Our experience with aft (way aft) stateroom 9674 on the Fantasy

DVC Jen

Wigs out even the biggest circus freaks.
We got off the Fantasy on June 23rd. We had room 9674 - as far aft as you can get - extended veranda.

The location was so nice. A very short walk to the elevators, and so quiet. The only time we ever heard anyone else was when we were on our veranda and our neighbors children were on theirs. They weren't badly behaved - just not using inside voices. LOL They were fine - didn't bother us at all.

We did notice some ash/soot each morning. It had almost a sandy feel to it. Our stateroom host had it gone very quickly each day. We just made mental note to wear shoes out there in the morning. Otherwise it was fine.

Vibration issues - Our first night out of Port Canaveral was the worst and it wasn't even all that bad. We did feel the vibration and for a while I wondered if I was going to be able to get to sleep. Either it got better around 1am or the busy day finally got to me and I fell asleep. This was the ONLY night I was even slightly bothered by it. We did feel vibration coming into ports and to a lesser extent while leaving port. Again it never bothered us. It was more of a - oh we are vibrating a bit must be coming into or leaving port - kind of thing. We didn't even have issues with the hangers banging together on our last night like we have had on each of our other 3 cruises when we stayed midship.

The one and only downside to having that room - I kind of missed the view from the starboard side that I had become used to. The view from the back was not lesser of a view - just different. I may stay starboard again and realize I did like the aft view better. I do have to say seeing the wake and churned up water was beautiful. Having the 2 regular chairs and 2 lounge chairs was so nice. Quite a few nights we went out there and laid back gazing up at the stars. I almost fell asleep once or twice.

Oh - one more thing that completely caught me off guard. We were bitten by ANTS on the veranda at night. I knew I was getting bitten by something out there but it wasn't until daylight that we actually saw the ants. Never expected that. In hindsight I should have reported it to see if anything could be done - but at the time I didn't think about it.

So if you have a VERY aft room booked and are worried about the vibration - don't be. In our opinion it wasn't that bad. We did have pretty calm seas so maybe it would have been worse if the seas were not so calm. Would I book it again - in a heartbeat!

Would never think of ants on a cruise ship! I'll have to keep that in mind if we notice any bites.
Glad the vibrations didn't bother you. We are on Deck 8 coming up, did you have any motion sickness ?

I booked a gty for my nov 3rd cruise and that room was assigned to us on that upcoming cruise. I normally book 10158, but 5E was only booking gty when we chose this cruise. Most of your report sounds familiar. I’ll watch for the ants....strange.

Thanks for sharing! We have a deck 7 after extended verandah room booked for next May. Do you have pictures of the verandah to share?

Thanks for the great report. We have 9174 on the Fantasy in August. I have been charged concerned based on other comments and this makes me feel better!

Thanks for the great report. We have 9174 on the Fantasy in August. I have been charged concerned based on other comments and this makes me feel better!
I have that room and 9176 booked for our Fantasy in August as well. You will love it. I have stayed in them before. The view is amazing.

Small world. We have 9174 and 9674 booked for November 3 cruise. We booked GTY so didn’t get to chose our cabins. There’s a room between us, but glad they are near.

I would definitely contact DCL to talk about the ants so they can bring pest control to take care of the problem.

Would never think of ants on a cruise ship! I'll have to keep that in mind if we notice any bites.
Glad the vibrations didn't bother you. We are on Deck 8 coming up, did you have any motion sickness ?

Our daughter (adult) had a bit the first 2 days but took Bonine and was fine. I am always fine on the ship. However I could still feel it "rocking" for a few days after. I am always like that though.

Funny that you mention the view. It is different. You see so much more motion when on the sides of the ship as you are cutting through the water. Plus you get the lights at night that illuminate. In the back, you just have wake, which does not really equate to much. You also do not really get to look "down" over the sides of the ship in the back. So you feel a bit set back from the side.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

We stayed in room 8682 on the Fantasy which is the corner room aft/starboard and it was amazing. I've stayed aft many times, the verandahs are great and I've never had a problem with vibration.

We stayed in 9674 this past October and loved it! Glad to hear the magic is still there. We booked GTY for this October and got deck 10. I hope it’s as good!

Finally figured out how post the verandah pic.View attachment 335286

That is definitely larger than the veranda with room 9674. I have a video on my phone of the veranda for 9674 but it is too large to post. If I have time and remember I will see if I can upload it to a photo site and then share a link.

Thanks, we're in 9672 in April, I've read plusses and minuses of it. Glad to head your liked it.

We stayed in room 8682 on the Fantasy which is the corner room aft/starboard and it was amazing. I've stayed aft many times, the verandahs are great and I've never had a problem with vibration.

I am staying in room 8684. I appreciate your review/opinion. Were there ants on your verandah?

No, there were no ants. There was a small amount of ash in the morning so I would wear my flip flops outside but it was cleaned off by afternoon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter