Our August 2006 TRIP REPORT (with lots of Pictures) ***COMPLETE***

I hope she hasn't left for good. Maybe just taking a little break. Come back.

Ms. Heimlich said:
iSo, we were waiting outside of Test Track for my DN to come out. I saw this.
P8090017.jpg

I just DO NOT understand people (women) like this. What do they think this is? A singles bar??? WTH?

Wait.. I don't mean to critize you but what is wrong with what these girls are wearing? None of it appears to be overtly revealing? :confused3

BeckWhy said:
Wait.. I don't mean to critize you but what is wrong with what these girls are wearing? None of it appears to be overtly revealing? :confused3

Its not the CLOTHES!!! ITs the SHOES!!! :)

Their feet HAVE to hurt at the end of the day!! :smooth:

Le Cellier was as I mentioned, a little lacking in the ambience department. I mean, I like cozy, but this was a little …. Dismal.

On the brighter side, though, the FOOD WAS PHENOMENAL.

P8090075.jpg

P8090058.jpg

Our server was for all intents and purposes a really good wait person. I had to ask her for a couple of things twice, but her service was still above average.

For appetizers, DH and DD got Caesar salads and I got the cheese soup (dip the pretzel bread into it… DIVINE). Let’s talk about the bread for a minute… They bring it to you in a bouquet and put it in a vase on your table. There are several different kinds. There is the pretzel bread (which I would trade my DD for…. J/k.), there is a sourdough, and a whole grain bread. They are all excellent.

For dinner, DH and DB both got the mushroom filet. It was REALLY good. The mushroom risotto alone is worth the price of a plane ticket to Orlando! DD had a shrimp pasta dish and I had the maple glazed filet. Dessert was the best part of this meal, though. DH and I split the dessert sampler. It had raspberry sorbet, maple crème brulee, and chocolate whiskey cake infused with orange. It was so good. I was stuffed and ate some anyway.

Mushroom Filet (HIGHLY RECOMMEND!)
P8090064.jpg

Maple Glazed Filet ( little sweet for me... but still GOOD)
P8090063.jpg

DD shrimp dish (DELISH)
P8090062.jpg

Dessert SAMPLER (OMG... soooooo good)
P8090065.jpg

Geewhiz!

What a change.

I ate too much…

Again.

I highly recommend Le Cellier (even though it’s a little… umm…. Dark). This was the 3rd best meal (in my opinion) we had the whole vacation.

We left Canada and headed back to Future World. DB, DSIL, and DN went back to the rooms and DD decided to go with them. DH and I wanted to ride Spaceship Earth. It was nice. We decided to go ahead and go back to the rooms, too. The Animal Kingdom mission took a toll on us. We were really tired.

DH took this picture of me as we waited for the monorail.

P8090080.jpg

I missed Illuminations --- this upset me, but I had hopes of seeing it later in the week.

We got back to our room and this was waiting on top of the TV. I lovelovelove ELEPHANTS!!!

P8110131.jpg

We watched Wishes from the comfort of our bed and went to sleep.

Great TR - I'm loving it! Can't wait for the next installment!

Great report. Thanks for sharing.

I am loving your trip report - I can't wait to read more more more! The pictures are a fabulous addition. :earsgirl:

Ms Heimlich,
Lovin' your reports, gettin' excited about my own trip
...less than 3 weeks to go!!
Glad to see you got the towel animals,
hope I get one myself :rotfl:

The tour guide said "no pictures" so I couldn't take any today... Sorry!!

Day 4

Today is the day we are scheduled to take the Backstage Magic Tour. Our instructions say to meet OUTSIDE the park gates by guest relations at 8:30. We got the kids up and took the monorail over to EPCOT. The kids were going to be by themselves today while the adults took the tour. Disney does not allow children under 16 to participate.

We were waiting outside EPCOT by 8:35 ish and our tour guide showed up about 9:00. There were about 20 people on the tour. Our tour guide was named James. He was sarcastic, expressive, and funny. I enjoyed his style of humor.

I lovedlovedlovedloved this tour. :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc We started out walking into EPCOT and around by the right hand side of spaceship Earth. Between the photopass shop and the Disney art store is an entrance to backstage that we walked thru. We learned that these entrances/exits are never a single door. They are always built to hide what is behind it so the guests can’t see “backstage.” At this point we were standing directly between guest relations and The Living Seas. In reality these buildings are only about 60 yards away from one another. If you try to go from the Seas to the exit in the park, though, it is a 15 minute walk… Next we learned that there is a bus that is dedicated to employees. It can take them from one side of EPCOT to the other or to World Showcase or wherever they need to go. Again, so guests don’t see a worker who belongs in Mexico hanging out in France.

Next we boarded a Mears motor coach and rode around the back of EPCOT to the American Adventure in the World Showcase. The American Adventure is in reality a 7 story building but when viewed from the outside looks like a 3 story building. By using forced perspective they fool you into thinking it is only 3 stories. The doors are easily 12 feet tall. There is a row of bricks set up vertically to fool your eye into seeing a “floor” and the dormer windows in the top are tall enough for a 6 foot man to stand up in.

Next we went to the inner workings of the American Adventure. The show was designed before the building was built. The show dictated the size of the theatre. When you are standing in front of the AA building, you are actually standing on the 2nd level (like the Magic Kingdom) with innerworkings (and the first story of the seven story building) below you. We saw the guts of the show. The animatronic figures have real human hair (!) and their clothes are velcro-ed on. The Mark Twain figure at the beginning of the show cannot move out of the sitting position so his clothes have to be able to accommodate. The contraption that houses the scenes is HUGE. I was very impressed with this attraction… and I hadn’t even SEEN it yet!

Next we visited the cast member building. (I don’t remember the name.) This is where all the EPCOT employees come for changing clothes, getting their “costumes,” getting their paychecks, etc. There is a Cast Member only store, continuing education area, and a hall where different divisions have painted for “pride hall.” It was beautiful.

We got to go where all the costumes are issued for EPCOT each day. There were rows upon rows of costumes for each country, attraction, shop, kiosk, and any other job you could think of.

Before we left we walked by an area where the “hair” people work. These are the people responsible for the hair on animatronics in the rides as well as princesses at Akershus and throughout EPCOT. We met 4 princesses in preparation for their days in the parks.

NOT FOR CHILREN TO READ!!

The hair used for princesses is NOT real hair. Human hair does NOT do well in the Florida heat and Humidity. (like we didn’t already know THAT.) In some cases, for example Jasmine, it takes multiple wigs to get one set of hair.

While we were there one of the hairstylists was combing and curling Aurora’s hair on a stand while across the hall a young lady donned makeup to become her for the day. Another young lady was preparing herself to be Ariel for the afternoon. It was very interesting…

OKAY for KIDS now…

Next we headed to the Disney Florist area. This is the building where ALL the cut flowers for resorts, parks, guests, and events get prepared. We got to walk thru the cooler and see dozens and dozens of roses and other flowers. We saw some beautiful arrangements. There was also a gift basket section where Disney will send gift baskets to your wife, husband, kids, grandmother, boss, etc. They were stunning.

Disney also has a daycare facility for cast members that, according to James, is less expensive than day care outside the world.

Next we went to Creative Costuming. It is located very near MGM. If you have ever been on the back lot tour you have seen parts of it. We saw mock ups of princess dresses, petticoats, and prince outfits. We saw where they actually do the design of the dresses and build the muslin patterns before they are made with the expensive fabric.

We saw a couple of people who it’s their job to match fabric patterns for vests and other costumes, like stripes to stripes or plaid to plaid. James said that not only does the piece they are working on have to match, but this piece has to match all the others that came before and after it.

We saw a machine that will cut up to 6 layers of fabric at a time totally automated. We saw people who it’s their job to be sure that they use fabric in the most effective (least possible waste) way possible. It looked like Tetris with weird shaped pieces. Another lady was in charge of patterns. She could take a pattern and adjust it from a size 2 to a size 22 in a matter of seconds on her computer. Another employee wrote technical papers all day to go with the patterns so if they need to make a costume again in 20 years they have a record of how it was done. It included fabric samples, drawings, and very detailed instructions.

Next was lunch at Mama Melrose.

I was hoping that this would be a light lunch for something a little different from the last several days of stuffing ourselves stupid at every meal.

No Such Luck.

We arrived and were given our drinks. The wait staff then proceeded to inform us what we would be served. Our meal started with family style bread and pesto marinara dipping sauce. Then came a salad and 3 types of pizza. Next were the entrees (served family style) of which there were 4 (I think). Then they brought a dessert sampler for the table. By the entrée’s arrival, I was stuffed. The food was magnificent and I would definitely go back here! Without a doubt.

After stretching our legs from the feast (and a bathroom break) we were then taken to the home of the “can do” folks at Disney. These are the metal workers, fabricators, artists, craftsmen, and the people in general who are responsible for most of the magic at Disney.

We saw the metal shop.

We saw where they work on the animatronics.

We saw the sign painters. It always makes me jealous that people are this talented. The art work on the trash cans alone is amazing. (Next time you are in the world, look at the trash bins… they are themed with the lands in the Magic Kingdom.)

We saw fiberglass fabrication.

We saw some ride cars being altered for handicap access.

We got some history on Cinderella’s Carousel. I have a whole new appreciation for this work of art!!

Then we were taken to the Holiday Decorations department. If you love the holidays, Christmas, Hanukkah, whatever… You would LOVE this place. 365 days a year they prepare for, make, and plan for holiday decorations. It is a warehouse absolutely full of decorations for all the theme parks, resorts, shops, the cruise line and Castaway Cay. 20 people who they job is to make and maintain these decorations all year long…

While we were there they were making huge garlands.

The real world doesn’t make garlands full and fluffy enough for Disney, so they make their own. A woman was zip tying 2-3 garlands together to make one big fluffy garland then they were decorating it with the most beautiful poinsettias, decorations, bows, etc. I have ever seen.

Then it was on to the ornament storage. We learned that Disney plans for 5 years. In other words, they design a decorative ‘theme’ and then buy enough so it doesn’t have to change for 5 years. This means lots of extras. Glass balls, glass domes, glass orbs, in every color, shape, and texture you could imagine. There were rows and rows and rows of them… in literally every color of the rainbow. It was amazing.

We also saw the HUGE trees they put up in front of each park. They are each ~60 feet tall and are held up by what looks like a huge metal telephone poll. The electricity needed is also astounding.

The last stop of the tour was back at the Magic Kingdom. We got to go backstage and into the utilidoors. TALK ABOUT COOL!!! We walked under Main Street USA and saw how people move around in the MK. We learned how much water, food, and trash is used, eaten, and produced everyday at the World. We learned that Disney reclaims most of the waste in a very earth friendly responsible way. For example, the approx. 15 million gallons of waste water generated every day is strained for solids, treated, and used to water golf courses, power wash sidewalks and walkways, and water flowerbeds. The solids are used to fertilize flowerbeds and other plantings. The left over food is sorted and fed to pigs. The trash is hand sorted (for bottles, cans, etc.) and as much that can be recycled, is.

The tour ended with a view of Main Street and the 3:00 parade. We learned that windows on Main Street will open and speakers are hidden behind. This way the music for the parades can be heard. We learned about the sensory pucks imbedded in the street and how they communicate information with the float drivers and the show.

We walked up Main Street and read the windows. Almost all the names on the windows mean something or memorialize someone who played a key role in the development or building of Disney’s World. Some are hilarious. Some are down-right poignant.

Then we loaded back on the bus and went back to EPCOT where we started.

This tour was great and our tour guide made all the difference in “the World.”

$200 bucks seemed awfully steep to me, but now that its done, I would pay it again to see and do all that was included.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

I have been enjoying your report so far, but this is the best installment yet. What a fantastic tour. The next time we go, my DH and I will have to do this. Thanks again, keep it coming

Kerri :thumbsup2

Loving your report! You and your family are beautiful, thanks for sharing!!! Looking forward to the rest :goodvibes

Ms. Heimlich said:
We sat down and my DH proceeded to order the most expensive appetizer and the most expensive entrée (shrimp cocktail and top sirloin steak). I looked at him...

Me: "What are you doing?"
Him: "ordering the most expensive things."
Me: "Why?"
Him: "So I get my monies worth..."

I know exactly what your DH means! I just LOVED knowing I could get the most expensive thing and not have to worry about it (financially anyways lol) we ate SO much on our june trip but it was SO SO SO good. have you ever tried the seafood restaurant in epcot, by Turtle Talk with Crush, really good food!

Spike said:
Were you allowed to take pictures on your tour?

We weren't allowed to take pictures in ANY of the backstage areas (which is where we spent most of the tour). I ended up just leaving my camera on the bus during most of the trip.

Thanks for reading.

JR

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter