OT: Winnipeg hotels?

SaskDisNut

DIS Veteran
Does anyone in Winnipeg or anyone who has stayed at a hotel in Winnipeg have any suggestions for a decent, clean hotel to stay at? DW and I have to make a trip to Winnipeg on short notice on Sunday and could use some good DISer advice.

I'll give you a bit of background. DW is the bone marrow donor for her sister who has leukemia. We knew that we would have to make a couple of trips to Winnipeg, where the transplant will take place, for some medical tests for DW and then the actual donation/transplant itself but weren't sure of the dates. We found out today that DW needs to be in Winnipeg Monday morning for the tests. And then we will make another trip for a few days for the transplant in the middle of May. We will be driving from Regina so staying at west end hotel would probably be preferable but also someplace relatively close to the Health Sciences Centre - 15-20 minutes away or so would be fine. We might not bring the kids with us on this trip but for the second one we will, so a hotel with pool &/or waterslide would probably be preferable.

Thanks. :)

Kelly

The Viscount Gort hotel is on Portage avenue at route 90 and the Clarion hotel on Portage ave and Empress are both within walking distance of polo park shopping centre and about a 10 minute drive to The HSC. Both hotels have swimming pools with slides. We have stayed at the Clarion and it was a good experience. The adults found the pool temp to be a bit low but the kids thought it was just fine. There is also a holiday inn further west on portage which also has a pool and slide but you would be adding to your HSC commute, maybe 20 minutes from there. HTH and good luck!

No hotel advice to give but I wanted to wish your wife and her sister all the best.
Your wife is very generous.

Good luck to everyone and drive safe.:)

We have stayed at the Clarion. It's only a few years old. We found it very clean, and if your are so inclined, the spa at the hotel is supposed to be very good.

I hope everything goes well on the testing and the transplant.

I also would recommend the Clarion, DD loved the slide, there is a Pancake House attached, an Earl's, Red lobster, Olive Garden , Montana's, you get the picture all within walking distance. Also for the kids there is a Silver City Theatre, you can walk to and depending on the time Winnipeg Stadium is also right there.

No hotel advice to give but I wanted to wish your wife and her sister all the best.
Your wife is very generous.

Good luck to everyone and drive safe.:)

Thanks for the well wishes. It is much appreciated. DW is so happy to be able to do this for her sister.

And it is good to see another one of us Sask. people on the boards. :thumbsup2

Thanks b-1, cpbjgc, and mejaie for suggesting the Clarion. I had a look at the reviews on tripadvisor.com and they are pretty good. And it is in a very good location in relation to the HSC. We will probably stay there for our May trip when the transplant takes place and we bring the kids. We'll need a good place to relax with all that will be going on during those days. The pool and waterslide will be a big hit.

For this weekend, since it is just an overnight whirlwind trip for DW and I, we will probably stay somewhere else but we're not sure yet. The Greenwood Inn near the airport looks pretty good as well.

Thanks again!:thanks:

I recently stayed at the Winnipeg Clarion in (Feb 2008) and would definitely recommend it. It is a clean hotel, friendly staff, close to the airport and mall, has indoor waterslide and spa.
the website is clarionhotelwinnipeg.com

We have stayed at the Clarion numerous times for a weekend getaway kind of trip. We have also stayed at the Greenwood, we stayed there the night of our wedding, so the place holds special meaning! You could also try the Canad Inns, they are quite nice as well.

My thoughts are with you and your sister as you go through your journey!!:flower3:

We have stayed at the Clarion numerous times for a weekend getaway kind of trip. We have also stayed at the Greenwood, we stayed there the night of our wedding, so the place holds special meaning! You could also try the Canad Inns, they are quite nice as well.

My thoughts are with you and your sister as you go through your journey!!:flower3:

More votes for the Clarion! We'll book there for our trip in May.

Thanks for the well wishes too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter