Our experience on the Disney Fantasy - the Good and the Bad

FWIW I've seen sting rays in the boating area and at Serenity Bay. We've also seen a barracuda and a small shark. I've read reports of jelly fish at times too. You never know what you'll see at Castaway Cay.

My parents did Castaway Rays and thoroughly enjoyed it and considered doing it again this trip. We have no interest in doing it. It's all subjective.

And I too am glad Turkey Legs are back! Hope they are still there in June.

Ick on these sting ray stories! They are just animals who really don't know any better. I'm not surprised there are these accounts.

OP,

Where did you purchase the Rainforest Day passes online? I'm logged into our cruise itinerary under "Spa and Fitness" and it's only giving me actual spa treatments to purchase/choose from, no pass option.

OP,

Where did you purchase the Rainforest Day passes online? I'm logged into our cruise itinerary under "Spa and Fitness" and it's only giving me actual spa treatments to purchase/choose from, no pass option.

You have to order them from In-room Gifts and Amenities. That involves a phone call or fax.

You have to order them from In-room Gifts and Amenities. That involves a phone call or fax.

Thank you, found it. I only see a 1 day pass for $15, don't see a week pass, is that right? I'm not sure I want to buy a week anyway when I haven't even seen it yet, but 1 day might be nice.

At Castaway the stink rays are only in the Ray lagoon. It is completely separated from the other beach areas... So no worries about rays while enjoying the island unless you pay for the feeding/swimming ray experience.
One thing that I should mention- the rays at CC have their barbs removed do you can't really get 'stung' but my daughter was actually bitten while we were feeding them. You place the food between your fingers and put your hand down flat on their feeding platform. The rays swim over the platform and suck the food out of your fingers. For some reason the ray sucked my daughters finger up as well and started to grind it instead of spitting it out. We were told it is a very rare occurrence.

Not true. There was a large sting ray swimming around the family beach area on our last cruise. Everyone was taking pictures of it. I don't think you can confine sting rays to one area.

There are most certainly sting rays in the CA beaches. My friends son was stung on two separate occasions in San Clemente.

I, too, prefer my ocean swimming to be free of creepy creatures.

You mean the 'creepy creatures' that belong in the ocean - humans don't.
We are invading their space after all !!!

Our cruise - Disney Fantasy Mar 9-16 Eastern Caribbean (St. Thomas, San Juan, Cast Away Cay) Stateroom 7562 Cat 5C

Can you share which night was your formal night? There was a rumor flying around that sometime in March (I think) there would be a switch from the first full at-sea day (Day 2), to the second full at-sea day (Day 3).

Apparently the Barracuda at Serenity Beach is a common fixture. One of the lifeguards was telling us they named him Barry. There were people swimming quite close to him the day we were there and were never bothered. My daughter got her toe chopped by a yellowtail. I completely forgot she had glitter nail polish on her toes!

At Castaway the stink rays are only in the Ray lagoon. It is completely separated from the other beach areas... So no worries about rays while enjoying the island unless you pay for the feeding/swimming ray experience.
One thing that I should mention- the rays at CC have their barbs removed do you can't really get 'stung' but my daughter was actually bitten while we were feeding them. You place the food between your fingers and put your hand down flat on their feeding platform. The rays swim over the platform and suck the food out of your fingers. For some reason the ray sucked my daughters finger up as well and started to grind it instead of spitting it out. We were told it is a very rare occurrence.

In 2010 I went to Stingray City in Grand Cayman. I had a similar experience when feeding a ray. We were instructed to hold the fish in our fist with the thumb side up and fingers clenched (not too tight). The ray sucked up the fish and also part of my hand (the pad area between my thumb and index finger). It felt like a very powerful vaccuum. The ray swam on and my hand had a red, kind of raw mark on it. It never bled, but it was sore for a couple hours. My dd and I are headed back to Stingray City in a month, but I'm learry of letting her feed the rays.

I'm sorry your daughter had such a terrible, traumatic experience.

Can you share which night was your formal night? There was a rumor flying around that sometime in March (I think) there would be a switch from the first full at-sea day (Day 2), to the second full at-sea day (Day 3).

It was on Sunday. Not switched.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Not true. There was a large sting ray swimming around the family beach area on our last cruise. Everyone was taking pictures of it. I don't think you can confine sting rays to one area.

I meant the large quantities swimming around for you to feed... The ones for the excursion are confined. Disney doesn't control what is in the rest of the ocean :)

great rip report--ours is in aug cant wait!!!!!

anyway how did you like your room

were in the same area (7660) for some reason I really wanted this room:confused3

awhile after I made the ressies this room opened up so I grabbed it

I hope I wont be disappointed

thanks

No complaints on the room or the location. Its a couple of doors down from the mid ship stairs so very central.

I meant the large quantities swimming around for you to feed... The ones for the excursion are confined. Disney doesn't control what is in the rest of the ocean :)

Disney controls all!

They have 56 stingrays that have tracking chips on them, and that are de-barbed regularly. Both times I've been at CC there has been just one stingray in the snorkeling area. The snorkeling beach and family beach areas have shark nets farther out, so they do control what gets in to an extent. There are nets around the stingray excursion area, and while the rays can occasionally get out, it is not like the 56 just have free range of CC.

We were there just after Hurricane Sandy and the workers explained that a lot of the nets were ripped but that they had gathered up the chipped rays within a few days.

So to the original question, there aren't a lot of rays on the other beaches of CC, just in the stingray area.

We also had a really bad server team on our last cruise. We also were not impressed with some of the food choices at the MDRs. We ate at Cabanas one night and really loved it. We also enjoyed the food at the counter service. On our next cruise we have decided to skip MDR and just go to Cabanas and counter service. Maybe some Palo Brunches & Dinner, Palo was great.

Same here! We got to the point of almost dreading dinner in the main dining room due to our servers - we couldn't understand them, they were slow, sub par service wise, and were hard sell on the excellent review on the comment card. We dined in Cabanas one evening and it was a great experience - whew, way better servers and experience! It was the 5th night of the cruise and we wished we had tried it sooner. I agree with the food choices in the MDR - not very impressed, and the food was nothing to brag about in my opinion, except for the huge lobster tail! Regarding my spa experience, I loved the treatment I had, but not the hard sell afterward. Plus, I was charged $20 extra for something she did that she didn't not ask me about beforehand, she just did it. I stopped back a couple of days later and complained and they removed the charge. On the plus side, I loved the ship, our ports and expecially our room steward Raj!

Same here! We got to the point of almost dreading dinner in the main dining room due to our servers - we couldn't understand them, they were slow, sub par service wise, and were hard sell on the excellent review on the comment card. We dined in Cabanas one evening and it was a great experience - whew, way better servers and experience! It was the 5th night of the cruise and we wished we had tried it sooner. I agree with the food choices in the MDR - not very impressed, and the food was nothing to brag about in my opinion, except for the huge lobster tail! Regarding my spa experience, I loved the treatment I had, but not the hard sell afterward. Plus, I was charged $20 extra for something she did that she didn't not ask me about beforehand, she just did it. I stopped back a couple of days later and complained and they removed the charge. On the plus side, I loved the ship, our ports and expecially our room steward Raj!

Loved our room Steward, he was awesome and got the best review, along with great comments for the Kids Clubs. :thumbsup2

We were on the same cruise as you. LOVE Kristian. Had him on the Dream and Fantasy at Palo. Awesome awesome server.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter