OT: Traveling with shampoo

DawnM

DIS Veteran
Has anyone heard of such a thing as a dehydrated shampoo? You know, like it comes in powder form and you have to add water?

It would make (especially international) travel so much easier.

Dawn

I use a spray version of dry shampoo (although it doesn't require water). I find that it's great for a 'freshen up', but doesn't replace actual shampoo.

I have seen different types of dry shampoo, but I haven't used them yet, so I'd be interested to hear about it, too.

The Basin at DTD sells shampoo bars, which work great. No conditioner is needed. My hair is shoulder length, and I have no problems with the bars. Easy to pack and no worries about spills in luggage. :thumbsup2

I have not heard of the dehydrated shampoo.

Thanks. Someone else mentioned shampoo bars to me today. I need to look for them. They are certainly better than carrying a bottle of shampoo.

I dont' think there is such a thing as dehydrated shampoo....just wish someone would invent it.

The spray on shampoos make my hair feel even dirtier. I can't do those.

I am heading out for a 2.5-3 week trip to China.

Dawn

I generally just travel with a handful of the travel/trial sized bottles in a ziplock bag and have not had any problems. Its nice since I can jsut throw the bottles out when they are done and really don't feel bad about leaving them in a hotel if they aren't 100% empty. I have never had an issue with shampoo spilling, even in the ziplocks

DawnM said:
Has anyone heard of such a thing as a dehydrated shampoo? You know, like it comes in powder form and you have to add water?

It would make (especially international) travel so much easier.

Dawn

Yep, it's called Tide :lmao: Just kidding :goodvibes

Yes, I know this can be done, just wanted something lighter for a 3 week trip overseas.

I actually did have a bottle burst on an overseas flight. Guess I screwed it in too hard to make sure it wouldn't spill!

Thanks,

Dawn

ktglads said:
I generally just travel with a handful of the travel/trial sized bottles in a ziplock bag and have not had any problems. Its nice since I can jsut throw the bottles out when they are done and really don't feel bad about leaving them in a hotel if they aren't 100% empty. I have never had an issue with shampoo spilling, even in the ziplocks

Oh, wait, do you know where ELSE you can get them? I am not heading to Disney this time. And what is the brand?

Thanks,

Dawn

MdmMim said:
The Basin at DTD sells shampoo bars, which work great. No conditioner is needed. My hair is shoulder length, and I have no problems with the bars. Easy to pack and no worries about spills in luggage. :thumbsup2

I have not heard of the dehydrated shampoo.

I know they make and sell a powdered shampoo....just check local stores like Walmart and Target. Or give your local beauty supply store a call, I'm sure they can point you in the right direction. Won't you be staying in a hotel? they should have personal items for you there won't they? Just curious. I went to Japan for two weeks and still broiught my own conditioner, but used their shampoo and worked great! In fact, most hotels use a bulk dispenser there for shampp, conditioner and body wash....no little bottles to toss!

Burt's Bees has shampoo bars. They have them on their website and in whatever shops carry Burt's Bees products.

I think I've seen some of another brand in the camping/sports section of Walmart. It's not ideal, but when camping I've used Ivory bar soap to wash my hair. My hair is quite oily, so it works out OK. It would probably be bad for dry hair! Oh, I also think Aveeno makes a baby bar that is meant for body and hair, too.

Check out www.lush.com. They sell solid shampoo bars and tins. Perfect for travel. Their products are all handmade and smell wonderful. They also have a store in the Orlando airport.

No, they don't make anything that actually cleans your hair. They have dry powder shampoo, but that makes my hair feel even more dirty. I was talking about a powder you add with water.

I don't know about the hotels. When I was in Asia the last 2 times I didn't use hotels. I will ask the others who have gone before. Maybe there is shampoo there.

Dawn

Chickysmom said:
I know they make and sell a powdered shampoo....just check local stores like Walmart and Target. Or give your local beauty supply store a call, I'm sure they can point you in the right direction. Won't you be staying in a hotel? they should have personal items for you there won't they? Just curious. I went to Japan for two weeks and still broiught my own conditioner, but used their shampoo and worked great! In fact, most hotels use a bulk dispenser there for shampp, conditioner and body wash....no little bottles to toss!

Thanks. Have you used it? Does it work pretty well?

I won't be near the Orlando Airport, but maybe I can find it somewhere else.

Dawn

Kycha said:
Check out www.lush.com. They sell solid shampoo bars and tins. Perfect for travel. Their products are all handmade and smell wonderful. They also have a store in the Orlando airport.

Dawn,

I have tried it and it works very well. I find it works as well as bottled shampoo. Just make sure to keep it in the tin when not in use, because it does dissolve quickly. They sell about 15 different varieties. So, you can easily find something for your hair type. I use the Irresistible Bliss bar and I think it smells like heaven. I have easily ordered product online and over the phone.

Have a great trip. I am totally jealous.

Kycha

Kycha,

Have you tried the Burt's Bees shampoo bars? I have been reading and many have said that BB bars last forever.

I found BB products cheapest at drugstore.com. And they include free shipping on orders over $25.

Dawn

Kycha said:
Dawn,

I have tried it and it works very well. I find it works as well as bottled shampoo. Just make sure to keep it in the tin when not in use, because it does dissolve quickly. They sell about 15 different varieties. So, you can easily find something for your hair type. I use the Irresistible Bliss bar and I think it smells like heaven. I have easily ordered product online and over the phone.

Have a great trip. I am totally jealous.

Kycha

DawnM said:
Oh, wait, do you know where ELSE you can get them? I am not heading to Disney this time. And what is the brand?

Thanks,

Dawn

"Basin" IS the brand and you can also buy them on line at the Basin website. I can vouch for these shampoo bars as the way to go! There is even a chocolate-scented one.

I am very picky about hair products so I just shut them tightly and place in a sealed ziploc bag.

Thanks!,

Dawn

MEM said:
"Basin" IS the brand and you can also buy them on line at the Basin website. I can vouch for these shampoo bars as the way to go! There is even a chocolate-scented one.

DawnM said:
Kycha,

Have you tried the Burt's Bees shampoo bars? I have been reading and many have said that BB bars last forever.

I found BB products cheapest at drugstore.com. And they include free shipping on orders over $25.

Dawn
Sorry, Dawn, I have not tried BB's shampoo bars. I have tried some of their other products and have always been satisfied. I notice that their shampoo bar is gentle enough to use on a baby's face, body and hair. Sounds like a good product to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter