other cruises

angela barklow

Earning My Ears
What other cruises have you been on that are kid friendly? We would love to go on another cruise but aren't sure if we will be able to afford a Disney Cruise. We have three DD's 11,8, and 3. How do they compare with Disney's services? (ex. do they are baby siting?, activities for the children?) I would like to know before we take our first Disney cruise in Sept.

RCI= Royal Caribbean

We've been on RCI and Norwegian (older ships, not the new ones). The main differences: On DCL, the kids clubs are open continuously, and there is no charge for the clubs. On RCI and NCL, the kids clubs open and close at about 3 hour intervals, so you have to do a good bit of clock watching. They also charge after 10 pm--usually about $5 pre hour per kid (there may be a break for multiple kids, not sure).

On our RCI cruise (Radiance), and on our NCL cruises, the kids club was fairly small in space, so they did a lot of traveling over the ship with the kids using the bars, lounges, restaurants, etc.

I thought the NCL cruise grouped too many ages together--DD at 12 would have been lumped with the 6 years olds for part of the time, and the stuff they offered seems really too young for her. She liked RCI, but I thought the supervision was a little lax.

On paper HAL kids clubs appeared similar, and about the same hours, and free. Difference is they move to different public rooms throughout the day, they don't have a kids only room. I say on paper, but my kids found the offerings in the Kids Clubs on both HAL and DISNEY boring compared to all the other options, so they never went.

I should also point out, we traveled in June, while school kids are on vacation. Not as many kids as Disney, maybe half as many. However, a friend went on the same ship in April when kids were still in school , and he didn't see any kids. Disney parents seem more inclined to take kids out of school for vacations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter