OT Wicked: The Musical

Thanks for all the info! I will definitely NOT read the book before we go, but I suspect I'll be running out to get it afterwards, just to see what else there is to the story!

Hmm... with all the people going to see Wicked in Toronto, maybe I should wear my Lime Green Mickey ears?? :rotfl:
Anyone else going to be there for the last show? (Nov. 26th 2pm).

Just wondering if anyone has ever ordered a Wicked Karaoke CD? Belleincanada, you seem to be a wealth of Wicked info? There is no place locally that sells Karaoke anymore (other than the silly department store ones... Pop girlie stuff or Twinkle Twinkle... you get the picture) so I guess I would have to order on online. Anyone have one to recommend? I am also very nervous about getting stung with customs brokerage fees. For example, my SIL from South Dakota sent me a package of skin cream and bath oil that she recommends for our itchy eczematous 8 year old. The parcel was valued at $50 US and we got stung by UPS for a further $38 brokerage fees. Why she didn't just send it in the mail I will never know. But anyhoo... I am paranoid of ordering from the States now. Any advice or suggestions? :confused3

You can get the Karaoke CD to Wicked at Song and Script in Toronto on Bay Street, right at Bloor. I'm not sure if you live in Toronto, but that is definitely where you can get it. :)

By the way twinz, I read your tag, were you the one that posted about the new show Runaway starring Donnie Wahlberg?[/QUOTE]

Yeah that was us... :lovestruc he's a great guy and the show is awesome...I just would hate to see it not be given a chance!

Thanks for the input Belleincanada! Unfortunately we are in B.C. but I will keep looking. The next time we are in Vancouver I will try to hunt it down!!!! :thumbsup2

I went to see Wicked yesterday afternoon and totally LOVED it! I've heard much of the music before and it was nice to see what was happening during those numbers. The story line was great, as was the humour and emotional parts.

The theatre was almost full from the looks of it and I got the impression that many had seen it before with all the prompt cheering going on at different parts.

The special effect at the end of Part 1 was so cool!!

Good! I'm a little relieved. I'm sort of forcing DH to go. So on top of my worry as to whether he would like it, I was starting to wonder about whether I would like it myself.

It sounds weird, but I had a hard time dis-associating Lion King the musical from Lion King the movie.

Next question, are there any really good restaurants in the area? One of the partners that I work for told me to go and have a really good meal and charge it back to the firm. We thought about the CN Tower, but I think it is too far away. Any suggestions? Oh yeah, we're really picky eaters (ie we don't eat any seafood on top of many other things).

Thanks,

mdennylusk said:
Next question, are there any really good restaurants in the area? One of the partners that I work for told me to go and have a really good meal and charge it back to the firm. We thought about the CN Tower, but I think it is too far away. Any suggestions? Oh yeah, we're really picky eaters (ie we don't eat any seafood on top of many other things).

Thanks,

If you don't get any recommendations, there is a listing on the Mirvish website.
http://www.mirvish.com/WineDineGuide/

Just be careful, the Canon theatre is at the bottom of the list. We went through them all, read all their websites, finally picked out a yummy sounding one and THEN discovered that it was close to the Royal Alex instead and we would have to drive to it from the Canon! :rotfl:

We think we are going to get a day pass and take the subway. Anyone ever been to Dhaba Indian Excellence on King Street West?

mdennylusk said:
Good! I'm a little relieved. I'm sort of forcing DH to go. So on top of my worry as to whether he would like it, I was starting to wonder about whether I would like it myself.

It sounds weird, but I had a hard time dis-associating Lion King the musical from Lion King the movie.

Thanks,

Well, the Eaton Centre is directly across from the Canon, and there are two nice sit-down restaurants. There's Mr. Greenjeans (which just got renovated, it's actually quite pretty... reminds me a bit of the Crystal Palace), and there's another restaurant below Mr. Greenjeans which looks a little more expensive, and I've only been there for cocktails, but I remember it being beautiful.

Hope that helps a bit!

...And here's a 15% off coupon for Mr. Greenjeans :goodvibes
http://www.fabuloussavings.com/mrgreenjeans/ (You can view their website menu on there too)

I'm not in Canada, but I LOVE Wicked!!!! I saw it for the first time in January in Chicago. AMAZING!!! We were lucky enough to see it when Ana Gasteyer and Kate Reinders were still there. Ana was awesome as Elphaba. She really delivered the funny sarcastic lines well. We saw it again when the tour came to Detroit. The Fiyero we saw was soooo hot. Its not the same one now. :( I liked Kate better than the Glinda we saw. The night we went it was Victoria Matlock as Elphaba and she did a good job. I would love to see Idina as Elphaba.

If you miss it in Canada, go see it in Chicago! The theater there is amazing! I know they are showing it through the early part of February. They've extended the run there several times.

I read the book before seeing the musical. I wasn't sure what Wicked really was so I wanted to read the book first. Its good. It definitely isn't for everyone. There is a lot of symbolism in it that I don't think some people get. Even in the play I don't think that everyone "gets" some of the symbolism. The sequel, "Son of a witch" is also good, but I just don't think it answers all the questions and am hoping that Gregory Maguire will write a third book that truly answers the lingering questions.

The musical is WONDERFUL though. And no, that was not a song que! ;)

Edit: I looked and both Ana and Kate are in the broadway cast in New York. That is awesome. They were terrific together when we saw them in Chicago.

It was awesome :thumbsup2 ,

no wait............

it was WICKED :rotfl2:

I would love to see it again :dance3:

iluvwesties aka Carol :wave2:

Yzerbear19 said:
I'm not in Canada, but I LOVE Wicked!!!! I saw it for the first time in January in Chicago. AMAZING!!! We were lucky enough to see it when Ana Gasteyer and Kate Reinders were still there. Ana was awesome as Elphaba. She really delivered the funny sarcastic lines well. We saw it again when the tour came to Detroit. The Fiyero we saw was soooo hot. Its not the same one now. :( I liked Kate better than the Glinda we saw. The night we went it was Victoria Matlock as Elphaba and she did a good job. I would love to see Idina as Elphaba.

If you miss it in Canada, go see it in Chicago! The theater there is amazing! I know they are showing it through the early part of February. They've extended the run there several times.

The musical is WONDERFUL though. And no, that was not a song que! ;)

Edit: I looked and both Ana and Kate are in the broadway cast in New York. That is awesome. They were terrific together when we saw them in Chicago.

Idina is doing Elphaba in the UK right now. I'm going to see her in December.

I saw Kate Reinders too, and loved her! But not as much as I love Kristin Chenoweth or Megan Hilty.

And just to reiterate - if you get a chance, go see it in New York! It's unbelievable, and both Ana and Kate are in right now.

We saw it last week and loved it. I thought Glinda was stronger than Elpahaba but I think I am biased from listening to Idina Menzel on the soundtrack.

We also went down to Seattle to see it. WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!! DD (10) and I knew the soundtrack off by heart and had been waiting for it to come this way! Also huge musical theatre fans, my heart stopped when I heard it was hitting Seattle! I was online at the presale and got great seats. We had a blast and can't wait to see it again. It is now going to be in LA for a long run, and hoping to make a trip down there around it at some point next summer. I took DD backstage after and she got to meet Elphie & Glinda and she thought I was the coolest mom ever for doing that! LOL!

Thanks to everyone's awesome reviews of Wicked, a couple of co-workers and I have decided to do a "girls weekend getaway" at the end of November to see it. We're sooo excited! :banana: What's better than a couple of girlfriends, no kids or husbands, a good musical, a little shopping, eating some good food and drinking a little wine :teeth:
I'm sure we're gonna love it!

We went to see it last night, and oh my God!! What an incredible show! It exceeded all my expectations. I found that the show and the book were so different it was like two different stories. Both very good, but very different. I wish I was going again!

WOOHOO 5 MORE SLEEPS!!! :yay:

I can not wait!! :cheer2:

"Pink goes good with green!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter