• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT - thyroid issues

CanadianPaco

I miss my tags!
I'm not one to do the "off topic" stuff but I have been diagnosed with a vascular nodule and goiter, hense the thyroid issue. It may be 2-3 months before I get into an endocrinologist in London, ON. This is kind of scary - has anyone else been through this sort of thing? :guilty:

I'm sorry for your diagnosis, and sorry you've got that delay to deal with.

I do NOT have that particular dx, just plain ol' hypothyroid, which is unbearably common. It seems like most of the treatments for other types of thyroid disease end up leaving you with the same kind of chronic low thyroid function I have--and just wanted to say, this part is EASY. Once I got my meds straightened out, I don't even think about it and it certainly doesn't have an impact on my life. (Unless I'm stupid enough to forget my pills for a couple of days, then I start to feel crappy.) The standard med, Synthroid, is cheap and has been around forever, so is well understood, and has few side-effects.

When I first got my dx, I got a LOT of really good info here:

http://thyroid.about.com/

It's got a lot of annoying pop-ups these days, but still worth a look.

It'll be ok. I know it's shocking, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

I don't know about your particular situation, but I'm also hypothyroid since DS 9 was born. I am sure the delay in seeing the doc is very worrysome, but it is true thyroid issues are very common. I also second the comment about going to thyroid/about. It is a great site.
I am on straight Thyroid supplement - it is like the Armour that US sites talk about - it is a natural thryoid extract, not synthetic and is better (in theory) for both the T3 and T4. It is just called Thyroid. Once my dose was adjusted I felt good - more energy etc.
Best of luck. Deb

I have a hyperthyroid/graves if you want to pm me I can answer any questions or you can ask me here.

I have had it for approx 2 years - They told me I couldn't have kids - I have a 9 month old.

Brandy

hi there. as with the others i dont have exactly that but i did have a lump on my neck as long as i can remember, about 20 years. it was thyroid cancer and ive gone through a total thyroidectomy so i to am on synthroid for the rest of my days. from what i understand really keep an eye on your energy levals. im am still not yet straight on my meds yet but hopefully soon theyl get straight. good luck

I am also hypothyroid since my firstborn was about 5 months old...so about 6 years now... I'm on medication... it has slowed down my metabolism... I am seeing a new endocrinologist now who is going to be more proactive about making sure my doses make me FEEL better...not just elevate my threshold THS levels... So I hope to feel better soon!

You should be fine... I don't know anythign about goiters... but being hypothyroid is highly treatable... Yeah, I"m on meds for the rest of my life...but at least it is treatable. :) It's pretty common...

As for the kids thing... I had three children, bing, bang, and boom. No trouble WHATSOEVER conceiving (first try first 2... big old DISNEY surprise 3rd one) got pregnant at 31, 33 and 35 years of age... So it didn't effect me whatsoever... My kids are now 2, 4 and 6...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter