• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT - Tent camping - where to go?

Karenj2

Hot dog, hot dog, hot diggity dog!
DH and I would like to go tent camping with my sister, her DH and their two kids (7 & 3) this July (tentatively 7/18-7/20). We're trying to figure out where to go that's within ~ 3 hours from the Philly area that has some attraction nearby (beach, amusement park, touristy stuff, etc.). We'd prefer not to go to the Jersey Shore (BTDT).

Can you help me think of places that we could go that'd interest both adults and kids?

My thoughts:
Hershey Park
Chincoteague
Rohoboth
Lewes/Cape Henelopen

Tell me your experiences - good and bad...

Also, is it possible to have two tents on one site? DH and I have a 4 person tent for the two of us, and Dsis' family has another... I'd like to share one site if we can.

Have you ever camped at a Jellystone park? My kids love going there. I know there are a few in the PA area. We actually drove up from Alabama last year and stayed at one while we went to Hershey, and Gettysburg.

Their website is www.campjellystone.com. The thing I like about it is they are always having some type of activities and games for the kids to get in on. I think you can have 2 tents on one site but you may have to pay just a little extra.

Our family loves Gettysburg or Lancaster. Either place is a wonderful time. Either place is great with lots of activities.

If you like Ocean City, Maryland, check out this campground-www.frontiertown.com. I have never stayed there, but it is on my list. It is supposed to be really nice. Also in Lancaster try out www.oldmillstreamcampground.com. The campground is beautiful and amazingly quiet since it is on the main drag. It is next to Dutch Wonderland. In Lancaster you also have the Sights and Sounds Theater which is excellent and you could take a ride on the Strasburg Railroad along with all the Amish attractions.

DH and I would like to go tent camping with my sister, her DH and their two kids (7 & 3) this July (tentatively 7/18-7/20). We're trying to figure out where to go that's within ~ 3 hours from the Philly area that has some attraction nearby (beach, amusement park, touristy stuff, etc.). We'd prefer not to go to the Jersey Shore (BTDT).

Can you help me think of places that we could go that'd interest both adults and kids?

My thoughts:
Hershey Park
Chincoteague
Rohoboth
Lewes/Cape Henelopen

Tell me your experiences - good and bad...

Also, is it possible to have two tents on one site? DH and I have a 4 person tent for the two of us, and Dsis' family has another... I'd like to share one site if we can.

I've stayed at the Hershey Campground. It was nice, clean & reasonable. We took a long weekend Thurs-Mon. Fri & Sat the place was packed but the other days we pretty much were alone.

I don't know about 2 tents on one site, but I don't see why not. We had a MASSIVE 3 room tent... I think it was like 12'x20'...slept at least 8 & we had plenty of room.

It's probably a little further but Knoebels has tent camping and there is an amusement park & pool there. You can also visit Ashland to do the coal mining tour.

www.knoebels.com

If you like Ocean City, Maryland, check out this campground-www.frontiertown.com. I have never stayed there, but it is on my list. It is supposed to be really nice. Also in Lancaster try out www.oldmillstreamcampground.com. The campground is beautiful and amazingly quiet since it is on the main drag. It is next to Dutch Wonderland. In Lancaster you also have the Sights and Sounds Theater which is excellent and you could take a ride on the Strasburg Railroad along with all the Amish attractions.

That's funny - I actually live in southern chester county... I'd like to take my sister to Strasburg.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter