OT-Williamsburg

cougar4camping

Still dreamin'
This is off topic, I'm sorry. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a nice campground in the Williamsburg area. We have a 5er but we also need to find a campground that has rentals for the rest of the family. We are planning on being there a week.

Thanks for any advice!

It was several years ago when we went there. A lot could have changed since then. We stayed at Williamsburg Potter Campground. It was OK. :rolleyes:

We drove down on a Friday night and slept in the camper in Jamestown's parking lot. Jamestown Beach was across the road. It looked nice but did not go in it. I would have enjoyed staying there just because it is across the street from Jamestown. We really enjoy it there. :woohoo:

We only spent the weekend at Williamsburg, then went to Virgina Beach for the rest of the week. :goodvibes

Hope this helps!

:tink:

We stayed at the Jamestown beach campground about 5 yrs ago and thought it was one of the dumpiest run down places we have ever been.
Everything was quite old and the site we were in was little more than a spot in the field with hookups. Other than its location it had nothing to offer.
It was a great location and probably could have been a very nice place with an owner that took pride in their place.

Scott

From what I've seen and heard, there are KOA's in Williamsburg and they're probably your best bet. We stayed at Anvil campground two years ago and while the campground was fairly nice, they don't do rentals and there is a very busy railroad track right beside the place. When I say busy, I mean busy. When I say "right beside the place", I mean "right beside the place". Coal trains from West Virginia run through there probably 7-8 times a day and night. Then the occasional Amtrak comes screamin' through 2 or 3 times as well.

Sure, smashing pennies on the tracks is fun for a few cents, but when you wake up at 3:00 am with the camper literally shaking like a bad New York apartment beside the subway, you think to yourself, "What the heck are we doing here?" :confused:

We have also stayed at the KOA's both many times, there are 2 right next door to each other. The Central one has more trees, but both were nice they do have cabins for rentals. I will tell you make sure you make reservations. This is the year of the BIG Jamestown 400 year celebration, it is coming up soon in the next few weeks. It is a very big deal. The KOA's are more expensive than other campgrounds in the area, but we go often and like to rely on them. Hope it helps.

While in Williamsburg we stay at American Heritage. Very nice quiet campground. It gets high ratings on another online RVing site. I'm not certain of this years rates, but it was alot cheaper than KOA's the last time we stayed. Many years ago we stayed at the Pottery Campground.......but 2 yrs ago we drove thru it and couldnt believe how much it had run down.

We stay at the American Heritage campground when we visit Williamsburg, we will be there next weekend. The park is clean, very quite, and provides full hook ups and I believe all sites are pull through. The rate is about $35 a night.

Another vote for American Heritage here. We've stayed there twice and highly recommend it. We drove through the others mentioned earlier in this thread and we preferred American Heritage. It is spacious, quiet, clean, and it was a nice, easy drive to all of the places of interest.

I'm glad to hear the American Heritage got some good reviews because that is actually where we have reservations. I didn't mention it because I didn't want to sway any opinions. Thank you for all your replies. At least now I know which parks to stay away from. :)

Thanks again!

Sorry this has nothing to do with camping :goodvibes but I just saw a super special for Williamsburg airfare on AirTran and thought I'd post it here, just in case someone looking for info on Williamsburg clicked on this thread:

$16.07* to Newport News/Williamsburg!

To celebrate the 400th anniversary of the 1607 settlement of Jamestown, we're offering a special $16.07 sale fare* for travel into Newport News (just down the river from Jamestown) from the following cities: Atlanta, Boston, Ft. Lauderdale, New York (LaGuardia) and Orlando.

Purchase tickets by April 30, 2007.
Travel between May 8 and May 22, 2007.
Travel valid only on nonstop flights to Newport News/Williamsburg on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from the following cities: Atlanta, Boston, Ft. Lauderdale, New York (LaGuardia) and Orlando.
14-day advance purchase required.
Maybe someone can use it or pass it on :)

I live in Hampton Va, work in Williamsburg VA. I actually sold some stuff to the gentleman whose family owned the Jamestown campgrounds this winter.
Jamestown campgrounds use to be privately owned. Last year the city of Williamsburg bought them out. I would guess it was to make them nicer, or eventually build there, but also to have more control of the area with the big Jamestown 400th anniversary this May. (May I add that will be the most insane weekend on earth as its also mothers day, and the LPGA at Kingsmill)
I personally haven't driven out there since the Scottish festival this fall but I've been told its getting cleaned up. Also the beach there is great. Fresh water, not salt or brackish.
Also you can camp at Newport News park, about 5-10 min down the highway. And as I've learned with an Aunt and Uncle who RV we have Walmarts, and they let you RV there and theres a great new Walmart in Williamsburg on the pottery side of town.
Anvil does have the train tracks right behind them and their commercial/amtrack used and theres coal fields down the way near the ship yard so theres a lot of use. But they are right there at Airport and 60.
Also a side note the new Busch Gardens ride Griffin opens at the end of the May so the park is gonna be SLAMMED.

I live in Hampton Va, work in Williamsburg VA. I actually sold some stuff to the gentleman whose family owned the Jamestown campgrounds this winter.
Jamestown campgrounds use to be privately owned. Last year the city of Williamsburg bought them out. I would guess it was to make them nicer, or eventually build there, but also to have more control of the area with the big Jamestown 400th anniversary this May. (May I add that will be the most insane weekend on earth as its also mothers day, and the LPGA at Kingsmill)
I personally haven't driven out there since the Scottish festival this fall but I've been told its getting cleaned up. Also the beach there is great. Fresh water, not salt or brackish.
Also you can camp at Newport News park, about 5-10 min down the highway. And as I've learned with an Aunt and Uncle who RV we have Walmarts, and they let you RV there and theres a great new Walmart in Williamsburg on the pottery side of town.
Anvil does have the train tracks right behind them and their commercial/amtrack used and theres coal fields down the way near the ship yard so theres a lot of use. But they are right there at Airport and 60.
Also a side note the new Busch Gardens ride Griffin opens at the end of the May so the park is gonna be SLAMMED.

It would be nice to see that campground redeveloped, it is a nice area and convenient to many things.

Scott

It would be nice to see that campground redeveloped, it is a nice area and convenient to many things.

Scott

Absolutely. We stayed there when I was a kid (back in the dark ages :lmao: ) and it was wonderful, but recent reports on IRV2.com and others say to stay elsewhere. We have reservations for late June at one of the KOA's.

Also, if you are going to be in the area for a while, and you belong to AAA, you can get a ticket called the Busch Gardens Vacation Pass (7 consecutive days of unlimited admission to Busch Gardens and Water Country USA) for $70 per person. They are $79.95 on the BG web site but that is still a great deal. We bought ours the other day at AAA :banana: :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter