OT: thinking of going back to school - anyone else?

I too was a SAHM until this past January when I went back to school to finish my degree in nursing that I started when I was 18. I am 32. It has been hard work, but I think it will be worth it.
I say go for it!

I got my AAS ar 44 and my BA at 50+. I work as a mechanical engineering technician but have also had stints as a recruiter and a chemical technician since graduation. YOU CAN DO IT! Education is so much more meaningful after one has lived a little - and you can find career counseling AND placement services at your school. I did my second degree at Empire State College - part of the SUNY system, but a college for adult learners. It was WONDERFUL! You GO, Girl! You will never regret it!

Wow, it's really great to read this thread! I'm 30 and I have an Associates degree and I have wanted to go back for a long time, but with 5 kids and DH in the military it hasn't happened yet. I'm curious to know how you all have decided what to major in? I can't seem to put my finger on one, actually that's why I dropped out ten years ago! I just can't make up my mind and with my time being so limited I'm afraid that I'll be wasting what little time I have if I don't find something I like/am good at the first time around, KWIM?

I really think it's a great way for me to find something that's ME, not just the kids. Congratulations on those who have done it!

I too quit my good paying job when my first child was born and became a SAHM. We had to make lots of sacrifices to compensate for the lost pay, but it was the decision best for us. When our second child was a few months old, I decided I wanted to go back to school to become a nurse. I have been back for 2 1/2 years and finally graduate in December. I will be 31 at the time. My classmates range in age from early 20's to mid 50's. I say go for it!!!!! It if you put your mind to it...... you can do anything :goodvibes :goodvibes

I was a SAHM and went back to school part-time when my youngest started preschool. It took me 7 years to complete a bachelor's degree in accounting. By that time my oldest two were out of highschool and my youngest two were in junior high. I got a great job, became a CPA, and because my employer had great tuition reimbursement, got an MBA. I guess I was in "study" mode for a long time. It is amazing what you can accomplish as an older student! I always had my books with me and managed to study in all kinds of places. I really encourage you to just go for it. Time will pass and you will be busy no matter what - you might as well be doing something that improves your future!!

Have you looked into online courses. Just be sure you pick a properly accredited school. I decided to do that as I am a stay at home mom of 4 (homeschooling 2 right now). I went with Indiana University, as a degree from them is highly respected and it is close enough that I can go there to take tests.
Can't say for sure how classes are yet as my husband decided after I went through applying and was accepted that he didn't want to pay for it. Also, found out that I could not get federal assistance for online only at IU. UGH, now I am frustrated.

Still, for very busy people (especiaaly moms or dads) the online education programs seem great.

Go for it!!!!! You have to be happy to make your family happy. Granted, it is tough to go back, but the rewards are endless. I am currently working full time (days) and go to school 1/2 time for nursing. We have 2 kids at home (ds 10 and dd 5). Yes, I think that sometimes I don't give them the attention that I could, but each day they see me accomplish something in education. I am a good role model for them to see that a college education is the way to go. I am 33 and have been going to school like this for 2 years. I fumbled with the idea for several years before I got the courage to say "I need a change."

Good Luck!!!! Your heart knows the answer.

petrymom

mrsbornkuntry said:
Wow, it's really great to read this thread! I'm 30 and I have an Associates degree and I have wanted to go back for a long time, but with 5 kids and DH in the military it hasn't happened yet. I'm curious to know how you all have decided what to major in? I can't seem to put my finger on one, actually that's why I dropped out ten years ago! I just can't make up my mind and with my time being so limited I'm afraid that I'll be wasting what little time I have if I don't find something I like/am good at the first time around, KWIM?

I really think it's a great way for me to find something that's ME, not just the kids. Congratulations on those who have done it!

I chose something that I felt would be employable - accounting. I figure that hanging a shingle out and doing small business and personal tax accounting can give me flexibility with my kids schedules. Or, if I want to stay in corporate America, I've got 20 years of IT and an accounting degree will make me very valuable in financial systems and/or audit.

But I did spend several years early in my career in corporate tax and finance, so I do know what I'm getting into. I really enjoyed that -- more than I enjoyed IT.

As I said, my first "most of a degree" is in Art History, which was fun, but not very employable.

Absolutely go back to school! I went back at 34. I got my B.S. in special education and later earned an M.S.ed in educational administration. Now I'm 47, I've been teaching middle school special education for 8 years and loving every minute of it (well, almost every minute). Follow your heart, it won't lead you astray.

Tippurr :teacher:

I am 33 and still trying to figure out "what I want to be when I grow up." I too have a good job at a large company - decent salary, great benefits, but very, very high stress. I have been there eight years, and my DH is now there too working a job that he is way, way over qualified for, just so we can pay the bills. We are both miserable there and planning to make a change - may mean going back to school. My advice is...

1.) Evalulate your life. Are you happy? Does your job and the money you make there feed into your circle of values, whatever they may be (e.g. security, time with family, giving back).

2.) If you are not happy, decide what you need to be happy. Is it that your career doesn't fulfill you? Is it that the area you live in doesn't work for you and your family? Is it that the job you have currently is too stressful? Is it that you have a personal goal of earning that degree?

3.) Figure out what career/degree would suit you best - your personal gifts and talents, what you want out of life, the lifestyle you want for your family. Are you filfilling your purpose here on Earth?

It is not about money. If you are in debt now, obviouslly you need to make a plan to deal with that. You have to pay your bills and meet your obligations. But while you are doing that, figure out your next step. Please don't just look for a high paying career. That may make other areas of your life suffer.

If you are going to invest the time and money in going back to school, make it count. It's OK if you end up starting over in another field, if what you will be doing is gona make you happy, your family happier in turn, and help you give back to the world.

Society may tell you that a big house, big car, and lots of stuff is what you are striving for (i.e. you need lots of money), but that is just a big ole lie that traps so many into a lifestyle that is making them miserable and just plain killing them. So many are living paycheck to paycheck while the credit card companies make a fortune off their mistfortune and mistakes. Take it from someone who knows and is working hard to make a change.

Going back to school at any age is a smart move, if you do so to help fulfill your purpose in life and if you do it to make your life and the life of others better. I wish you all the luck in the world.

I'm 30, and have a 4 year old son. I've been taking classes on and off since shortly after high school. I just started a full time nursing program last August. My son is now in daycare- which I think will be good for him when he makes the transition to kindergarten next year. It's tough financially, but I have some personal loans that are helping with living expenses.
(And Disney trips, LOL):rotfl2:

BUT- I will be done in December and have an associate's in nursing. They need nurses everywhere, and the scheduling is very flexible, the pay is quite decent.

Good luck- you won't regret it if you go back.

Wow, That longer post 2 messages back is sooooo true.
I work for a huge co. that had layoffs...the 3rd since I have been there. This time around I got sucked into the layoff. Holy Trauma!
I reacted instinctively...save myself a job! I secured nyself w/a new position in the same co. with the intention to LEARN as MUCH as I can in ALL their depts. to make myself more marketible.
On the other hand, Since I have had my daughter (now 5) I keep thinking daycare....teaching, children...learning. I really want to give to the kids...so they can give to society, and prosper.
Problem is, I have NO College degree (or time in.)
My career is in the art field (Sr. Art Director gone Graphic artist again.)
This change is a complete one. I have NO idea where to start.
We are in dept and go on vacation and have tons of bills. I can go to school probably through my job, if it is in my field, they will help pay for it.
So, I am confused, BUT i now know (after 38 years) what my second choice inb life would be....CHILDREN! :jumping1:

wen774 said:
Do it!!! I am a SAHM who is back in school as well. I take classes at night to be a paralegal and then I just need to finish a few credits to get my bachelors and I plan to go to law school. I love school and find that I am so much more interested and motivated this time around. I am also 30 and I admit that it freaks me out a bit that I will probably be 36 by the time I finish law school, but its worth it for me. Good luck to you!

I'm a SAHM who just finsihed getting my bachelors and will be staring law school in August. I'll be 40 when I graduate.

I graduated from Nursing school with an Associates in General Studies along with my Nursing Diploma 10+ years ago-yikes. Now at 31, I am taking classes to get my bachelors and then plan to go on to PA school or to get my masters and my NP degree. It is extremely hard at times, my kids are 14,8,5, and 3 but definately worth it.

chobie said:
I'm a SAHM who just finsihed getting my bachelors and will be staring law school in August. I'll be 40 when I graduate.

Thank you for posting.

After changing my major 3 or 4 times I am still working on my BS and hope to enter law school or the MBA program as my second choice at William and Mary. You give me hope! :goodvibes

Go for it!! I'm a full-time college student too and I really am happy that I decided to go back. I'm graduating in May with my associates but will only have a year to go for my bachelors since I have time in from a couple of years ago. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Hey wen774!! Nice to see someone here from my area!! I live near Ligonier, where are you going to school. I'm at WCCC.

While I'm not thinking about going back to school in the near future, I did make the decision at one point in my life and was happy I did. I had a BA and an MA in Art History and was working at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. Wonderful job, but it didn't pay much. A family situation arose where it looked like I would need to make more money than I was, so I went back to school and got a paralegal certificate. It's been almost 20 years since I changed jobs and I love being a legal assistant. Currently I work in Washington DC for a multi-national corporation and am the sole breadwinner for the family (DH stays home with the DD2). I even went back to school a few years ago and got a second MA in Military History, just for fun. I say do it and don't look back.

That was a cool job, but couldn't have paid much! My "most of a first" degree is in Art History - and I was intending to go to grad school for Comparative Literature. My minor was History (mostly European). But education in those fields doesn't translate into a high salary - it translates into "better have married well" and "can make good small talk at parties." Which is fine - doing something rewarding is really wonderful, but you need to be able to afford to do something rewarding.

This is an update from my original post:

I'm finally doing it! I'm turning 31 this summer and have finally decided to transfer my measley 28 Penn State credits and go back to college! I am just going to go to a 2-year school at this point and will go to our local "used to be junior" college (Lackawanna College in case anyone's ever heard of it - doubt it!). Anyway...

I am torn between 3 vastly different degree programs: biotechnology, environmental science (sciene emphasis, not policy), and paralegal.

I don't want to answer phones for a living (been there/done that) and I want an actual career doing something FUN, so... does anyone have any insight on any of the above?

Also, a couple of the courses I took in *gulp* 1992/93 will transfer, but I think it might be smart to retake them anyway. For example, the intro to chemistry and intro to college writing. I'm thinking it was over 10 years ago and will remember NONE of it, plus I'm sure that things have changed for the writing of papers these days, right? Should I pay to take the same class again or take a chance and just take the next class along the sequence?

Thanks so much if anyone can help a nervous returning student....

~Danielle

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter