Our experience - testing requirements/air travel to U.S.

spewey

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone - as there's been a ton of discussions in multiple threads in this forum about all the testing and other steps necessary to fly to the US I thought perhaps there'd be value in sharing our recent experience.

Now by "our" I mean my wife and DD. My in-laws (wife's parents) are in Nashville, and she hasn't seen them in 18 months, which as they are very close has been brutal. So with the easing of the quarantine mandate - we're all completely vaccinated - they decided to go down for the August long weekend (and I'd stay here with the puppy).

We're in Toronto, and some of this is Ontario specific. To board a flight to the US the CDC requires a negative COVID test be taken within 3 days prior to travel - that's 3 full days, not 72 hours. They accept the Rapid Antigen test offered here by Shoppers for $40. Their flight was this past Thursday, so they could get tested as early as any time on Monday. I booked them in by calling the closest Shoppers that offered that test; they were in and out in 15 minutes with their (neg) results. They presented those along with the CDC attestation that is also required (Air Canada sent my wife the link to that, but I don't know if all airlines do that) prior to boarding. FYI it was am 11AM flight, and fearing long lines they got there at 8AM to find the place deserted, and were sitting at the gate well before 9.

For the return flight (this upcoming Monday) they will need to "upload" their proof of vaccination to the ArriveCan app, which is the easy part, but also present another negative test result taken 72 hours (NOT three days) prior to the departure time of the flight that takes them into Canada. That wording is important, as if you have connecting flights (which they do) the time you need to look at is the one for the final leg that crosses back. For them that is 2:40PM from Chicago; going back 72 hours the earliest they could get tested would be 2:40PM Friday (and I have heard that if the last flight is delayed that won't "void" the time period).

So here's probably the most important info for those travelling to the US under these circumstances - the how/where to get a test while you're in the States. Until/unless things change, I strongly recommend using Walgreens and their Rapid ID Now, which as an NAAT test is accepted to return to Canada. Booking is shockingly simple - go to Walgreens.com and look for COVID testing. You can search for a location that does this by entering the Zip Code of where you'll be staying (at no point are you asked for proof of residency, or citizenship, etc).

You fill out a short "questionnaire" that will include vaccine status, symptoms, and if you're travelled internationally in the past 14 days. Clicking yes on that will get you the "testing recommended" result. You fill in your details - phone, email and so on - along with your address, for which we used where they were staying. It does ask if you have an insurance voucher, but not having one doesn't matter. As far as I can tell you can't book everyone all at once; I did my wife first, and then my DD - as a minor it asked for the guardian's info, for which of course I used my wife. She received email confirmation of their appointments within minutes.

It then gives you locations to choose from, and you click on the test you want (Rapid ID). Keep in mind they only release dates/times for appointments three days out - so in our case, given they are flying back this Monday, I logged on this past Tuesday as that is when Friday's times were shown. I got the latest one (4:45) for both of them, which is within 72 hours of their flight from Chicago to Toronto.

It's a drive-through process. They went yesterday, and all they were asked for was their names, as they were already booked in online. The tech handed them the kit through the window and instructed them on what to do (very easy, not like the brain-poking of the usual PCR nasal swab). Done in 10 minutes, and they received their neg results about two hours later via email (YMMV). Bonus - it's also completely free!

So, with those in hand they're good to go for the return flight. I know that's a lot of details, but actually once you've done it it's not too too bad, and if we go down to Universal end of August as planned (let's see what shape the state is in by then) I think arranging the return testing will cause only a minor disruption to our stay.

I hope the above provides a little bit of clarity for those confused about (as I was) all the hoops that need jumping through. When they get back in a couple days I'll give an update as to how the return went - I hear arrivals at Pearson is a bit of a zoo lately ...

Hey everyone - as there's been a ton of discussions in multiple threads in this forum about all the testing and other steps necessary to fly to the US I thought perhaps there'd be value in sharing our recent experience.

Now by "our" I mean my wife and DD. My in-laws (wife's parents) are in Nashville, and she hasn't seen them in 18 months, which as they are very close has been brutal. So with the easing of the quarantine mandate - we're all completely vaccinated - they decided to go down for the August long weekend (and I'd stay here with the puppy).

We're in Toronto, and some of this is Ontario specific. To board a flight to the US the CDC requires a negative COVID test be taken within 3 days prior to travel - that's 3 full days, not 72 hours. They accept the Rapid Antigen test offered here by Shoppers for $40. Their flight was this past Thursday, so they could get tested as early as any time on Monday. I booked them in by calling the closest Shoppers that offered that test; they were in and out in 15 minutes with their (neg) results. They presented those along with the CDC attestation that is also required (Air Canada sent my wife the link to that, but I don't know if all airlines do that) prior to boarding. FYI it was am 11AM flight, and fearing long lines they got there at 8AM to find the place deserted, and were sitting at the gate well before 9.

For the return flight (this upcoming Monday) they will need to "upload" their proof of vaccination to the ArriveCan app, which is the easy part, but also present another negative test result taken 72 hours (NOT three days) prior to the departure time of the flight that takes them into Canada. That wording is important, as if you have connecting flights (which they do) the time you need to look at is the one for the final leg that crosses back. For them that is 2:40PM from Chicago; going back 72 hours the earliest they could get tested would be 2:40PM Friday (and I have heard that if the last flight is delayed that won't "void" the time period).

So here's probably the most important info for those travelling to the US under these circumstances - the how/where to get a test while you're in the States. Until/unless things change, I strongly recommend using Walgreens and their Rapid ID Now, which as an NAAT test is accepted to return to Canada. Booking is shockingly simple - go to Walgreens.com and look for COVID testing. You can search for a location that does this by entering the Zip Code of where you'll be staying (at no point are you asked for proof of residency, or citizenship, etc).

You fill out a short "questionnaire" that will include vaccine status, symptoms, and if you're travelled internationally in the past 14 days. Clicking yes on that will get you the "testing recommended" result. You fill in your details - phone, email and so on - along with your address, for which we used where they were staying. It does ask if you have an insurance voucher, but not having one doesn't matter. As far as I can tell you can't book everyone all at once; I did my wife first, and then my DD - as a minor it asked for the guardian's info, for which of course I used my wife. She received email confirmation of their appointments within minutes.

It then gives you locations to choose from, and you click on the test you want (Rapid ID). Keep in mind they only release dates/times for appointments three days out - so in our case, given they are flying back this Monday, I logged on this past Tuesday as that is when Friday's times were shown. I got the latest one (4:45) for both of them, which is within 72 hours of their flight from Chicago to Toronto.

It's a drive-through process. They went yesterday, and all they were asked for was their names, as they were already booked in online. The tech handed them the kit through the window and instructed them on what to do (very easy, not like the brain-poking of the usual PCR nasal swab). Done in 10 minutes, and they received their neg results about two hours later via email (YMMV). Bonus - it's also completely free!

So, with those in hand they're good to go for the return flight. I know that's a lot of details, but actually once you've done it it's not too too bad, and if we go down to Universal end of August as planned (let's see what shape the state is in by then) I think arranging the return testing will cause only a minor disruption to our stay.

I hope the above provides a little bit of clarity for those confused about (as I was) all the hoops that need jumping through. When they get back in a couple days I'll give an update as to how the return went - I hear arrivals at Pearson is a bit of a zoo lately ...
Thank you for this detailed report. We're heading to California out of Vancouver at the end of the month so some logistics will be different but it gives me an idea of what to expect.

So just to confirm when you put in your address etc. state for the walgreens booking you used the hotel information?

i used the address where my wife and daughter are staying (my in-laws). But if they were at a hotel I would have used that; others on this board have done so without an issue.

Wow, thank you so much for this. We are flying (if nothing changes with the rules etc) August 15 to Orlando out of Pearson. I’m also going to book our tests at Shoppers.
So very appreciated of you to share.

My research today showed no $40 tests in BC unfortunately, cheapest I have found is around 119, also saw walgreens and cvs in Los Angeles requires a car, so no drop-in appts.

Yes, unfortunately it seems the Rapid ID Walgreens tests are drive-through only. My wife used her dad’s car; if we do go to Universal this month we’ll book a Mears.

We just had the same experience! We used Walgreen Rapid ID Now as well with no issues. I'm sure it would be easy enough to use an Uber to drive through, but we had a rental car. BTW, we booked the rental the day before we left and ended up getting a decent deal. I had been checking rates for months and it was too pricey right up until the day before. :)

We just had the same experience! We used Walgreen Rapid ID Now as well with no issues. I'm sure it would be easy enough to use an Uber to drive through, but we had a rental car. BTW, we booked the rental the day before we left and ended up getting a decent deal. I had been checking rates for months and it was too pricey right up until the day before. :)
We rented a car as well for our Aug 15-22 trip, well rented a car for one day, the cost right now is about $76 plus taxes for a standard size. I think total $90. I’ll check the day before too.
Are you back in Canada now?

Last edited:
We rented a car as well for our Aug 15-22 trip, we’ll rented a car for one day, the cost right now is about $76 plus taxes for a standard size. I think total $90. I’ll check the day before too.
Yes, I've been back for 8 days now. We ended up getting 16 nights rental for $1000 CAD through Alamo. Prior to that, I kept getting quoted $1800 for two weeks, etc. I was so excited to have a rental for the whole trip!

Thank you for sharing your experience. I’m so glad it worked out well for your family.
We are leaving in three weeks and are planing to do the same ($40 shoppers test and Walgreens coming back). It’s nice to know others have done this without issues.

We rented a car as well for our Aug 15-22 trip, well rented a car for one day, the cost right now is about $76 plus taxes for a standard size. I think total $90. I’ll check the day before too.
My wife and I will be at the swan for the exact same dates!...can I ask where you rented the car and the logistics of picking it up and dropping it off? Thanks!

And another question: Canada's regulations state testing within 72 hours of scheduled flight. If we get tested 70 hours before the flight and then the flight time changes then we should be ok?

Last edited:
My wife and I will be at the swan for the exact same dates!...can I ask where you rented the car and the logistics of picking it up and dropping it off? Thanks!
Husband and I will be at POP from the 16 -21. How did you find the 40 dollar test at Shoppers? The ones in London are saying $199.

And another question: Canada's regulations state testing within 72 hours of scheduled flight. If we get tested 70 hours before the flight and then the flight time changes then we should be ok?

There is a Car Care Centre near Magic Kingdom where you can rent a car from enterprise, Alamo and national. You can get a complimentary shuttle there from your resort or if you happen to be near MK ask staff for directions. You can reserve the car directly on Alamo or Enterprise website but I just went through the link on Disney world website which is for all 3 and prices are the same.
$90 taxes in for one day for standard size (there are some cheaper), you have to drop it off by 7:30 pm in most cases as that location closes early. I’m actually going to price out a couple of days now, but either way there was lots of availability. The location you are looking for when searching for the car is “Disney World Car Care Centre”
We have insurance on our policy in Ontario that will extend to the rental in USA, you can check that as well and add it if you don’t, most policies charge $25-50 for the coverage for a year.
As for the testing time, we will try to test around 65-70 hrs from our flight in case there is a delay with the airline. My friend suggested testing 48-50 hrs out but not sure.

here is the Disney world link on car rental
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/guest-services/car-rental-services/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter