Other timeshares

El&Asmom

DIS Veteran
I know this has been asked before but I can't seem to search well. We are considering other locations every other year and want to branch out next year. We have 4 kids so we would like a place that is at least 2 bedrooms somewhere warm with beaches. We're in Chicago so preferably somewhere in the Atlantic vs Pacific to save on airfare for 6.
We wouldn't necessarily want to use DVC points, just looking for places we could stay or if anyone knows of places that rent timeshare units that might work too.
Any good hotels/timeshares people recommend?

TUG is a great spot to learn about other timeshares:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php

they have detailed reviews there that are a member's only feature (membership is $15 per year) but you can do searches on the forums for free to get ideas if you are curious.

marriott has a lot of great resorts.

http://www.marriottvacationclub.com/vacation-resorts/

you can look on TUG or redweek or a number of other sites to try to rent from an owner.

a fairly comprehensive list of timeshares can be found on the following 2 sites:

http://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1500

http://www.rci.com/resort-directory/landing

there's also

http://www.vrbo.com/

for condo/home rentals that might be worth a look.

i like hilton head in SC - marriott has several nice resorts on the beach there. great food - golf and shopping are popular - fairly low key atmosphere with lots of bike paths.

myrtle beach is a popular option with a lot of family activities - very different atmosphere than hilton head - a lot more energy. there are a lot of great beaches in FL as well. hard to narrow it down - you might want to poke around some travel sites to get ideas...

Thanks for the idea. We love HH and have been at the DVC several times. We had a week booked there this summer but canceled it since too much is going on. I had a basketball tourney in college at Myrtle Beach. A little too hectic for me. Loved Bonita Springs last year and that whole area.
Thanks again. I'll look into them.

I know this has been asked before but I can't seem to search well. We are considering other locations every other year and want to branch out next year. We have 4 kids so we would like a place that is at least 2 bedrooms somewhere warm with beaches. We're in Chicago so preferably somewhere in the Atlantic vs Pacific to save on airfare for 6.
We wouldn't necessarily want to use DVC points, just looking for places we could stay or if anyone knows of places that rent timeshare units that might work too.
Any good hotels/timeshares people recommend?
It depends on what's important to you. There are a ton of choices in FL and South Carolina. IF you want a top rated resort on the beach, there are several Marriott's. There are also a ton of condo's that are rented through VRBO and rental companies among others. We do really like HH and the Marriott's there. Wyndham has good options in Panama city beach, Daytona and Destin to name a few.

Try using your DVC points at Disney's Hilton Head Island resort and Vero Beach. Also, Club Intrawest at Sandestin Fl is a great (smaller) resort and Destin/Sandestin beaches are beautiful. You can use your DVC points to trade into Club Intrawest

Thanks. I looked at the Sandesin Club Intrawest property. That looks perfect. Does anyone know how difficult that would be to book for spring break? Any tips for booking? Looks like on the DVC site we can book it 7 months out. I'm guessing I just call at 7 months and hope for the best.

I'd assume spring break would be difficult. I don't believe it's on the beach if that matters, just close.

Thanks Dean. I noticed that. We actually prefer to be on a marsh similar to HH DVC. We stayed at Coconut Plantation in Bonita Springs last year and took a boat to the beach. We'll see if we get lucky that week.

Thanks Dean. I noticed that. We actually prefer to be on a marsh similar to HH DVC. We stayed at Coconut Plantation in Bonita Springs last year and took a boat to the beach. We'll see if we get lucky that week.
Sandestin has a shuttle so those who are OK not being on the beach should be OK. Personally I'd look for n exchange to Emerald Grand, Beech Street Cottages or Majestic Sun in Destin or the Wyndham in PCB. I'd probably avoid the Holiday Inn resorts. There are a ton of condo rentals listed in RCI (I didn't cross reference through DVC) and those would have to be looked at case by case. One could always set up an exchange then cancel later if booked at CI. A direct exchange with a Wyndham, CI or Marriott owner might be an even better option.

Our daughter stayed at the Sandestin Club Intrawest resort and really enjoyed it. We have stayed at the Wyndham Panama City Beach resort and it was really nice - right on the ocean. We stayed in a one bedroom that slept six with 2 bathrooms. There were bunkbeds in the hallway. It was decorated beautifully, too, granite countertops and a beautiful kitchen.

We drove over to Destin from Panama City and looked at Wyndham's Beach Street Cottages and Wyndham's Majestic Sun resort and those looked nice, too, although they were across the street from the beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter