ot- toaster vs toaster oven

here757

DIS Veteran
background... my toaster is about to die.. the 3rd slot is burning everything.
its on its last leg. .. its had a good life LOL its about 10 years old..

now comes the hard part..
i want to replace it with something that is pratical..
i want to be able to make bagels..so i need wide slots.

today at lunch my friend recommended a toaster oven..

anyone have any thoughts?

i often make hot pockets. pizza pillows and stuff for the kids. i noticed on the boxes they have toaster over instructions and microwave.
are these items better in the toaster oven?

help!!
thanks in advance :)

Big fan of toaster ovens. You can toast up to 4 items, usually. Or toast large bagels easily. You can bake and sometimes broil.

We just bought a new toaster oven that mounts under the cabinet to save counter space. It's a Black & Decker. It's replacing another B&D that we've had for YEARS!

Dianne

Well, I have to say I use our toaster oven for everything! We have a really nice one that we bought after we got married....$100....and I think after 8 years it might be time to replace it, but we use it every day. I make everything from Bagel Bites to muffins.....chicken fingers, french fries, french toast sticks, frozen waffles/pancakes. I rarely use the regular oven unless I am cooking a casserole type dish. I also do not like using the microwave for warming up meats....just doesn't taste the same to me after it has been nuked. The toaster oven cooks alot faster too because the heat source is so much closer to the food...plus my oven seems like it takes forever to warm up to the right temp, but the toaster oven only takes a minute.

wow i knew you guys would help me out..
thanks soo much for the fast responses :)

Mom had a toaster oven long before we got our first microwave. Dh and I are nearly 20 yrs into marriage and just upgraded our 2nd basic toaster oven to a deluxe, larger model that will hold a full size frozen pizza. I have never owned a toaster.

You can make ANYTHING in a toaster oven. I bake muffin mixes (will hold a 6 muffin tin or a 12 muffin mini tin), pizzas, toast, 4-6 chicken breasts, real macaroni and cheese, hot dogs, everything I possibly can in our toaster oven. It heats up faster than the "big" oven, cooks a bit faster (much faster with the available convection setting), and lets me butter and sprinkle the bread before I toast it.

The one thing I don't like: the larger toaster oven takes longer to toast bread. The small one toasts in the same amount of time as a toaster, my bigger one takes longer, and that took getting used to.

But I would never buy a toaster when I could get a toaster oven instead.

I couldn't live without my toaster oven. I have a larger one. I hardly ever use my regular oven.

I LOVE my toaster oven.

But, I also LOVE my toaster.

They do NOT make toast the same way.

I have a $100 toaster oven, and a $7 toaster from Wal mart that has wide slots.

And those microwave foods are wayyyy better in the toaster oven.

LOVE my toaster oven! :thumbsup2 We do use the regular toaster for toast, but our toaster oven even does the round frozen pizzas (the pan is somewhat rounded in the back to accommodate a pizza tray) and that helps a lot when it is too hot to use our regular gas oven. We use ours all the time for just about everything!

I can't even imagine NOT having a toaster oven - I use it way more than my regular oven!

I LOVE my toaster oven.

But, I also LOVE my toaster.

They do NOT make toast the same way.

I have a $100 toaster oven, and a $7 toaster from Wal mart that has wide slots.

And those microwave foods are wayyyy better in the toaster oven.

Same here! We only had a toaster oven (no toaster) for many years (basically counter space considerations)...a couple years ago on vacation we had a toaster at the condo we rented...my kids begged to get one at home because the toast was so much better in the toaster...so I splurged and got a $9 one! :)

I remember scoffing at a toaster oven. this was when I was young and naive and thought only "old people" used tosaster ovens. Then we moved into a house newly married, broke and yes still young and naive. house didn't have a stove or an oven and we couldn't afford one. I borrowed a two burner cook plate from Gramma and dug out the toaster over we got as a wedding gift. I baked and cooked in that thing for almost a year! If it needed to be baked, broiled or toasted, I could find a way to do it. Finally got a range after that and put the toaster oven away. I bought a cheap toaster and used that for a while and eventually went back to the toaster oven! I love it I really do and I also found out that toaster ovens are NOT just for "Old People"!!:lmao:

Another toaster oven lover! We got ours as a shower gift and that's 16 years now! I love it and agree with all the other posters!

I think I'm one of the few people in the world who do not like a toaster oven.
I takes up way too much counter space.
I can see many of your good points for uses of it though. However we use the microwave daily.

I have a 4 slot toaster that can hold bangels. I just cannot think of toaster any other way.

I think I'm one of the few people in the world who do not like a toaster oven.
I takes up way too much counter space.
I can see many of your good points for uses of it though. However we use the microwave daily.

I have a 4 slot toaster that can hold bangels. I just cannot think of toaster any other way.

Ditto what she said :goodvibes:goodvibes

today at lunch my friend recommended a toaster oven..

anyone have any thoughts?

I'm a very big fan of toaster ovens. Never had a toaster in 22 years, always a toaster oven. Usually (with heavy usage) one lasts me 3-4 years. 3 years ago, someone got me a Cuisinart toaster oven. Best one I ever had! My favorite thing about it is that it cleans up beautifully. Even after several weeks of neglect, all the gunk on the removable bottom tray comes off easily.

I can't live without it at breakfast, have to have my butter on the toast absolutely melted. At my mom's vacation cottage (toaster only) I end up setting the buttered toast on top of the toaster horizontally, and hope the heat will melt the butter. I guess I'm a fanatic.

Also use the toaster over to cook lunch or dinner in a lot of days.

Boy, I'm having a productive day - :surfweb:

Happy shopping

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter