OT: Were any of your DD's afraid of dolls?

ssawka

DIS Veteran
My DD (9, special needs) is afraid of dolls. Not all dolls, just ones with hair. She used to shy away from them when she was much younger, but we thought she had gotten over it. So, we got her a Princess & Me Ariel doll because she is in :lovestruc with the little mermaid. This was in Nov. for her birthday. Anyway, when she opened it she got so scared that she ran away from it. Well, we didn't return it thinking she would "grow into it". It has sat in our dining room for over a month still in its packaging. DD will look at it from a far and every day she gets closer and closer to it, but if you ask her if she wants us to take Ariel out, she says "NO!"

Now, here's the kicker. Yesterday DW took DD to the Disney Store to return a gift, and while in the store DD insisted that she wanted a Jasmine "barbie-like" doll, so DW bought it for her. When I got home I took the doll out of the packaging, but now DD wants nothing to do with it. :confused:

Anyway, have any of you ever experiences something similar, and if so, how did you handle it?

My daughter was always scared of toys that talked! Sometimes toys that moved (ie, trains). She did grow out of it. I'm guessing constant exposure over the years. Kind of hard to avoid.

My DD (9, special needs) is afraid of dolls. Not all dolls, just ones with hair. She used to shy away from them when she was much younger, but we thought she had gotten over it. So, we got her a Princess & Me Ariel doll because she is in :lovestruc with the little mermaid. This was in Nov. for her birthday. Anyway, when she opened it she got so scared that she ran away from it. Well, we didn't return it thinking she would "grow into it". It has sat in our dining room for over a month still in its packaging. DD will look at it from a far and every day she gets closer and closer to it, but if you ask her if she wants us to take Ariel out, she says "NO!"

Now, here's the kicker. Yesterday DW took DD to the Disney Store to return a gift, and while in the store DD insisted that she wanted a Jasmine "barbie-like" doll, so DW bought it for her. When I got home I took the doll out of the packaging, but now DD wants nothing to do with it. :confused:

Anyway, have any of you ever experiences something similar, and if so, how did you handle it?
My daughter couldnt have any of her toys "looking" at her at night. She had to have all the dolls and stuffed animals face down or facing away from her when she went to be. She is twenty and she still gets freaked out a bit by them. No advice for you other than to let your daughter take the lead on this one. She can still enjoy those toys by looking at them without having to touch them. If her comfort level increases she may eventually pick them up. Just keep doing what you are doing.

When my son was in preschool the little girl at the next cubby had a doll with the eyes that open and shut. When he was getting his coat on one day the doll fell on the floor and the (one working) eye opened. He was terrified! He's 13 now and still sort of freaked out by those doll eyes!

My older DD was afraid of some stuffed animals around her first birthday. She got over that one on her own (turning 7 in 2 weeks and sleeps with a dozen animals every night)

The one thing I had to condition her to get used to was a garbage can :confused3

When she was little she went to work with me every day, and we had a black garbage can with a swinging lid on it. She FREAKED out every time someone would touch the lid. Over about 3 weeks, I would hold her tight in my arms, and gradually get closer to the can. When she would be calm at that distance, I would move closer. Finally we got to where I was able to move the lid. After about 3 weeks, she finally started swinging the lid herself (and then she was over there constantly LOL)

I think your daughter has already started doing this herself, with gradually inching closer. It could take a long time, since she is older and of course has a longer memory and more active imagination. I would suggest you just leave the dolls out where she will see them often, and see if she warms up to it. Good luck!

Thank you all for your replies! This is all so frustrating. Because DD has special needs, she is not very verbal, so she can't really tell us what she wants. That leaves us scrambling to find something for her. It is so disappointing when she doesn't like what we get for her.

No.. However, I know so many people who are afraid of clowns and I've never been able to figure that out..:confused3

Does she have texture issues? Could the feeling of the hair bother her senses?

How about asking her if shaving one of the dolls heads will make her feel more comfortable and see if she will play with it that way. Maybe start by just cutting it down shorter and shorter and see if that helps?

Have you tried braiding the hair? Maybe pulling it back might help... or maybe getting her a doll with yarn hair or cloth hair and have her work up to the real-looking plastic hair?

My DD was scared of movies--the dark and loud sounds. So afraid she would shake under a blanket hiding from Curious George. I kept taking her to the free summer ones. We'd make it 15 minutes, a half hour sometimes before leaving. I took her every summer for 3-4 YEARS. Finally, this year, I gave her glow bracelets on each arm, a big bag of popcorn, and we had a break through. She just went to see Tangled for the 2nd time and loved it. No tears, shaking, nothing. So, I guess some of these things take time. I kept trying b/c I wanted to help her get over it, but I never forced her to stay and didn't get mad at her. That's why we only practiced at the free ones.

Does she have texture issues? Could the feeling of the hair bother her senses?

Thanks, but I don't believe it's a texture thing because she won't get close enough to touch it.

Have you tried braiding the hair? Maybe pulling it back might help... or maybe getting her a doll with yarn hair or cloth hair and have her work up to the real-looking plastic hair?

My DD was scared of movies--the dark and loud sounds. So afraid she would shake under a blanket hiding from Curious George. I kept taking her to the free summer ones. We'd make it 15 minutes, a half hour sometimes before leaving. I took her every summer for 3-4 YEARS. Finally, this year, I gave her glow bracelets on each arm, a big bag of popcorn, and we had a break through. She just went to see Tangled for the 2nd time and loved it. No tears, shaking, nothing. So, I guess some of these things take time. I kept trying b/c I wanted to help her get over it, but I never forced her to stay and didn't get mad at her. That's why we only practiced at the free ones.

We'll see if she warms up to Jasmine. It seems like a good choice since her hair is already pulled back.

I'm glad your DD can now enjoy movies. There's still hope for my DD and dolls!

My daughter was always scared of toys that talked! Sometimes toys that moved (ie, trains). She did grow out of it. I'm guessing constant exposure over the years. Kind of hard to avoid.

Talking dolls still scare/bother me. No idea why :confused3

OP - Is your daughter scared of dolls that have molded hair or just the nylon people-like hair? Your post reminded me of a Baby Jasmine doll (with molded black hair) that we have still MIB since DD has never really been into baby dolls.

OP - Is your daughter scared of dolls that have molded hair or just the nylon people-like hair? Your post reminded me of a Baby Jasmine doll (with molded black hair) that we have still MIB since DD has never really been into baby dolls.

Nope, just the ones with synthetic people-like hair. She has several with molded hair and some with plush hair, and none of these seem to bother her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter