OT Wicked: The Musical

crazymama

DIS Veteran
:thumbsup2 Just saw this show this weekend. I loved loved loved it!! We live in the Okanagan Valley of B.C. so had to drive to Seattle but it was worth it. (Did I mention that I loved it?) If you lucky Torontonians can get a ticket I highly recommend it! The music is wonderful... you won't get "Defying Gravity" or "The Wizard and I" out of you head for awhile. I hope that it someday comes to Vancouver so that we get a second chance to see it. I have been a musical theatre buff all my life... seen many shows from New York to London and lots of places in between but I have NEVER heard a crowd go ballistic for a show like they did for this one. I think it helps that the two leads are fantastic and from the Seattle area and Oregon. I thought that the theatre was going to levitate off its foundations at the end. Wow. :bounce:

I wholehearted agree! :thumbsup2

We saw it the first time it came to TO and have bought tickets already for the next time!

It's definately worth the price of admission!

If anyone wants to know ANYTHING about Wicked, you can ask me! I may or may not have seen the show 4 times.... *whistles* I basically know the entire soundtrack, the script... everything really. To be Galinda in Wicked is also basically my life goal.

I've been obsessed with the show for over two years - and trust me, being a musical theatre buff as well... I haven't met a SINGLE person who's seen Wicked who has not liked it. Wicked is for everyone.

I do happen to know though that tickets aren't selling very well right now for its return to Toronto - so support the theatre and get out to see it! You'll be happy you did.

I have wondered about this show, it sounds good. Thanks for the review. If you read this cdnprincecharming (my dh), wouldn't this make a wonderful night out for us :goodvibes

This is my absolute FAVOURITE musical and I'm going to see it again November 4th here in T.O. and I can not wait! :cheer2:

"Pink goes good with green!" :thumbsup2

we have tickets for wicked in to on oct 21, we bought them last feb, we are driving up from rochester ny. we are staying at the toronto hilton, i am sorry to hear tickets are not selling well? any reason why?

I did not want to miss Wicked again, and am going to the matinee on October 11! If I waited for DH, I still wouldn't be going, so I'm going solo. Really looking forward to it! I love musical theatre!

We saw it last year in T.O. and are going back the day after we get back from WDW. Loved it!

We are going for the final show in Toronto, the Sunday Matinee Nov. 26th.
I'm so glad to hear it is good!
We had a look at the ticket site, just sort of thinking about buying tickets and the "best available seats" came up as second row in the Mezzanie (or first row floor, but I thought that was TOO close! We HAD to buy them, with seats that good! We had 3 minutes to decide, and I don't like deciding things that fast. I like to research, ask around, you know, that's why I'm here! :rotfl:

I have a question for those that have seen it though:
Read the book before I go, or after? (The one Wicked is based on, I've already read the other one! :teeth: )

Read the book before I go, or after?

MOST DEFINITELY AFTER!!! :thumbsup2

I know that 9 times out of 10; 'the book is better then the movie'...not in this case.

The book is nothing like the musical - it's much darker and more adult. Go see the musical first, as it displays a MUCH better story of how the characters from the Wizard of Oz came to be.

Had I read the book first; I probably would of never wanted to see the musical...

:thumbsup2 I completely agree. I didn't read the book first because I didn't get around to it. Glad I didn't. I love the little twists and turns the show made and the book would have ruined that for me. Those who have seen it know what I am talking about :rolleyes1 It is so good. As long as you know the basics of The Wizard of Oz you will enjoy the subtle humour and inside jokes! Have fun!

I read the book after. It is very different, much darker and more "adult". Like crazymama said too there are some neat "twists" that you wouldn't want to have ruined.

glad to hear that the musical is good. It's too expensive for our family so only DD and my DW can go.

My son was a big Wizard of Oz fan when he was 4. Now that he is 9 would anyone recommend taking him or is it more for girls.

As soon as I saw this post I was thinking DON'T READ THE BOOK, Don't READ THE BOOK. I also saw the musical before I read the book...thank goodness, cause like many of you I would not have wanted to go and see it. The book was VERY hard to get into and hard to follow. Personally I wouldn;t even read the book after you see the play, just a waste of time if you ask me.

Now I'm worrried! I read the book and LOVED it. 2 hours after I finished the book I ordered tickets to see the show in TO on Oct 27th. I've assumed that there will be some differences because the book is very "adult", but now I'm worried that I won't like the show at all.

By the way twinz, I read your tag, were you the one that posted about the new show Runaway starring Donnie Wahlberg?

Don't worry you will love the show!! It's obviously much more condensed than the book but the music, costumes and staging are amazing.

From a very knowledgable Wicked fan, I will say this...

The book is not for everyone, the musical IS. It doesn't matter if you're a boy, a girl, age 5 or age 99... there is not ONE person I've talked to who's seen the show who has not absolutely loved it. I'm not lying.

The book is darker, and some people love it. I fell in love with the musical first, so reading the book was interesting for me. I liked it - but they're almost like two different stories. I do not compare the show to the book at all. If you love the book, you'll love the show, and if you didn't like the book, you'll still love the show.

Go see it!

I was lucky enough to get through to EZ Rock 97.3 a little while ago and managed to win 2 tickets to WICKED for October 18th :cheer2:

I can't wait to go :banana:

Happy to read all these good reviews :thumbsup2

iluvwesties (aka Carol) :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter