Our 3rd Annual Holiday Trip to DL in November - November 22nd - 25th, 2013 Post #3416

Day 1 – May 3, 2013 Part 3

Back to more pictures from "Magical" fireworks.
8716121942_f43bc5d090_b.jpg

8716115964_57e3a7d0a7_b.jpg

8714996089_301db22425_b.jpg

After the fireworks was over, I head on over towards Tomorrowland to see if the rumors were true when I read on the DIS Boards that Space Mountain reopened that day. It was disappointing to hear earlier before the trip that SM was closed due to the safety issue. So I head on over towards SM to see if it was running. I checked Mousewait that the wait time was around 45 minutes and that proved it was opened that night. I didn't plan on going on SM since I have my tripod and my bag so I was not able to go on that ride.

When I packed all my stuff and head on over towards TL, it was kind of busy heading on over to TL. Like every time after the fireworks, it is so busy around the area that it takes time to walk on out of the park or over towards your next attraction.
8714995717_0a7c01e985_b.jpg

8716114198_15694d9b28_b.jpg

Over at SM, the ride was open and there were no CM's telling the guests that the ride was down. It was nice to see and hear that the ride was running that night. There were a lot of people heading on over towards SM that night.
8714994631_bb463ec6dd_b.jpg

The wait time was already at 45 minutes to get on and the FP were not running.
8716112992_852e14d717_b.jpg

Just as I was about to leave TL, I remember that the Iron Man exhibit was going on at Innoventions. It was closed that night and I told myself that I will go in that exhibit on Saturday after my DA and I get back from the WDSaA.

The Stark Industry Banners outside of Innoventions
8716111902_b1ff4b9530_b.jpg

8716111292_1ee5c77672_b.jpg

After leaving TL, I head on back towards the Fantasyland Faire to see it at night. Most of the FF area was all roped off due to the fireworks from that night. The CM's don't let the guests around SB Castle until it is all clear after the fireworks. It was nice to get some pictures of the FF while it was roped off.
8714990915_52e3f8fb47_b.jpg

8714989663_68d5703a88_b.jpg

8714989115_703d608ae1_b.jpg

8716107708_cc7d9a39fd_b.jpg

After going around the FF, I had to get my favorite dessert at DL. Do you know what it is for the DISers that have followed my past trip reports? If you have guess the Dole Whip Soft Serve you are incorrect. This time I actually got the Dole Whip Float. I got the float for my aunt DBF that she went with me during the January trip. Mostly I don't get the float since I care about the pineapple ice cream. But I got it for her and took a picture that I was enjoying it.

When I got to the queue, the wait time was almost about 10 minutes just to get a Dole Whip Float.
8714988211_58337e4583_b.jpg

I haven't had a Dole Whip Float in a long time and it was very nice. Even though I don't get much ice cream like the soft serve, it was nice to have the float that night for her. She was excited to see the picture that I took with my iPhone that night. As usual, I always have to get a picture of the float from that night.
8716106896_394626fcd4_b.jpg

After getting the Dole Whip Float, I head on out of the park since I was tired from that day after driving about 8 hours to get to SoCal and in DL for about 3 hours. I was enjoying the float while walking down MS. It was not that crowded that night while I was walking on out of the park.
8716106434_6dd79cab85_b.jpg

8716104236_73d3eecd69_b.jpg

8714984743_c8579d3956_b.jpg

I head on out of the park around 10:30pm just about 30 minutes until the park closes at 11pm. I walked all the way from the Esplanade and back to Best Western Anaheim Inn to meet up with my DA where she was relaxing in the room.

This concludes our first day of the trip.

This is like a usual day for us when we get to SoCal where we have a long drive all the way from Sacramento to Anaheim. When we get to our room, we first head on over to the ESPN Zone to have dinner and watch the NBA Playoffs. When we were done, I head on over to DL to watch the fireworks. It is like a tradition for me to watch the fireworks on the first day since we won't get FP's for the first show of WoC. Magical is great like usual but it was disappointing that Tinkerbell or Dumbo didn't fly that night where it wasn't that windy. I got to see the Fantasyland Faire which replaced the Carnation Plaza Gardens and it was nice. It would have been nice if they left the CPG but it is a nice meet & greet area for the kids to meet their favorite princesses. I can tell that DD3 when she goes back will like it a lot. It was nice that Space Mountain was reopened that day after being down for a few weeks. I got to have the Dole Whip Float that night where I normally don't get it. It was nice to get it that night for my aunt BF.

Now the next day is the real highlight of the trip for my DA and I since we will be going to the WDSaA for the D23 Tour. Stay tune for the next update at the WDSaA.

YUM! I actually LOVE that dole whip FLOAT. That's a great shot!

Loving your pictures, Bret. I hope you're pleased with them as well. That new lens really shows what a great photographer you are. :thumbsup2

Sounds like a nice first day. I really have to review my pictures now as I never even remember Tink flying twice. Then again, Crap usually has us out of the parks before the night time shows, so I miss them way more than I see them. I am going to try a dole whip for the first time this October. I always refrained, because I thought pineapple (yuck) was the only flavor. It looks like the float only comes with pineapple, so I will not be trying that.

I am loving all of your firework shots. You've really gotten quite good at taking them. So far, I have not learned how to use my camera yet. Some day.

Thanks for reminding me of the difference between Zone and Club. I have never been inside the one at WDW, but I went to the one that was here several times. I loved the cookie dessert. It was kind of like a pazookie from BJ's. I barely watch football at my own house. While I enjoy watching it when it is on, I do not go out of my way to find it. There was always some type of sport playing whenever we were there but never any championship games or anything super special.

YUM! I actually LOVE that dole whip FLOAT. That's a great shot!

Loving your pictures, Bret. I hope you're pleased with them as well. That new lens really shows what a great photographer you are. :thumbsup2

The Dole Whip Float was great that I had to get another one during the trip. I will tell you later on during the update what day I got it again. It is very good but I would still prefer the soft serve over the float.

Thank you PiO. I was pleased with the pictures during the trip. Some of the pictures turned out a little blurry but there is always a few during the trip that didn't turn out really well. It will be a matter of time when I get more lens for my DSLR and a possible upgrade later on.

Sounds like a nice first day. I really have to review my pictures now as I never even remember Tink flying twice. Then again, Crap usually has us out of the parks before the night time shows, so I miss them way more than I see them. I am going to try a dole whip for the first time this October. I always refrained, because I thought pineapple (yuck) was the only flavor. It looks like the float only comes with pineapple, so I will not be trying that.

I am loving all of your firework shots. You've really gotten quite good at taking them. So far, I have not learned how to use my camera yet. Some day.

Thanks for reminding me of the difference between Zone and Club. I have never been inside the one at WDW, but I went to the one that was here several times. I loved the cookie dessert. It was kind of like a pazookie from BJ's. I barely watch football at my own house. While I enjoy watching it when it is on, I do not go out of my way to find it. There was always some type of sport playing whenever we were there but never any championship games or anything super special.

It was a very nice first day of the trip. That day really went fast when my DA and I ate at the ESPN Zone and watching Magical that night. I know for a fact that Tink flies twice during Magical just like Remember Dreams Come True fireworks. Hopefully Crap will let you and the kids stay in the park that night to watch the fireworks. You will love watching Halloween Screams fireworks during Mickey's Halloween Party. That is good to hear that you will be trying a dole whip. You will like the dole whip soft serve and at the Tiki Juice Bar. It would be nice if the TJB have different flavor choices like the Aloha Isle at the Magic Kingdom where they have pineapple, vanilla and orange flavors.

Thank you Kim. Glad that you are enjoying all the "Magical" firework pictures. I was just like the same thing when I got my DSLR camera and didn't know how to take the firework pictures. I was glad that PiO showed me the settings on how to take pictures of the fireworks. I know that you can do the same thing.

Your welcome. The ESPN Zone is way better over the Club in my opinion. Speaking of the cookie dessert my DA had that during this past trip. I believe it is called Chocolate Chip Cookie Sundae in a skillet pan. She really likes that dessert a lot that she has to get it.

I'm glad you and your aunt had nice day. I am not into watching sports, so I have no desire to check out the ESPN places, but I'm glad they are there for you folks who enjoy them. That's one of the things that makes Disney so great, everyone can pretty much do what they like! :thumbsup2

I'm looking forward to what Dave shows you at the archives. He has a hard time with D23 folks because he always wants to show them new stuff and never knows who has seen what!

Day 2 – May 4, 2013 Part 1

On our last update, my DA got to Anaheim after a long trip from Sacramento. We had a nice day where we got to eat at the ESPN Zone for dinner and than I went to DL later that night for "Magical" fireworks. I had a fun time watching Magical that night and it would have been better if Tinkerbell or Dumbo flew that night. But that didn't stop me of having a great time. I spent a few hours in DL to look at the new Fantasyland Faire which is nice. I got a Dole Whip Float instead of the soft serve like I usually get. Now is a new day and the highlight of the trip.

On a nice Saturday morning, we got up around 7am that morning where my DA was all rested up nicely while I was a little tired from the other night. I didn't go to the park that morning since it was open until 9am. Mostly the park opens at 8am on Saturday but the park was not open that morning. So I used that time to rest up and get my bag ready for that day at the Walt Disney Studios.

We didn't leave Best Western Anaheim Inn around 8:30am that morning and it took us about 45 minutes to get from Anaheim to the WDS in Burbank. It was nice that it didn't took that long to get from Anaheim to Burbank that day since the traffic on I-5 was not that bad.

It was around 9:30am when we got to the WDS. We were on Riverside drive and entered the WDS from that area. We parked in the parking lot on the 2nd floor and now we are now in the WDS.

When we got out of our car, we walked with all the rest of the people who were here that day for the tour. My first impression of being in the WDS is so exciting and seeing all the different buildings that are the offices and stages are neat.
8716103246_57fc359a74_b.jpg

We followed the rest of the people that came from the parking lot and there was a long line. I thought that it was part of the tour and we found out awhile ago that there was some kind of screening that day along with the tour. There was two lines where one line was a 2D and 3D. I still don't know what screening happened that day but it happened at the theater.

The staff told us for the screening event that the D23 tour is at the Hyperion Bungalow where the check-in for the tour is located. So my DA and I head on over to the Hyperion Bungalow and it was right next to the Walt Disney Studio Store. There were some people out right at the Hyperion Bungalow and we knew that this was the area for the tour.
8716102836_b12a8c8b2f_b.jpg

8714981479_165346db97_b.jpg

When we check-in for the 10am tour that morning, we head inside the Hyperion Bungalow and there were some D23 merchandise during the tour for sale but we didn't buy anything at that time since we would have time to get it after the tour.
8714978469_6be5d9a771_b.jpg

After exiting the Hyperion Bungalow, we head on over to the Walt Disney Studio Store to see all the different merchandise and there was some merchandise I have never seen before and only exclusive at the WDSS. The thing that I bought at that time was the "Disney Trivia from the Vault: Secrets Revealed and Questions Answered". It was a very nice book to get and it would be nice to get Dave Smith sign it.

It was around 10am and the D23 staff member called out all the people for the 10am tour. Our D23 tour guide is Kelly and she works at the WDS. We were also accompanied by Tom who is a D23 volunteer and a security guard to make sure that everyone doesn't sway off from the tour.
8716098114_82a0806c54_b.jpg

We got to see a Mickey shape topiary right across the street and she told us that this is the only topiary at the WDS.
8716098932_49500e220e_b.jpg

She was telling us a lot of interesting facts about the WDS and the Hyperion Bungalow where it used to be the Disney Publicity and Comic Strip Department in the early days.
8714977733_a27d684733_b.jpg

After that, we started to walked down the road and she talked about the flagpoles right close to the Buena Vista Cafe are the official flagpoles which were used at Squaw Valley, California in the Pageantry Ceremonies of the VIII Olympic Games which was held in February 18-28, 1960.
8714976875_81288d8537_b.jpg

8716094954_b395f4af36_b.jpg

Now we started walking down past Stage A and the Buena Vista Cafe. While the group was walking down, I try to get as many different pictures while walking and listening to her talking about the WDS.
8716093312_b6df22ce7e_b.jpg

The Buena Vista Cafe
8716092340_f484b87509_b.jpg

8716091686_736f3b6401_b.jpg

The other Olympic flagpole which also has a comemorative plaque
8716091272_b0e20cf640_b.jpg

Then we came to the most well know cross sign at the WD Studios which is the Mickey Ave and Dopey Drive sign which was used in The Reluctant Dragon film.
8714970931_5e3ab6abd5_b.jpg

8716088740_389692bb9a_b.jpg

While she was talking about the sign and the interesting history of it, I looked around the whole area and all the different buildings.
8714968577_a74f235bd7_b.jpg

Down the road is the Michael D. Eisner building and the Roy O. Disney which you can barely see them on the side. On the other hand side are the other Animation buildings.
8714967819_38fed4ed09_b.jpg

8714966643_a961e1faae_b.jpg

This is Pluto fire hydrant right at Pluto's Corner.
8716085778_dc91f710a2_b.jpg

8716083270_d6c038b232_b.jpg

A look at the Mickey Ave/Dopey Drive sign
8716082564_f8a8feef75_b.jpg

After looking at the sign, we head on over down the road and towards the Animation building right across from the Main Theater. Kelly was talking about the history of the Animation Building which was the main building for the artists and animators.

Animation Building
8716080354_80dc89b5cd_b.jpg

Main Theater
8714959497_3225377492_b.jpg

Most of the people that were in line for the screening at the Main Theater were already in the theater watching the screening while there were some staff outside.
8714958417_021086f7e3_b.jpg

After Kelly was done talking about the Animation Building, we started to go inside as the first building during the tour. We were not allowed to take any pictures inside the Animation Building. So I had to remember all the scenes from that day.

When we entered the Animation Building, down the hallways were a lot of different paintings, cels, and animation drawings on the wall of the hallway from all different movies from Dumbo, Lady and the Tramp, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, etc. It was very neat to walk through the hallways where the old Imagineers used to work and the current ones today. \

While in the Animation Building, we were taken downstairs in the building which they call it "The Morgue". It is an underground passageway that leads from the Animation Building to the Ink & Paint building which we were about to head on over there next. She told us that they had the underground passage way so that artists and animators can transport the animation cels from weather. That was a genius idea of making sure that the cels won't get damaged during weathers. Kelly talked some great stories about "The Morgue" that they have filmed movies and most of all that there were some old scripts and collection of animation art that was not seen in a long time.

After going through "The Morgue" we were now in the Ink & Paint Building where they put the paint on all the animation. Just like the Animation Building, we were not allowed to take pictures inside the building. We got to see through a clear window of the paint that they still used today. After going through the Ink & Paint Building, we were now back outside.

This is it for this post and I will have more from the WDSaA Tour.

I'm glad you and your aunt had nice day. I am not into watching sports, so I have no desire to check out the ESPN places, but I'm glad they are there for you folks who enjoy them. That's one of the things that makes Disney so great, everyone can pretty much do what they like! :thumbsup2

I'm looking forward to what Dave shows you at the archives. He has a hard time with D23 folks because he always wants to show them new stuff and never knows who has seen what!

Thank you Alison. It was a nice day where it was a little hot in the afternoon when we got to SoCal but later that night it was so perfect in the mid 60s that I didn't want to leave that night and enjoyed the rest of the night. But I had to get some rest for the event the next day. We all have our favorite restaurants that we like to eat. I do enjoy eating at the ESPN Zone and you and Fran enjoy 33 and 1901. It would be nice to eat at those two places one day. It is nice place for the adults that want to watch sports games while the whole family is at the parks.

When I read your trip report at the archives, I didn't want to read much about it since I will be going to the archives and possibly see those items that you have saw during your event. I understand that it is hard for him to show new stuff that haven't been seen before.

Great start to the day so far. Looks like you had a great day to enjoy the WDS.

Looking forward to more.

popcorn::

I love the shots of the studios!

It's too bad they didn't let you take photos in the various departments. It seems that they are very random about where you can take pictures and where you can't. We were able to take pictures in the Ink and Paint dept, but they didn't take us through the Morgue.

Looking forward to hearing more about your tour!

Wow! I may have the check out the studio now. The Morgue seems cool. It does not surprise me that Disney came up with such a great idea, since I heard Disneyland has underground tunnels for staff members to discretely move things around without taking away the magic. One day, I would like to see one of this tunnels too. I really need to join D23 and am unsure why I have yet to do so.

Great start to the day so far. Looks like you had a great day to enjoy the WDS.

Looking forward to more.

popcorn::

Thank you PiO. We did had a great start during the tour even though we were in the wrong area at the WDS. At least we had plenty of time to get to the Hyperion Bungalow where the D23 Tour check-in is located.

I love the shots of the studios!

It's too bad they didn't let you take photos in the various departments. It seems that they are very random about where you can take pictures and where you can't. We were able to take pictures in the Ink and Paint dept, but they didn't take us through the Morgue.

Looking forward to hearing more about your tour!

Thank you Alison.

I can understand why they won't let us take pictures in the various department due to filming or things that they don't want us to see. It didn't stop me of having a great time looking at the different buildings. That was neat the you were able to take pictures in the Ink and Paint building where you have posted it on your trip report. The Morgue was very neat to go through and learn the history of it.

Wow! I may have the check out the studio now. The Morgue seems cool. It does not surprise me that Disney came up with such a great idea, since I heard Disneyland has underground tunnels for staff members to discretely move things around without taking away the magic. One day, I would like to see one of this tunnels too. I really need to join D23 and am unsure why I have yet to do so.

The Morgue was very neat and wish that they would let us take pictures. You can go to this website that talks about the Morgue http://d23.disney.go.com/news/2011/10/mystery-of-the-morgue/ which is very interesting. Same here that is wouldn't surprise me of the underground tunnels like at the MK at WDW. The D23 magazine subscription is quite a lot along with the membership. But you can get the membership without getting the magazine so you can do these different events. I haven't done too much D23 events ever since I subscribed to D23. You should consider joining D23 so you can do the tour and it was well worth doing the tour.

The next post will be up shortly.

Day 2 – May 4, 2013 – Part 2

On our last update, my DA and I got to the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank. We got to go to the WDS to do the D23 Tour which was something that I wanted to do for a very long time. My DA and I never had the time these last few years to do the tour due to our work schedule. This time we found the time and do the tour on May 4th. The WDS was really very neat to be in person than seeing it on the pictures. We had a great tour guide name Kelly and she was very energetic. We got to learn a lot of interesting facts about the WDS and the history of the few buildings that we went through. We got to go through “The Morgue” which was neat to learn about. We got to go through the Animation and Ink & Paint Building during the tour. Now let’s get back to the tour at the WDS.

Just when we got outside of the Ink & Paint Building, we can see “The Michael D. Eisner” Building or formerly the “Team Disney Burbank” Building. It was so neat to see the actual “The Michael D. Eisner” Building where it is the main building at the WDS. The building had the seven dwarfs holding the roof look so amazing. Kelly told us that the building is sometimes called the “Seven Dwarfs Buildings”.
8716076548_3f466c3804_b.jpg

8714956221_59946169c3_b.jpg

8716075574_6d7d97babb_b.jpg

8714955417_19708266af_b.jpg

We didn’t go on over towards “The Michael D. Eisner” Building when we outside the Ink and Paint Building.
8714953507_c227bff185_b.jpg

The Ink and Paint Building had a commemorative plaque during the 50th year of Walt Disney Studios in Burbank. We did get to see the Animation Building plaque but I forgot to get a picture of it.
8714951759_f900f0cf2c_b.jpg

A look at the main entrance close to the “Michael D. Eisner” Building
8716071080_858542e398_b.jpg

8714950471_20f9555277_b.jpg

We started to walk down on Minnie Ave. to learn more about the other buildings on the property. While we were all walking, I had to get as many different pictures of the buildings while we were walking. There was a few times during the walking that I didn’t hear Kelly talking about the site. I should have listen carefully but my DA told me what she had heard from Kelly.
8715340345_f7f925cd55_b.jpg

The next building that we passed by was the Camera Building. The Camera Building was where they housed the multi-plane cameras to shoot animations. Kelly said during the time when we were right by the Camera Building that it was formerly called the Buena Vista Visual Effect and it is called Buena Vista Imaging today.
8715338067_b7be34f616_b.jpg

8716457338_4f99792778_b.jpg

Another great tip she gave us during the tour is that right by the Camera Building, you can get a glimpse of the Walt Disney Studios water tower right down the alley.
8716455998_4ea00656c2_b.jpg

After she talked about the Camera Building, we started to head on over to the next building during the tour.
8716455176_ab4ab06bdd_b.jpg

We were now passing by the Cutting Building.
8716454544_5b09361e8f_b.jpg

We were also right by Stages B and C
8716452558_7b7b1e9cce_b.jpg

Another view of the WDS water tower with the Cutting Building in the view
8716451114_5b59212545_b.jpg

We were walking down on Dopey Drive and we head on in towards the Shorts Building on the right hand side. The Shorts building is called “Shorts” because the building was the location where the early Disney short cartoons were made. Kelly told us that the Shorts Building was once WD office. We got to go inside the building and down the hallway but just like the other buildings that we were not allowed to take any pictures.
8716450346_b1bd7cc8c1_b.jpg

We got to the other side of the Shorts Building.
8716449402_c1121075de_b.jpg

After we were all outside, we were on the other side of the Shorts Building right next to Stage 1 Building or known as “The Fantasia Stage”.
8715329131_927740cc92_b.jpg

Stage 1 or “The Fantasia Stage” is one the original Disney soundstage at the WDS. It was built in order to film Leopold Stokowski's segments in the 1940 film “Fantasia”. During WWII, the stage was used for repairing army vehicles. Stage 1 still is in use today for the current feature and television projects.
8715328695_7939bafbd2_b.jpg

Another 50th anniversary plaque for “The Fantasia Stage”
8715328317_f60a801817_b.jpg

We now moved on towards the next part of the tour.
8716447600_25beb92a44_b.jpg

8715327145_0eacccbf96_b.jpg

More different offices at WDS
8715326699_84a57948bb_b.jpg

That is it for this post and I will have more from the WDSaA tour.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the facade of the Michael D Eisner building. Those dwarves holding up the roof are just great!

I really appreciate your pictures of the various buildings. It's nice to see the outside and gauge how the layout is.

Completely OT - Those water towers. This is something quite American. Is there a historic reason behind why there are water towers marking most towns or campuses?

Great photos! Love the ones of the fireworks and Main Street at night! Just gorgeous. Love the Studio tour too.

Love the building with the dwarves. Did they happen to mention what is currently shooting in the Fantasia stage? Xander loves all the Disney shows. It would be cool if I could say that is where one of his shows is made. I am going to join D23 for sure. I think it is $75 for the magazine subscription membership or $35 without it. Do you get the magazine? Is it worth $10 an issue? If it is, I will probably do that one. Since you are the one who is finally getting me to join, I can list you as my referral if you pm me your last name. It needs the city you live in too, but I think you live in Sacramento, right?

LOVE LOVE LOVE the facade of the Michael D Eisner building. Those dwarves holding up the roof are just great!

I really appreciate your pictures of the various buildings. It's nice to see the outside and gauge how the layout is.

Completely OT - Those water towers. This is something quite American. Is there a historic reason behind why there are water towers marking most towns or campuses?

The facade of the Michael D. Eisner Building is so amazing and it was nice to see it from tha tangle but later on during the tour, we got to go up closer which is even more amazing.

Thank you PiO. It is a big maze of so many buildings and streets at the WDS. Luckily there were maps around the studio to tell everyone where they are and where each different building, etc. around.

The WD Tower is so neat to look at. It is not operational anymore.

Great photos! Love the ones of the fireworks and Main Street at night! Just gorgeous. Love the Studio tour too.

Thank you Kiwigirls.

Love the building with the dwarves. Did they happen to mention what is currently shooting in the Fantasia stage? Xander loves all the Disney shows. It would be cool if I could say that is where one of his shows is made. I am going to join D23 for sure. I think it is $75 for the magazine subscription membership or $35 without it. Do you get the magazine? Is it worth $10 an issue? If it is, I will probably do that one. Since you are the one who is finally getting me to join, I can list you as my referral if you pm me your last name. It needs the city you live in too, but I think you live in Sacramento, right?

Thank you Kim. The Michael D. Eisner Building is very nice to look at especially the seven dwarfs. When someone in our group asked Kim if something was happening at the Fantasia Stage, she told us that it was no being used during our tour. But she did say that they are planning on using the Fantasia Stage for an ABC television show. I'm glad that you are going to join D23. I have been a member since it started in 2009. Even though I haven't attended a lot of D23 events, it is a nice Disney magazine to read.

I'm really enjoying your studio tour pics and the little known facts you're sharing with us.

The membership which includes the magazine is totally worth it. Fran and I both have memberships and we have one with the magazine and one without. In the beginning they didn't let members buy tickets for partners and we sweated it out for being whatever was the membership below sorcerers was at the last expo. We are sorcerers for this expo so I'm glad that we won't miss out on anything. You definitely want to be in on D23, but you should plan some weekends to come to Burbank and take advantage of the offerings at the studio.

I'm not sure if you read my report of the studio tour we did, it was awesome!

I'm really enjoying your studio tour pics and the little known facts you're sharing with us.

Thank you Angela. I am glad that you are enjoying the WDS tour pics. There was a lot of information that Kelly told everyone during the tour and it is hard to remember everything she had said.

The membership which includes the magazine is totally worth it. Fran and I both have memberships and we have one with the magazine and one without. In the beginning they didn't let members buy tickets for partners and we sweated it out for being whatever was the membership below sorcerers was at the last expo. We are sorcerers for this expo so I'm glad that we won't miss out on anything. You definitely want to be in on D23, but you should plan some weekends to come to Burbank and take advantage of the offerings at the studio.

I'm not sure if you read my report of the studio tour we did, it was awesome!

I agree with Alison that the membership with the magazines is well worth it even though it is a lot for 4 magazines a year and you have the opportunity to enjoy all the different Disney events around the country. The tour was well worth the $60 per person for 2 and half hours of going on the WDS and seeing and hearing all the great history of the WD company. I can't believe it took me 3 years to finally do the WDS tour.

The next post will be up shortly.

Day 2 – May 4, 2013 – Part 3

On our last update, my DA and I were at the Walt Disney Studios during the D23 Day at the Walt Disney Studios and Archives. We just walked through the Shorts Building and passed by the Camera and Cutting Building. We also got to see the outside of Stage 1 Building or mostly known as the “Fantasia Stage”. This has been an exciting first part of the day at the WDS and learning about the history.

We just passed by Stage 1 and now heading on over to Stage 2 Building. Stage 2 is known as “The Julie Andrews Stage” where it was the stage that was used for the films “Mary Poppins” and “The Princess Diaries” which took place inside the soundstage. Stage 2 is the second oldest soundstage on the WDS lot. Kelly told everyone that Stage 2 was used for first productions of the Mickey Mouse Club.
8716445658_7e0091c81f_b.jpg

8716444036_b2a55a6183_b.jpg

Julie Andrews Stage 2 Plaque
8716443714_bcf7d7aa09_b.jpg

Stage 2 Plaque during the 50th Anniversary of the WDS.
8716442856_ff552818ac_b.jpg

After we looked at Stage 2, we head on down on Third Ave right in between Stage 1 and Stage 2.
8716443236_4bd5253faa_b.jpg

Now we were on Donald Avenue right next to Stage 3 and by the Sign/Paint Shop and the Lumber Building. Stage 3 was designed for the film 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
8715322273_85108ffae7_b.jpg

We didn’t go towards Stage 3 just yet, instead we were right next to the Walt Disney Production Building or the Digital Studio Center. It was just recently opened last year.
8715321799_bcdb2df82b_b.jpg

8716437674_3b7681f9ab_b.jpg

Down the road, we can see the ABC Studios Building right across the street.
8716438020_d3aca9ed44_b.jpg

Just after we were at the Walt Disney Studios Production Building, we walked down on Donald Ave to see the other buildings around the avenue.
8715318453_c25c750160_b.jpg

While we were walking down on Donald Ave, We saw Stage 3 on the left hand side while on the right hand side were the Sign shop, Lumber Building as well as the Mill.

On the right hand side was the Zorro Parking Structure where we parked our car when we got to the WDS. We were originally suppose to park in the Buena Vista Parking Lot for the tour but we parked in the Zorro Parking Structure during the screening at the Theater.
8715317179_9b72b8e138_b.jpg

Stage 3 door was open when we were walking down on Donald Ave. While we were walking down, mostly everyone in our group walked on over to Stage 3 and see what was going on. I didn’t get a picture of it while we were walking but I did get to see what was going on inside. Kelly told us that there wasn’t anything going on in Stage 3 and she was right since it was empty.
8715316719_d99800e16f_b.jpg

Stage 3 Plaque
8716436314_510f69ca12_b.jpg

Now heading on over towards the Mill
8715315477_a9a0823f7c_b.jpg

8715314999_0e8424272b_b.jpg

While we were right by the Mill Building, Kelly talked about the history of the Water Tower at WDS lot. The Water Tower does not carry water and she told us that it is barely shorter than the Matterhorn mountain at DL.
8715314085_ea1f51f68e_b.jpg

We were all right by the Mill while she was talking about the Water Tower.
8715312933_baae4e6841_b.jpg

Right across the street is the vending machines as well as more offices at the WDS lot.
8716432606_719f8329b7_b.jpg

Now we started to walk down and we passed by Building 95 which also has a map of the WDS
8716432158_10e41ba03b_b.jpg

An actual map of the WDS lot
8716431704_d1d9047647_b.jpg

We walked down on Donald Ave and heading on over towards more different buildings which were not that interesting as the Stage buildings.
8716431272_c5e8711241_b.jpg

We passed by Building 74 which is the Technical Services and Facility Operations at the WDS
8715310807_f6da9bd98a_b.jpg

Now we were on right on Business Street where there Stage buildings set up on that street and she talked about that they used these scenes for different shows. She told us that they can be adjusted for the shows that needs these props.
8716429026_62a6eb6766_b.jpg

8716429574_4c0d64b361_b.jpg

After we left that area, we head on over to our next building which is one of the buildings that I am looking forward to seeing during the tour. But that will be another time since the pictures is at the maximum. So stay tune for the next update of what building we are about to go in next.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter