OT: South Seas Island Resort, Captiva Island

minnie4me

DIS Veteran
Has anyone stayed here in the last year?
I have booked a summer vaca here, and am starting to worry about the choice. Saw several less than stellar reviews, mostly that the resort has gone down hill over last few years. I am sure it is no GF, but am always looking for someplace clean with a friendly, dependable staff.
Am posting on multiple boards, but any input would be appreciated.

I havn't stayed there but did see it and it looked nice. I would check out Tripadviser.com

I've spent every summer since childhood at Captiva. South Seas is still a wonderful place. It sustained a lot of damage after the hurricanes in 2004 and had to undergo major renovations. A lot of regular visitors were upset with the more modern flair and missed the more nostalgic old Florida feel of the resort.

Either way I bet you'll love it! Sea shells galore, lots of wildlife, and overall the island has a very laid back "island time" feel to it. Be sure to visit the Bubble Room!

Ooh, what's the bubble room ?
have you ever stayed in one of the villas? We are staying in a 2 bedroom, I believe on the north end near the big pool...most worried about the cleanliness of the place. My mom is nutty about a clean place, I am somewhat nutty, but bot as bad;)
We are ready to try a more laid back vacation, not standing in line 40 minutes for a 2 minute ride.
since it is a nature area, is there a preserve, museum, nature trail type place to check out?
It seems I am getting a better vibe from the Disers...

We used to go there a lot, but it's been over 10 years. The North end is better. The villas are often condos rented through the property and each vary depending on the owner. I believe the Land's End section is the best one.

We stopped going because we missed the great service they used to have, but I will say that the nature there is the most memorable in my whole life. We've seen infestations of snook and dolphins everywhere. The fishing was the greatest I've ever experienced with snook and amberjack on every cast and dolphins following the boat and doing tricks with the jacks we released (tossing them up in the air before eating them).

There is a great small golf course with magnificent views. The beach is just okay. The new pool area at the Pointe looks pretty good. Oh and the Bubble Room is a restaurant just outside the property.

Advice: Before leaving the mainland for the Sanibel bridge, stop at a Publix or Walmart to stock up. The bridge is a toll road and a long slow drive to get to the end (South Seas). There is a beautiful park right down the street if you get bored of the property.

Bubble Room is a fun place on the Island to eat. There is a nature preserve out that way as well. You will also see wildlife by just being on the island. Sanibel/Captiva Islands are both laid back & known for their natural beauty. You will be going off season so traffic will not be much of a problem. During season it can be. If you do a search for Lee County Tourism, you will get more info on the wildlife that is there :thumbsup2

I can't help you with the cleanliness @ South Seas. I have never stayed there. I live about 20 to 25 minutes from the bridge to the islands. The place still has a great reputation down here if that eases your mind any.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter