Other Cruise Lines

WeLuvDisney All6ofUs

Earning My Ears
Hi
My family and I have been on three DCL cruises. Just recently returned from the 10 day Southern Carrib on the Wonder. We had an awesome time. We normally take advantage of the onboard booking incentives, however this year we couldn't decide what we wanted to do, so we didn't rebook. My children are 19, 13, 12 and 9. I have been thinking about trying RCCL FOS, but I just really love the whole pixie dust feeling of Disney. Just looking for some feed back from someone who has done both, did you miss the Disney feeling? Do other cruises feel as magical as Disney? Also my DH and I were thinking of trying another line just for the two of us, before investing all that money for the whole family to see what we think, any suggestions on this would be very helpful also.

Darlene

We are Disney-adicts and are taking our 5th DCL cruise in 2007. However, if you asked my 14 year old she liked the teen programs on our Princess cruises as much or more - plus she is a very adventurous eater and likes the food much more on Princess. Our two favorite cruises were Alaska on the Star Princess and a 10 night Panama Canal on the Coral Princess. We don't care for the ships that have over 3000 people! Just my two cents.

:Pinkbounc

WeLuvDisney All6ofUs said:
Hi
My family and I have been on three DCL cruises. Just recently returned from the 10 day Southern Carrib on the Wonder. We had an awesome time. We normally take advantage of the onboard booking incentives, however this year we couldn't decide what we wanted to do, so we didn't rebook. My children are 19, 13, 12 and 9. I have been thinking about trying RCCL FOS, but I just really love the whole pixie dust feeling of Disney. Just looking for some feed back from someone who has done both, did you miss the Disney feeling? Do other cruises feel as magical as Disney? Also my DH and I were thinking of trying another line just for the two of us, before investing all that money for the whole family to see what we think, any suggestions on this would be very helpful also.

Darlene

I've sailed both Disney and Royal Caribbean, and though I've thoroughly enjoyed my Royal Caribbean cruises, I always miss being on the Wonder or Magic. I miss the energy and sense of excitement I get when boarding a DCL ship. I miss the deck parties, the fireworks, the split bathrooms - I even miss the sound of the ship's horn. If the Magic or Wonder are in port when I'm aboard a Royal Caribbean ship I always find myself envious of the folks on the DCL ship.

I will continue to alternately sail with Royal Caribbean, because, as I said, I truly enjoy those cruises. RCI has some great things going for it on board and you won't be dissappointed with an RCI cruise. But for me, no, I don't get the same feeling on RCI that I get when doing a Disney cruise.

Your response is very helpful. I kind of figured that would be the answer. I think I will try RCI but I will always come back to DCL. Just the thought of not having a DCL future cruise booked has got me shakin. It brings out the kid in me I guess. I love the whole magical feeling of being surrounded by pixie dust.

I think something to ask yourself is do you want to take a cruise, or do you want Disney.

We have sailed DCL, Celebrity, and RCCL. We loved all of them, but for different reasons! You definitely pay for Disney, but it's fun to splurge on other lines, and live it up! We had a royal suite on Celebrity when our kids were 1 & 3, we did a junior suite on RCCL when it was just DH & I, for a lot less $$ than DCL.

For comparison, for basically the same time of year, 2 adults, 2 kids, we had a royal suite (2nd largest stateroom, two separate rooms, dining area, balcony, butler) on Celebrity for 11 nights to the Panama Canal for the same price as a Cat. 6 regular 7 night Eastern Itinerary on DCL! GULP!!!

But, we're back on DCL in February!! :Pinkbounc

I am going through the same feelings, we are going on the Magic in February 2007, and I am already thinking about 2008, I am looking at RCCL Mariner of the Sea, my girls are 9 and 11 right now, and I think that they would really like the Mariner, I just don't want the entire vacation to wish that I was on the Magic. The prices are appealing.......

I have sailed RCCL and Carnival and can honestly say I will probably never go on Carnival again, but I did enjoy my RCCL cruise... if you asked me who I liked best, Disney hands down, but there is a lot of competition in the cruise industry, so take advantage of it I say. DCL is great, it's my first choice, and what I always lean too, but its also not going anywhere.

Other lines have some great itinerary options that unfortunately DCL currently doesn't have. Honestly, probably the only reason I would go to another line.. namely to see Hawaii or Alaska. So I am excited to hear all these rumors. I really think there will be an annoucement next year for DCL's 10th anniversary, of a 3rd ship. So hopeful it's a westcoast cruise, featuring one of the above.

Your teens might enjoy RCCL... if they are active.. it has a lot going for it. You will definitely enjoy yourselves... and can always sail DCL again in the future.

I just returned from a 9 day Princess trip. My kids are 10 and 7, and enjoyed themselves A LOT...I would venture to say my son10 enjoyed himself more this time, ase he is getting older, and this offered some different options for tweens...My daughter7 enjoyed herself also, but she truly has a different personality. She has the great ability to make her own fun. I would say the pools were larger than Disney, and more of them, but on our sailing, there were 51 children, so MANY more adults. Some were stick in the muds too..lol.. Excuse my opinion on this, but they were..

As I told my children, we make our own fun, it was not Disney, but gret fun, very different, and for the price difference, and the ability for us to drive to the port, I would do it again in a heartbeat... :goodvibes

disneygatorfan said:
I have sailed RCCL and Carnival and can honestly say I will probably never go on Carnival again, but I did enjoy my RCCL cruise... if you asked me who I liked best, Disney hands down, but there is a lot of competition in the cruise industry, so take advantage of it I say. DCL is great, it's my first choice, and what I always lean too, but its also not going anywhere.

Other lines have some great itinerary options that unfortunately DCL currently doesn't have. Honestly, probably the only reason I would go to another line.. namely to see Hawaii or Alaska. So I am excited to hear all these rumors. I really think there will be an annoucement next year for DCL's 10th anniversary, of a 3rd ship. So hopeful it's a westcoast cruise, featuring one of the above.

Your teens might enjoy RCCL... if they are active.. it has a lot going for it. You will definitely enjoy yourselves... and can always sail DCL again in the future.

We have done The disney cruise twice and carnival once. I must say I was pleasantly suprised by Carnival. Don't misunderstand me it was not Disney, but at half the price we had a great time. Not nearly the drunken party I feared. Our table mates were lovely and overall we had a great time. Actually, I am looking forward to trying other cruise ships. I love Disney but if I am going to spend that much money I would rather be in the parks. Going to try other cruises to see how they stack up. There are so many options can't wait to try something else.

i have been on 2 disney cruises and absolutly loved them. i am currently booked on a rcc explorer of the seas on 6/2007. i'm trying my best not to compare everything to disney but i'm already a little dissapointed with the boards. disney boards are full of questions and answers. everything you could possible need to know. i do not find that with the rccl boards. people don't respond back for weeks. does anyone have a site where the info is up to date on rccl? ya see, i already am looking forward to booking with disney again!!

Not to hijack the thread but do you have to pay for the kids clubs and activites on the other cruise lines? Dh and I had only cruised carnival pre-child and never paid attention before.

cabbie said:
i have been on 2 disney cruises and absolutly loved them. i am currently booked on a rcc explorer of the seas on 6/2007. i'm trying my best not to compare everything to disney but i'm already a little dissapointed with the boards. disney boards are full of questions and answers. everything you could possible need to know. i do not find that with the rccl boards. people don't respond back for weeks. does anyone have a site where the info is up to date on rccl? ya see, i already am looking forward to booking with disney again!!

Have you been to Cruise Critic? I found the RCI board there to be very active: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

We have nothing but good things to say about Celebrity - had two fantastic cruises with them. I've never been on Carnival, but family members who had were not very happy with their trips and wouldn't use them again. You never know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter