Otterbox on Ebay?

Geooo

Earning My Ears
Why are SOME of the Otterboxes on Ebay cheaper than what they are on the website itself? Do they come will all the parts on Ebay?

Why are SOME of the Otterboxes on Ebay cheaper than what they are on the website itself? Do they come will all the parts on Ebay?

Because they are counterfeits. Also, don't be fooled by the cheap ones on Amazon, they are counterfeit too.

Yup, Otterboxes are the most counterfeit cell phone cases out there.

We love our Otterboxes, even though they are expensive (more costly here in Canada), as they have fab service and protect our devices very well!

Tiger

luvmy3 said:
Because they are counterfeits. Also, don't be fooled by the cheap ones on Amazon, they are counterfeit too.

Just saw this after I replied to try Amazon.

I bought one from Amazon and part of it tore. Otterbox (not Amazon) sent me a new one. Not sure what they'd do that if it was counterfeit.

I bought one from Amazon and part of it tore. Otterbox (not Amazon) sent me a new one. Not sure what they'd do that if it was counterfeit.

If Amazon was the seller it was most likely real. I purchased 2 from Amazon (don't remember the sellers) and they were both counterfeit. The lower price was definitely too good to be true in my case.

If Amazon was the seller it was most likely real. I purchased 2 from Amazon (don't remember the sellers) and they were both counterfeit. The lower price was definitely too good to be true in my case.

I think the cost is why people buy off of Amazon or Ebay, but then they contact the company for warranty exchanges/repairs, which is totally not cool, as it ends up costing us legitimate Otterbox customers in higher product costs down the line.

Not saying you or the OP did this, but it is happening, and it is frustrating as I pay a lot for my original Otterbox cases.

Otterbox has a very liberal return policy, but I have read that they are starting to request a receipt for each return or exchange going forward.

Did you send in a receipt? If not, they would have no idea if your merchandise was counterfeit or not, so they took your word for it.

This is not great business on their part, as if your product was counterfeit, then they lost money in sending you an original, non-counterfeit product, in exchange for your much cheaper, counterfeit product.

If your product was not a counterfeit, then they honored their warranty, and that was good for you.

Tiger

Tiger926 said:
I think the cost is why people buy off of Amazon or Ebay, but then they contact the company for warranty exchanges/repairs, which is totally not cool, as it ends up costing us legitimate Otterbox customers in higher product costs down the line.

Not saying you or the OP did this, but it is happening, and it is frustrating as I pay a lot for my original Otterbox cases.

Otterbox has a very liberal return policy, but I have read that they are starting to request a receipt for each return or exchange going forward.

Did you send in a receipt? If not, they would have no idea if your merchandise was counterfeit or not, so they took your word for it.

This is not great business on their part, as if your product was counterfeit, then they lost money in sending you an original, non-counterfeit product, in exchange for your much cheaper, counterfeit product.

If your product was not a counterfeit, then they honored their warranty, and that was good for you.

Tiger

In the email I sent to Otterbox customer service I stated that I purchased it from Amazon.

In the email I sent to Otterbox customer service I stated that I purchased it from Amazon.

Yes, you said that, but you didn't say if you provided a receipt. If they didn't ask for one, then that is their problem. They know who the authorized Otterbox sellers are, so if they were worried, they would have asked for more proof. Sounds like you had a very easy warranty experience, which Otterbox is known for.

Do you think you bought a counterfeit case?

This is all helpful for the OP as there are so many Otterbox cases listed on Amazon.

Tiger

Tiger926 said:
Yes, you said that, but you didn't say if you provided a receipt. If they didn't ask for one, then that is their problem. They know who the authorized Otterbox sellers are, so if they were worried, they would have asked for more proof. Sounds like you had a very easy warranty experience, which Otterbox is known for.

Do you think you bought a counterfeit case?

This is all helpful for the OP as there are so many Otterbox cases listed on Amazon.

Tiger

No, they did not ask for a receipt. They asked for pictures of the case and the damage.

No, I do not think I bought a counterfeit case from Amazon.

No, they did not ask for a receipt. They asked for pictures of the case and the damage.

No, I do not think I bought a counterfeit case from Amazon.

Well, that is your answer then (you didn't mention a picture). They could tell it was original from the photo.

Great that you didn't buy a counterfeit case, and even greater that you got a new one!

Tiger

When I bought the first one from Amazon, I also purchased one directly from Otterbox. I had gotten the one from Amazon first so I had no idea it was a counterfeit. It just happened to be the wrong color though and since it was a 3rd party seller Amazon could not exchange it, only offer a refund. So I ordered a second one from a different seller in the color I needed. In the mean time I got the one from Otterbox and saw just how different it was, quality wise. I contacted them to make sure before I called Amazon to complain and confirmed it was a counterfeit. I gave Otterbox and Amazon the sellers info but not sure if either did anything about it. Then, I received the second one from Amazon, and that was a counterfeit too. I hate counterfeiters, and I have no respect for people who knowingly support them :mad:

How can you tell it's not a true Otterbox? Just got mine in the mail from Amazon a couple of days ago. It was ordered from Amazon, not a 3rd party. It came in Otterbox retail packaging.

How can you tell it's not a true Otterbox? Just got mine in the mail from Amazon a couple of days ago. It was ordered from Amazon, not a 3rd party. It came in Otterbox retail packaging.

Check out youtube for videos on how to spot a fake. They do come in what looks like retail packaging, but it isn't the same as the real ones. Also, the hard plastic is pretty flimsy.

ETA one thing I forgot to mention is the SKU on the counterfeit boxes were the same and for a color that neither case I ordered was. It was a real otterbox sku and IIRC it was a sticker it wasn't actually printed on the box itself. There were a lot of "red flags" about it which were confirmed when I spoke directly to Otterbox.

I ordered an otterbox on amazon for Christmas. It is already falling apart. I am calling Otterbox for a replacement tomorrow.

FYI: This is our THIRD Otterbox to fail (3rd product) The rubber just isn't made well. The plastic and protection are still there, but the rubber just falls apart.

Dawn

DawnM said:
I ordered an otterbox on amazon for Christmas. It is already falling apart. I am calling Otterbox for a replacement tomorrow.

FYI: This is our THIRD Otterbox to fail (3rd product) The rubber just isn't made well. The plastic and protection are still there, but the rubber just falls apart.

Dawn

What Otter do you have and for what phone?

We had for our Blackberry and there was a well known design flaw, so Otter kept replacing

We currently have multiple Otters for our Apple products, and no issues as they have made some design and quality improvements.

Call Otter and they will help you out, if in fact you bought an authentic Otter. If you have a counterfeit, then that would be why you are having issues. Good luck!

As for authentic Otters, You Tube videos are good!

Tiger

Actually, thank you for posting this, it prompted me to get my pictures taken and get a request for a new one.

All 3 are Apple products.

iphone 4, ipod touch, and ipad 2.

The ipad 2 and iphone 4 otterboxes have been replaced. Now I need an ipod touch case replaced.

All have been purchased on Amazon through actual Amazon, not sellers who sell through Amazon. All have been labeled by Amazon as official Otterboxes.

Otterbox has had no problem replacing them.

Dawn

What Otter do you have and for what phone?

We had for our Blackberry and there was a well known design flaw, so Otter kept replacing

We currently have multiple Otters for our Apple products, and no issues as they have made some design and quality improvements.

Call Otter and they will help you out, if in fact you bought an authentic Otter. If you have a counterfeit, then that would be why you are having issues. Good luck!

As for authentic Otters, You Tube videos are good!

Tiger

DawnM said:
All 3 are Apple products.

iphone 4, ipod touch, and ipad 2.

The ipad 2 and iphone 4 otterboxes have been replaced. Now I need an ipod touch case replaced.

All have been purchased on Amazon through actual Amazon, not sellers who sell through Amazon. All have been labeled by Amazon as official Otterboxes.

Otterbox has had no problem replacing them.

Dawn

The replacement Otterbox sent me is having an issue as well. Maybe they sent me a counterfeit? :)

I think they provide great protection but the rubber flaps do not hold up for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter