Our Disney Trip Roundup! :)

urkalynne

Earning My Ears
Just got home from our second Disney trip as a family (8/28-9/3), so we're still pretty new at this. However, here are some observations and personal comparisons based on reviews and threads from these forums!

- DEFINITELY download and use the MDE app and make sure you're leaving the hotel with a fully charged battery. We went as a large group of 9 last year, which was three separate families. I didn't use the app much, because a lot of the planning was already done for us and I hadn't really taken the time to get to know the app much. This time around, it was just DH, DD and I and I drained my battery every single day using it. It seems much more user friendly to me than when I tried to access it, even just a year ago. We rearranged dinner reservations, FP+, checked wait times, etc nonstop during the trip with the ease of MDE. It is definitely worth the download and getting to know before hitting the parks.

- We attended the first night of MNSSHP and I was so on the fence with the amount of additional $$ we spent for tickets and if it was really going to be worth it. It definitely is! DD dressed in a Disney Halloween shirt and pumpkin necklace, simply because the humidity sucked during our trip and I didn't want her miserable in a full costume. We were able to score a meet and greet with Jack and Sally, catch the Hocus Pocus show, the first parade, and most of Wishes. We also walked on to most rides all night with minimal to no wait time (7DMT was a 20 minute wait the majority of our time in the park). However, if you're going to attend an event, make sure you go with a plan! Everyone around you has a plan they're following, so it doesn't even put you "one step ahead" anymore, as much as it just puts you on the same playing field with everyone. We couldn't believe how quickly time passed during the party!

- I'm sad about it, but we were completely unimpressed with BOG this time around. So much so that we had two ADR for BOG (dinner) during our stay and ended up cancelling one. Once you've experienced the atmosphere and the "wow" factor, I don't feel like you're missing out on much by choosing meal options somewhere else. Totally my opinion though, as it's obviously still a hard ADR to snag and a popular place to eat.

- I'd read some reviews about the walk from the lobby to the Mermaid rooms at AoA. Even with a 4 year old in tow and after long days at the park, the walk was nothing horrible. It seemed pretty comparable to our walk from the boats/buses to our rooms last summer at Wilderness Lodge. We enjoyed the smaller (and mainly cheaper) Mermaid rooms, as we didn't spend a lot of time in the room anyways, other than to shower, sleep and get ready for another day. The Mermaid pool also stayed less busy than the bigger Nemo pool and the laundry was a super close trek.

- Laundry! Next time around, we will pack less clothes and take advantage of laundry services on site. I thought I learned this last summer, but apparently not! :) There is an app that you can keep track of the status of each washer/dryer and it really is convenient to have access to them on site. We will also take our own soap next time and save all around.

- The Disney Dining Plan was a perfect fit for us. On our previous trip, we utilized the 3 table service, 2 snacks per day and felt like we accomplished nothing but eating and traveling to eat. The DDP (1 QS, 1 TS, 1 snack) was perfect this time around. If we knew we were going to be in the parks all day, we'd use our QS for breakfast, snack for lunch (as we were too hot to eat anyways) and TS for dinner. I think I read somewhere that DDP is actually going to be 1 QS, 1 TS, and 2 snacks in 2017? If so, that would be an even better fit for us! We never went hungry, but also didn't feel like we were drowning in food/snacks.

- No issues with Disney Magical Express or allowing them to handle our luggage. In fact, we ended up at our hotel around 10AM and received a text message on the bus ride there that our room was already ready. After a long morning of traveling that started at 3AM, we were able to walk right in to a room, nap, head in to the parks, and came back to our luggage situated in our rooms. If you need luggage immediately, you're probably better served to handle your own, but if not, DME is super convenient.

- Memory Maker is worth it. We were able to score 100+ pictures from our trip with minimal effort on our part. We did think we lost our pictures with Jack and Sally, but were able to recover them. Take advantage of all the Photo Pass peeps in the parks and let them do all the work - especially for the quality of the character meet and greet photos compared to what would have been cellphone pictures for us.

- We brought our own ponchos (super cheap 97 cent Wal-Mart variety) and ended up trashing them for the more expensive Disney ponchos, which were MUCH better. Next time, we will just bring an umbrella instead.

I'm certain I've missed things, but these came to the front of my mind! :)

Terrific update! I agree, I know doing laundry while on vacation isn't "fun" but I brought a pop-up hamper & travel size bottle of tide and ran a load one early morning mid-way through the trip and it was definitely worth it! We were able to pack much less & the hamper helped everyone keep dirty clothes in one place.

And I love your review of the Halloween party too! It's totally making me want to go to one next year. Glad you had a great trip!

Just got home from our second Disney trip as a family (8/28-9/3), so we're still pretty new at this. However, here are some observations and personal comparisons based on reviews and threads from these forums!

- DEFINITELY download and use the MDE app and make sure you're leaving the hotel with a fully charged battery. We went as a large group of 9 last year, which was three separate families. I didn't use the app much, because a lot of the planning was already done for us and I hadn't really taken the time to get to know the app much. This time around, it was just DH, DD and I and I drained my battery every single day using it. It seems much more user friendly to me than when I tried to access it, even just a year ago. We rearranged dinner reservations, FP+, checked wait times, etc nonstop during the trip with the ease of MDE. It is definitely worth the download and getting to know before hitting the parks.

- We attended the first night of MNSSHP and I was so on the fence with the amount of additional $$ we spent for tickets and if it was really going to be worth it. It definitely is! DD dressed in a Disney Halloween shirt and pumpkin necklace, simply because the humidity sucked during our trip and I didn't want her miserable in a full costume. We were able to score a meet and greet with Jack and Sally, catch the Hocus Pocus show, the first parade, and most of Wishes. We also walked on to most rides all night with minimal to no wait time (7DMT was a 20 minute wait the majority of our time in the park). However, if you're going to attend an event, make sure you go with a plan! Everyone around you has a plan they're following, so it doesn't even put you "one step ahead" anymore, as much as it just puts you on the same playing field with everyone. We couldn't believe how quickly time passed during the party!

- I'm sad about it, but we were completely unimpressed with BOG this time around. So much so that we had two ADR for BOG (dinner) during our stay and ended up cancelling one. Once you've experienced the atmosphere and the "wow" factor, I don't feel like you're missing out on much by choosing meal options somewhere else. Totally my opinion though, as it's obviously still a hard ADR to snag and a popular place to eat.

- I'd read some reviews about the walk from the lobby to the Mermaid rooms at AoA. Even with a 4 year old in tow and after long days at the park, the walk was nothing horrible. It seemed pretty comparable to our walk from the boats/buses to our rooms last summer at Wilderness Lodge. We enjoyed the smaller (and mainly cheaper) Mermaid rooms, as we didn't spend a lot of time in the room anyways, other than to shower, sleep and get ready for another day. The Mermaid pool also stayed less busy than the bigger Nemo pool and the laundry was a super close trek.

- Laundry! Next time around, we will pack less clothes and take advantage of laundry services on site. I thought I learned this last summer, but apparently not! :) There is an app that you can keep track of the status of each washer/dryer and it really is convenient to have access to them on site. We will also take our own soap next time and save all around.

- The Disney Dining Plan was a perfect fit for us. On our previous trip, we utilized the 3 table service, 2 snacks per day and felt like we accomplished nothing but eating and traveling to eat. The DDP (1 QS, 1 TS, 1 snack) was perfect this time around. If we knew we were going to be in the parks all day, we'd use our QS for breakfast, snack for lunch (as we were too hot to eat anyways) and TS for dinner. I think I read somewhere that DDP is actually going to be 1 QS, 1 TS, and 2 snacks in 2017? If so, that would be an even better fit for us! We never went hungry, but also didn't feel like we were drowning in food/snacks.

- No issues with Disney Magical Express or allowing them to handle our luggage. In fact, we ended up at our hotel around 10AM and received a text message on the bus ride there that our room was already ready. After a long morning of traveling that started at 3AM, we were able to walk right in to a room, nap, head in to the parks, and came back to our luggage situated in our rooms. If you need luggage immediately, you're probably better served to handle your own, but if not, DME is super convenient.

- Memory Maker is worth it. We were able to score 100+ pictures from our trip with minimal effort on our part. We did think we lost our pictures with Jack and Sally, but were able to recover them. Take advantage of all the Photo Pass peeps in the parks and let them do all the work - especially for the quality of the character meet and greet photos compared to what would have been cellphone pictures for us.

- We brought our own ponchos (super cheap 97 cent Wal-Mart variety) and ended up trashing them for the more expensive Disney ponchos, which were MUCH better. Next time, we will just bring an umbrella instead.

I'm certain I've missed things, but these came to the front of my mind! :)

I love these write ups gets me excited for our 3rd trip in March. I know I've seen it on here before but I can't seem to find it now, how do you pay for the laundry, I remember someone saying they no longer accept coins. Is it credit card or MB? We'll be staying in a Mermaid Room as well.

Thank you for your thoughts/opinions. It sounds like you had a great trip. Next year I will be taking my niece to Disney & I may just look into the Mermaid rooms.

I love these write ups gets me excited for our 3rd trip in March. I know I've seen it on here before but I can't seem to find it now, how do you pay for the laundry, I remember someone saying they no longer accept coins. Is it credit card or MB? We'll be staying in a Mermaid Room as well.
The laundry near the Mermaid rooms is all credit/debit card. If you have to buy detergent, run the machines, anything at all is done by card. There's a vending machine of detergent and dryer sheets and a card reader on the wall to run all the machines.

Thanks for sharing! We, too, were surprised for the Disney ponchos to be durable (and relatively cheap) after all the bad things we'd read about them. You can pick up a small, light cell-phone recharger from Best Buy for $20-$30. Very easy to stow in a backpack and then you never have to search for a plug or worry about running out of juice again. Just plug your phone into the charger during lunch or dinner. Some allow two phones to be plugged in at the same time. BOG can be iffy. I did BOG lunch last week at MK and it was such a bad experience (kind of a comedy of errors between the host and servers that I got stuck in the middle of), they refunded me and I left and ate at Cosmic Ray's instead.

Thanks for sharing!! I'm glad you enjoyed MNNSHP!! The first time I went to the party I was worried it wouldn't be worth it also, worth is different for everyone, but we loved it. We are actually going to 2 parties on our next trip.

Great Update!

Just a tip: save your nice disney poncho's! We bring ours back with us every time, and we have one that has lasted through 6 trips now! They are very nice

Never heard of the app for laundry can you explain this a little more? Thank you! Great review by the way.

We also bring our ponchos back year after year. Disney has a policy that if they rip, they will replace. They have done so repeatedly up until last year. The CM at the shop by Splash Moutain was emphatic that was not the case. We walked over to the Emporium where the CM's replaced the ponchos without question.

We used disney ponchos for years but more recently started each carrying a small compact umbrella on rainy days. They fit right into a guys cargo shorts pocket or a women's smaller cross body purse. Then we take one plastic shopping bag so when we go into an attraction we can all put our closed umbrellas in the bag and not get dripped on or have to hold wet umbrellas. Worked really well for us on a rainy day at the studios. I like keeping the rain off my head :umbrella:

I've never read anything bad about the Disney ponchos. I'm sorry I got rid of my old style yellow one when we downsized.

We never use laundry pods, since we have very soft water and can get away with the minimum of liquid detergent on even the largest loads. Does Disney have fragrance-free detergent for their machines?

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a fun vacation!

I feel the same about BOG dinner. But still enjoy lunch there, even if it's only a bowl of soup and a cupcake. Love the atmosphere, not as impressed with the food.

Glad you enjoyed mnsshp! I'm sad I'm missing it this year.

Thanks for the review. I agree about BOG. It was my DDs birthday and she really wanted to eat there - I am not a huge fan. My meals are okay but I wouldn't go back unless someone really wanted to go. We sat in the West Wing and it was very loud for our party of 10 - it was hard to hear anyone when the thunder was happening.

We too were at the 1st Halloween party and felt the same as you. You need a plan. We too did some rides and did our meet and greets later so we didn't have to wait on the lines. We really wanted to meet the 7 dwarfs as that is what we were dressed as plus Snow White, the evil queen and the Prince - it was a blast.

Thanks about your review of the walk to the Mermaid rooms - that is on one of our DDs bucket list and was curious if it was as bad as I have been reading.

We were in DW for 2 weeks and definitely did laundry twice. The app is great.

Thanks again for your review - I am still working on mine.

Terrific update! I agree, I know doing laundry while on vacation isn't "fun" but I brought a pop-up hamper & travel size bottle of tide and ran a load one early morning mid-way through the trip and it was definitely worth it! We were able to pack much less & the hamper helped everyone keep dirty clothes in one place.

And I love your review of the Halloween party too! It's totally making me want to go to one next year. Glad you had a great trip!

Great idea about the pop up hamper! I'm stealing that one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter