Our 2nd Anniversary Disneymoon - Aug. 30 to Sept. 6! *We're home! 9/7*

I know it's scary, but it's GREAT NEWS that they found your dad's cancer early! As long as it didn't spread, they should be able to take care of it with surgery, I'm pretty sure! OH! And, I was listening to a radio show, and an oncologist was talking about prostate cancer, and said that with the advances in medicine, men were likely to live so long they would die of some other issue (I know that's worded wrong, but you know what I mean?) - like old age! I donno, I just have peace that your dad will be ok! Prayers going up right now for all of your family! I know it's not easy to see your dad sick!

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Thank you so much Beka! Another friend of mine mentioned that radio show and it really made me feel better about it. We should hear today about whether or not it has spread, although my dad's doctor said that it is 99% unlikely that it has. So we will see.

I really appreciate the support and your confidence! It is easier to feel more comfortable when I hear that!

Just found your pre-trip report and I am hooked for several reasons. First of all want to say so sorry about your family crisis. I will be praying for your father. We have been going thru some difficult times as well. Second, I spent 3 months in Africa when I was 19. I was really hoping you would choose AKL, but I think POR looks wonderful. Third my DH and I took an anniv. trip to WDW last year and loved it.
We ate at Boma on our anniv. trip and fell in love with AKL. (So much so that we came home and bought DVC at AKV.) When I walked in the resort it took me back to Africa. So a suggestion for a meal would be Boma (if it is kosher). That way you could spend some time at AKL. We scheduled it for our AK day and it worked out perfectly.
Also, really take time to explore Africa at AK. I heard a story of a girl from Africa on the Disney internship program...she was very nervous about coming to America and being so far from home. When she walked into the Africa section she felt like she was home because it is so authentic and she was never homesick. I love that story and think of it every time I walk back there. Brings tears to my eyes.
Another suggestion is le Cellier at Canada and Flying Fish on the Boardwalk. We had a great experiences at both places. Make sure you wear your anniversary pins for the whole trip. Also we did the Akershus character b-fast with our kids and it was great. The princesses spent a lot of time with and my girls (and DH) loved it.
Looking forward to reading more!

Hi there, Hale of a Family!

The last time I went to AK, I was on a class trip and my parents were chaperones. I went to AK with a group of friends and they didn't want to do the safari, blah blah blah. So I didn't get to go, but my parents said that it was so authentic and they were so pleased about that. I think part of the reason I didn't choose AKL was that I wanted my honeymoon to be separate from Africa, since we couldn't afford to go there, KWIM? However, I think Boma is on the list of places (one or the other of them is) that you can get kosher food, so I will definitely think about that for our AK day! I can imagine that would be an easy transfer!

I love your story about the CM from Africa! So sweet!

Thanks for all of your suggestions and I appreciate your thoughts and prayers. So far, things are looking up, and everything I have read about prostate cancer is making me feel a little bit like, if you have to get cancer...this is probably the best way to do it as a man. So we will see. I am hopeful because he is just in such excellent health (he's in better shape than I am by far!) and becuase it was caught so early!

The CT scan results came back almost totally clear, but they are doing a follow up MRI on on spot that they think is just a blood vessel (like 99% sure) to check on, and then we go from there. Once they get all this preliminary testing done, we will know more about the course of treatment, and whether they will be able to come to Chicago for the surgery (they only live 3 hours away from here).

Anyway, Passover is almost here, so probably no updates until Sunday evening since my In Laws will be in town!! We are hosting Seders since my FIL had shoulder & back surgery late this winter and is still recovering. We have had a lot of health things going on!

Yay, so happy to hear that you're Dad got such good news! Hope you have a great Easter weekend with your in-laws. :goodvibes

It's good to hear that things for your dad look to be headed in a very positive direction. That's a scary thing to deal with and you seem to handling it all very well.

Enjoy the holiday with your family. That's a big undertaking, the Seders, from what I understand. Try to relax and enjoy the time with family! :goodvibes

Hey ladies & gents!

Well, we are back in action. The Seders went well, although it was crazy as might be expected.

My in laws are still in town, so we are about to have lunch with them and then go to zoo together (or something else, depending on the weather here) Other than that, things are running pretty well. I spent some of the downtime reading my Unofficial Guide and it was great :) I need to get my subscription for TouringPlans as well. Hopefully, when the inlaws leave tonight I'll have some time to do some serious planning. The Southwest ticket prices come out on Tuesday, so I'm hoping to get those ticket bought then!

So my computer ate my previous update but here goes:

My dad had a bone scan and an MRI yesterday. We are waiting for results. My DH and his brother (my BIL) have been tryig to work out some family issues but it has been really difficult on everyone. Not sure how this will work out.

I have been doing lots of Disney thinking since it is a great respite from this crazy stress. I :heart: my disney. Anyway, we managed to book our flights today! Southwest came out with our dates :banana: and then I looked at the times. Both times I wanted (earliest to Orlando, latest out of Orlando) were the cheapest price ($83) which was great. Exactly what I wanted to spend, maybe a little less, and no stupid baggage fees or whatever.

However, as some may have noticed, the late flights out of MCO to Chicago are not there anymore. So our itinerary is

Leave Chicago: 8:15 AM
Arrive Orlando: 11:50 AM

Leave Orlando: 3:50 PM
Arrive Chicago: 5:40 PM

I figure probably 2 hours to get to the hotel, and another hour to settle in. So that leaves us at about 3PM, and I'm not sure what I want to do then.

My first instinct is that I want to take DH to Disney for a glimpse and then a character dining experience like Chef Mickey's to really get us into the mood. I'm not sure if that makes sense if that makes sense though...do we want to do something more low key, like swimming or DTD and then go to dinner. That way, we can go to MK in the morning and have a whole day there. However, I'm not sure I like that plan, since the plan was to do a half day at MK on the first and last day, and I think we won't have time with the return flight being early...and that was going to, along with Monday, be our two days at MK. Hmmm. I need to think about this. Plus, I was also hoping to do KttK on the last day, but according to the DisUnplugged, that doesn't get done until like, 2PM which would be WAY late for our 4PM flight! :laughing:

So that is my current dilemma. Especially as I was hoping to do 2 days each at Epcot & MK and then 1 day each at AK & DHS...

BUT :banana: We're really going to Disney!!!

Yay!! So glad you got a great deal on Southwest too. I swear, I was driving DH crazy while I waited for Southwest to release our dates. I'm so not a patient person. Don't you love that feeling after you book your airfare? To me it solidifies the fact that we're actually going to DISNEY!!! :dance3:

I kind of like the idea of doing MK on the first day. Although, normally we just relax and head to DTD on the first day. We typically do DHS and AK in half days. We just can't seem to find enough to do to spend a full day there. Although, we do go back though out the week to ride ToT, RnR and EE. As long as you stick to some type of touring plan and get to the parks early, I think you'll get to do everything you want to do at all the parks. :goodvibes

It's so funny looking around the board and seeing how many of us booked today! I am having a hard time believing how short they are doing their intervals...I mean, they only extended it until the end of October! Anyway, I'm sure they got a FLOOD of reservations today!

I'm assuming by first day at MK, you mean arrival day? I really like it too...I'm going to have to spend some time figuring this one out!! I thought I had a good basic plan yesterday and then the flight times sort of messed me up :laughing: Guess maybe I was counting chickens before they hatched!

Nice job on the flights! I agree with WDWrocksmysocks about it feeling so REAL once you book the flights. I felt the same way!!

Maybe you could compromise and just do a character dinner at Chef Mickey or dinner at Ohana instead of actually going to MK. That way you can see the castle, even ride the monorail, and not use a park day. We usually like to stay pretty low-key on arrival day because traveling is exhausting! Enjoy the resort pool, maybe shop a bit at DTD then a late-ish ADR at one of the restaurants at an MK resort. Just a suggestion!

Woo-Hoo for booking flights...here's a dance for ya!!

:banana::banana::dance3::banana::banana:

So glad to hear that you got your flights!!! In my opinion and if you have the tickets to use that day then I would def. go to MK. I know I would!!! I need to see that castle the first day I'm there. I mean you prob. won't have a whole lot of time there but at least you'll be there and you might be able to do some of the small rides.

Nice job on the flights! I agree with WDWrocksmysocks about it feeling so REAL once you book the flights. I felt the same way!!

Maybe you could compromise and just do a character dinner at Chef Mickey or dinner at Ohana instead of actually going to MK. That way you can see the castle, even ride the monorail, and not use a park day. We usually like to stay pretty low-key on arrival day because traveling is exhausting! Enjoy the resort pool, maybe shop a bit at DTD then a late-ish ADR at one of the restaurants at an MK resort. Just a suggestion!

Woo-Hoo for booking flights...here's a dance for ya!!

:banana::banana::dance3::banana::banana:

Thank you for the banana dance. I think I'm going to have to talk to DH about it...depends on what he says, and also I think in part where we decide to eat, too. And I think honestly it depends on what time MK closes...

So glad to hear that you got your flights!!! In my opinion and if you have the tickets to use that day then I would def. go to MK. I know I would!!! I need to see that castle the first day I'm there. I mean you prob. won't have a whole lot of time there but at least you'll be there and you might be able to do some of the small rides.

We do have the ticket days, that's not a problem! :thumbsup2 So maybe that's a good idea. I want to go to Main Street Bakery. We ALWAYS went there when I was a kid, and it was great! And see the castle. And Tomorrowland. Cause that was always my favorite. That's going to be such a bit of nostalgia! :wizard:

Yeah.

Anyway! :dance3: for tickets!

Yay for getting your flights!!! :yay: That's so great. I'm sure you'll have a GREAT time with whichever way you decide to go for the first day. I'm trying to figure out the same thing. But I'm gonna wait til Tour Guide Mike releases his crowd levels before I decide for sure.

We just bought our air tickets as well. We also decided to add-on 3 more night at the end of our stay. Now we have to decide where we want to stay!

Yay for getting your flights!!! :yay: That's so great. I'm sure you'll have a GREAT time with whichever way you decide to go for the first day. I'm trying to figure out the same thing. But I'm gonna wait til Tour Guide Mike releases his crowd levels before I decide for sure.

I am thinking MK and then Chef Mickey's, when I realized how close they are together! We can practically walk from MK to the Contemporary! So that's my tentative decision, I think.

We just bought our air tickets as well. We also decided to add-on 3 more night at the end of our stay. Now we have to decide where we want to stay!

That's awesome! I hope you guys figure out where you want to stay! I know it's a hard decision with so many great resorts!!

Tentative Schedule (Dare I say it?)

Sunday: MK in the evening, with a stop at Chef Mickey's (hopefully Wishes & Spectro)
Monday: MK
Tuesday: Epcot in the morning, MK in the evening (assuming we want to)
Wednesday: Epcot (and our anniversary!)
Thursday: AK
Friday: DHS
Saturday: Day Off, Cirque de Soliel (9PM)?
Sunday: Character breakfast? Then leaving at 12:00 p.m. on ME for a 4PM flight

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter