• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Our Deluxe 25th Anniversary Dining Review WITH PICS: UPDATED Coral Reef & Flying Fish

I'm so enjoying your reviews!!!! Thanks for sharing. Just another question. Were you dressed up for your dinner at Narcoossee's? It is one of the places we'd like to try next year and I wondered if we could dress up or if we would we out of place dressed up. Thanks.

Lynn

I'm so glad you enjoyed Narcoossee's. Hubby and I dined there last year and we absolutely loved it. It's our new favorite place and I think that's where we will go anytime we celebrate anything. We might make up events to celebrate just to have an excuse. LOL

For anyone with an upcoming ADR, I'm so jealous! Enjoy it!! We had the Whole Maine Lobster which was fantastic!!

And if you don't mind me answering, as for how we dressed, hubby wore khaki pants and a nice button down shirt. I was in a dress that I'd actually bought for a wedding. We did see people dressed all different ways. I honestly thought those in shorts and t's looked out of place and I sorta wished they'd enforced the dress code which would have just added to the specialness of this place.

If you can do it, I recommend a later dining slot too. I think ours was 8:15. The grounds of the Grand Floridian at night are just so beautiful and there's nothing like looking across the water at the castle at night. We didn't get to see Wishes, (it was the holiday season and because of MVMCP, wishes was a late one that night) but we did get to see the Electrical Water Pageant.

Wonderful reviews.

Being diabetic myself, I sympathize with your DH -- it is very hard to keep to a sensible diet at WDW when you are tempted all the time! DH and I decided not to do DDP next visit because I never really met a dessert I didn't want to eat and shouldn't! :laughing: But I am cheap enough not to be tempted if it isn't already paid for. Then coffee is fine. (I know weirdo brain thing!)

Anyway ... I will keep checking back! :thumbsup2

I'm so enjoying your reviews!!!! Thanks for sharing. Just another question. Were you dressed up for your dinner at Narcoossee's? It is one of the places we'd like to try next year and I wondered if we could dress up or if we would we out of place dressed up. Thanks.

Lynn

We dressed up a bit - I wore a dressy skirt and top, DH wore nice black pants and a button down shirt. We were glad we dressed the way we did, since almost everyone we saw there that night was dressed up too.

They served the main course just as Wishes was starting. They dimmed the lights and piped in the music.
Overall, this was an incredible meal. I’m so glad we chose Narcoosees for our actual anniversary meal – the location, the service and especially the food were exceptional.

DH and I are going to celebrate our 27th anniversary in December. I am looking for something special.....somewhere we haven't eaten before. Your review has inspired me. I hope I can get a ressie at this late date. Thanks for the review!:goodvibes

Thank you everyone for your good wishes and kind responses.

Friday, August 15th

We had no breakfast plans – we had originally figured we’d use up some of our 20 snack credits on our non restaurant breakfasts, but since we were upgraded to Concierge, we grabbed breakfast there instead. (We’ve never done Concierge before, so during our stay we were pretty excited to see what foods they had there). For breakfast this morning I grabbed a yogurt and had some fresh cut up fruit and coffee. DH had a bagel. In addition to having coffee and hot water urns, they had a cappuccino/latte/café mocha, etc. machine that can make your morning brew any way you want it – decaf too. So during our stay I drank numerous cups of cappuccino.

Tusker House Lunch

We had a 1:45 P.M. ADR and were given a pager. Since lot’s of people were waiting, we thought it would be pretty crowded inside. We were seated after about 10 minutes and the place was surprisingly empty. For those who haven’t been to Tusker House, it’s a large, casual dining hall type restaurant and the buffet is in a separate room in the back. Our waitress was Nancy and she was really nice. She wished us a happy anniversary, brought our iced teas and told us to go help ourselves to the food. The food was in different sections all around a big room with the desserts around a circular section in the middle of the room. I felt strange taking pictures of the food at the buffet, but I did write down the names of most of the food. Between the two of us, we tried most of the dishes and here are some pictures of our plates.
DSCF0533.jpg

DSCF0534.jpg

DSCF0536.jpg

DSCF0537.jpg

DSCF0540.jpg

Some of the food that we really loved were the seafood stew (which had lots of shrimp, scallops and mussels); the curried chicken on rice jollaf; and the orzo with feta, olives and spinach. The vegetable samosas were really good too. They had lots of different types of crackers and breads; hummus and babaganoush; chutney; couscous with vegetables; curried vegetables with tofu; roast chicken; pork tenderloin & some type of beef which they sliced for you; mashed potatoes; green beans; curried couscous with golden raisins; Caesar salad; endive, apple and walnut salad with blue cheese; pearl couscous; plain rice; sliced turkey and ham; sliced cheeses; plus a kids station with macaroni and cheese, corn dogs and more.

For dessert I tried four things – banana cinnamon bread pudding with vanilla sauce, baklava, chocolate pecan bar and lemon bar. (clockwise starting on the left)
DSCF0545.jpg

All very yummy. They also had several types of large cookies, cherry cobbler and lots of little cookies, pastries and cakes.

To celebrate our anniversary, the waitress also brought us a huge frosted cupcake with mickey sprinkles with a candle in the middle. She gave us each a candle, lit our candles and together had us light the cupcake candle.
DSCF0542.jpg

We loved the variety at Tusker House and noted that our vegetarian daughter would have had plenty to eat here too.

California Grill – Dinner

The only “later” ADR I could get for California Grill was at 9:50 P.M. I figured we’d get there early, go up to the lounge and watch the fireworks from outside, since I didn’t think we’d be seated before 10:00 P.M. They took us up to the restaurant after we checked in, gave us a pager, and we were kind of left to ourselves. We went out to the observation deck, found a good spot to watch Wishes and just then our pager went off. We were given a table away from the windows, but it was decorated with mickey confetti and our waitress Kelly wished us a Happy 25th anniversary and really made us feel special. We were given our menus and I asked if everything on the menu was available on the dining plan, since I had read here on the DIS boards that some things were not. With the exception of two sushi dishes on the appetizer menu (Yoshie’s deluxe sushi platter and Snake in the Grass) everything was included. Then, “surprise”, Kelly asked us if we would like to move – they had a table right by the window with a perfect view to watch Wishes. (Alas, the mickey confetti didn’t move with us). Kelly took our order and then the fireworks started. The music was piped in and the room darkened and we enjoyed the fireworks from high up, different from the night before at Narcoosees but just as beautiful.
I ordered the California Roll, jumbo lump crabmeat with avocado and cucumber for my starter which was really good.
DSCF0548.jpg

DH ordered Chilled Maine Lobster with tarragon remoulade, toasted brioche, micro celery and “fries”. The fries were what DH described as “freshly made potato sticks”. There was lots of lobster meat and a delicious, creamy sauce. This dish was light and refreshing.
DSCF0549.jpg

For my main dish, I had the signature grilled pork tenderloin with goat cheese polenta, button mushrooms and zinfandel glaze.
DSCF0551.jpg

This was so incredibly delicious. First of all, I love polenta and I love goat cheese, so what could be bad? But the pork tenderloin was so delicious too and there was lots and lots of it. So much food! After DH finished his dish, he had to help me out again.

DH ordered the Oak-fired Filet of Beef with Boniato Mashed potatoes, Sauteed Haricot Vert and Teriyaki Barbeque Sauce. It was a huge filet mignon which didn’t need a knife and the haricot verts seemed to be lightly sautéed in a garlic oil. This was a huge hit with DH.
DSCF0550.jpg

Kelly also brought us 2 glasses of champagne on the house to celebrate our anniversary.

I had decided in advance that I would have the Banana and Butterscotch Buzz for dessert. Kelly came over with the dessert menu and told us that the only thing they were out of was - - - - - - “Banana and Butterscotch Buzz’. I was so disappointed and really had a hard time picking one of the other choices.

DH was so excited when he saw that “Chocolate Temptation” was a no sugar added dessert. It is described as a chocolate pyramid with chocolate gelato, berry compote and chocolate hazelnut crunch. He said it was “awesome”. I still have my doubts that this dessert could really be sugar free.
DSCF0558.jpg

I ended up ordering the Cashew Nut Dacquoise Cake with Roasted Stone Fruits, blackberries, lychee cream and ginger caramel ice cream. I ordered it because the ginger caramel ice cream sounded good.
DSCF0557.jpg

I was so glad that I ended up ordering this dessert. First of all, the ginger caramel ice cream was super delicious. This was served on top of a dense, nutty like cake which was scrumptious. The white lychee cream covering the dish was light and very flavorful. There were also peaches, raspberries and blackberries. The dessert was decorated with a decorated white chocolate cut out and a chewy chocolate lace type cookie, which were pretty, but didn’t taste like anything special.

If this all wasn’t enough, Kelly also brought us a huge hunk of super rich chocolate layer cake with a chocolate “happy anniversary” on top. The plate was also decorated with chocolate and caramel sauces.
DSCF0553.jpg

I tasted a tiny forkful of cake (delicious), which we then had boxed and took back to our room and kept in the refrigerator for 2 1/2 more days and then brought home for our kids. (I thought the dessert I ordered was better).

I finished off the meal with coffee (DH had ordered an iced tea earlier).

We had a fantastic evening at California Grill, which came in a very close second to Narcoosees as our favorite meal of the trip.

Happy Anniversary!!! We will also be celebrating our 25th very soon and have ressies at CG. Thanks for the great review! Did you tell them when you made the reservation it was your anniversary?

Everything looks so delish!!!:goodvibes

Great update. I love California Grill, that sushi looks really good and the goats cheese polenta is just gorgeous. I'm glad you enjoyed Tusker House, we're having lunch there on our next trip and it looks pretty good.

Cali Grill is our first night dinner, Narcoossee's is our last night dinner! I am SO looking forward to both of them. Great reviews, sonds like you had a great trip!

Karen

Great updates and I really enjoyed the review of Narcoossee's. Can't wait to see what else you had.

I made a ressie for Narcoosee's....now I may have to add Cali Grill too! Wonderful reviews and I'm so happy everything has been so nice for you guys.:goodvibes

Did you tell them when you made the reservation it was your anniversary?

Yes, when we made our ADRs, we asked all the CMs we spoke to if they could please indicate on each reservation that it was our 25th anniversary.

Happy anniversary! I've really enjoyed your reviews and so far it sounds like you had some great meals! :goodvibes

Saturday, August 16, 2008

We started the day again with a visit to the Concierge lounge where I had my requisite cappuccino plus a yogurt and a mini chocolate chip muffin. DH had a croissant which he thought was delicious, plus Earl Grey tea (his favorite). We ate light because a) we were still stuffed from the day before and b) we knew we had big meals ahead of us today with Kona Café and especially Yachtsman Steakhouse for dinner.

Kona Café Lunch

We left the Magic Kingdom for the Poly and our lunch at Kona Café (we had a 12:55 P.M. ADR) For the first time we were not early; in fact we were about 10 minutes late, but I needn’t have worried – they were seating people without ADRs. We had a lovely, very energetic waitress named Teresa who gave us our menus, make a big deal of our anniversary and took our drink orders (iced tea for both of us). Teresa came back to explain the menu to us, describing in detail many of the dishes and even pointing out what people around us were eating. Thankfully, everyone seemed friendly and ok with that. I knew I wanted the Sticky Wings - glazed chicken wings with a tangy mustard drizzle and toasted sesame seeds, for my appetizer.

DSCF0563.jpg

This was so good. The sauce on it was delicious. There were eight wings and the dish even came with a side salad. I was craving salad and vegetables at this point, since my diet so far had been extremely veggie deprived. That side salad, which I think had its own dressing, was so delicious mixed together with the sauce from the wings. Yum.

DH ordered the Lump Crab Cakes - Pan-seared with Asian tartar and pineapple relish, which also came with a side salad. There were three nice sized crab cakes which DH thoroughly enjoyed. He said one of the nicest features of the crab cakes was that you could actually taste & see pieces of crab - that it wasn’t just the typical mushy crab cake with lots of breading.

DSCF0561.jpg

So being veggie deprived we both ordered boring old Asian Chicken Chop Salad - Mixed greens, won tons, chicken breast, and seasonal vegetables served with spicy mustard vinaigrette.

DSCF0565.jpg

Now, we eat salad all the time at home and in restaurants (the salads at California Pizza Kitchen are my favorites). This salad was alright but nothing special. Just a basic salad, with pieces of cold chicken breast and won tons. It fit the bill – I got my refreshing salad greens, but I wish I had ordered the mahi mahi (oh well, next time).

Before we were seated, the host took us past the dessert table to see what delicious offerings they had. It was quite a dilemma since I had decided long ago that I wanted the chocolate macadamia nut tart which is no longer on the menu. The Kona Cone was an option and I was happy to see that it is still served with cotton candy. But I ended up ordering the Banana-Chocolate Creme Brulee which comes with a chocolate spiral and a slice of yummy banana.

DSCF0570.jpg

Let me preface this by saying that my absolute favorite dessert in Disneyworld is the pistachio crème brulee in Jiko. Jiko has always been my favorite DW restaurant (at least until Narcoosees). We’ve eaten there twice already and so didn’t choose it for this trip because we wanted to try new places or go to places we hadn’t been to in at least 15 years. But their crème brulee is amazing. So I was surprised and happy to see that the Kona Café banana chocolate crème brulee is a banana version of the Jiko dish – banana crème brulee on top of a rich chocolate bottom. And the slice of coated banana on top was an added bonus. Luckily I wasn’t all that full from the salad and was able to devour every last bite of the crème brulee.

DH felt so lucky to have a sugar free option. He ordered the No Sugar Added Apple Stack - with Cinnamon, Sour Cream, and crisp Wontons served with Sugar Free Vanilla Ice Cream.

DSCF0571.jpg

DSCF0572.jpg

It is a layered dessert with a beautiful presentation. (The flavor reminded him of his favorite dessert that I make him for special occasions which is an apple crisp.) The combination of the apples, cinnamon and sweetener made a caramel type sauce that added to the dish.

He also ate every last bite, proclaiming it delicious.

When Teresa brought out our desserts, she also brought us an added surprise anniversary dessert – a decorated Happy Anniversary plate with two koko puffs.
DSCF0569.jpg

I was surprised to see that they still make these even though they’re not on the menu anymore. They were filled with a chocolate crème and would have been delicious if I hadn’t been stuffing my face with the crème brulee. Unfortunately, I couldn’t eat more than a little bite of puff.

Overall, we loved the relaxing feel of Kona Café, the excellent service and good food. Fortunately we would have time to digest before our 9:00 P.M. ADR at Yachtsman Steakhouse.

Yachtsman Steakhouse – Dinner

Originally, we weren’t sure if we wanted to eat here. We aren’t really your basic meat and potatoes type people and I usually try to avoid eating too much beef. (I also knew in advance that I would be eating Surf and Turf at Narcoosees). I also wasn’t sure if the atmosphere here would be special enough for our special anniversary. Well, I couldn’t have been more wrong about the atmosphere. I loved the feel of the place, casual, comfortable yet still special enough for a celebratory meal.

After returning to our hotel to change and then taking the boat to the MK, and the bus to the Yacht Club, we were given a pager and actually waited quite a while for our table. We sat inside near a display of the different cuts of beef and watched the chefs at work. On the way to our table, we passed by the dessert display where the hostess explained the different desserts to us. We were finally seated at a table for two and had Beverly as our waitress. We were presented with personalized Happy Anniversary menus (such a nice touch) and spent some time looking over the menus and specialized drinks. We both ordered the Patron Marguerita which was delicious and refreshing.

DSCF0577.jpg

Now, I notice that Disney serves their alcoholic drinks (at least their margueritas) in these glasses, which I love and have become a bit obsessed with finding and purchasing. No luck so far.

I had a really hard time choosing an appetizer here – so many of them sounded delicious, but we both ended up ordering the same thing – Chilled Seafood Salad – lobster, shrimp and jumbo crab with lemon crème fraiche and avocado cream. It was good

DSCF0575.jpg

I’m not much of a bread eater – I almost never eat the dinner rolls or bread presented in a restaurant, but oh, wow, did Yachtsman Steakhouse have the best rolls ever. These were flaky onion rolls, where you can peel off the bread layer by layer.

DSCF0580.jpg

There were also some other type of rolls in the break basket, but who remembers those? (The picture above is of the refills we got on the onion rolls). They also give you a little metal bowl of roasted garlic which we spread onto the rolls, and there was butter of course.

DSCF0579.jpg

I ordered the Yachtman Filet Mignon – 8 oz. filet with mashed potatoes and red wine sauce.
DSCF0583.jpg

This was delicious. The steak was as good as Narcoosees filet. The red wine sauce was nice and the potatoes were ok.

DH ordered the Porterhouse – 24 oz. Center-cut Porterhouse with Fingerling Potatoes and Roasted Garlic Butter.

DSCF0586.jpg

This was Huge – really two steaks in one, a filet mignon and strip steak. DH ate it like he hadn’t eaten all day! He kept saying how good it was and how much he was enjoying himself.

We also ordered a side of Sautéed Mushroom Caps with sherry and cabernet wine sauce.
DSCF0582.jpg

This was a very generous bowl and the mushrooms were oh, so delicious and complemented the steak. You would think, that feeling so veggie deprived, I would have ordered the creamed spinach, which also sounded delicious, but the mushrooms won out.

After finishing our steaks and our drinks I had a problem even thinking about dessert. I was feeling so uncomfortably full, but being on the dining plan, I convinced myself that I had to order something, even if I only ate a little. The waitress tempted us by describing some of the delicious desserts and explaining how their crème brulee is their most popular dessert but after lunch, I could not eat another crème brulee. I ended up ordering The Yachtsman Sundae - A trio of gelato (vanilla, chocolate and strawberry) with strawberry and a vanilla pineapple sauce.

DSCF0592.jpg

I actually ate more of the ice cream than I thought I would – it was refreshing and light and went down easily. I also ordered coffee.

DSCF0588.jpg

I love how they serve the sugars (there's even brown sugar cubes)

Our waitress told DH that she knew he wanted a sugar free dessert and they had a special sugar free dessert for him. He was unbelievably impressed. She brought him a round chocolate brownie on a plate decorated with sugar free caramel and chocolate sauces, with raspberries and a Huge Strawberry on top of the brownie.

DSCF0591.jpg

The brownie was warm and tasted like it had just been made. He thought that the best sugar free chocolate dessert was at the California Grill but this equaled it. He ate everything but the strawberry.

Our waitress Beverly also brought over a special anniversary “extra” - a Happy Anniversary plate with four small candies – two sugar coated red jelly heart shaped candies, and two chocolates filled with fudge (the fillings of the two chocolates tasted the same although the chocolates looked different).

DSCF0587.jpg

We had such a pleasant time at Yachtsman Steakhouse but didn’t know how we would manage to eat any food the next day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter