• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ouch,the FDNY gave me a needle....

mrFDNY

<font color=red>I'll be back mrFDNY. I have my ey
hi all,
so the other day the FDNY ran a surprise excrise citywide and it hurt.so we were sitting around the fire house and we get a strange run.no lights and sirens to a different fire house around 15 mins away.we were the first unit called at first to go on this secret mission,then they began calling other units to respond.like i said it was wierd we were not allowed to use lights and sirens.so we get there and our captain is outside on the fdny nextel.so i walk up and ask what's going on? the captain informs us its a bio-pod event.OH NO NOT A BIO-POD.ummm hey capt whats a bio-pod event??do we get prizes if we win? :teeth: basiclly they are mass vaccinating all fdny personal tonight with the flu vaccine.a needle/shot? were going to get a needle?? the capt confirms it,yes were getting shots. I start thinking in the back of my head, how can i get out of this? i thought of taking a hostage and screaming "YOUR NOT TAKING ME ALIVE" but i knew that would not work.so the rest of my guys drag me into the fire house.

one of the guys told me the nurses are very gentle and not to worry.so i walk in and i see the nurse,OH my GOD she looked like ted bundy,mean looking,needle stabbing,homicidal maniaic type.actually she was very normal looking,but it did'nt matter.if she was gonna give me a shot she was the devil.so i roll my uniform sleve up,i pictured her drawing a bullseye on my upper arm and begining her dart game at my painful expense.and bam she hits her mark.it was'nt so bad and once i regained consciousness i did'nt even know what happened.so on the way out the capt says to me,see it was'nt so bad was it? I looked him dead in the face and said"the next time they send me to a bio-pod test,I'm slamming the rig into a tree to get out of responding" :teeth:

I soon as I heard the word needle I would have been LONG GONE.

Very impressed you stayed and took the shot!

All I have is 3 words: I HATE SHOTS!!!! Enough said.

Want a sad but true confession? I paid $80 out of my pocket for the flu-mist nasal spray rather than getting the flu shot for FREE. :sad2:

I don't mind the shot itself too much, but I can't stand my arm being sore. I am a big wuss. If I do have to get a shot I use EMLA cream (I steal from what the ped writes for my kids! How pathetic is that!)

Sorry you got ambushed, Mr FDNY! They could have at least let you premedicate with some tylenol or advil!

Laurie
(and yeah...for those who know me...I am a nurse. Just for the record, I don't much like GIVING shots either, and very very rarely ever have to do it :)

At least you were able to get a flu shot. None to be had in my area.

The thought of needles freaks me out :earseek: They were giving flu shots at work the other day and I had to completely avoid that part of the building.
I will take my chances with the flu(haven't had it in about 25-30 years).

I understand, but in this day and age we have to have it done! Think about our parents and grandparents and even great grands who didn't have innoculations and died because of a simple thing like the flu.

Ahhhhh, it is better to give than to receive.......

ESPECIALLY when it comes to needles.

I can SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sympathize with you today... I got a needle today too... I had a Blood Test done... :guilty:

I got an "ouchie" today but at least I got a Purple Bandaid !!!! :p

laurie31 said:
Want a sad but true confession? I paid $80 out of my pocket for the flu-mist nasal spray rather than getting the flu shot for FREE. :sad2:

I don't mind the shot itself too much, but I can't stand my arm being sore. I am a big wuss. If I do have to get a shot I use EMLA cream (I steal from what the ped writes for my kids! How pathetic is that!)

Sorry you got ambushed, Mr FDNY! They could have at least let you premedicate with some tylenol or advil!

Laurie
(and yeah...for those who know me...I am a nurse. Just for the record, I don't much like GIVING shots either, and very very rarely ever have to do it :)

OMG--I am very panick stricken when it comes to shots. Always thought of a nursing career though (one of those 2nd wind things or backup plans should something happen to hubby). How in the world did you get yourself past the shot thing?

I pass out from shots--for any shot I must lie flat on my back and stay there until the threat of passing out has fast.

This thread is giving me the heebie jeebies in the "shot zone" (area on the arm...can't even type the rest!). Must go now! :earseek: :earseek:

:firefight Poor baby! What kind of bandaid did they put on it for ya? A Mickey or Tink? :hyper: That always make it feel better! :goodvibes

Lisa loves Pooh said:
OMG--I am very panick stricken when it comes to shots. Always thought of a nursing career though (one of those 2nd wind things or backup plans should something happen to hubby). How in the world did you get yourself past the shot thing?

Well (and I don't think they do this any more, so do'nt let me derail your back-up plan) I nearly freaked in nursing school when we were made to practice ON EACH OTHER! But I survived, mostly because I got partnered with my best friend who had actually had some experience and we only used saline so it wasn't painful at all. (and yeah, she was the one in my tag with all the boyfriends. I don't know how she found time to study!)

Working in the hospital, virtually everything is IV, and we have an IV team to start the IVs, so it's very rare for us to actually give a shot. A doctor's office is a different story. I have friends who work in offices and that's all they do :eek:

However, as another poster so aptly putting it, shots are better to give than to receive, and once you get the hang of it, it's not so bad. I still don't like to do it though. I feel bad for the patient. I guess it's been 4 or 5 years since I've done it though. :)

Laurie :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter