OT: Suggestions for a treasure chest

jeepgirl30

DIS Veteran
We are going on vaca this summer to a beach with a few other families. DH had an idea last year we'd do this year, get a treasure chest and fill with trinkets for all the kids and then he'd bury it on the beach.

I've been collecting little things all year to put in, dollar items, bubbles, crafts, etc. I would love to get all the kids personalized items but not sure how to swing it (5-6 kids 18 mths - 8 yrs).

Now i'm realizing I need the treasure chest! I don't want to pay a lot of money or have something that lasts. Any ideas???

Oriental Trading and Rhode Island Novelty sell treasure chests full of novelties. I'm not sure if you can buy the chests seperatly, but you could check their websites.

You said you don't want something that lasts right? I was thinking that you should just get a rubbermaid container and decorate it. You could cover it in brown paper (the big roles of fadeless paper are best for this) and then draw on latches or cover it with pirate themed stickers. This way, after they go through it all, you could still store everything in the plastic case.

We are going on vaca this summer to a beach with a few other families. DH had an idea last year we'd do this year, get a treasure chest and fill with trinkets for all the kids and then he'd bury it on the beach.

I've been collecting little things all year to put in, dollar items, bubbles, crafts, etc. I would love to get all the kids personalized items but not sure how to swing it (5-6 kids 18 mths - 8 yrs).

Now i'm realizing I need the treasure chest! I don't want to pay a lot of money or have something that lasts. Any ideas???

http://www.orientaltrading.com/application?namespace=search&origin=searchMain.jsp&event=button.search&Ntt=treasure+chest&Ntk=all&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&N=0

Here are some starters. Maybe they can each dig one up. Especially because of the age range. Have fun!!

I found some at Hobby Lobby. They were made of cardboard (or something like it:confused3 ) for less than $10. There were various sizes. I then bought some cheap craft paints and "jewels" to decorate the box. Came out looking very cool! My DS still uses the thing 5 years later! :thumbsup2

Check a local craft store for a treasure chest - Michael's, AC Moore, whatever you have around you. They typically have unfinished wooden boxes and I think they have treasure chests. I made a Princess Treasure for DD5's birthday party this year. I got a medium sized box with a lid (a little larger than a shoe box for around $1), spray painted it gold, and hot-glued plastics gems to the top of it. I hid it in the sand box as the end prize of a scavenger hunt and it was big enough to hold goodie bags for 12 kids. I didn't want a typical Pirate-type treasure chest, so I just used a rectangular box with rounded edges. DD has it on her dresser to hold all her play jewelry, but it is not particularly sturdy (I think it is balsa wood or the equivalent). It turned out great, especially since I was not looking to make an heirloom piece. The wood is quite thin. I remember there were larger boxes for more money, but I don't remember how big the treasure chest was. I probably used a coupon to get it for $1. Good luck in your search!

Funny you asked, I just posted this on another thread but what you do is go to the Dollar Tree and get the styrofoam cooler and spray paint it gold add some jewel stickers, brown ribbon for the leather straps and fill with your treasures. Much cheaper and easier, good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter