita pizza, hot dog, hamburger, kid's sized steak and kids pasta dish. While Tony's has cold chicken strips, a healthy type sandwich, chicken fingers, grilled cheese, kid's spaghetti and kid's lasagna. I think that would make most people happy. They, as the child's parent, could choose healthy certain nights, junky certain nights and "themey" certain nights.

Sammie said:
No restuarant offers a wide variety in kid's meals. If you were somewhere else on vacation and went out to eat every night and ordered from the kid's meals you would get very much the same choices. Disney is not going to be any different unless you do buffets.

Yeah, but we are talking about lots of different restaurants here, not just one. With all of the restaurants at the entire Disney Resort, the fact that Disney is supposed to be for children, (adults too :blush: ) and the prices they are charging for food, there should be more than 5 or 6 TOTAL choices anywhere.

Sammie said:
For the cost of the kid's meal plan Disney is not going to offer alot of variety.

Yeah, but it's not only the DDP plan here, people paying OOP have the same kids choices. At a regular, non-Disney resaturant, you could order your kid a hamburger or whatever off the adult menu, but who wants to (or can, in some cases) order an 8 year old a $23 entree?

And even with the kid's DDP being "cheap" I think kids are still entitled to a variety of choices during their vacation and parents shouldn't have to worry about a struggle at dinner time or a grumpy, hungry kid.

Sammie said:
If you are not happy with the choices offered now, what did your child eat prior to the changes?

My kids ate lots of things, chicken fingers some days, hamburgers some days, sandwiches, pizza, steak, some days they had fries, some they had applesauce. But they had choices and they were different at each place.

Sammie said:
I have to wonder though, does everyone fix different meals for themselves, and each child at home. :confused3 And I am not referring to anyone with allergies.

:confused3 Nope, not me, but I also fix a variety of meals throughout the months and not the same 5 every night. And I've never served chicken pita pizza or veggies and dip as dinner.

Again, no one is saying to cater to their individual child necessarily, they just want choices at each restaurant. And by saying this are you implying that these people kids won't eat what the parents would eat? Because I think alot of people have suggested child sized portions of adult entrees. The fact that the kids menu is so different from the adult menu is the problem, not the other way around. :confused3

If we go out to an Italian restaurant, the kids should have some Italian food as choices, the same with Seafood, etc. And if Disney wants me to buy the dining plan (that's why they sell it) and makes me by it for every member of my party and makes my children order off the children's menu, I should not have to waste their credits and pay OOP for adult entrees so they have some variety each day. And if I am not on the DDP, my kids shouldn't have to order $20 meals that they won' t finish.

All this being said, I think we will see changes to this menu as time goes on and it will end up ok. I wish for the poor people that had made their ADR's months ago that Disney would have worked out the bugs of this in some other way, maybe rolling out the menu slower and seeing what the kids like. But it will get tweaked as time goes on. It sounds like they are listening to people.

orljustin said:
For the millionth time, there are three standard items, and two restaurant specific items, which can include things like hamburgers.

Ummm, why are you being rude to me? :confused3 I''ve read just about all of the posts here and lots of other threads about this. I've also looked over the kids menus that are listed on allears.net. First of all, the "three standard items" are the same "three standard items" at EVERY restaurant with this new menu. Second of all, What is restaurant specific about a hamburger? Maybe things will change or already are, but it sounded like the "restaurant specific" things would also be the same 2 or 3 things, just more kid friendly. This amounts to almost the same exact menu at a bunch of different restaurants.

And what is wrong with including true "restaurant specific" items like fish at a seafood restaurant or steak at a steak restaurant or pasta dishes at an Italian restaurant? I think it's a great idea to have healthy options, kids favorite options and themed options at each restaurant, like this new menu is doing (except for the themed choices at some restaurants) but the big problem I have is it seems like the choices are pretty much the same at every restaurant, pita pizza, just dip it, chicken fingers, mac and cheese or hamburger. That would get old after a week or two.

There was no reason to get rude and accuse me of "not reading others posts" especially when it sounds like you didn't fully read mine as I stated my point very clearly in my post. My definition of "variety" would not be three standard choices to start out every single menu, plus 2 or 3 other choices. I am talking about variety from restaurant to restaurant.

Lewisc said:
I think some of the complaints are overblown BUT initially it looked like the extra two menu items weren't going to be restaurant specific. Early reports had many restaurants offering burger and mac cheese as the two kids pick options. A family staying 7-10 days has a right to expect more than 5 choices, particularly when the child may only like 2 of them. Variety doesn't require each restaurant offer additional menu items but does require restaurants have different menus.

Outback offers a steak and ribs on the kids menu. Many of the complaints would lose their validity if the two choices became restaurants specific and reflected the adult offerings of the restaurant. Some type of fish at Coral Reef and a steak at the Concourse Steak House.

Thank you Lewisc, this is exactly what I was trying to say! :)

Sammie said:

We do. I'm vegetarian. My son does not like vegetables (although he does show courage by trying them every so often). I love vegetables and it is the main ingredient of my dinner.

I play short order cook. I honestly don't mind.

I'd probably mind if I had a big family that I had to cook for.

I make something simple for myself. And something simple for my son. (usually vegetarian sans veggies because cooking meat is not something I want to do...so it's peanut butter and jelly, Morningstar/Boca stuff, frozen meals, pasta, etc) My husband cooks his own meal (often meat), and since he and ds have similar eating habits, they'll often share a meal.

It works well for us.

Sammie said:

When we found out my DD had food allergies I changed the way we cooked and ate at home, radically. I wasn't cooking 2 meals, so everyone went egg or dairy free (including those who came over for the most part.) There was no eggs or milk in the house with the one exception of my older DD's milk boxes (no cross contamination.) So when we went out to eat it was the only time my older DD and DH got any milk or eggs. (I had to be milk and egg free to because she was breast feed.)

After her allergy wasn't so bad we started adding things where those who wanted it could add cheese or sour cream themselves later. (tacos, pizza, etc..)

So yes, when we go out the fact that everyone can get what they want and not have to eat the same thing is part of the appeal and part of the fun (also the case in my family when we were children.)

WDW is a vacation place. It should be a place where the sit down meals have good selections and something everyone enjoys. Dinning at WDW has became part of the magic and experience, so offering 2nd class meals for kids isn't fair. The themes of the restaurant should be reflected in the choices too. In addition there is number of restaurants close together and where it is assumed the same people will be eating at should offer different things, not the same menu with 2 changes at each place. Why is that so hard to understand? :confused3

WOW! I don't know what to think . . .
We leave Friday and have added the DP. My kids are actually pretty adventurous eaters - they will try everything and are allowed to pass if they don't like it. I read rumors of this generic kids menu weeks ago and called to ask what the truth was. The CM was apparently clueless. She assured me - even double checked with someone else - that there was no such thing. That each restaurant had it's own, individual, kids menu (themed as appropriate - Italian had Italian choices etc.). I WAS very happy, very relieved to hear that and added the DP at that time.

This thread is very disheartening . . . I was really looking forward to my kids trying a kid-sized Moraccan meal or having a mini Mexican combo plate (just examples - you get my drift). Sure, we can work with the generic menu, but HOW DISSAPPOINTING. First off, I just used two words that just shouldn't be used when talking Disney - "WORK" and "GENERIC MENU" (OK, 3 words). This is vacation, a Disney vacation. It should be fun, and the adventures shouldn't stop at the kids menu.

We are using our TS credits at Restaurant Marrakesh, 50s Prime Time Cafe, and Ohana's - any news on kid selections? How about Le Cellier? The balance will be buffets (Chef Mickeys & Boma) so those are OK - I think???

Please tell me that snack credits are still accepted at the food & wine fest? Other places for items up to $4???

Please . . . . .

Sammie said:

Pretty much. I do think there need to be more variety, but the compliants that there always needs to be chicken nuggets and/or grilled cheese because their kids won't eat anything else just irks me. If that (or anything else) is all your kid will eat, you have to live with a limited number of places to eat.

jenga1030 said:
And what is wrong with offering some of each? This really shouldn't be this complicated. Offer 2 "healthy" items, like on the "new" menu, offer 2 old standbys, like chicken fingers or hot dogs, and 2 dishes set to the theme of that restaurant (bbq, Italian, seafood, etc.) What's so hard about that? :confused3 And make the choices different for each restaurant.

Maybe Le Cellier has veggies and dip, chicken pita pizza, hot dog, hamburger, kid's sized steak and kids pasta dish. While Tony's has cold chicken strips, a healthy type sandwich, chicken fingers, grilled cheese, kid's spaghetti and kid's lasagna. I think that would make most people happy. They, as the child's parent, could choose healthy certain nights, junky certain nights and "themey" certain nights.

Whole-heartedly agree, and other than a few dishes set to the theme of that restaurant (which they SHOULD add to the kids menus) this is what is already offered. They already offer "old standbys" such as mac & cheese, hamburger, hot dog, spaghetti , etc., two of which are apparently randomly offered in different restaurants. Someone else has posted that they HAVE seen chicken nuggets, PB&J, and grilled cheese offered as these "kids picks" as well in some places. My problem is that so many of the people here are getting worked up because THEIR kids favorite (and often ONLY) food (usually chicken nuggets or grilled cheese) aren't ubiquitously available anymore. I say good. THAT'S not variety either. If your kids will only eat one or two things, that's not the restaurants problem (exceptions for medical noted).

jenga1030 said:
There was no reason to get rude and accuse me of "not reading others posts" especially when it sounds like you didn't fully read mine as I stated my point very clearly in my post. My definition of "variety" would not be three standard choices to start out every single menu, plus 2 or 3 other choices. I am talking about variety from restaurant to restaurant.

You sure did. Let's take another look:

I think the problem is that every single Disney restaurant (non-buffet) has the same choices......

So what if they offer an unhealthy choice or 2 (pizza, chicken tenders) at every restaurant? Just because they offered chicken tenders or pizza at every restaurant doesn't mean that people let their kids eat that every meal? One person may take their kids to Kona one night to eat healthy, but on my night there, my kids can have chicken tenders because they ordered the veggie dip thing at Olivia's the night before?

So, #1, every single restaurant does NOT have the same choices.

#2, they DO offer two other entrees on each menu.

Which tells me you (and others) have not read the dozens of posts that state this.

Lila95 said:
The texture issue is a very real thing. I am a neonatal nurse and many premature babies have issues with texture when they are learning to eat. Most of them rely on feeding tubes until they are able to take food orally. Many hospitals actually have therapists who have to help teach a child to deal with textures so that they can eat. Parents often have to bring their children to clinics for months to overcome this. I know this doesn't only apply to those born prematurely but to many children with different conditions.

How do they diagnose eating problems in a baby as a texture issue? Not being arguementative here, I am genuinly curious, but since the babies are only drinking milk, how is this diagnosed (and treated for that matter?)

I guess I have this same question about this in older kids too, what exactly qualifies a texture issue as a medical syndrome? The reason I'm skeptical is that so many things are considered "syndromes" or "disorders" these days.

Maybe there is a chicken nugget syndrome that is at the root of this menu arguement? ;)

orljustin said:

Just to make it clear..... the kid's menu we received at both Olivia's and Kona Cafe were IDENTICAL. There were no differences at all! Not to the basic menu or to the options. To me that says repetition. THAT is not acceptable as far as I am concerned. A company as large as Disney can afford to mix things up a little. We, the customer, are paying for it, so it can't be an issue of them making more $$. Besides whatever happened to the business model that the customer is always right?

The big difference was that Olivia's was not willing to work with us. For them it was take it or leave it. No options.

Kona Cafe was helpful and with a chat with head chef, a meeting of the minds was possible and the result was happy kids.

Why can't that be the norm?

Tonight was Boma, and it was a wonderful dinner. Lots of options for the kids (chicken fingers, pasta, meatballs, etc) as well as all of the other foods on the buffet available.

Just another day in the continuing saga... thanks for listening!

---Paul in Southern NJ (except this week! :banana: )

Sammie said:

Huh? What does that question have to do with Disney, coming up with a varied menu for children?

Bravely jumping in with my complaint here. I think I have read the other posts carefully. I purchased the dining plan for our coming Dec. trip 10 months ago. Like many people, I researched restaurant menus in an attempt to make as many members of my family as happy as possible. I woke up early exactly 180 days before my trip to book my meals. I understand that "menus are subject to change." However, I think that in good faith, this refers to modest changes, not major changes. If I booked my trip today, I would not make the same ADRs -- this is the problem I have. I have tried to change some of my ADRs, but I have not had any luck. Maybe my children will like the new meals. I hope so. But if they don't, I'll have to pay OOP. I did not budget for this when I planned my trip.

Thanks for all of your updates, psimon. I agree with your concerns about a repetitive menu being served. I'm all about healthy choices and I'm sure some days my DS would love to have the yogurt dippers or chicken strips, but this seems so limited.

We are definitely reconsidering some of our dining plans to make sure that we get some variety with buffets and restaurants that don't appear to have the new kids menu yet. We're not on the dining plan, just looking for good choices.

Glad you had a great meal at Boma - it's one of our faves, too.

orljustin said:
You sure did. Let's take another look:

So, #1, every single restaurant does NOT have the same choices.

#2, they DO offer two other entrees on each menu.

Which tells me you (and others) have not read the dozens of posts that state this.

Have you read the dozens of posts of people who have been given the exact same menus at different restaurants? :confused3

Why are you being so rude? :sad2: Just because we are not agreeing or seeing each other's points does not mean that you're right and I'm wrong or you're paying attention and I'm not. :rolleyes:

I HAVE read the dozens of posts and I HAVE looked at the menus on allears and it seems to me that there are 3 standard chioces (just like you stated earlier) at every restaurant. This has been reported from people who have eaten at the MGM restaurants, Olivia's, Boatright's and Kona, among others. It sounds to me like the 3 standard choices are identical at each of these restaurants.(Just dip it, chicken fingers, pita pizza) That is not variety. If the restaurants want to have 3 healthier choices, fine, but why can't they mix it up a little and have 3 different healthier options at the different restaurants, plus 2 old standbys plus 2 restaurant themed dishes?

I know that they have 2 ala carte dishes on this new menu, but from what I've heard and read, even they don't vary much, usually mac and cheese and something else. Mac and cheese is fine, chicken pita pizza is fine, cold chicken is fine, deep fried chicken fingers are fine. But why can't the choices be different at each restaurant? So instead of having 6 or 7 different choices between 50 different restaurants, the kids have plenty to choose from during their vacation.

psimon said:
Just to make it clear..... the kid's menu we received at both Olivia's and Kona Cafe were IDENTICAL. There were no differences at all! Not to the basic menu or to the options. To me that says repetition. THAT is not acceptable as far as I am concerned.

---Paul in Southern NJ (except this week! :banana: )

orljustin, this is what I'm talking about. I have read several posts like these from different people who have been to Disney lately. Changing the menus to offer helathier food is definitely a good thing, but there needs to be variety from restaurant to restaurant as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter