OT - Swimming lessons in Durham Region

TashaRVT

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming... what do
Hello all my fellow Durham region-ites!

I'm hoping someone can help me! My 6 year old son is in desperate need of swimming lessons that ARE NOT offered through a town/city. He's a very timid swimmer, and it's been recommended that he do Level 1 AGAIN (it'll be his 3rd time) :scared1: , and I'm not really seeing any improvement with his skills.

It's not that I have a beef with the city-run lessons, I just think they're not for every kid. My daughter excels in them, but she's a fairly strong swimmer, and is not afraid of the water. The instructors are just a bunch of teenagers, and they can't be expected to be able to handle such a specialized case when they have little official training. I'm in Ajax, but I'd be willing to travel to Pickering or Whiby for a good place.

Can anyone help me?? :confused3 :confused3

not in Durham any longer, but my daughter took private lessons at McLean Community Centre. We preferred the individual lesson they offered there.

I really didn't care for the Ajax community centre.

I do know someone who does private as well, I will look for the information an send you a private message.

It might be too far from Ajax, but we recommend Swim Kids of Scugog. They are in Port Perry. We travel from Whitby.

Perhaps the private lessons at the community centres?? They are more $, but I believe they have 1 on 1 or 1:2 ratios.

My girls have always done swim lessons at the YMCA, and I think they are good for beginners. The kids move up at their own pace, once they meet the requirements they move up,. Most of the time there has never been more than 5 kids to one teacher.

My girls have always done swim lessons at the YMCA, and I think they are good for beginners. The kids move up at their own pace, once they meet the requirements they move up,. Most of the time there has never been more than 5 kids to one teacher.

Another vote for the Durham YMCA. Most YMCA's (you'll have to check though) have rolling registration, meaning that there are no 10 week sessions or w/e the city offers, the child simply attends every week at the same day/time for as long as they want (could be 4 months, could be 4 years) without the pressure of completing a level in a certain amount of time.

I have a friend who took private lessons at the Holiday Day Inn in Oshawa and found the lessons to exceed her expectations - and she's picky!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter