Our experience with the kids meal menu....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lewisc said:
Dining plan guests are limited to the kids menu. Cash guests, or dining plan guests willing to pay cash, have the option of ordering some items from the adult menu. Maybe an adult appetizer as a kids entrée.

We are doing the dining plan and I wouldn't care about paying extra to get foods my kids would eat off the adult menu but my kids don't eat "adult" foods. Most of the apps and adult meals have sauces and spices my kids won't touch.

If I end up buying them an adult chicken tenders at CS then they are getting way more food than they should be eating. There should be some compromise solution that lets kids eat kid foods that are healthier but also tasty and gives them choices.

Yvonne

akalittleeva said:
My dd8 is anything but a picky eater - she eats just about everything and even though she would consider ordering a couple things off this menu, she will see it 5 times on our trip and that is too much - she likes variety and just because she's a child doesn't mean she shouldn't be entitled to it, especially when she's on vacation and especially if everyone else in our party will have variety. If I go out to eat at home, I don't go to the same restaurant over and over, I go to different places to get different choices. I don't think this menu is appropriate for a lot of kids her age - I don't think it will be enough food and she is kind of past the stage of finger foods for her meals, which I feel the 3 combo items are. She is not crazy about junk food - it's not that I feel she'll be missing out on the treats and junk - I think she will be missing out on the opportunity to have good dining experiences and choices, but of course, I won't let that happen, I won't let this ruin our vacation, but Disney has definitely disappointed me on this one.

I do agree with you, there is not enough variety for kids to choose from, and they should offer additional meals. I also agree that the menu is not fully appropriate for older kids.

My point is that anybody who says their kids won't eat ANYTHING from the 5 current items has bigger problems than the menu, likely spoiled picky kids who are given whatever they want to eat at home. If a kid won't eat mac & cheese, a hamburger, a pita pizza (c'mon it's still pizza!), or grilled chicken (it is NOT served chilled), what will the kids eat?

I repeat, there SHOULD be more options available (particularly a few child size portions of applicable adult meals), nobody wants to eat the same few things all week, and some older kids need a more substantial and interesting meal available. But I don't think this "variety" should come from adding chicken nuggets and grilled cheese. And for those who would argue, "why can't they have all these things?", how many kids menu items do they expect, 10? 12? 15? A typical adult menu itself usually only has 5-10 entrees. I think a few healthy choices (the ones they have now), a few junk food choices (like the ones they have now), and a few child-size adult meals (that should be added per restaurant) would be plenty.

I suspect most of the people complaining about the kids menu here wouldn't be complaining if chicken nuggets or grilled cheese were offered and would let their kids eat them every night. These are the complaints that bug me, as they aren't complaints about variety, but of not having the particular item that they have trained their kid to eat. Thank god mac & cheese is offered, otherwise the parents of mac & cheese-only kids would be in a furor too. Although we still get some pizza-only kids complaints since its not the right KIND of pizza.

The rest of the people complaining about the menu (e.g., those who liked having different restaurant specific kids meals) have a legitimate gripe about the amount and variety of food offered.

mackey_931 said:
I do agree with you, there is not enough variety for kids to choose from, and they should offer additional meals. I also agree that the menu is not fully appropriate for older kids.

My point is that anybody who says their kids won't eat ANYTHING from the 5 current items has bigger problems than the menu, likely spoiled picky kids who are given whatever they want to eat at home. If a kid won't eat mac & cheese, a hamburger, a pita pizza (c'mon it's still pizza!), or grilled chicken (it is NOT served chilled), what will the kids eat?

I repeat, there SHOULD be more options available (particularly a few child size portions of applicable adult meals), nobody wants to eat the same few things all week, and some older kids need a more substantial and interesting meal available. But I don't think this "variety" should come from adding chicken nuggets and grilled cheese. And for those who would argue, "why can't they have all these things?", how many kids menu items do they expect, 10? 12? 15? A typical adult menu itself usually only has 5-10 entrees. I think a few healthy choices (the ones they have now), a few junk food choices (like the ones they have now), and a few child-size adult meals (that should be added per restaurant) would be plenty.

I suspect most of the people complaining about the kids menu here wouldn't be complaining if chicken nuggets or grilled cheese were offered and would let their kids eat them every night. These are the complaints that bug me, as they aren't complaints about variety, but of not having the particular item that they have trained their kid to eat. Thank god mac & cheese is offered, otherwise the parents of mac & cheese-only kids would be in a furor too. Although we still get some pizza-only kids complaints since its not the right KIND of pizza.

The rest of the people complaining about the menu (e.g., those who liked having different restaurant specific kids meals) have a legitimate gripe about the amount and variety of food offered.

If you can climb down off your high and mighty horse, you might want to consider that fact that many autistic and other special needs kids have extremely limited diets.

Just because YOU have kids that eat other things, doesn't mean it's anything special you did. YOU got lucky.

My DS eats chicken tenders almost every day. They are baked, not fried, and they have zero transfats, and their overall fat content is within reason.

I worked hard to get him up from the 5 percent percentile of weight (while he as at 90 percent for height) and I won't be dissuaded by those who are ignorant on the subject.

There are a lot of self righteous parents on this board. I know, it's ALL my fault that my DD8 likes junk food! I don't try hard enough to get her to eat better. Blah blah blah!

Fine, I'll condescend and agree with you. We argue about eating what I cook for dinner almost every night! It's SO aggravating and I'll admit, many times I just give in and don't make her eat it just to have some peace. BUT, I don't want to deal with that on vacation!

We are not on the dining plan so I could easily order her something from the adult menu, but she barely eats anything and I don't think I should have to pay $20-$30 for an adult entree that she will eat maybe a fourth of.

I just wish parents wouldn't judge each other so much on here. It's hard enough raising kids without people saying your bad parents if your kids don't eat healthy all the time. My DD gets all A's and is healthy and not a bit overweight. Also, she watches LOTS of TV!! God forbid!! I've scarred her for life!!!!! I should be tarred and feathered. :rotfl2:

hezreck said:
There are a lot of self righteous parents on this board. I know, it's ALL my fault that my DD8 likes junk food! I don't try hard enough to get her to eat better. Blah blah blah!

Fine, I'll condescend and agree with you. We argue about eating what I cook for dinner almost every night! It's SO aggravating and I'll admit, many times I just give in and don't make her eat it just to have some peace. BUT, I don't want to deal with that on vacation!

We are not on the dining plan so I could easily order her something from the adult menu, but she barely eats anything and I don't think I should have to pay $20-$30 for an adult entree that she will eat maybe a fourth of.

I just wish parents wouldn't judge each other so much on here. It's hard enough raising kids without people saying your bad parents if your kids don't eat healthy all the time. My DD gets all A's and is healthy and not a bit overweight. Also, she watches LOTS of TV!! God forbid!! I've scarred her for life!!!!! I should be tarred and feathered. :rotfl2:
That is just how I feel. Sound like my son, he eat chicken strips about every night and I bake them not fry them. We have had so many fights at the dinner table that sometimes it is just easier to give in. He is healthy and not overweight at all. I wish that I had a kid that eats everything. My friends son will eat just about anything you put in front of him but my boys will not!

psimon said:
As the starter of this thread, I thought I would add our latest experience.

A few minutes went by and a very friendly gentleman came out and asked if we could help. We explained our dissatisfaction with the options and asked if there was any other choices. He responded with "would your kids like chicken fingers and fries?" We jumped at it and said

The bottom line..... there are some workarounds provided the staff wants to work with you. Obviously at the KK, the staff knows how to please kids (and their parents, too!).

---Paul in Southern NJ (except for this week! :banana: )

Glad to hear you had a good experience at Kona :) That's always been one of our favorite WDW restaurants.

Kids, just like adults, have their own tastes and you can try to influence them to some extent, but in the end they like what they like. DD10 will eat just about anything...she loves all veggies, especially spinach, pasta, meat, you name it. DS7 was raised the same way and exposed to the same foods, but meal time with him can bring you to tears. He only likes one or two vegetables, very few meats, and nothing with spices or most sauces. He would live off of mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, and hot dogs if he had his choice. I don't think anyone can assume a child who is a picky eater is the result of a parent not feeding them right at home. You can't force them to like something they don't like.

hezreck said:

Oh my gosh, I could have written your post! This is my DS 7 to a "T"!! Dinner time here is the worst time of my day. The constant battle over what he will and will not eat just drives me insane. It's not that he won't eat chicken, beef, etc., but that it has to be prepared "just right". No sauces, no spices, no green veggies, no casseroles, nothing touching...blah blah blah. I have a DS 11 who will eat ANYTHING and always has....I raised them the same. I honestly do not blame myself at all for my youngests picky eating habits. I think it's partly his personality and partly his own particular (or should I say perculiar?) tastes. Even as a baby, he refused baby food and only wanted his bottle. I had to force feed him as he got older....food has been an ongoing battle with him since he was old enough for solids!!

I have these battles at home....when I'm on vacation, I want a vacation from EVERYTHING!

Lila95 said:
Kids, just like adults, have their own tastes and you can try to influence them to some extent, but in the end they like what they like. DD10 will eat just about anything...she loves all veggies, especially spinach, pasta, meat, you name it. DS7 was raised the same way and exposed to the same foods, but meal time with him can bring you to tears. He only likes one or two vegetables, very few meats, and nothing with spices or most sauces. He would live off of mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, and hot dogs if he had his choice. I don't think anyone can assume a child who is a picky eater is the result of a parent not feeding them right at home. You can't force them to like something they don't like.
Another post I could have written myself! Your DS7 sounds like my DS7!! I'm glad I'm not the only one...but I'm sorry others have the meal-time blues like me~

kaytieeldr said:
Even if it's the exact same five items throughout the entire property, that's still five choices; plus the a la carte section allows the diner to choose one of two apps, one of two entrees and one of two desserts - for a total of six different combinations in addition to the three 'set' meals.

Boy - I sure hope that I get more than six meals to choose from when we return to Walt Disney World next year!!! (*Said tonge-in-cheek*)

OK, well we just got back, and honestly, we had no problems. My kids eat as much "junk food" as the next kids, we aren't ultra healthy people. Every place has Pizza- cheese or chicken, veggie dippers, chicken fingers (just not covered in batter and fried) then the options of Chicken Noodle Soup, one other appetizer, Mac and Cheese or a hamburger (this tended to change by the restaurant) and dessert. If you ask, you can usually get grilled cheese or PB&J. Really I don't see what the big issue is. MOST children will eat this stuff. If your child is so picky they don't like any of it, well then you'll have to adjust. There are exceptions to every rule, but Disney has to work towards pleasing as many people as they can. My goddaughter is one of the pickiest eaters I have ever seen, often sends things back to the kitchen, and she at 14 preffered the choices on the kids menu. Just figured I'd chime in since most of these tend to be people complaining about the new menu. :blush:

Oh and let me add, at Nine Dragons we were offered a "childs portion" of the sesame chicken my DS7 wanted, so options are there.

hezreck said:

I think sometimes we give too much credit to ourselves as parents. We don't realize that sometimes it's just luck. Or the child's personality. Then we look down at other parents when their children have problems that our children don't.

My son was a little angel when he was a toddler. In comparison, my sister's kids and my friend's kids were so hard to handle. I, of course, thought this was because I had read so many parenting books and was an expert on discipline.

Then one day, my little angel became defiant. It ended up he just went through his terrible twos a little late.

As for nutrition, some kids love anything you put on their plate. Others are picky. I was a picky child. My parents were very patient with me. I'm still picky, but I now eat many things I refused to eat as a child. No one forced me to eat them. I just finally realized, on my own, that trying these things might not be so bad.

If you have a kid that eats ANYTHING, I'm sure it is easy to limit and control their diet. If you have a very picky child who eats only graham crackers, chocolate bars, and chicken nuggets....getting him to eat a health-food diet is much more difficult.

Parents who haven't been in that situation would probably say "Just refuse to feed him until he eats what he should!" But it is not that simple.

Now if there is a parent here who DOES have an extremely picky eater and they somehow got their VERY picky eater to eat a large variety of healthy foods, I'd love to read about their tricks. Well, as long as they weren't cruel or extremely manipulative.

But parents here have children who are NOT picky. Please don't pat yourself on the back and say it's because of something you did as a parent. You probably just got lucky. And if you have 7 kids who are not picky eaters....you probably got lucky 7 times.

TDC Nala said:
I just had these. They are not fried nuggets, they're cold grilled chicken. Great snack for adults but I wouldn't want to eat them for dinner. And the person filling the order couldn't figure out that I wanted grapes and not applesauce, so it sat around for so long that my chicken got warm. :confused3

This person said they just had these, and the chicken, is served COLD. :sad2:

psimon said:
As to ordering an appetizer.... not an option. My teenager ordered that... ceasar salad and onion rings. That was fine for her. She was happy. But there was nothing on the appetizer menu the little ones would have eaten.

All I can say is the night before, we were at Margaritaville at Citywalk. The kids got spag and meatballs. They didn't eat the meatballs, but thta was ok. They got pasta WITH sauce. ITs what kids eat!

As to getting the pizza without the chicken.... we were told it wasn't an option. You take the pizza, you get the chicken! Yea, I know, we could have taken the chicken off.... but seriously, why should I have to?

Last night was Pizza Planet.... everyone was happy!

Tonight is Kona Kafe... we'll see if it gets better.

---Paul in Southern NJ (except for this week :banana: )

Paul we'll be at OKW next week. We've always enjoyed eating at Olivia's--I think dd1 always ordered chicken nuggets. She's trying to get more flexible in her eating, but we may skip Olivia's. We eat mostly counter service in the parks, so that should still work out okay.

Just wanted to let you know we have a picky eater too, so I know exactly what you're going through.

thirtycats said:
If you have a very picky child who eats only graham crackers, chocolate bars, and chicken nuggets....getting him to eat a health-food diet is much more difficult.

You also shouldn't expect every WDW restaurant to carry a menu of crackers, chocolate and chicken nuggets, and should plan appropriately.

orljustin said:
You also shouldn't expect every WDW restaurant to carry a menu of crackers, chocolate and chicken nuggets, and should plan appropriately.

That poster, I do not think was inferring, that she expected every restaurant at Disney to offer those things. She was making a point. :p

jodifla said:
If you can climb down off your high and mighty horse, you might want to consider that fact that many autistic and other special needs kids have extremely limited diets.

The problem with the statement about special needs is that I'm sorry but you just cant expect restaurants to carry everything for every possible diet limitation. Yet if you ask at disney with any kind of special needs request they will usually bend over backwards for you. People with special needs are well taken care of. When a vegetarian enters a Disney restaurant and asks for special even when there arent vegetarian meals listed they are usually accommidated. When a family with dairy issues enters a restaurant they are usually accomodated. And especially for the complaints about specifically the dining plan well that is a choice for a special you get what it gives you and deal with it. The restaurants cant always bend over backwards for everyone. The dining plans cant be all inclusive. In most respects DDP is a great deal but if it was going to be a great deal for everyone it wouldnt be offered. I know my kids are picky...very picky. I do not expect the restaurants to jump through hoops for them. I occasionally ask for something special. Mostly we look at the menu maybe ask if whatever can be got without sauce or whatever and make the best of what is available. When my diet had to be limited due to my dd's milk intollerance and later when she couldnt eat it herself. We didnt go into restaurants make and expect to be treated special. We mad the best of what was available or didnt go. We definitely didnt go to some places because of it. When we went to disney when the kids were 2 and 4 both had dietary issues and we did as minimal restaurant as possible. It is great that Disney will work with people when they can but we really shouldnt expect our personal likes and dislikes to determine what she be offered to everyone. This does seem to be a big negative response so write disney and let them know, dont get ddp if you can get that changed. Go to the Mcdonalds and go off site to the local chain restaurants. Even if you dont have a car I'm sure the price difference that eating off site would save you will pay a cab fare. Eat buffets etc there are enough of them to eat a different one every night or eat the same one a few times and eat different things each time. As far as kid portions of the adult meals If you read through people are saying places like 50's prime time will let you. And again as I said before not many places allowed that before - there where constant constant constant gripes on the board about the kids not being able to get the same foods as the adults and the kids choices being too high fat and too much junk. If we want to pay $25 a day for the kids dining, or $10-$15 for kids meals comparable to the adult $38 a day or $25 entrees then we could probably see the restaurants offering more choices that could include more expensive chicken strips that are healthier (I remember all the complaints about previously on the kid menus being gross chicken nuggets) and smaller portions of adult foods. It just isn't in most cases feasible to say and adult steak entree is $25 but we'll cut in in half for a kid and only charge $4.99 and give you a drink along with it. I can just see where all the griping will go if they up the kid prices so that they can include adult fare on the menu beside a valid $4.99 meal. We will never all be happy. Hit disney where it hurts if you want them to change it.

faindrops27 said:
This person said they just had these, and the chicken, is served COLD. :sad2:

They were talking about MGM Backlot expres- and they have been cold since at least our trip in 2/06.

Sorry that I just don't see that much of a problem.

Lets see:

Pizza- with chix although there is the option w/o
Dip It- which yes, my kids would eat the veggies but not the chicken salad
Baked chicken w/ BBQ sauce to dip (we could sub ketchup)
Hamburger (in some)
Mac-N-Cheese (in some)
Spagetti (in some)
Salad
Chicken Noodle Soup

So whats missing are chicken fingers, fried w/ FF. That's really all I can see- get them those for CS and have something different for TS. :confused3

I just really don't see the huge problem.

faindrops27 said:
Lewis my 13 year old, never wanted to eat off the kids menu, after he magically became an "adult". Lewis, my kids eat dippers, fruit, and veggies, as a snack, not for dinner. Pizza, they have that rarely, never with chicken on a pita, will be different for them. My point is this Lewis, where are my youngest kids choices? My kids should eat, veggie dippers, for lunch and dinner. Oh, and sugarfree jello. Does disney really feel that sugar free jello is "healthy".Come on? What is the other choice, cold chicken??No, maybe, I am just different, but. I never feed, my children such things as cold chicken with bbq sauce. Maybe millions of people do. But, they never had that either. As, I said. I am a chef. So, they eat well. So no to be honest, this menu is not appealing to me, at all.

There ARE at least 2 other entree choices on EVERY menu that vary slightly from restaurant to restaurant. They include regular kid food choices (chicken nuggets, burgers, mac and cheese, spag and meatballs) with regular desserts (fruit cup & ice cream) and a choice of a small appetizer (chicken soup or salad with ranch dressing). Seriously, unless your child has some serious dietary issues (which WDW is more than happy to work with), then you should be able to feed your child each day and still come out ahead on DDP. Keep in mind all of the family style places, the buffets, signature restaurants (which have expanded children's menus for the most part), counter service places, and $4 snack options. You are only paying $11 to feed your child on the dining plan. If you are SERIOUSLY in doubt that you can add up $11 worth of Disney food a day that your child will eat, then you need to expand your child's diet.

BuffaloGal said:
There ARE at least 2 other entree choices on EVERY menu that vary slightly from restaurant to restaurant. They include regular kid food choices (chicken nuggets, burgers, mac and cheese, spag and meatballs) with regular desserts (fruit cup & ice cream) and a choice of a small appetizer (chicken soup or salad with ranch dressing). Seriously, unless your child has some serious dietary issues (which WDW is more than happy to work with), then you should be able to feed your child each day and still come out ahead on DDP. Keep in mind all of the family style places, the buffets, signature restaurants (which have expanded children's menus for the most part), counter service places, and $4 snack options. You are only paying $11 to feed your child on the dining plan. If you are SERIOUSLY in doubt that you can add up $11 worth of Disney food a day that your child will eat, then you need to expand your child's diet.

Unfortunately, this was not the experience of the OP, who was given three choices and that was it. And a surly server to boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter