Our Dec 2015 SW USA Adventure - Pre-trip ramblings...

backinoz

Mouseketeer
After a couple of weeks playing around on roadtrippers.com I think I have finally got things figured out for our adventure. If you want to check out the details of what we're gonna see where and when, then I've put up a separate post here in the 'California & the West' forum with our proposed itinerary.

First up, thanks to everyone here who let me know about the Travel Expo. I booked our flights a few weeks ago and saved some pretty serious $$$. We're heading off on Mon 30 Nov, flying back late on Boxing Day, so that gives us nearly 4 whole weeks to explore & fill up on Disney Magic.

Our first 5 days are Disney all the way - on our last trip we found it's the best way EVER to get over jet lag - then we have nearly 3 weeks touring the South West and up to Yosemite; and back to DL on 23 Dec for Christmas. We did consider Christmas in Yosemite, but were a little concerned about the possibility of snow and how it would impact the drive south and making it to the airport stress free. So a Disneyland Christmas it will be, plus from what I've read DL brings out the Characters en masse when things get crowded and most of our favourite memories from Disney Parks came from the Character interactions :-)

Passengers on board for this adventure are myself, DH, DD18 (who'll be 2 years into her Engineering degree when we go), and DD16 (turning 17 while we're away and will also be heading off to Uni to study Music next year - she'll be auditioning on flute, but also plays piccolo, tuba, trombone and piano). I have a sneaking suspicion that it may be our last chance for a big family holiday so am doing my best to ensure we're all entertained and occupied for the trip.

Why the road trip? Well DH was working away in Iceland two years ago and we visited him for Christmas and had the greatest time doing the 'all the way around Iceland' road trip whilst we were there. So here's hoping this trip will be just as awesome, and a wee bit warmer (although not much more at night time from what I'm reading). Although I'm pretty happy with our plans, there's still a LOT of work to do, especially to sort out accommodation - have finalise the road trip itinerary first though. Also need to crunch some numbers and see if it's worth exploring the idea of getting a RV for the road trip. (Like the idea of not having to pack/unpack the car all the time, but a RV big enough to be comfortable for the 4 of us for 3 weeks won't be so manoeuvrable ,so may not be best for touring around in the National Parks).

Enough procrastination for now or I'll be trip planning into the wee hours of the morning but I must say thanks to Aussie Wendy for your TR - it's helped me quite a bit with my planning. Cheers :-)

Wow, your trip sounds fabulous! I love that it's bookended by days at DL.

Passengers on board for this adventure are myself, DH, DD18 (who'll be 2 years into her Engineering degree when we go), and DD16 (turning 17 while we're away and will also be heading off to Uni to study Music next year - she'll be auditioning on flute, but also plays piccolo, tuba, trombone and piano). I have a sneaking suspicion that it may be our last chance for a big family holiday so am doing my best to ensure we're all entertained and occupied for the trip.

Now since I don't know your daughters I can't really speak for them but I know I personally still enjoy and even prefer travelling with my parents (particularly my dad) and I'm 21 (turning 22 next week). I tried travelling with a friend in 2013, was a 7 week trip around the US and Canada. We parted ways after a week and a half and I ended up continuing the trip solo. Travelling with parents means that no matter how much we fight, at the end of the day we are family and no one is going to be left stranded in a foreign country. Plus it helps that travelling with my parents means I usually only have to pay for my flights and they take care of the accommodation :rolleyes1 So definitely you can plan this as the last big family holiday but maybe you'll get lucky and get to take many more vacations together :)

Sounds fantastic. We are leaving the very same day! 264 days in case you're wondering !

We are also headed to DL for 6 days before we make our way to Orlando and beyond.

Road trip sounds great. I'll check out your itinerary at your other thread.

Wow sounds great. Glad to be of help! I look forward to following your tales along the way - you are going to give us a TR aren't you? I would love to get up to Yosemite too - one day. Nice to have all the family along for the trip. Our DD still tries to join us when she can (now 23) as she likes holidaying with us still as much as with friends -its just a different sort of holiday she says (and admits the friends she can stand travelling with for longer than a week don't number many!) so you may find your girls still joining you from time to time. Our last US trip as you would have noted didn't include her due to timing. She is still studying and hopes to get to a conference in the States later this year and add on a side trip perhaps to Niagara Falls and Quebec - then we will be the jealous ones! She got back from an amazing week in Vanuatu a couple of weeks ago and I must say, though my heart goes out to the people, I am selfishly so pleased her and her friend are home safe and not there while it was on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter