• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Other Mothered - Disney Edition

Everyone who knows me knows my family and I are heading to Disney this September, and I have gotten a TON of negative comments and unwanted advice.

According to the OP, the son invited the neighbor's son. The OP didn't start the conversation about her vacation.

The way the OP started her post was that 'everybody' knows, so obviously she has spread the word! Also, don't know how old the son is, but he wouldn't have issued an invitation without me knowing/agreeing first - and considering what age - also getting parent's permission before asking child.

I don't think it is any big deal that people discuss their vacations, or even that the OP's son "invited" his friend. I can, totally, see a little boy being excited about going to Disney and saying to his friend that he should come, too, not understanding the logistics of a Disney trip. I will assume the kids are pretty young considering they are having play dates where the mother stays.

I think the issue is that both of these mothers handled the situation badly. The guest was overbearing and pushy and didn't take the hint and the OP was preachy and condescending.

For the sake of the kids I would apologize, something along the lines of, "I apologize for what I said yesterday. I realize it probably came off as condescending. It is just that we have done a lot of work planning this vacation and we are really excited about it. I hope, for the sake of the boys, that we can move past this."

Oh mylanta! I'm so sorry you're dealing with this! Ugh! We all have encountered these types, they are usually very insecure people who pride themselves on thinking they can belittle or one-up someone. In my experience, I've dealt with these types by smiling, nodding, uh-huhing everything they say and pretending to half-listen and not tell them much of any of the details of your plans (or be vague) or simply just totally ignore. Sounds like it's complicated since its your son's BF's mother. It can be hard to deal with people like that because they really can't understand logic, I think. Sometimes keeping it vague or short and sweet and acting dumb works too. That's just my 2 cents. Good luck to you. And remember it's your life, not theirs.

Work has been kicking my butt. Sorry for not responding. My son is 7, and I believe her son just turned 9. They are both special needs kids who need help with social skills. It's a blessing to my family that they found each other. My son actually plays with someone else. That's amazing lol.

I wasn't aware people impose ideas on you. Sucks but I guess that relationship is now tarnished. Here's our text exchange. I'm actually not sure what the take away is...I want to say it's not to tell people about the trip...but of course people will ask. I don't know. Maybe this was just a one off? Maybe I shouldn't tell people until the last minute lolimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Work has been kicking my butt. Sorry for not responding. My son is 7, and I believe her son just turned 9. They are both special needs kids who need help with social skills. It's a blessing to my family that they found each other. My son actually plays with someone else. That's amazing lol.

I wasn't aware people impose ideas on you. Sucks but I guess that relationship is now tarnished. Here's our text exchange. I'm actually not sure what the take away is...I want to say it's not to tell people about the trip...but of course people will ask. I don't know. Maybe this was just a one off? Maybe I shouldn't tell people until the last minute lolView attachment 178851View attachment 178852View attachment 178853View attachment 178854
Lol lol best **** ever! Ur super nice

:scared1: That was bizzare. Here you are trying to smooth things over for the sake of your boys and she's can't get past the fact you won't let her plan your vacation. I say chalk this one up to lesson learned and let things be until after your trip. IMHO, she sounds a bit sanctimonious with " the my kids ate home cooked meals" bit. Maybe she's jealous your family is staying on site? :confused3

Asking for your reservation number? That isn't just nosy, that's suspicious.

I'm sorry, it sounds like this friend has been great for your son. I wish I had some advice to give, other than "steer clear"!

How dare you not give her your info so that she can plan your trip. Your kids can not be friends unless you spend the money to relive her vacation. She has been there 2 TIMES, she's an expert for heaven sakes and you need to do it exactly how she tells you to, you ungrateful brat, you. Omg, drop her and have fun, I'm sure your plans will be better anyway. What a nutcase. Unles you find that as funny as I do as an outsider, you may want to cut your losses.

I have no idea how tight things are to make this not happen. But I'd probably put a call into Disney. I'm worried she's going to try to pretend to be you and somehow change stuff. Better to be safe

Oh my goodness! That was just bizarre.

Well, at least you tried. She, obviously, has some issues. Just move on. Laugh it off and have a great trip.

I would stay very far away from her. You were kind and apologetic in your text. She sound like she has some mental issues. I'm sure your trip will be 100% better than hers simply because she isn't taking the trip with you.

That is borderline psychotic. Get away and stay away. I have very rarely seen a more bizarre text message - you were way too nice. Tell the nosy witch that she is not getting your reservation number (who asks for that anyway?!) and going twice does not make her the be-all end-all of Disney planning. I'm sorry for your son's sake, but I would nip that friendship in the bud. She is more than a few fries short of a Happy Meal.

Sometimes when people show you their real side it's best to believe it and walk away. She sounds seriously unhinged.

Everybody vacations differently and it's OK.

Really, I would stay far away from this nutcase.

I agree with others. It is unfortunate for your son, but she seems a little....off. It's probably best that your son not be around her anyway. Something really seems to be wrong with her...

I can't imagine that her house is a healthy environment for your son-- or hers either, but that's a different issue.

I agree that the Bible verse was a huge error, but that's done. In her shoes, I would have left there and then.

Her vindictiveness in the emails, her joy at predicting that you'll have a horrible time-- none of these bode well for an afternoon there for your son.

Let it blow over. And let her decide that her son needs a playmate down the road... or not. The boys can still be friends at school.

Last edited:
Okay. I will disagree with everyone. She acted badly, but preaching a bible verse at someone is condescending. It really is the definition of "holier than thou."
You are not disagreeing with everyone, I agree with you completely.

OP needs to reevaluate if the friend was mad because she didn't take her Disney advice or if she was really disturbed by the injection of bible verses.

The friend was about as rude as can be. But so were you.

Unless we are in a religious setting like bible study or church, anyone who starts spouting bible verses to me during a discussion, especially to reprimand me, has ended our friendship and my children would no longer be allowed to associate with the family.

image-png.178854

As for the text messages, the last text has me wondering. She asks "who is this? I don't have this number saved" Is there a chance she thought you were somebody else? Hardly likely since you mentioned your son's name, but is there a chance she was asked to help somebody else and now thought she was being brushed off?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter