Our dinner at San Angel

Belle5

DIS Veteran
pros:

The chips and salsa have improved soooo much for the better! Yum!

Everyone loved their entrees and we ordered probably one of everything! The folks that ordered the $30 meal special were happiest--that tortilla soup was incredible! Good flan, too.

Atmosphere--so beautiful

cons:

cold, uncaring service--felt like you were bothering them (this is the usual here from our experience)

skip the bread pudding...it's kind of pitiful.

Well, there's nothing worse than pitiful pudding... :laughing:

Glad you had a mostly good experience. We've had a couple of dinners there so bad and over-priced that we don't even think about going back.

But, it's been a couple of years, now. Maybe the food is improving as the new restaurant nears completion...

Well, there's nothing worse than pitiful pudding... :laughing:

Where's the Tag Fairy when you need him/her? ;)

I'm loving the reviews. I haven't been to San Angel in many years, but I think the place has been getting better reviews lately. I know that the "bar food" served at La Cava de Tequila is fantastic. Probably the same chips and salsa, too.

I'm looking forward to trying the new Hacienda sometime in the fall.

We were seriously thinking about San Angel on our trip next year, but now I am not so sure, I want both good food and good service.

Any more info out there?

hello, I was actually thinking of San Angel this go around, I've never made ressies have always at ate the Quick service,but now I'm rethinking.
Do the chips and salsa come with whatever you order like most Mexican places?
I guess my main thing is,if anyone knows..the kids dishes, are they alright, my main worry is being selfish because I've always wanted to eat there..but that the kids won't like it??
Thanks!:)

with regards to the children's menu, according to allears, it is pretty much the same menu that they serve all over the world...... chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, pb&j etc..... My ds (3) is not a picky eater at all. I will order him a kid's meal, but I totally see him going for my tortilla soup and tacos. He also LOVES chips and salsa.

We have it booked for lunch on our Epcot day. I am not going in with super high hopes, so if it turns out to be great I will happily surprised. :thumbsup2 I am mainly going for the gorgeous atmosphere and margarita! :lovestruc

I know right! That's why I've always wanted to do it, everytime I've went on the ride and saw how beautiful it was,I've just always wanted to dine in there!! Plus try the Fiesta margarita!! My kids are a little older DD will have to order off the adult menu, I guess DS(8) could get the nuggets and with the chips and salsa he would get filled up, if not I know a stop in France will do the trick....
kinda sounds like I'm talking myself right into it...:goodvibes

The last time I ate there, and it will remain the last time i ate there, the service was the worst I have ever experienced at a restaurant. It was a very hot day and we finished our drinks pretty quickly, we tried to get more drinks for half an hour. We asked every server that went by to get us some refills, I had to quit eating my meal because I had nothing to drink. Our server finally brings our drinks and sits them on the end of the table and walks off. My bill was $59.62, I left $60.

Well it just sounds like I need to rethink our plans. I had first wanted to do Rose & Crown, perhaps I should be safe and go back to the original plan.

Sad tho as it really looks like we would enjoy ourselves.

I would not cancel San Angel because of my review. We loved our food! (The flan was good for dessert) Is it the thought of having cold, uncaring service that has you questioning San Angel? Bad service can happen anywhere--it may just be a little more likely to happen at San Angel. Why don't you go to the podium and tell them you are willing to wait for a server who will really take good care of your table cheerfully.

Belle, your review is not the only one I have heard from, several as a matter of fact. The last thing I want is to have bad service. We have many months to go before I need to make a final decision, so I am reading all I can about both the service and the food and will make an educated decision in the future.

Thanks for you concern.

When we ate there I was amazed that the chips were Tostitos. They had bags of them in the market...and that's what's was on the tables, too. After the delicious chips we'd had at WCC, I was shocked that a Mexican food restaurant would serve bagged chips.

It was the start of a downhill meal for us...the food was so bad that at one point one of my children was in tears!

Our CM did seem to care and fixed it for him, but, it was just a bad experience.

I'm glad to hear that they're improving things. It's such a unique venue...it deserves to have food worth eating!

The last time I ate there, and it will remain the last time i ate there, the service was the worst I have ever experienced at a restaurant. It was a very hot day and we finished our drinks pretty quickly, we tried to get more drinks for half an hour. We asked every server that went by to get us some refills, I had to quit eating my meal because I had nothing to drink. Our server finally brings our drinks and sits them on the end of the table and walks off. My bill was $59.62, I left $60.

This exact thing happened to us!

wow, I guess we were very lucky, judging by the number of folks who have had bad service there. We had great service there last September (during Free Dining, no less) It was a hot, hot day and the waitress kept our water glasses filled the whole time we were there (we also had a lovely pitcher of sangria there -- they have fabulous sangria:thumbsup2)

Agree the bread pudding was not all that (except for the part with the caramel sauce--liked that!) Hubby liked that flan, but I thought it was bland-flan, lol.

The chips and salsa are put on the table when they seat you--the same way another restaurant would serve bread and butter.

We were there last September during Free Dining, and it was one of our favorite meals of the trip--we had most great meals too. I would go back there just for the dessert I had--it was a white chocolate mousse served in a fried tortilla shell and topped with fresh berries. I don't know what it was called and I don't see it on the allears menu, but I would recommend it wholeheartedly. The mousse itself was like a bite of heaven. :love: My son ordered a shrimp dish that was to-die-for too, and our server was excellent. If I could remember her name, I'd post it. She was lovely--friendly yet professional at the same time.

Next trip, I have an ADR for four at LeCellier on an Epcot PM EMH evening. Since I made that ADR, our friends decided to join us, so we are now seven people. If they can't accommodate three of us when we arrive, we'll go elsewhere in Epcot and I think San Angel will be at the top of the list of where to eat instead.

I'm intrigued by the mention of a $30 special. I assume it's a choice of certain appetizers, entrees and desserts. Anyone know which ones? SAI did not offer that last year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter