other tablets in regards to uploading photos...

My2Girls66

DIS Veteran
I recently asked about Kindle Fire HD, now I am wondering about other tablets. Through my searching the only one I can find that I know you can upload photos directly from a camera to is the iPad/iPad mini. Does anyone know of others? Does anyone have one that they have experience with? Quite a few years ago I bought a camera connector from Apple that allowed me to upload directly from my camera to an older 30gb iPod video. Worked fine. Also, what about doing things like uploading from the tablet to Facebook, Smugmug? Basically I am looking for something to replace my laptop while traveling. Access internet, play games, use as a means to get my photos from camera to online storage, not neccesarily store them on the device as ones with large enough hard drives seem quite expensive. I was hoping for one of the $199 ones.
Any suggestions welcome. I will most likely go with iPad mini if all else doesnt work out. Or if I decide I can live with just keeping my photos in camera until I return home, Kindle Fire HD will be fine for everything else.

Or if I decide I can live with just keeping my photos in camera until I return home, Kindle Fire HD will be fine for everything else.

Personal choice, but for a variety of reason, I would never do this. I like to back up my photos (twice at that) daily. Once to an external drive and once to the hard drive on my laptop, and I still don't take anything off the memory cards until I get home. I had a corrupt card this last trip and while it was the first time in a few years this has happened, it can and does happen. It was fortunate that it was early in the day and I'd done a full back up the night before so only a handful of photos were lost but it's just not worth the risk to me.

Until a few years ago I always did just that. Waited until I got home to backup my photos. I have been lucky with my memory cards, so far:) Then I started taking my laptop and backing up every night, when I have wifi I also upload to my Smugmug for safe keeping. You never know when laptop, camera or both could be lost/stolen. We were on a bus at an airport once, my dh put himself in charge of my camera bag because I had so much other stuff to carry. It came this close to being left on that bus and probably never to be seen again! I just happened to notice it under the seat as I was getting off the bus, it got pushed under the seat. Just about everything camera related I own was in that bag. We are traveling to France in Dec to visit my dd, who got a temp job teaching English in Lyon. I was thinking a 7" tablet would be so much easier than my laptop IF I have a way of transferring my photos to a safe place. It would be super handy if there is one out there that could read a camera and an external hard drive:) Plus the added extra of having games to play on the airplane, during the layover.....and the translator app would be awesome. My French is minimal.

Does your camera use SD cards? You could get a tablet that has an SD slot. You should be able to grab jpegs off that. Apple has camera connect kit, similar to the one for the iPod, for the iPad so that's another option. You can use cloud storage (like Dropbox) to hold your files. But I'm not sure how it would handle RAW files going through the tablet though, so you may be limited to jpeg only.

But, in all honesty, I wouldn't use a tablet this way. They're slow when it comes to handling large image files. We've got an iPad, a Kindle fire and a couple of other Andriod devices in the house and I can't imagine using any of them in this way because it's just too clunky and slow. A netbook would seem to me to be a much better solution and you can get a decent one for a little more than $200. And they're really not much bigger than a tablet.

We were on a bus at an airport once, my dh put himself in charge of my camera bag because I had so much other stuff to carry. It came this close to being left on that bus and probably never to be seen again! I just happened to notice it under the seat as I was getting off the bus, it got pushed under the seat. Just about everything camera related I own was in that bag.

Thankfully at US airports there is no language barrier but in September this year I had my laptop taken at security for 'swabbing' When we got to the gate I realized they hadn't given it back, so caught up had I been in collecting all belts, shoes and checking that DD had everything :blush: I did get it back thankfully but we nearly missed our flight because of it!

I second the suggestion for a netbook. That would seem a far more practical choice to me, similar price and give you more versatility while away.

I have a new Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 that works perfectly with my Canon EOS 60D. You just need to purchase the optional USB adapter, which was less than $20. With it, I can connect the camera and pull photos directly into the tablet's gallery. I've also downloaded an app that works with Canon cameras to control the camera from the tablet. With it, I can see live view on the tablet, take photos, and change settings.

The tablet I bought even came with a tablet version of Adobe Photoshop pre-installed.

This particular tablet is more than the price range you specify, but the same USB adapter also works with the Tab 2 7.0, which is right at that price point for an 8gb model.

I have a new Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 that works perfectly with my Canon EOS 60D. You just need to purchase the optional USB adapter, which was less than $20. With it, I can connect the camera and pull photos directly into the tablet's gallery. I've also downloaded an app that works with Canon cameras to control the camera from the tablet. With it, I can see live view on the tablet, take photos, and change settings.

The tablet I bought even came with a tablet version of Adobe Photoshop pre-installed.

This particular tablet is more than the price range you specify, but the same USB adapter also works with the Tab 2 7.0, which is right at that price point for an 8gb model.

Does it allow you to view RAW files?

I took my iPad with me to WDW last month to do precisely what you want - download photos, use the internet, play games/movies for some flights. Whilst it is much easier to travel with than a laptop (lighter, don't have to take it out of your bag for airport security etc), it didn't hold very many photos. I think I got to day 3 of a 4 week vacation and it could not hold any more photos!! :worried: (I do shoot in RAW, though).
It allowed me to view the photos with no processing and I could upload to Facebook as well. But I couldn't attach a photo to an email - I tried a couple of times, but didn't perservere as I wasn't quite sure what I was looking for!!!
In summary - next time I will probably take a netbook as well!! I just need to have a little more than the iPad offered. Other than the photos, though, I did like to have it with me.
Good luck with your decision - I did waver for a long time before I decided what to do!! :rolleyes2

I actually just really want a tablet;) and thought if I could make it work, I could use it in a way that my laptop could stay home to lighten my load as the airlines are getting pickier about how much we can carry on.

I never thought of how long it would take to upload photos to a tablet from a camera, then from tablet to smugmug. If that might be an issue, maybe I will get a tablet to play with and just take my laptop. Its not like a 7" tablet added to what I usually carry on will make much difference.

Thanks for the info on the Samsung Galaxy. The 7" actually looks fine. It only has 8GB of storage but if I am not storing all my photos on there it shouldn't be a huge problem. I don't plan on using it for movies or tv shows, just a few game apps and the translator app. My camera is a Nikon D80, 10mp, I mostly use 4GB cards, occasionally 8's and shoot fine/large jpegs. I can't see myself shooting more than 4gb's in a day, maybe 2gb's then more on the nights of Fete des Lumieres Lyon- Festival of Lights- this could be dangerous:)
http://www.fetedeslumieres.lyon.fr/...Simulation&nom_tech=photos_galerie_simulation

http://www.google.com/search?num=10....733.6j2.8.0.pchsnhc..0.0...1ac.1.e9EpViotAiU

So far I have iPad/iPad mini and Samsung Galaxy Note that work.

Thanks again for the suggestions and insight:)

One thing I'd check into with a tablet, is being able to use the tablet as a middle man between your camera and for example a site like SmugMug.

I've heard it is possible to connect a camera to tablet and upload the photos directly from the camera to a website.

I haven't done this myself yet. But it would an awesome backup method.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter