Our experience - testing requirements/air travel to U.S.

There is a Car Care Centre near Magic Kingdom where you can rent a car from enterprise, Alamo and national. You can get a complimentary shuttle there from your resort or if you happen to be near MK ask staff for directions. You can reserve the car directly on Alamo or Enterprise website but I just went through the link on Disney world website which is for all 3 and prices are the same.
$90 taxes in for one day for standard size (there are some cheaper), you have to drop it off by 7:30 pm in most cases as that location closes early. I’m actually going to price out a couple of days now, but either way there was lots of availability. The location you are looking for when searching for the car is “Disney World Car Care Centre”
We have insurance on our policy in Ontario that will extend to the rental in USA, you can check that as well and add it if you don’t, most policies charge $25-50 for the coverage for a year.
As for the testing time, we will try to test around 65-70 hrs from our flight in case there is a delay with the airline. My friend suggested testing 48-50 hrs out but not sure.

here is the Disney world link on car rental
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/guest-services/car-rental-services/

Thanks for that link. I was planning on doing an Uber to Walgreens. I'll have to have a look at the price...but I'm wondering if Uber might be less hassle than renting as well?

I also wanted to mention to make sure you make your Walgreens appointment 72 hours before, NOT three days! We originally did 74 hours before our flight, but found out that we would be denied! So make sure to check your flight times and book no earlier than 72 hours. Walgreens was so easy, we went back to test again with no issues. 🤣 It's confusing because to get into US, it is 3 days before and to get into Canada it is 72 hours before.

Thanks for that link. I was planning on doing an Uber to Walgreens. I'll have to have a look at the price...but I'm wondering if Uber might be less hassle than renting as well?
It depends what you want to do, we will either order a taxi (nor Uber) ahead of time or rent the car if we also decide we want to go to the outlets or something like that.
I am not sure that an Uber driver will take us through drive-thru covid testing, swapping q-tips in our noses ;)
If we don’t rent a car we would arrange an actual cab like mears in advance and let them know our plans.
We rented a car once before at the car care centre near MK and it was super easy as it’s pretty much on site. It depends if you want a car for a few hours or just taxi it... however I am not sure most Uber drivers will do it as it’s a set $ per trip and you won’t be able to talk to them in advance about it.
If anything book a taxi, not Uber. Just my opinion though

It depends what you want to do, we will either order a taxi (nor Uber) ahead of time or rent the car if we also decide we want to go to the outlets or something like that.
I am not sure that an Uber driver will take us through drive-thru covid testing, swapping q-tips in our noses ;)
If we don’t rent a car we would arrange an actual cab like mears in advance and let them know our plans.
We rented a car once before at the car care centre near MK and it was super easy as it’s pretty much on site. It depends if you want a car for a few hours or just taxi it... however I am not sure most Uber drivers will do it as it’s a set $ per trip and you won’t be able to talk to them in advance about it.
If anything book a taxi, not Uber. Just my opinion though
Thanks!! So much to plan now. I love planning but this is getting nuts!! 🙂🙂

My wife and I will be at the swan for the exact same dates!...can I ask where you rented the car and the logistics of picking it up and dropping it off? Thanks!

And another question: Canada's regulations state testing within 72 hours of scheduled flight. If we get tested 70 hours before the flight and then the flight time changes then we should be ok?
there's a car rental desk inside the dolphin! Hours are a bit odd BUT don't be put off by that since rentals are for 24 hour period of time and you can just drop the keys off with the valet when you're finished!

there's a car rental desk inside the dolphin! Hours are a bit odd BUT don't be put off by that since rentals are for 24 hour period of time and you can just drop the keys off with the valet when you're finished!
Ooh thanks for posting as well! We plan to be at Epcot the day we rent the car, so should look into this as another option too.

Hmm found another thread saying the Dolphin car rental place is closed, or was as of June. Trying to find updated information.

Regarding the 72 hour window for testing on the way back - when I spoke to Air Canada about this, and asked "what if we get it done 70 hours out, and our flight is delayed?" the rep said don't worry about that, we'd be fine. I haven't seen that written anywhere, but it makes sense, as delays are not the fault of the passenger.

Husband and I will be at POP from the 16 -21. How did you find the 40 dollar test at Shoppers? The ones in London are saying $199.

Going on the Shoppers website seems to have London locations that do the $40- Rapid test:

https://covid-19.shoppersdrugmart.ca/en/testing/antigen-pcr/on
I hope it's OK I posted that. You'll need to call the location and book a time over the phone.

When (and to whom) do you actually show the test results? Is it when checking in and dropping your bags, or is it as you are about to board when they call your flight?

When (and to whom) do you actually show the test results? Is it when checking in and dropping your bags, or is it as you are about to board when they call your flight?
My last 2 trips I flew w Delta and had to show my docs at both check in (i couldnt checkin in on the app; gave me the standard message to see agent) and then again on my final connection through MSP. Six...yes SIX gate agents were required to do all the doc checks in MSP and at that time temp checks where required then as well. Not sure how other airlines are handling it, but i would be prepared to show them both times..and then well obviously again at customs.

My last 2 trips I flew w Delta and had to show my docs at both check in (i couldnt checkin in on the app; gave me the standard message to see agent) and then again on my final connection through MSP. Six...yes SIX gate agents were required to do all the doc checks in MSP and at that time temp checks where required then as well. Not sure how other airlines are handling it, but i would be prepared to show them both times..and then well obviously again at customs.
Thank you. That's helpful.

We flew WestJet and had to show our results at check-in and also when we landed the customs agent asked to see it.

I have seen news reports of hours long waits to get Covid tested in central Florida currently. Not sure if it's affecting the pharmacies (but I would imagine so).
You have to make an appointment for Walgreens. I think they just do 1-2 appointments every 15 minutes. I had to book 3 separate 15 minute appointments for us, but we drove up and did it all at the same time. No wait at all.

I have seen news reports of hours long waits to get Covid tested in central Florida currently. Not sure if it's affecting the pharmacies (but I would imagine so).
I just tried booking an appt in the next 3 days at Walgreens, there were lots of available appts at different locators near Disney world.
Our friends who live in Orlando said they advertise mobile testing sites and believes most residents will go there, there may be long waits there as you don’t necessarily make an appt.
I’m sure things can change at any point now though.

My family is headed back to Toronto from Nashville as we speak. On their first leg to Chicago this morning she needed to show the test results to an agent at the kiosk where she printed the boarding passes. I was surprised a little, as that is technically just a domestic flight, but I suppose they knew they were connecting to Canada.

They just checked in at O’Hare for the flight home and were asked again for the results.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter